MobileRead Book Challenges discussion

General Chat > Books made in movies/tv series

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bianca (new)

Bianca van Willigenburg (Biancavanw) | 821 comments There are so many books made in movies and tv series. What is your favorite, least favorite and which would you like to see adapted.

I'm really looking forward to film adaptation of The Woman in Black: A Ghost Story by Susan Hill with Daniel Radcliffe. I have seen the play three time. I hope they won't give the story a "Hollywood treatment" because IMHO the strength of the story is that the suggestion of things happening and the subtleness.

I hated Dino Argento's adaptation of The Phantom of the Opera. The phantom stuffing rats down his pants to pleasure himself...that says enough.

message 2: by Cherrybomb (new)

Cherrybomb (wvcherrybomb) | 68 comments The Bridges of Madison County comes to mind as a huge disappointment. The book was so wonderful that I was really looking foward to the movie. It was so awful I couldn't even finish watching it. I suppose that so much of the book went on the minds of the characters that it would have been impossible to portray on screen.

Many of the true crime books I read have documentaries of the events. They are interesting to watch but can never match the detail in the books.

An older book that I just finished, The Beans of Egypt, Maine, has apparently been made into a movie that I would like to see. I had read the book in the mid 1980's so the movie is likely old. I am going to do some digging to find it.

message 3: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (PG4003) I just finished a re-read of Roots and the TV series was good. Frankly I don't watch much TV any more and I don't have HBO or anything like that so I really don't know what they've made movies of lately.

message 4: by MrsJoseph, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph | 2770 comments The Stand by Stephen King is one of my favorite books. The tv movie was atrocious, horrible, terrible.

Starship Troopers was an ok action movie but a horrible book adaption. The book and the movie are so different as to be laughable.

message 5: by Bianca (new)

Bianca van Willigenburg (Biancavanw) | 821 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "The Stand by Stephen King is one of my favorite books. The tv movie was atrocious, horrible, terrible.
"

Ah, I forgot about The Stand, also one of my favourite books. I used to love the mini-series, too, but when I recently tried to watch it again I couldn't bring myself to finish it. I love Gary Sinise in it but Molly Ringwald just irritates me.

A couple of weeks ago I read they are going to do a movie version. Stephen King has given his opinions about it and I have to agree with him that you cannot make a 2,5 hour movie out of this book and it should me made as a trilogy.

message 6: by Zoe (last edited Feb 19, 2011 06:07AM) (new)

Zoe Rider (ZoeXRider) | 36 comments Fight Club was a better movie than book. Choke, on the other hand, was one of my favorite Chuck Palahniuk books, until I saw the movie, which I disenjoyed so much that now I'm over the whole story: book, movie, thinking about it, whatever.

The Prestige was a great movie and a great book, and the two were different enough that it's like I have two great stories coming out of a single, favorite universe.

Let the Right One in was also both an excellent book and excellent movie. In this case, the movie followed the book pretty closely, except for a side story they left out, and they downplayed the "father"'s background and Eli's backstory. They even did a good job with the US remake, "Let Me In," where they tightened things up really well (if also making a few changes that rankled me a little, but overall it was a good movie).

(Dario Argento's "Opera" (or "Terror at the Opera") is my favorite Argento movie...his actual Phantom of the Opera remake, not so much.)

message 7: by MrsJoseph, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph | 2770 comments I know how you feel. Wasn't Molly the Dark Man's baby holder or something?

There is no way they can do this book justice in a 2.5 hour movie. It would be just as bad. I agree, a trilogy or at least two 3+ hour movies would be best.

Bianca wrote: Ah, I forgot about The Stand, also one of my favourite books. I used to love the mini-series, too, but when I recently tried to watch it again I couldn't bring myself to finish it. I love Gary Sinise in it but Molly Ringwald just irritates me.

A couple of weeks ago I read they are going to do a movie version. Stephen King has given his opinions about it and I have to agree with him that you cannot make a 2,5 hour movie out of this book and it should me made as a trilogy."

message 8: by MrsJoseph, Resident Book Pusher (new)

MrsJoseph | 2770 comments My favorite adaptation was the BBC version of the Narnia series. It was pretty good from what I remember. I hated the movie version of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. The movie version had tons of crap that never took place. Horrible.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Woman in Black (other topics)
The Phantom of the Opera (other topics)
The Bridges of Madison County (other topics)
The Beans of Egypt, Maine (other topics)
Roots: The Saga of an American Family (other topics)
More...