Jewish Book Carnival discussion

Introductions?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 95) (95 new)    post a comment »

Charles Weinblatt (charles_weinblatt) | 30 comments It’s nice to see this group growing. I am a Holocaust author and I review Jewish and Holocaust books for The New York Journal of Books (http://www.nyjournalofbooks.com/revie...).

I recently reviewed a terrific fiction book called "Anya's War," by Andrea Alban (http://www.nyjournalofbooks.com/revie...). "Anya’s War" is a tender coming-of-age tale of a Jewish girl whose family escaped to Shanghai from the impending Nazi takeover of their home in Russia. Alban’s writing style is structured, cogent and evocative. Her protagonist and the primary characters are entertaining, well developed and delivered with expressive dialogue.

Another great non-fiction Holocaust book is "The Envoy," by Alex Kershaw (http://www.nyjournalofbooks.com/revie...). "The Envoy" is Alex Kershaw’s testimonial to Raul Wallenberg and his campaign to save the Jews of Hungary from extermination by Nazi Germany in 1944. Bestselling author Kershaw dramatically pulls the reader into the diabolical campaign of Adolf Eichmann to send more than 250,000 Hungarian Jews to Auschwitz. With the nail-biting suspense of a winning novelist, Kershaw uses solid research and anecdotal data to show how it felt to be just one step ahead of the SS and their cruel Hungarian proxies, the Arrow Cross.

As an introduction, I am a retired university administrator. I was traditionally published twice; in 1986 for "Job Seeking Skills for Students" (Kendall Hunt Publishing) and in 2007 for "Jacob's Courage" (Mazo Publishers). Jacob's Courage is a tender love story of two young adults living in Salzburg at the time when the Nazi war machine enters Austria. This compelling historical novel presents scenes and situations of Jews in ghettos and concentration camps, with particular attention to Theresienstadt and Auschwitz. It explores the dazzling beauty of young love, powerful faith and enduring bravery in a lurid world where the innocent are murdered. You can read some of the reviews and sample the video trailer for "Jacob's Courage" here: http://jacobscourage.wordpress.com/.

Charles Weinblatt
http://cweinblatt.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/chuck.weinbla...

Amy (amyfellnerdominy) | 15 comments Hi Marie (and everyone!)
I'm an author...my debut book, OyMG, is out this May. It's a teen novel about a Jewish girl who has to hide that she's Jewish if she wants to win a private scholarship to the high school of her dreams.
I love to read a wide range of things, and just started targeting Sydney Taylor award winners -- I've been so impressed with the stories I've read. One of my all-time fav books is ARE YOU THERE GOD, IT'S ME MARGARET. I think that's why I love writing for teens: at that age, books had such a huge impact on me and became lifelong friends.
I blog at my website http://www.amyfellnerdominy.com

OyMG

Erika Dreifus (erikadreifus) | 166 comments Just have to say that "OyMG" is a terrific title!

Thanks, Marie, for prompting these introduction. I'm an author and a writer/reviewer. My short-story collection, QUIET AMERICANS, was released in January. The stories are inspired largely by the experiences of my paternal grandparents, German Jews who immigrated to the U.S. in the late 1930s, and portions of proceeds from book sales are being donated to The Blue Card, an organization that provides financial assistance to U.S.-based survivors of Nazi persecution.

I'm a contributing editor for Fiction Writers Review and The Writer magazine, and I've reviewed books for many other publications, including Jewish Book World, Jewish Journal, and The Forward.

At my website (www.erikadreifus.com), I provide a set of resources for Jewish writers and writing. Please do visit!

Margo Tanenbaum | 3 comments I want to second Charles' comments about Anya's War--you can check out my review on Goodreads here. I also interviewed the author, Andrea Alban, on my blog: here is the link:
http://fourthmusketeer.blogspot.com/2...

The book is based on her own father's history as a Shanghai Jew, and the interview was fascinating!

Also, I'm looking forward to OyMG!

Margo Tanenbaum | 3 comments I forgot to put my introduction--I'm a library science student with San Jose State University, a mid-life career switch for me from many years in fundraising at colleges. I started blogging last year at The Fourth Musketeer (http://fourthmusketeer.blogspot.com); my blog specializes in reviewing historical fiction for young people, and I review quite a few (but not exclusively) Jewish themed titles. I was also excited this year to participate in the Sydney Taylor Award blog tour, interviewing Morris Gleitzman, whose Holocaust novel Once (although he doesn't like that term, he calls it a friendship novel) was one of the most moving--and unusual-- I've ever read. It made me laugh as well as cry!

Amy (amyfellnerdominy) | 15 comments I just read a review of Anya's War, and saw it's had a lot of great write-ups from JLA, Kirkus, etc. -- I'll look for it.

Claire Datnow (goodreadscomclaire) | 9 comments I'll start by introducing myself as a retired teacher of gifted and talented students. I now have the luxury of using my time to write books and to review books. I thought I would begin with a review of The Finkler Question, by Howard Jacobson, which won the Booker Prize. I really wanted to like this book, which explores issues of Jewish identity. Unfortunately, the main characters, moaners and groaners filled with angst, are unsympathetic, self-absorbed, and the plot drags. I am about to read Pictures at An Exhibition by Sara Houghteling. Have any of you read the book?

Mark Smith (MarkSSmith) | 7 comments Hi Amy,

Another author here. Just wanted to let you know that OyMG sounds perfect for my teenage daughter. I'll let you know what she thinks.

Best,
Mark

Amy (amyfellnerdominy) | 15 comments Mark wrote: "Hi Amy,

Another author here. Just wanted to let you know that OyMG sounds perfect for my teenage daughter. I'll let you know what she thinks.

Best,
Mark"

Thanks Mark! And I'd LOVE to hear what she thinks. If she writes me at amy@amydominy.com I'll be glad to send her an autographed bookmark.
What kind of books do you write?
Amy

Mark Smith (MarkSSmith) | 7 comments Hi Amy,

I am the author of Treblinka Survivor: The Life and Death of Hershl Sperling -- not a happy tale, but a true one.

I'll definitely ask my daughter to write to you once she has read the book ... assuming she's not in a teenage mood at the time (kidding, kind of).

best wishes,
Mark

Amy (amyfellnerdominy) | 15 comments Mark wrote: "Hi Amy,

I am the author of Treblinka Survivor: The Life and Death of Hershl Sperling -- not a happy tale, but a true one.

I'll definitely ask my daughter to write to you once she has read the bo..."

LOL -- and I understand. I have two teens, as well.
Your book sounds very compelling and just the description is gripping. I'll look for it!

Mark Smith (MarkSSmith) | 7 comments Thanks, Amy

Mark

Claire Datnow (goodreadscomclaire) | 9 comments As a writer of an eco mystery series for tweens, and as a grandmother of three teenage girls, I have been tuning my ears to teen lingo and also text messages. What do I find? That the lingo and texting is in a state of flux, that certain words catch on then quickly fade away. What does this mean to a write? To use it sparingly, so as not to outmode your own books in an attempt to be popular. I also write adult fiction and nonfiction, with the same precaution about the use of vernacular in dialog.

Amy (amyfellnerdominy) | 15 comments Claire wrote: "As a writer of an eco mystery series for tweens, and as a grandmother of three teenage girls, I have been tuning my ears to teen lingo and also text messages. What do I find? That the lingo and tex..."

Hi Claire,
I read your message with interest. It seems your comment about teen lingo could relate directly to my book title, OyMG. You raise an important question. Certainly one I considered when my publisher fell in love with the title. (I came up with many titles for my book and that was the favorite. Working with a traditional publishing house, I discovered the decision is made by many: writer, editor, publisher, sales rep, marketing team.) It remains to be seen how the title will do. I imagine there will be positives and negatives. Hopefully, the themes of the book-- a search for identity and self-acceptance-- will keep the book relevant.
Best of luck with your own writing!
Amy

Claire Datnow (goodreadscomclaire) | 9 comments I too, work with a team, but I've learned from experience to listen, but not to be too easily swayed—I've done that once or twice and lived to regret it. If you are sure of the reasons for your decision you need to persuade the team—which I'm sure that you do. Hope this is useful to other writers.

Alexys | 1 comments Hi all,
I'm not an author, but maybe someday I'll be able to claim that for myself :-). I'm actually a fourth-year medical student, 71 days from graduating, and an avid reader when my schedule allows. I like reading on a variety of topics, but I especially relish Jewish books because it makes me feel a little closer to the Tribe (I've been moving around a lot and it makes it real hard to make friends sometimes). Other topics I enjoy are history (both fiction and not), some very selective chic-lit, and medical biographies/current events. Look forward to communing with all of you!

--Lex

message 17: by Linda K. (last edited Mar 26, 2011 06:36PM) (new)

Linda K.  | 3 comments Hi, Marie,
I'm a mix when it comes to writing, reading, and such. You and I've met virtually -through the Jewish Book Carnival, which I hosted on my blog, Jewish Muse, A Writer's Blog on Faith and Family.

I'm a veteran journalist and have become increasingly interested in Jewish books - memoir and fiction - as I wrap up my own memoir about journeying through grief and getting closer to my Jewish faith. I've done an occasional book review for my former employer, The Boston Globe, and often do reviews and author interviews on my blog.

I'm an eclectic reader. I love nonfiction as well as fiction and of course, memoir. I can't say I have one favorite Jewish book, but as I wrote in a previous blog, books by Jewish authors or about Judaism were my sense of Jewish community in childhood. I grew up in a rural Ohio town where there were no Jews. Some of my early favorites included Golda Meir's autobiography, My Life, and Herman Wouk's Marjorie Morningstar. In more recent years, I particularly enjoyed Judith Shulevitz's Sabbath World and Dani Shapiro's Devotion. And I also was mesmerized by several of the stories in Erika Dreifus' debut book, Quiet Americans.

Ah, and I must mention Naomi Ragen. I've loved nearly every book she's written. They're often provocative, and they usually introduce me to aspects of Judaism I don't know much about. Happy to join this group, and looking forward to getting some great book recommendations in the future.

- Linda

Zackary Berger (zackarysholemberger) | 2 comments Hi all,

My reading choices are eclectic and obscure, but like telling people about them anyway. Currently (or always?) I'm obsessed with the Yiddish poetry of Avrom Sutzkever, a lyric-prophetic genius who died in 2010, and of Avrom Glants-Leyeles, a Yiddish formalist (imagine rondeaux in Yiddish!).

I am also enjoying Peter Manseau's Songs for the Butcher's DaughterSongs for the Butcher's Daughter: A Novel.

And, while I mostly read poetry (English, Yiddish, and Hebrew [אבות ישורון!]), I also steal novels off my wife's beside table. (I hope it's allowed to promote my wife's blog about all things literary and Baltimorean: charmcitycurrent.com/baltimorebooks/)

Let's be honest: I have my own books too. But you can click on me if you want. I'd much rather you read Sutzkever though.

Zack

Susan | 35 comments Hi Y'all, I am a transplant from NJ and now live in SC. I am a book blogger, and book club moderator. Our book club, is called 38th Ave. Diva Readers. We are all Temple Emanu-El members in Myrtle Beach. Interesting place.

Never thought I would meet other Jews here. My history is all wrong.

I started blogging about 3 years ago, with separate blogs, one secular and one Jewish. Since a few months ago I have tried to consolidate. my secular blog is http://susansliterarycafe.blogspot.com and my Jewish http://bagelsbooksandschmooze.blogspo....

I read and review mostly fiction. Jewish, sometimes secular

I read everything. I read Jewish books, but mainly read secular books. But once or twice a month I will read two books on Jewish fiction.

Shirley Vernick (ShirleyVernick) | 4 comments Hi everyone,

Shirley Vernick here. So glad to discover this group. Marie, we "met" through your blog a while ago. Amy, I've been reading about OyMG through the Jewish Book Marketing forum. I'm a reader and author. My debut novel, The Blood Lie, is coming out in September. It's based on the first blood libel ever reported in the Western Hemisphere -- in my hometown. My most recent read is Night, always and ever so very powerful.

Shirley

M/Ðɑηηɑ Hello everybody !

My name is Danna, from the USA. Originally my family came from Italy, at the 13th century they moved to Spain, and a century later they found themselves wealthy-beings in Marocco, just across the sea. I love to read about Jewish history, and not only about the holocaust, because as you know this is really really sad, yet i feel like knowing better what my own people have been through, and personally, to me it feels so important, as if I was actually passing on the amazing field of Judaism to the next generation. Also, I like to read about other ages, with a special intrest in Jews' stories and legends and traditions, for example, during the middle ages. I don't really know so much about you guys, but just so you know, a book really keeps me interested when the word "jew" is mentioned and I don;t know exactly why, so I will be very glad if you'd all help me to figure it out. Maybe you understand me, maybe you have been there and know what I mean. Even if the note I read about jews was not important - I feel proud. And I am not sure why, as I said.
Well, generally, I am fifteen, I am gifted (overwhelming IQ. let's call it), I am studying for Ph./D. in Political science which really interests me. I don't like Chimestry and computers because I have got some aweful teachers. and I love going out for long fieldtrips with friends.

Danna

Amy (amyfellnerdominy) | 15 comments Welcome Danna. I loved reading about your interests, and your pride in your Jewish heritage. For someone who is only 15 you have a wide interest in reading which is WONDERFUL! Best of luck on your studies.
Amy Fellner Dominy

Danna wrote: "Hello everybody !

My name is Danna, from the USA. Originally my family came from Italy, at the 13th century they moved to Spain, and a century later they found themselves wealthy-beings in Marocco..."

Genia Lukin Uhm... Hullo.

I discovered this group through a friend's group list. I am a Linguist and translator, working towards my Master's with 'student' as my shameful full-time occupation. My free time is wasted reading horribly obscure and not-so-obscure books, and posting on Goodreads.

Shirley Vernick (ShirleyVernick) | 4 comments Welcome, Genia! What language(s) do you translate?

Genia Lukin I mostly work with Hebrew, English and Russian, with an occasional nod to French.

Edward Truitt | 2 comments Hi Jewish book lovers. I made aliyah seven years ago and live in Jerusalem. My full-time day job is writing (in English) for the scientists at the Weizmann Institute of Science. My passion is books of all kinds, especially historical fiction, books about Israel and all things Jewish. Last year I published a Jewish action/adventure book (Ok, just a little self promotion here) and discovered Goodreads some months later. I'm looking for Jewish librarian reviewers -as well as fellow readers.

Shirley Vernick (ShirleyVernick) | 4 comments Welcome, Edward! And best wishes for all of your writing genres.

Best regards,

Shirley Vernick
THE BLOOD LIE

Charles Weinblatt (charles_weinblatt) | 30 comments Hi Edward. Thanks for joining the group. What's the name of your Jewish action/adventure book? Where is it sold?

I review books for The New York Journal of Books, primarily Jewish and Holocaust-related books (http://www.nyjournalofbooks.com/revie...). But I don't know of any "Jewish librarian reviewers." Perhaps there are others here who review books? Why does it have to be a "librarian?"

You might check with my Israeli publisher, Chaim Mazo, at Mazo Publishers (http://mazopublishers.com/welcome/).

How can we help you here?

message 29: by Delin (last edited Sep 28, 2011 07:20AM) (new)

Delin Colón (delincolon) | 11 comments Hello

I am interested in Russian Jewish history and have recently published a book in that field. Non-fiction is my primary interest. I've done a lot of reading on the Pale of Settlement and Russian Jews under Tsar Nicholas II, as that is where most of my ancestors hail from.

My recently published book is "Rasputin and the Jews: A Reversal of History."

Rasputin and The Jews: A Reversal of History Rasputin and The Jews  A Reversal of History by Delin Colón

Miriam (mirday) | 1 comments Hello all! I'm Miriam from Los Angeles.

I'm an avid reader though I often choose audiobooks so that I can multi-task (I homeschool three little ones). Along with reading for my own learning and enjoyment I help lead our synagogue's book club which means I'm constantly on the look out for new books.

Shanah tovah!

Delin Colón (delincolon) | 11 comments Miriam wrote: "Hello all! I'm Miriam from Los Angeles.

I'm an avid reader though I often choose audiobooks so that I can multi-task (I homeschool three little ones). Along with reading for my own learning and e..."

Hello, Miriam. Welcome!

Jon (JonReisfeld) | 11 comments Miriam wrote: "Hello all! I'm Miriam from Los Angeles.

I'm an avid reader though I often choose audiobooks so that I can multi-task (I homeschool three little ones). Along with reading for my own learning and e..."

Hi, Miriam. Welcome to the group! I'm a Baltimore-based writer and I'm considering producing audio books in the future. Where do you purchase your audio books and do you prefer books read by the author or by multiple actors? I've written a Holocaust novelette, "The Last Way Station" about Hitler's final judgment. (It's only available, at the moment, in ebook format. But it's also only a two-hour read.) I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts about what makes a good vs. bad audio book -- particularly related to fiction.

Jon (JonReisfeld) | 11 comments Like Edward, I'm also interested in learning about good sources for Jewish book reviewers. Any suggestions?

Delin Colón (delincolon) | 11 comments Jon wrote: "Like Edward, I'm also interested in learning about good sources for Jewish book reviewers. Any suggestions?"

Jon - Check out The Baltimore Jewish Times, The Jewish Literary Review, The Los Angeles Jewish Journal, and Rabbi Israel Drazin's booksnthoughts.com

I had success in obtaining book reviews from those sources.

Jon (JonReisfeld) | 11 comments Hi, my name is Jon. I'm a Baltimore-based writer of speculative fiction, historical fantasy and sci fi. When I'm not writing, I read books (fiction and business), go to movies, trawl the History International Channel (Now History 2), blog about books, indie publishing, politics and the economy (what a mess!) at http://www.writeatyou.wordpress.com I also root for the Ravens! In my spare time, I work on ways to make indie publishing easier and more profitable for writers and promote my own books. The first, currently published as an ebook, is The Last Way Station: Hitler's Final Journey a novelette about Hitler's final judgment. My next, which will be reissued in January as a novel, is The Reform Artists. I look forward to participating in your group and getting to know you all better!

Jon (JonReisfeld) | 11 comments Delincolon wrote: "Jon wrote: "Like Edward, I'm also interested in learning about good sources for Jewish book reviewers. Any suggestions?"

Jon - Check out The Baltimore Jewish Times, The Jewish Literary Review, The..."

Thanks! I'll do that.

Claire Datnow (goodreadscomclaire) | 9 comments A List of Jewish Historical Fiction can be found at:

http://www.amazon.com/Jewish-Historic...

Also a new book: The Nine Inheritors: The Extraordinary Odyssey of a Family and Their Ancient Torah Scroll

Delin Colón (delincolon) | 11 comments Welcome, Sipporah! Sometimes it's a while between posts on this forum. But, I think it's largely because the creative members here are productively immersed in their reading, writing, and in life itself. Actually, I find that the pace of posts here suits me, too, but I always look at the forum when I'm notified of a new post. I've belonged to other groups, but I find this one the most "haymish".
Rasputin and The Jews: A Reversal of History Rasputin and The Jews  A Reversal of History by Delin Colón

Jon (JonReisfeld) | 11 comments Hi. Welcome to the group! What type of books do you write?

Jon (JonReisfeld) | 11 comments Tell me more about it. Is it fiction or non-fiction? If fiction,what genre is it? what's the plot line, etc.

Claire Datnow (goodreadscomclaire) | 9 comments Let me introduce myself. I love novels that sweep the reader through time and deftly weave intimate, personal stories together with significant historical events. Can you suggest Jewish Historical novels that meet this tall order? I just read In the Garden of Beasts by Eric Larsen (non fiction). And Children and Fire by Ursula Hegi. I highly recommend both. I have also just published a book that I hope meets my own goals for excellence, The Nine Inheritors: The Extraordinary Odyssey of a Family and Their Ancient Torah Scroll.

Delin Colón (delincolon) | 11 comments My dear Sipporah - your book looks fascinating. I'd thought there were only 72 names for God - but I guess those are just the Hebrew names. I will definitely look into this.

My heart goes out to you, regarding the past experiences in your bio, but your photo reflects a beautiful woman with a lovely smile, who has apparently triumphed in the face of adversity. I admire you for it.

Delin Colón (delincolon) | 11 comments Welcome Claire!

Claire wrote: "Let me introduce myself. I love novels that sweep the reader through time and deftly weave intimate, personal stories together with significant historical events. Can you suggest Jewish Historical ..."

Charles Weinblatt (charles_weinblatt) | 30 comments Claire wrote: "Let me introduce myself. I love novels that sweep the reader through time and deftly weave intimate, personal stories together with significant historical events. Can you suggest Jewish Historical ..."

Hi Claire. Thanks for joining the group and introducing yourself. I hope that you find our discussions rewarding.

I also love historical dramas that sweep the reader through historical events. I would include at the top of my list (in that category) "The Source" (Michener) and "The Winds of War" and "War & Remembrance" (both by Wouk). In fact, I loved them so much that I wrote my own novel about the Holocaust that a newspaper called, "The Forrest Gump of the Holocaust" (Toledo Free Press) because two young lovers walked through accurate Holocaust events. It's called "Jacob's Courage." I think that I have learned more about history from such novels than I have retained from History courses. Of course, character development, especially with protagonists is critical to maintaining that interest. The down side, from the author's perspective, is the amount of time required for research.

Thanks again Claire. I hope we’ll continue to hear from you.

Chuck

Claire Datnow (goodreadscomclaire) | 9 comments Charles, thanks for the welcome. I agree, that for the reader it's interesting and rewarding way to learn about historical periods through well-researched historical novels. Of course, for the writer it involves intense reach—but that can be fun, too. Geraldine Brooks, Naomi Ragen, David Liss could be added to the list.

message 46: by Jon (last edited Oct 14, 2011 03:57PM) (new)

Jon (JonReisfeld) | 11 comments Sipporah wrote: "Jon wrote: "Tell me more about it. Is it fiction or non-fiction? If fiction,what genre is it? what's the plot line, etc."
Hi Jon, it's non fiction. The Hebrew Names of God is about the original, ov..."

400 names! That's really amazing. (Great title, by the way, and a very smart way of exploring the subject. I'll check out your preview, if you have one.)

Lisa | 3 comments Hello Everyone,
I'm Lisa Pearl Rosenbaum. My debut novel, "A Day of Small Beginnings" tells the story of three generations of a secular, American Jewish family who find their hidden roots in a small rural town in Poland. It was published in 2006 by Little, Brown. This summer, I was contacted by the Spertus Institute of Jewish Studies in Chicago. They are inaugurating a One Book/One Community program for the Chicagoland area and chose my novel. It's an honor and I'm especially excited about it because I have never even been to Chicago (except the airport, which doesn't count) and have been really wanting to go. But more than that, their decision tells me that a book that is now 5 years old can still have "legs" in the world, even when it isn't (though it should be) in paperback (there is a Kindle version). So, have heart you writers out there. The link, for any of you who are in Chicago or have Chicago friends is: http://www.spertus.edu/OneBook
Looking forward to getting to know you!

Charles Weinblatt (charles_weinblatt) | 30 comments Thanks for commenting Lisa. Congratulations on your accomplishment and on your novel's success. It's good to know that those of us with a five-year old debut novel can still have hope for achievement. Your book sounds very interesting. I wish you the best of luck for all of your future writing.

May I ask what you’ve done to market the book? Is there a trailer that we can view? Do you have a Facebook fan page? Where is the web site landing page?

Lisa | 3 comments Thanks for asking Charles. Marketing is pretty tricky. The novel was well reviewed when it first came out and I did a book tour. I especially like talking to book groups, in person or by phone, because they've read the book, so we can talk in greater depth. Word of mouth starts going from there. Recently, I added social networking to my efforts. I created a Facebook Author page at: http://www.facebook.com/LisaPearlRose..., started (but haven't finished) updating my Website at: http://www.lisapearlrosenbaum.com/, began to blog (a nice diversion, I think, from novel writing)at: http://lprosenbaum.wordpress.com/ and then there's Twitter (which I'm still figuring out - or trying)at https://twitter.com/#!/LPRosenbaum. I guess it's a process - of learning how these things are useful. The surprise of the social media, I think, are the people who turn up from other parts of your life (so far, it's been all good!) and the ability to easily communicate with people on an informal basis all around the world.

Charles Weinblatt (charles_weinblatt) | 30 comments Thanks Lisa. Your book sounds terrific. But the first two links (Facebook Fan Page and author web site) did not load. I hope that it’s just my computer. The other two links loaded normally. Maybe it was just an issue with transposing.

Have you tried a Facebook ad for your book, Lisa? If so, what was the result?

I'm glad that you're finding some good marketing success. What is your opinion of Wordpress? I have a BlogSpot site is for my synopsis. But Wordpress is my landing page, because it must be more functional. The analytics are excellent and easy to use. What has been your experience?

I use Wix for my main author page (http://tiny.cc/kvioa). It provides links to landing pages, Facebook pages, video attachments, links to retailers for each book, an author history page and a contact page. Perhaps most importantly, unlike blogs and sophisticated web pages, you can peruse through all books in seconds.

I would accept it as an axiom that all contemporary authors must have a video trailer. For my Holocaust novel, I used Animoto for a free 30-second teaser ad, with full video, selected digital pictures and select music as an overlay. It took me less than two hours to create this trailer. Did I mention that it was FREE? Take a look: http://tiny.cc/g0srp. In a time when money is precious, it’s good to know that authors can fabricate a high quality unique 30-second trailer for free. Some people have told me that this one compares favorably with my longer, paid trailer.

My professional two-minute video book trailer was constructed over a period of several weeks. The full-length trailer uses a slick combination of still shots, documentary video and the same music as the teaser ad. You can view it here: http://tiny.cc/s69eb. Of course, you get what you pay for. But if money is an issue, I would not hesitate to use Animoto.

Thanks for sharing your web sites here, Lisa. Please re-post your web site and Facebook pages. I very much want to see them. Best of luck with all of your books!

« previous 1