Fans of Maps discussion

Share travel/ cartography books > Our bookshelves!

Comments (showing 1-44 of 44) (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cheryl in CC NV (cherylllr) | 597 comments Mod
Betsy has kindly agreed to set up the bookshelves for the group for us. Yay! Everyone please be kind and thankful.... :)

She'll be poking around the discussion threads and her own memory for books to add to get them started. Please if you have anything you'd like added to the shelves, don't do it yourself, but rather post the title and author here. That way she can make sure our shelves stay organized and that way they'll be most useful.

Make it easier for her, please, by using the little 'add book/author' link right on the top of the comment box, rather than just typing the title directly - that way she can link directly to the book.

And if she decides not to shelve your suggested book because it doesn't fit, please be ok with that. Feel free to start a discussion thread in the appropriate folder - we like to talk about books, too, not just shelve them.

My hope is that we'll have shelves that we can all use to get ideas not only for more books to read, but for reference resources, too.

If you need to ask me something, please send a PM - please reserve this thread for books we want Betsy to shelve, not a discussion of shelves.

Thanks, all of you, for helping this group grow into such a friendly and interesting place to visit!

message 2: by E.P. (last edited Feb 28, 2011 02:50PM) (new)

E.P. Shirleyjack | 10 comments The Ghost Map  The Story of London's Most Terrifying Epidemic--and How It Changed Science, Cities, and the Modern World by Steven Johnson

This is a well written, entertaining, non-fiction account of a cholera outbreak in which the source of the infection was identified by mapping the locations of infected individuals and local wells - the first instance of geographic epidemiology, which probably saved a lot of lives. This historical example is used a lot in classes on information presentation, and this author presents it very well.

message 3: by E.P. (last edited Feb 28, 2011 02:50PM) (new)

E.P. Shirleyjack | 10 comments Mapping Mars  Science, Imagination, and the Birth of a World by Oliver Morton

This book includes a nice history of mapmaking in the context of mapping the surface of Mars.

Welcome Stemplehair - thanks so much for your contributions! I do think both of these books look interesting.

Betsy | 119 comments Cheryl wrote: "Welcome Stemplehair - thanks so much for your contributions! I do think both of these books look interesting."

I agree. I have added both.

E.P. Shirleyjack | 10 comments Betsy wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "Welcome Stemplehair - thanks so much for your contributions! I do think both of these books look interesting."

I agree. I have added both."

Cool!:)

I was just poking around on the shelves and I gotta say, Betsy has listed some really interesting resources and some fun (if geeky) reads.

GR is looking into making our books actually show on the first screen, but meanwhile just click through to any of the shelves and you'll see what's there. Enjoy!

Betsy | 119 comments Cheryl wrote: "I was just poking around on the shelves and I gotta say, Betsy has listed some really interesting resources and some fun (if geeky) reads."

I can't help it, I'm a geek. :)

Thanks Jane! Betsy and I are looking at them and figuring out which, if any, actually fit best on our shelves. Probably the latter two.

Paul | 126 comments Betsy wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "I was just poking around on the shelves and I gotta say, Betsy has listed some really interesting resources and some fun (if geeky) reads."

I can't help it, I'm a geek. :)"

I say let your geek flag fly.

message 12: by Betsy (last edited Mar 30, 2011 03:12PM) (new)

Betsy | 119 comments Paul wrote: "I say let your geek flag fly"

That's one of the good things about getting older; I'm less concerned about others perceptions of me and can allow myself to be myself.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm too nerdy to be a geek.

Ok, Cyborg, since I don't understand your comment, does that mean I'm neither?

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

No idea Cheryl. It was just getting popular in here to declare yourself a geek. As I've never been popular I decided to declare myself otherwise. I was just being contrary. :)

Oh, clever. I've never been witty, so I'm a bit slow sometimes, sorry. Well hey, you're popular here!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

What an amazing tour Paul. I wish my bookshelves where that tidy and organised. :)

Jayme (jaymeb) I saw Cartographies of Time: A History of the Timeline at the comic book store today. It's kind of like a map of time? Anyway I thought it was really interesting looking and thought I'd share!

Betsy | 119 comments Thanks, Jayme. Looks interesting. I added it to the group bookshelves.

And I added it to my wishlist - it looks very appealing to those geeks among us who want to analyze everything - thanks!

message 22: by Cheryl in CC NV (last edited Aug 09, 2011 04:40PM) (new)

I just read Mapping Penny's World which would be a terrific resource for teaching young children how to make and read maps. Could you fit it into the shelves somewhere?

It's geography month at the picture-book club in the group Children's Books. The master list for August 2011 has books we can use in Our First Challenge here. You don't need to be a member to look at the shelves or read the discussions there.

How I Learned Geography is a much more powerful book. It's also harder to classify. I strongly recommend it to everyone here, but I couldn't guess how to shelve it.

Betsy | 119 comments I added a Children's shelf to the group shelves, with both of these books. Cheryl, you do a lot of children's books. You certainly don't need to wait for me to add them.

I just don't want to get carried away, but only to add what's truly worthy. I like to have suggestions get vetted. I know, I'll pause and think WWBD - what would Betsy do, would she approve this if she'd read it... :)

Betsy | 119 comments Yes, but for some categories -- travel, and now children -- you're much better qualified than me. I've never had children, and I hate travel. So I'm relying on your recommendations. ;)

Not sure which shelf we should put this on, but we gotta add Maphead: Charting the Wide, Weird World of Geography Wonks Maphead  Charting the Wide, Weird World of Geography Wonks by Ken Jennings by Ken Jennings Ken Jennings!

Betsy | 119 comments I'd suggest Mapmakers. Want me to add it?

Yes thank you!

Is anyone at all familiar with Names on the Land: A Historical Account of Place-Naming in the United States? It looks like it has potential.... ?

Alex Just saw a review of that new Ken Jennings book. Sounds like it's exactly up our alley. I mean, he covers everything I love: the history of maps; the weirdness of the world; geocaching. Whee!

Yeah, I'm excited about that Jennings book. Maybe we should group read it next year....

Alex Agreed!

Betsy | 119 comments Me too.

Paul | 126 comments Sounds good to me.

I just added two books that I own. Betsy, if I mis-shelved them, please fix.
Atlas of Science: Visualizing What We Know
The Image of the World: 20 Centuries of World Maps
They're both coffee-table books with lots of illustrations.

Betsy | 119 comments I just added a couple of shelves to those books. Good choices.

Thanks!

Hi all, it's been awhile so I thought it would be a good idea to bump this thread and to clarify its purpose. This is for nominations of books for our group bookshelves. Betsy and I vet books before we shelve them, and not every nomination will earn shelf space.

The shelves are a resource of books that we have some special reason for shelving. We are not looking to fill them with the bazillion travel books out there. (We had a group challenge about Reading Around the World but it's done now so we don't need more books for those shelves.)

Please *do* make nominations of all books that you find related to maps, that you think are worthy. But explain why you think they should go on our shelves, please.

Betsy, all, I see a new book on the radar - what do you think of On the Map: A Mind-Expanding Exploration of the Way the World Looks? It looks like a good fit for cartography - has anyone added to their to-read shelves yet?

Betsy | 119 comments Looks interesting, but a lot of overlap with books I/we've already read like Maphead: Charting the Wide, Weird World of Geography Wonks and The Ghost Map. However, the history of GPS may be worth it.

I'd err on the side of adding it, thanks.

message 43: by Betsy (last edited Dec 12, 2012 03:39PM) (new)

Betsy | 119 comments Oh, I did. My reservations were only for my own personal reading decision. Every one should be able to decide for themselves. I'm sorry I wasn't clear.

All good Betsy, thank you.