Spinward Fringe - The Official Group discussion

This Just In... (NEWS & INTERVIEWS)

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Randolph Lalonde | 122 comments Mod
A fellow Space Opera writer / lover interviewed me for Author Culture, a site that spends a great deal of time discussing what it's like to be a cursor pushers or word smith.

You can find the interview here: http://authorculture.blogspot.com/201...

Gary Proctor | 14 comments Nice interview! The part that stood out to me was the bit about hard and soft SF. I guess in a way I agree that soft is setting. Over the years as I have come across people who profess not to like SF I have always asked they why, since SF just gives the author the freedom to tell a story with more freedom. Soft SF, I guess, is less about the science and more about the story. I look at stories like Enemy Mine, Ender's Game, Foundation and even TV series like Star Trek and Firefly. Some of the TV series episodes had very little in the way of SF, but the genre provided the setting to make it possible to tell a great story. One of the many things I do appreciate about Spinward, is that for as soft SF it seems, it has a bunch really good hard stuff in it. Sometimes in SF, the science is there only to replace what is magic in another story (not that I mind magic, mind you), but here you have done a great job of nudging up to the line, but not crossing over.

message 3: by Jack (last edited Sep 06, 2011 07:41AM) (new)

Jack | 23 comments I used to tease my wife about her fascination about a particular TV soap opera she HAS to record daily so as to not miss any episode (she works during the day) and now she is teasing me back because I can't put this series down -- Nook follows me wherever I go!! -- and when I try to compare the two -- her soap and mine -- she just smiles, winks at me and says, "Whatever!"
I may have to disagree a bit with Gary though -- I don't read Spinward Fringe as soft SF. Too much AWESOME technology and space battles to lean in that direction, IMO.

News:

In celebration of All Hallows Eve, I will be posting the first chapter of the Dark Arts Novel on my blog (www.randolphlalonde.com - Click on NEWS), on October 31st.

I'm excited for people to see the beginning of this work on progress, and wish everyone a happy Halloween in advance.

RL

Polaris Wulfman | 5 comments RL,
Are there more signed copies of Broadcast 0 available? Your blog says sold out. I wanted to tell my wife to order me one for Christmas. The books are great!

There are 50 on the way in the next order, which should arrive on the 25th of November. I'll be ordering another batch right after that, so there should be plenty for Christmas.

I suggest ordering before December 5 if anyone wants the book in time for the holidays, though.

Ryan Catania | 2 comments I've been reading through the posts and have enjoyed this series so much that due to my lack of written creativity I am speechless. I appreciate all the work and time it has taken for this masterpiece, and I appologize if it sounds like I'm badgering. I was wondering if you had any type of estimate or update on a possible/tentative timetable for Broadcast 7? I listened to the podcasts and so far haven't heard much just that it was pushed back from the original August 14th release date. I've reread the series 4 times in the past couple weeks just to try and satisfy my addiction to your work.

I look forward to the release and all of your future work. It's been such a pleasure reading your work and hearing your podcasts seemingly learning a little more about you each time. Please any info is greatly appreciated and I anxiously wait for when you feel the book is complete to your standards, I know we all will love your next installment.

Thank you RL!!

Ryan

Adam | 17 comments Every time someone asks that, the deadline gets delayed because Randolph has to stop what he's doing and check!

Griffin John (Packscrat) | 46 comments Hmnnn... Framework Randys.... one to work on the book (or maybe two... that way they could work and compare notes with one another...), one to work with Sylvie and pass on to the other two her editorial notes.. one each to keep an eye on Goodreads and Facebook and to answer the various questions that pop up there.. one for the podcast.... and of course the Original Randy to keep an eye on all the Framework versions..:nods surely: :D

It's official, Spinward Fringe Broadcast 7: Framework has been released early thanks to the hard work of editors and the EBook formatter working on the project.

Here are the links so far!

Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...

Amazon (US): amzn.to/SXETIQ
Amazon (UK): amzn.to/TaKorj
Amazon (FR): amzn.to/TaKmzD

There's much more info in the podcast: http://crewcastradio.com/2012/11/18/t...

unread topics | mark unread