Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Friday Questions > Question #43: Mary Sue and Gary Stu

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Faye (new)

Faye | 673 comments Mod
What character would you nominate as a "Mary Sue" or "Gary Stu?"

message 2: by Donna (last edited Feb 18, 2011 01:02PM) (new)

Donna O.K., I'm not too proud to admit I need an explanation.

message 3: by Faye (new)

Faye | 673 comments Mod
Donna wrote: "O.K., I'm not too proud to admit I need an explanation."

No problem. Click on the "Mary Sue" or "Gary Stu?" link in the first post and it will take you to the Urban Dictionary definition. Cheers!

message 4: by Donna (new)

Donna Okay, duh! Now I'll have to think about this... I just finished "An Object of Beauty" and Lacey comes close, but obvious character flaws would rule her out. Hmmmm... I'll be back.

message 5: by Faye (new)

Faye | 673 comments Mod
Well, if you read my review (http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...,) you know I just found the definitive work of Mary Sues and Gary Stus. It's called The Ruby in the Smoke.

message 6: by Chris (last edited May 06, 2011 08:30PM) (new)

Chris (ChrisMD) | 408 comments I only heard the expression a while ago. The first character that popped into my head was the main character in The Little Book. Wheeler is entirely too good to be true. He's beyond perfect at everything he tries - and it is the biggest flaw in the book. That said, the book has really stuck with me since I read it a couple of years ago.

Other people have suggested the Kvothe/Kote in The Name of the Wind/The Wise Man's Fear is a Mary Sue. Still thinking about this. While he's definitely a little too good to be true, he does have some flaws and he also has a good sense of humor, for which I will forgive a lot.

message 7: by Donna (new)

Donna Has anyone posited that Sookie Stackhouse of Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampires books (better know these days as "True Blood") is more than a little Mary Sue? I just started the latest this morning, & seeing this discussion pop back up made me think about it. Blonde, orphaned, raised by the saintly grandmother who gets murdered. Always gets the guy, always gets a tan, always kind, always regretful of the lives she ends up snuffing - or that get snuffed out because of her.

message 8: by Faye (new)

Faye | 673 comments Mod
Donna wrote: "Has anyone posited that Sookie Stackhouse of Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampires books (better know these days as "True Blood") is more than a little Mary Sue? I just started the latest this mornin..."

LOL - when you boil her down that way, Sookie sounds like a real contender. I keep thinking about this phrase, Mary Sue, and seeing some major overlaps in characters. I guess a like-able person with no strings attached as a popular hero to get the story started.

message 9: by Lin (new)

Lin | 205 comments Chris wrote: "Other people have suggested the Kvothe/Kote in The Name of the Wind/The Wise Man's Fear is a Mary Sue. Still thinking about this ..."

Yeah, I think Kvothe is more a play on a mary-sue. In the legends about him he is perfect, but he's telling us the 'real' version where he messes up a lot.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Ruby in the Smoke (other topics)
The Wise Man's Fear (other topics)
The Little Book (other topics)
The Name of the Wind (other topics)