What's The Name of That Book??? discussion

72 views
Adult Fiction-SOLVED > short story about population control using a lottery at a carnival that randomly kills people??? [s]

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dana (new)

Dana (Erato) I read this years ago and the only parts I really remember are that there is some type of lottery to get into this carnival in the first place and that random seats on the rides 'throw' you off and kill you. I recall a morbid scene about piling bodies in mass graves near the park.


message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 17, 2011 10:33PM) (new)

I know this isn't it, but it's similar. It's called The Lottery by Shirley Jackson. It's not at a carnival, but it is about a lottery

http://www.classicshorts.com/stories/...


message 3: by Wayne (new)

Wayne | 33 comments Well it does have a carneval like feel to it. Up to the point in which the winner gets stoned to death.


message 4: by Dana (new)

Dana (Erato) Dark Angel wrote: "I know this isn't it, but it's similar. It's called The Lottery by Shirley Jackson. It's not at a carnival, but it is about a lottery

http://www.classicshorts.com/stories/..."


No, I have read this short story myself, and although similar in concept...that isn't it.

I think this one had the word 'apocolypse' in the name???


message 5: by Dana (new)

Dana (Erato) Wayne wrote: "Well it does have a carneval like feel to it. Up to the point in which the winner gets stoned to death."

The Lottery really creeped me out when I read it. My brain told me this is what would happen if you asked Stephen King to write a fable about the morals of WWII Germany. Well written, but...ugh.


message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

It really creeped me out too. I watched a film of it in one of my English classes, and it creeped me out more than reading it.


message 7: by Dana (new)

Dana (Erato) Dana wrote: "Dark Angel wrote: "I know this isn't it, but it's similar. It's called The Lottery by Shirley Jackson. It's not at a carnival, but it is about a lottery

http://www.classicshorts.com/stories/lo..."


I should also note that this story is fairly old. I think I read this almost 30 years ago!


message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

The Carnival by Michael Fedo


message 9: by Dana (new)

Dana (Erato) Dark Angel wrote: "The Carnival by Michael Fedo"

That's it! Thank you so much. (I need to remind myself that short stories are often very simply titled.) :)


message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Not all of them are though :P I'm glad that was it. I couldn't find a copy of it online, but the summary I found sounded close to your description.


message 11: by Beth (new)

Beth (BethJustBeth) | 48 comments Wayne wrote: "Well it does have a carneval like feel to it. Up to the point in which the winner gets stoned to death."

Oh, now Wayne...that's just wrong to put a big, fat spoiler in there. Don't ruin it for the Lottery Virgins who haven't read it!


back to top

unread topics | mark unread