SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Group Reads Discussions 2011 > "Cold Magic" What did you think of the ending?

Comments (showing 1-26 of 26) (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Qylie (new)

Qylie | 105 comments Did you enjoy the way it ended?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

No.

Not at all.

message 3: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (SandyLamar) | 88 comments Qylie wrote: "Did you enjoy the way it ended?"

Well, yes. I was sort of surprised, but we knew there were two more books to go, and when I thought about it I thought there is probably another adventurous trip ahead. I'm looking forward to it.

message 4: by Lara Amber (new)

Lara Amber (LaraAmber) | 580 comments I liked the ending. I'm really looking forward to the next two books.

message 5: by Avrelia (new)

Avrelia | 17 comments I was satisfied with the ending. It felt more like a beginning, of course, putting all players in positions for the actual play, but I didn't mind. There wasn't a moment where I think it went the wrong direction.

message 6: by Mekerei (new)

Mekerei | 32 comments I felt that it set up the next book (perhaps obvious), I agree with Avrelia that is was like a beginning - but I found it difficult that Andevai would state how he felt to Cat (the men I know would rather cut their throats then say something like that out loud) when he first saw her. Can't wait for the sequel.

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (fireweaver) | 321 comments I was fine with the ending (other than the obvious caveat that I want to read the next one right NOW). I can not stand a full-on cliff hanger, e.g., if they had been trapped in the textile mill, the mansa gleefully "I have you now!!" end scene, that would be bad. instead, after wondering what the heck is going on and who am I for the whole book, cat gets that info, closing out the initial part of her tale. yes, the end is wide open for the rest of the series, yes I want more, but no, it's not downright cruel to us poor readers.

message 8: by ♥Xeni♥ (new)

♥Xeni♥ (Xeni) | 457 comments I actually don't hate this ending (sorry Ala!). I feel that you have to keep in mind that it's the first of a series, and most authors will put in some sort of cliff hanger to keep their readers wanting more.

I felt that for this book the ending was actually rather good... there was adventure right up until the very end; the girls have some respite from their many travels (for the time being) and the story isn't over at all.

I don't feel cheated out of anything and I enjoyed what I had read. And I don't mind reading the second in the series either!

I am pleased.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Mekerei wrote: "but I found it difficult that Andevai would state how he felt to Cat (the men I know would rather cut their throats then say something like that out loud) when he first saw her."

This. So much this.

That part annoyed me so damn much. "It was like the other half of my soul...you complete me". Screw you pal, you're not Jerry goddamned Mguire.

At least behave as if you're a real damn person and not some cardboard cutout, trashy romance novel cover model.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

As for the rest of the ending.

Look...

I know that when you have a series, you're going to have loose ends. It's a given. Now, in something like Hyperion, that type of ending pisses me off. But that isn't my issue with the ending of this book.

My problem isn't the fact that things are left open. My problem with the ending was the fact they actually introduce Camjiata, who had only been mentioned previously, in the final few pages. Then have him do a big set-up for the next book. Then BAM, ending.

It felt like some lame ass "tune in next time! same bat time, same bat channel!" statement to me.

message 11: by ♥Xeni♥ (new)

♥Xeni♥ (Xeni) | 457 comments I thought it was actually really brave of him! It wasn't as smoothly written as I felt his character should have been (all of a sudden he trusts her with his deepest emotions?) but I thought it was nice. ^__^

I'm probably just that girly!

message 12: by ♥Xeni♥ (new)

♥Xeni♥ (Xeni) | 457 comments Hmm, okay I can see that. It did bother me that Camjiata came in so strong at the end. I accept it because it's a series, but if this was stand alone I would hate hate hate it.

He could have been a bigger character... or just not introduced with such a bang. Still, it does make you want hte next book! (Which, of course, the author is aiming for)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

♥Xeni♥ wrote: "I thought it was actually really brave of him! It wasn't as smoothly written as I felt his character should have been (all of a sudden he trusts her with his deepest emotions?) but I thought it was..."

It came off as really unbelievable to me.

And annoying.

And by God, he should turn in his man card.

One of those three statements is a joke.

Also: It's not like I hated the book or anything. It was a decently enjoyable read. And, most likely, I'll grab the next one when it hits.

There were just aspects of the book that annoyed the hell out of me.

message 14: by Michelle (last edited Feb 20, 2011 05:02PM) (new)

Michelle (fireweaver) | 321 comments haha Xenia, apparently I'm that girly too, because I likewise adored that moment. finally softened the brittle edges to his character, for just a sec!

then again, Ala, I HATED jerry maguire, so i can sorta see where you're coming from on that one.

I'm ok with the general showing up right at the end, and yes it was very much "same bat time, same bat channel!" I fully expected Rory to saunter into the room and say, "hello father," right there at the end. that would have given it a bit more of a cliffhanger feel, and a lot more "tune in next week!" cheez.

message 15: by Avrelia (new)

Avrelia | 17 comments I can hardly judge how “normal” Andevai's sudden admission was. He is a fantasy hero in a fantasy circumstances, after all. It was not impossible, and it seemed in character to me. He liked Cat and he was leaving her, possibly, forever – he might as well say something memorably shocking. For the same reason she kissed him – might hot have another opportunity to do something like that.

message 16: by Zen (new)

Zen (zentea) | 135 comments Meh. It was OK. Sorta loosely bundled together.

message 17: by Chris (new)

Chris (Nakor) | 9 comments Hmm, the comment in question didn't bother me too much. Cat's random fits of passion threw me off more than that, I think, though not so much later as the first few times. It was kind of a "wait, where did THAT come from" reaction.

I guess to me the admission felt in character, because in a sense there was still that sparring feel to it. It was a chess move of sorts, accurate to the development of him actually caring for her well-being, but still being the sort of person to try to get what he wants. I guess what I'm trying to say is, it felt both honest and calculated at once. Like Andevai.

I think on the whole Andevai was quite well written. The sort of character you want to keep hating and you start to have trouble doing it lol.

As for the ending, I thought it was fine. Camjiata's showing up didn't actually even throw me off that much.

message 18: by Kim, The Zinoviev (new)

Kim (shirezu) | 813 comments Mod
I liked how much of the story was resolved. Some other books (*hint hint* other book this month :P) just left too much unanswered. I know they're setting up for the next book but if too much is unresolved I feel dissatisfied after reading the whole book and feeling I haven't really gotten anywhere.

That said I'm definitely going to read the next Hyperion book but not sure if I'm interested enough to read the next Spiritwalker book.

colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ± (blackrose13) | 1269 comments I didn't mind the ending-ending. I think it's a bit of a cheat, in general, when authors use that, and I agree that it feels like the whole "tune in next time" sort of thing - but I at least prefer this sort of ending to a full-out cliff-hanger, which I hate.

But I also didn't by the "When I first saw you I knew you were the other half of my soul" schtick. For one - if that's true, why'd he treat her so badly in the beginning? I know that his growth as a person is part of the story arc - but it makes zero sense to feel that way about someone from the minute you see them and still be a raging douche.

For another, why did he then try to kill her? Yeah, yeah, I know the whole "I must obey" thing, but he also says that the reason he realized it was wrong was because his village sort of shamed him into it. He didn't say "I couldn't kill you because I cared for you."

So, no, I don't buy it. IT came out of nowhere.

Of course, I think the whole romance was handled pretty badly in this book. Like Chris said - Cat's random fits of passion, and her lusting after Andevai at the most odd and inappropriate moments.

I know I'm supposed to be routing for them to get together and, at times, I admit I was - but when the rational part of my brain kicks in I find myself wondering why. Her only interest in him seems to be that he's hot and he stopped himself from killing her... and his attraction to her is based on that lame-o soulmate thing.

message 20: by Kim, The Zinoviev (new)

Kim (shirezu) | 813 comments Mod
Colleen ~blackrose~ wrote: "Her only interest in him seems to be that he's hot and he stopped himself from killing her... and his attraction to her is based on that lame-o soulmate thing. "

Oh god if he starts sparkling I am not touching the rest of the series

colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ± (blackrose13) | 1269 comments Kim wrote: "Oh god if he starts sparkling I am not touching the rest of the series"

I very nearly had said "It was almost as bad as Twilight", but refrained. I figure since I've never actually read Twilight, I should probably not openly pick on it, per se. ;)

message 22: by VMom (new)

VMom (votermom) | 45 comments Colleen ~blackrose~ wrote: "But I also didn't by the "When I first saw you I knew you were the other half of my soul" schtick. For one - if that's true, why'd he treat her so badly in the beginning? I know that his growth as a person is part of the story arc - but it makes zero sense to feel that way about someone from the minute you see them and still be a raging douche. "

Hi! Is it ok to suddenly barge into the discussion? (been away from GR but Elliott is one of my favorite writers).
I totally agree with you about Andevai. He made a bad first impression on me and I didn't really feel he redeemed himself as a romantic hero by the end of the book. I feel like Cat should ditch him. :)

colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ± (blackrose13) | 1269 comments Or, if she doesn't ditch him, at least make him suffer a little. ;)

message 24: by VMom (new)

VMom (votermom) | 45 comments Colleen ~blackrose~ wrote: "Or, if she doesn't ditch him, at least make him suffer a little. ;)"

That works too. Heh.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Colleen ~blackrose~ wrote: "Or, if she doesn't ditch him, at least make him suffer a whole lot. ;)"

FTFY

colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ± (blackrose13) | 1269 comments Cheers, Ala. I think I like your version better. *egrin*

unread topics | mark unread