Goodreads Feedback discussion

Unsolicited Praise > This Site is Dangerously Addictive

Comments (showing 1-38 of 38) (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Betsy | 604 comments I find myself spending hours in GR every day (thankfully I'm retired). Searching books, tinkering with my shelves, reading discussions -- all fun and time consuming, to the detriment of my housekeeping, my tax return, and even my reading. I keep discovering new features to entice me.

Lobstergirl | 4079 comments Seek help, Betsy.

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3709 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Seek help, Betsy."

Like a support group? You think there's one here on Goodreads? :P

message 4: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 11050 comments Mod
GRA? Goodreaders Anonymous?

Natalie (nkmeyers) | 256 comments I think I may need a life membership in GRA! ;)

Sashana | 124 comments I need some 'help' too.

Paul | 382 comments Mwwahaha... you will never escape...

Stephanie (StephTheBookworm) (StephTheBookworm) | 19 comments Goodreads > Facebook

Paul | 382 comments It was suggested some time ago that this site should change its name to Bookface. But they didn't.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha! I would laugh, just cause it's funny.

Ian Paganus | 158 comments I am only new to GR, but I would be a lot happier if it would take over the rest of my life as well. Not just music, film, news, jokes, but why can't they organise everything else I do, so it stays organised, looks great, educates and amuses you, helps you find interesting people and you want to go back for a peek at least once every day.

Savita (HaltRanger) | 176 comments Yep, I know exactly how you feel. It's currently 1:28 AM, and I have no intentions of logging off anytime soon.

Kerry (kerrycrow) | 6 comments I knew I was in trouble when I realized one day I'd spent more time on Goodreads than actually reading a book. :(

message 14: by JK (last edited Feb 27, 2011 07:04PM) (new)

JK (eimajtl) | 111 comments Goodreads is like Google. It's super awesome and I find myself using it every single day, but not without the suspicion of dark magic being used. You can't possiblly have this great and addicting of a service with out it.

It's a vicious cycle this site is. Updating my book lists, browsing books, finding new things to read, reading those books, coming back here to update my status on them, then browsing again, finding more books, reading those books, updating, browsing, reading, updating, browsing, reading. It's an impossible loop to get away from!

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3709 comments Kerry wrote: "I knew I was in trouble when I realized one day I'd spent more time on Goodreads than actually reading a book. :("

I do that a lot... *sigh*

Tammy Walton Grant (tamgrant) | 99 comments Kerry wrote: "I knew I was in trouble when I realized one day I'd spent more time on Goodreads than actually reading a book. :("

Thank God, it's not just me! :D

Ian Paganus | 158 comments Kerry wrote: "I knew I was in trouble when I realized one day I'd spent more time on Goodreads than actually reading a book. :("

I have only been on the site for a week or less, and already my pile of unread newspapers is growing.
The irony is that I buy and read newspapers in the hope of reading just one interesting or stimulating thing, often without success.

Savita (HaltRanger) | 176 comments Tammy wrote: "Kerry wrote: "I knew I was in trouble when I realized one day I'd spent more time on Goodreads than actually reading a book. :("

Thank God, it's not just me! :D"

And I thought I was the only one!

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) | 138 comments Ian wrote: "Kerry wrote: "I knew I was in trouble when I realized one day I'd spent more time on Goodreads than actually reading a book. :("

I have only been on the site for a week or less, and already my pi..."

I have a HUGE stack of unread magazines from subscriptions last year. I didn't renew any of them since I have a backlog to read. lol

Paul | 382 comments Ian - after a while a very clear distinction becomes clear between a professional review and a good Goodreads review - the GR one is so much more fun and/or passionate and certainly more unpredictable. The professional one, leaving aside the ever present taint of careerist backscratching, begins to seem pompous and self-regarding.

Manny (mannyrayner) | 91 comments Hey, we've got pompous and self-regarding reviewers too! That's what I like about GR - the complete spectrum is represented. Perhaps not quite enough careerist backscratching yet, but give it time...

Luann (AZbookgal) | 422 comments JK wrote: "...browsing books, finding new things to read, reading those books, coming back here to update my status on them, then browsing again, finding more books, reading those books, updating, browsing, reading, updating, browsing, reading. It's an impossible loop to get away from!"

LOL! JK, you've described it perfectly.

Ian Paganus | 158 comments Manny wrote: "Hey, we've got pompous and self-regarding reviewers too! That's what I like about GR - the complete spectrum is represented. Perhaps not quite enough careerist backscratching yet, but give it time..."

Please forgive me, Manny.
I initially read your comment as "the complete scrotum is represented".
Perhaps, I'd subconsciously read ahead and sensed the word "scratching" coming.

Ian Paganus | 158 comments Paul wrote: "Ian - after a while a very clear distinction becomes clear between a professional review and a good Goodreads review - the GR one is so much more fun and/or passionate and certainly more unpredicta..."

Here's to the unprofessional!
I think part of the problem is that professional writers don't drink as much as they used to (hic).

Paul | 382 comments Although one good thing about professional reviews is that there aren't any lolcats.

Ian Paganus | 158 comments There you go.
I have never once seen the word "lolcat" in a Murdoch publication.
By way of tribute, I am going to throw out the bottom three days of newspapers on my pile.

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3709 comments Ian wrote: "There you go.
I have never once seen the word "lolcat" in a Murdoch publication."

That's because he has no soul. ;)

Stephanie (StephTheBookworm) (StephTheBookworm) | 19 comments Paul wrote: "Although one good thing about professional reviews is that there aren't any lolcats."

I happen to love lolcats and think reviews could only be improved by the use of them. :)

Cheryl in CC NV (cherylllr) | 2823 comments Obviously Betsy struck a chord by opening this thread topic. At least a GR addiction isn't as debilitating or expensive as certain others. Not quite, anyway. For most of us. I think. Well - hmm... - at least it's not illegal!

Paul | 382 comments Except in Iran.

Ian Paganus | 158 comments Cheryl wrote: "Obviously Betsy struck a chord by opening this thread topic. At least a GR addiction isn't as debilitating or expensive as certain others. Not quite, anyway. For most of us. I think. Well - hm..."

Ironically, so far, GR has stimulated me to read or re-read what I already own, rather than go out and buy new books.
Of course, I will probably spend the "savings" on CD's.

Vivian (_vivian) | 13 comments I love hearing about the "addictions", makes me feel a little more normal for checking in multiple times a day :D

Karendenice I'm an addict of GR and proud of it. And all of the people are so nice.

Vivian (_vivian) | 13 comments It's a great community of people, isn't it? That's part of what makes GR so fun :)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 8203 comments How addicted am I? Goodreads is my home page.

Betsy | 604 comments Well, I'm not that bad. News is my homepage. But I do keep Goodreads open all the time.

Karendenice I also keep GR open all the time. Although I haven't been able to do much on it for awhile due to having surgery on my right (dominant) hand. But it's getting better and I'm slowly increasing the time I spend on here. Of course, it's taking away my reading time. :D

unread topics | mark unread