Nothing but Reading Challenges discussion

Monthly/Seasonal Challenges > Luck of the Irish Challenge

Comments (showing 1-50 of 100) (100 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Lisarenee, your friendly neighborhood moderator (last edited Feb 22, 2011 08:56AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 8258 comments

This challenge is in honor of St. Patrick's Day taking place on March 17th and is one of two challenges for the Month of March. It goes from March 1st until March 31st. As I am 1/2 Irish I have always loved this holiday. So for one month I give you all permission to share in my Irish heritage and wear green on the 17th and have fun thinking of the Emerald Isle and the wee folk whose pot of gold always seems to elude all those treasure hunters.

Option 1 - Read books set in Ireland, about Ireland, written by an Irish author or that contain characters with Irish names
Option 2 - Read books with green covers
Option 3 - Read books with a Fae creature or creatures in them. Leprechauns are a type of Fae so we'll go ahead and include all Fae in this challenge.
Option 4 - Read any combination of books listed above
Option 5 - Read books that have titles that begin with, or character names that begin with, or authors whose name begins with letters included in another of our famous spell it out lists. As always you can exclude the words 'the', 'a', 'an', etc from the beginning of the title and start with the next word.

Levels:
Easy - 3 to 4 books.

Fae
Beer
Gold

Moderate - 5 - 7 books.
Irish
Lucky
Magic
Green
Charms
Banshee
Emerald
Rainbow
Ireland

Difficult - Read 8+ books.
Banshees
Emeralds
Rainbows
Green Beer
Pot of Gold
Leprechaun
Rabbit's Foot
Emerald Isle
Lucky Charms
Kiss Me I'm Irish
Four Leaf Clover
Luck of the Irish
Leaping Leprechauns

Gabrielle    ~ Bhlack  Benehvolence ~ (werewolfgrl1) | 429 comments Your allowed to use a book from a challenge your already working on right?

message 4: by The UHQ Nasanta (last edited Feb 22, 2011 07:28PM) (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 849 comments How about Irish authors as an option? If that's a go, I would like to use the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer. I've been meaning to read it since the first book came out.

message 5: by Lisarenee, your friendly neighborhood moderator (new)

Lisarenee | 8258 comments Niquae, I will change it to include them. What a great thought. I'm also going to change it to include anything that is about the fae since I believe leprechauns are a type of fae and are magically inclined.

message 6: by Lacy♪ ♫Movements of a Demigod ♪ ♫ (last edited Feb 22, 2011 08:13AM) (new)

Lacy♪ ♫Movements of a Demigod ♪ ♫ (lb3553) | 454 comments Easy Level:
0/3 Complete

Fae Book- The Iron King by Julie Kagawa
Green Cover- Green eyed Demon by Jaye Wells
Green Cover- Gone by Lisa McMann

Say (say_22) | 21 comments hi how long is this challenge?

message 8: by Lisarenee, your friendly neighborhood moderator (new)

Lisarenee | 8258 comments This one is for the Month of March. So it goes from March 1st until March 31st.

Say (say_22) | 21 comments okies...thanks!

message 10: by Gabrielle ~ Bhlack Benehvolence ~ (last edited Mar 23, 2011 08:12AM) (new)

Gabrielle    ~ Bhlack  Benehvolence ~ (werewolfgrl1) | 429 comments I have some other March challenges that I'm doing so for the moment I'm sticking with the easy level.

Easy Level - Option Four

2/3 Complete

Fae Book - The Immortal Highlander (Highlander, #6) by Karen Marie Moning Done! 3-7-2011 5/5 Stars!

Fae Book - Tithe (The Modern Faerie Tales, #1) by Holly Black

Book with Green Cover - Done! 3-21-2011 4/5 Stars! Night Embrace (Dark-Hunter, #2) (Were-Hunter, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon

message 11: by Jessica (BookRockGodess) (last edited Mar 01, 2011 10:00AM) (new)

Jessica (BookRockGodess) Bolton (BookRockGodess) I am part Irish also and we always celebrate this holiday in my house so I will do option 4 and easy level of option 5:

Option 4 - Read any combination of books listed above
Option 5 - Read books that have titles that begin with, or character names that begin with, or authors whose name begins with letters included in another of our famous spell it out lists.

1.Green Cover Really Angelic  Pride and Prejudice with a steamy paranormal twist by Enid Wilson

Easy - 3 to 4 books.
Fae

Erika | 134 comments Ohhh....this challenge sounds really good! I have no idea what I'm going to do yet. Maybe a combination of the fae challenge and the green cover challenge.

Is Glimmerglass a fae book? I have that one out of the library already so if it fits I'll definitely read it.

Also, are goblins fae? I seriously have to find a list because I might just keep asking you guys every time I see a book...ha ha!

Sashana | 6358 comments Glimmerglass is a fae book.

message 14: by Sarah (last edited Mar 24, 2011 06:47PM) (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 232 comments Luck of the Irish
Option 5
Duration: March 1-March 31
Completed: 2/8

E:Enter the Night by Maggie Berkley 3.20.11
M:Once a Witch by Carolyn MacCullough
E:The Betrayal of Maggie Blair by Elizabeth Laird
R:Rot & Ruin by Jonathan Maberry
A:Abithica by Susan Goldsmith 3.5.11
L:The Lipstick Laws by Amy Holder
D:Dime Store Magic by Kelley Armstrong
S:Sea Change by Aimee Freidman

Enter the Night (Morgan Crowe Trilogy) by Maggie Berkley Once a Witch (Witch, #1) by Carolyn MacCullough The Betrayal of Maggie Blair by Elizabeth Laird Rot & Ruin by Jonathan Maberry Abithica by Susan Goldsmith The Lipstick Laws by Amy Holder Dime Store Magic (Women of the Otherworld, #3) by Kelley Armstrong Sea Change by Aimee Friedman

Erika | 134 comments Sashana wrote: "Glimmerglass is a fae book."

Thank you!

message 16: by Lisa S (last edited Mar 24, 2011 07:05AM) (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) I think I'll try:

1.Lucky by Rachel Vail
2.The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Lucky by Rachel Vail The Iron King (Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa

message 17: by The UHQ Nasanta (last edited Apr 01, 2011 03:27PM) (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 849 comments Lisarenee wrote: "Niquae, I will change it to include them. What a great thought. I'm also going to change it to include anything that is about the fae since I believe leprechauns are a type of fae and are magically..."

Great! Thanks.

I'll be doing Option 1: Eoin Colfer

Artemis Fowl 4/1/11
Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident
Artemis Fowl: The Eternity Code
Artemis Fowl: The Opal Deception
Artemis Fowl: The Lost Colony
Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox
Artemis Fowl: The Atlantis Complex

and since I plan on doing the March BOM, I'll also do Option 3:

Fae book - The Iron King by Julie Kagawa 03/03/11

message 18: by Christina (AKA Babbling) (last edited Feb 22, 2011 08:11PM) (new)

Christina (AKA Babbling) (BabblingBookReviews) | 31 comments NBRC Luck of the Irish Challenge
0/3

1. Song of Scarabaeus by Sara Creasy
2. Paying the Virgin's Price by Christine Merrill
3. Persecuted (Witch Hunt, #2) by Lisa Childs

Song of Scarabaeus (Scarabaeus, #1) by Sara Creasy Paying the Virgin's Price (Harlequin Historical  Regency Silk & Scandal, #2) by Christine Merrill Persecuted (Witch Hunt, #2) (Silhouette Nocturne, #14) by Lisa Childs

message 20: by Tuğçe (last edited Mar 17, 2011 01:12AM) (new)

Tuğçe Sevin (TugceninKitapligi) | 163 comments I am in, I will go with option 5

Luck of the Irish Challenge

G - Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton 03/13 ***
R - Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead 03/03 ****
E - The Pregnancy Test by Erin McCarthy 03/06 ***
E - You Don't Know Jack by Erin McCarthy
N - The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman 03/16 *****

I think this has become all about the authors except for the first one :)

Erika | 134 comments Option 4 - Combo of #1-3

My plans so far

Fae:

Glimmerglass
Glimmerglass (Faeriewalker, #1) by Jenna Black

The Other Side of Life
The Other Side of Life (Cyberpunk Elven Trilogy, #1) by Jess C Scott

Fae/Green:
The Goblin Market
The Goblin Market by Jennifer Hudock

message 22: by Lisarenee, your friendly neighborhood moderator (new)

Lisarenee | 8258 comments I had glimmer glass but had to take it back to the library. Thanks for reminding me to check it out again.

Becky (beckysbusyreading) | 69 comments Fae Book Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs
Green Cover Wicked Intentions by Elizabeth Hoyt
0/2

message 24: by Diane ~Firefly~ (last edited Mar 11, 2011 07:58PM) (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 361 comments I'm in!
3/8 completed

Ireland: Morrigan's Cross by Nora Roberts
Fae: The Iron King by Julie Kagawa - 3/8/11
C: Charmed and Dangerous by Toni McGee Causey
H: Dead Days of Summer by Carolyn Hart
A: You've Got Murder by Donna Andrews - 3/11/11
R: Dance of the Gods by Nora Roberts
M: Sorcery and the Single Girl by Mindy Klasky
S: Sleeping with the Fishes by MaryJanice Davidson - 3/9/11

Morrigan's Cross (Circle Trilogy, #1) by Nora Roberts The Iron King (Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa Charmed and Dangerous by Toni Causey Dead Days of Summer (Death on Demand, #17) by Carolyn Hart You've Got Murder (Turing Hopper, #1) by Donna Andrews Dance of the Gods (Circle trilogy, #2) by Nora Roberts Sorcery and the Single Girl by Mindy Klasky Sleeping with the Fishes (Fred the Mermaid, #1) by MaryJanice Davidson

message 25: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 03, 2011 01:10PM) (new)

I'm going with option #5.
1/5 completed

G - The Yellow Wallpaperby Charlotte Perkins Gilman - Read 3/2
R - The Reader by Bernhard Schlink
E - Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis
E - Emma by Jane Austen
N- The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith

message 26: by Amy J. (last edited Mar 20, 2011 07:52AM) (new)

message 27: by Mandy (last edited Mar 31, 2011 07:25AM) (new)

Mandy (mandypants) I'm going to read Pot of Gold. Hopefully I'll have time to read them all and finish the Around the World challenge.

P-Poop Culture: How America is Shaped by its Grossest National Product by Dave Praeger Read: 3/1/11
O-Once Upon a Winter's Night by Dennis McKiernan Read: 3/3/11
T-The Better Part of Darkness by Kelly Gay Read: 3/7/11

O-Outlander by Diana Gabaldon Read: 3/6/11
F-The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan Read: 3/4/11

G-Green Angel by Alice Hoffman Read: 3/8/11
O-Open Season by Linda Howard Read: 3/9/11
L-Lover Unleashed by J.R. Ward Read: 3/31/11
D-Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon Read: 3/14/11

Read: 9/9
Completed Challenge: 3/31/11

Poop Culture  How America is Shaped by its Grossest National Product by Dave Praeger Once Upon a Winter's Night (Faery Series, #1) by Dennis L. McKiernan The Better Part of Darkness (Charlie Madigan, #1) by Kelly Gay Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #1) by Carrie Ryan Green Angel (Green Angel, #1) by Alice Hoffman Open Season by Linda Howard Lover Unleashed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #9) by J.R. Ward Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2) by Diana Gabaldon

message 28: by Amy J. (last edited Feb 28, 2011 07:16PM) (new)

Amy J. | 457 comments Mandy wrote: "I'm going to read Pot of Gold. Hopefully I'll have time to read them all and finish the Around the World challenge.

P-[book:Poop Culture: How America is Shaped by its Grossest National Product|591..."

Wow you've got your work cut out for you. Two Outlander Books in one month. Luckily they're very good. Enjoy!

Mandy (mandypants) A friend recommended the Outlander books. So, I'm glad to hear you say that they're good. It's easier to read quickly when it's a good book. :-) Oh, and I absolutely adore Candide! Satire's one of my favorites.

message 30: by Alicia (last edited Mar 22, 2011 11:26PM) (new)

Alicia Option 4 Moderate Level: 5 books

Irish Author And/Or Set In Ireland:
1. The Book of Tomorrow by Cecelia Ahern - read 03/03/11
2. Dancer by Colum McCann - read 23/03/11

Fae Books
3. The Iron King by Julie Kagawa - read 05/03/11
4. The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa - read 07/03/11
5. The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa - read 09/03/11

5/5 books

Carolyn F. I'm in!

Shay | 959 comments I know it's only 3 days into the month, but I haven't finished a single book.

message 33: by Kristina (last edited Mar 27, 2011 09:11PM) (new)

Kristina (KristinaLawhead) | 573 comments Okay I'm going to do

I Ivy Slade - Ominous 3/7
R Red Riding Hood 3/23
I Invitation to the Game 3/16
S Shiver 3/27
H Harris, Charlaine - Dead Until Dark 3/21

message 34: by Sherrie (last edited Mar 05, 2011 02:38PM) (new)

Sherrie (VampireKisses2) | 113 comments I'm going with an easy one and using option 5.
0/3 Done

F - Feast of Fools 3/2/11
A - At Grave's End
E - Evermore

Feast of Fools (The Morganville Vampires, #4) by Rachel Caine At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3) by Jeaniene Frost Evermore (The Immortals, #1) by Alyson Noel

message 35: by Nita (last edited Mar 29, 2011 08:38AM) (new)

Nita (Tinapetal) | 4 comments I'm going to use option 5, moderate level.
4/6 Done.

C= The Thing Around Her Neck by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie 29/03/2011
H= Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger 13/03/11
A=
R=
M= The Man from Beijing by Henning Mankell 08/03/11
S= The Snowman by Jo Nesbo 25/03/2011

Becky (beckysbusyreading) | 69 comments Fae Book Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs 3/6
Green Cover Wicked Intentions by Elizabeth Hoyt
1/2

Gabrielle    ~ Bhlack  Benehvolence ~ (werewolfgrl1) | 429 comments I'm contemplating about switching my two remaining books from green cover to Fae books. Any other Fae book suggestions anyone?

Amy J. | 457 comments Gabrielle have you read Holly Black's novels?
Tithe (The Modern Faerie Tales, #1) by Holly Black, Valiant (The Modern Faerie Tales, #2) by Holly Black, and Ironside (The Modern Faerie Tales, #3) by Holly Black

Gabrielle    ~ Bhlack  Benehvolence ~ (werewolfgrl1) | 429 comments I started reading Valiant but I didn't finish it, is it any good? I liked what I read so far but I haven't had a chance to pick the book up again.

I noticed that when I clicked on the title it said The Modern Faerie Tales book one, do they have to be read in order?

Thanks for the suggestions Amy!

Amy J. | 457 comments no I don't think they need to be read in order though tithe does explain the seelie and unseelie courts at some length and valiant seems to assume you know about them.

I liked tithe a lot. I did not care for valiant much at all. I found the rampant drug use distasteful

message 41: by Lisarenee, your friendly neighborhood moderator (last edited Mar 07, 2011 02:33PM) (new)

Gabrielle    ~ Bhlack  Benehvolence ~ (werewolfgrl1) | 429 comments Amy wrote: "no I don't think they need to be read in order though tithe does explain the seelie and unseelie courts at some length and valiant seems to assume you know about them.

I liked tithe a lot. I did ..."

Amy? Would you recommend that I read Tithe first? If only to better understand the Fae in this book?

Gabrielle    ~ Bhlack  Benehvolence ~ (werewolfgrl1) | 429 comments Any other Fae book suggestions from anyone?

Amy J. | 457 comments Yes, and because it's a much better book in my opinion

Gabrielle    ~ Bhlack  Benehvolence ~ (werewolfgrl1) | 429 comments Ok thanks Amy, I put it on reserve at my library.

Nessa | 7 comments I'm gonna go with option 3 & 5:

F:Faefever by Karen Marie Moning
A:At Grave's Endby Jeaniene Frost
E:Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Fae Books:
ShadowfeverandDreamfever
Gives me a good excuse to finish up the series like I have been dying to, lol.

Tommie (tommiemarie) | 46 comments Gabrielle ~ Bhlack Benehvolence ~ wrote: "Any other Fae book suggestions from anyone?"

I would recommend Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely series. It's one of my favorites as far as Fae go.

Gabrielle    ~ Bhlack  Benehvolence ~ (werewolfgrl1) | 429 comments It's got more fae in it? Thank you Tommie

Tommie (tommiemarie) | 46 comments You're most welcome. There are four Fae courts, which you get to know over the course of the series. The first book, Wicked Lovely, introduces you to the Summer and Winter courts. I think the world-building in this series is fantastic. I hope you like them.

« previous 1