Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Publish to Blogger

Comments (showing 1-50 of 59) (59 new)    post a comment »

Ana Mardoll (anamardoll) | 24 comments I'm having trouble setting up the publish to Blogger feature.

I went to the Blog Settings page (http://www.goodreads.com/user/blog_se...) using Firefox, selected "Blogger", and then used the "Authorize with Google" link to authorize GoodReads on my gmail account.

I then returned to the Blog Settings page and inputted the feed url from my blog source code, as shown.

For username, I'm a bit flummoxed whether I need to enter only the left-most side of my email ("anamardoll") or the entire email ("anamardoll@gmail.com"), but I've tried both.

For password, I input my Gmail password.

I always select the "save as draft" checkbox.

I then go to one of my GoodReads reviews, edit the review, select the "post to blog" checkbox and hit "Save".

The problem is that...nothing happens on my blog! My posts list doesn't have a new draft added, so I'm clearly doing something wrong, but I genuinely don't know what.

I feel kind of stupid that I'm not able to get this to work. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing? Sorry in advance for my idiocy!

~ Ana

Liesda Dachlan (leolies17) | 47 comments Ana, I never use the Gr blog up to now. I always use Google blog, so sorry I don't have any suggestion for you. But, thank you for email me and your information.

message 3: by Ana (last edited Feb 16, 2011 06:41AM) (new)

Ana Mardoll (anamardoll) | 24 comments Thank you for your nice response, Liesda.

For everyone else: I'm still not able to get this to work. Does anyone on here use the publish to Blogger option and can they tell me what I'm doing wrong? :(

Thanks!

EDIT: Edit to add that I tested this with a Wordpress blog, and that works fine for me. But I want this to work for my Blogger blog, and I can't get it to work at all. Very distressed.

(Also, should I post this in Bugs, not Suggestions?)

Ana Mardoll (anamardoll) | 24 comments Can anyone help me, please? :(

message 5: by Louise, Programher (new)

Louise | 387 comments Mod
Hi Ana,

For blogger, you should not need to insert your username or password. That's what authorizing with google should do. This sounds like a bug in the form. I'll take a look at it and let you know.

Ana Mardoll (anamardoll) | 24 comments Thank you, Louise, I REALLY appreciate it!! I know you're are really busy with other things, but I'm so excited/anxious to get this to work. :)

Please let me know if it's a browser issue - I've tried in Firefox 3.6.13 and IE8.

message 7: by Louise, Programher (new)

Hi Ana,

It was indeed a bug with the way the form was displaying. I've put in a fix for it that should be released tomorrow, so if you can try again in a day or two that'd be great. Let me know if this doesn't fix it.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention btw.

Ana Mardoll (anamardoll) | 24 comments Oh, thank you Louise!! I'm so glad it's just a simple bug and not massive brain damage on my part. I will definitely try again and let you know. You're the greatest! :)

Janet | 2 comments I'm trying to set up the automatic posting function from goodreads to blogger for my book club and I know it can be done because I experimented with my personal goodreads account and a blogger blog I created in December. I have been following this thread to see if the problem will be resolved and it appears that it will now accept blogger as an option and even authorize use but I still can't get my posts to appear on blogger.

Any help would be appreciated - my book club meets for the first time on Tuesday and I would like to be able to show them how to use both the blog and the goodreads account I have created for their use.

Thanks.

Ana Mardoll (anamardoll) | 24 comments This is still not working for me, either. Thanks. :)

message 11: by Louise, Programher (new)

Janet, is it working now? I see that you have all your credentials filled out correctly. Not really sure what the problem is now. If it's still not working, maybe try filling re-authorizing with blogger and setting it up from scratch on the Goodreads blogger form? I'm not sure why it works on your personal blog but not on your bookclub blog. How odd.

Ana, did you try again? I noticed your blogger account settings on Goodreads' end hasn't been filled in. Do you get taken back to the goodreads page where you have to fill out a post_url form after authorizing with blogger?

Ana Mardoll (anamardoll) | 24 comments Louise,

I set it up again today and it IS publishing to my blog - THANK YOU! - *BUT* I don't seem to have the "publish as draft" option (that checkbox disappears when you select "Blogger").

Is that possible with Blogger, because I REALLY like the draft option - helps me remember to go in, tweak the code (somehow I get extraneous carriage returns otherwise) and add tags. Etc.

For other users, I used Firefox to set the GoodReads settings. Not sure if IE8 works or not.

Janet | 2 comments Yeah!! It's working - I have it set up and it is posting to my blog so I am all set! -- Thanks

Ana Mardoll (anamardoll) | 24 comments Do we know if "Publish to Draft" will be added as a feature? Thanks!

Dad Bowers I'm also having lots of trouble setting up a widget/gadget in blogger of my reads on goodreads. the gadget form in blogger doesn't seem to accept the suggested html pastes: "too long", "broken", etc. comes back. the help page on this site doesn't seem to be up to date with the menu of blogger, either. Can some one help? http://malibowers.blogspot.com is the site I on which want to install the goodreads widget. Jim

Iain Harley (iHarley) | 5 comments Just wanted to "second" the "Publish to Draft" feature. I also had problems getting Goodreads and Blogger to hook up, but after deleting the settings on Goodreads then re-authorizing it everything worked like a charm. Thanks!

message 17: by ♥Tricia♥ (last edited Apr 28, 2011 05:18PM) (new)

♥Tricia♥ (WickedEnchantment) | 672 comments Doesn't work for Wordpress blogs either btw.

Nm!! Spoke too soon :D It lagged a bit I guess and it does indeed work :)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3726 comments I just set this up for my reviews to publish to my blog via Blogger, and everything worked fine. I tested it and my review published, which is awesome, but I don't seem to have the "publish as draft" option the Blog Settings page says I should.

Am I missing something or is the draft option not actually available?

Ana Mardoll (anamardoll) | 24 comments Becky wrote: "I just set this up for my reviews to publish to my blog via Blogger, and everything worked fine. I tested it and my review published, which is awesome, but I don't seem to have the "publish as draf..."

I think the "Publish to Draft" option currently only works for Wordpress blogs. :(

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3726 comments Ahh, OK. Thanks, Ana!

Iain Harley (iHarley) | 5 comments So I'm able to publish to Blogger, but it publishes the same review twice. Any ideas why that happens? Also, it'd be nice to be able to have the post be a draft first. THanks

Iain Harley (iHarley) | 5 comments I figured out why it was posting double. In the original review window I clicked for the review to be published on my blog. Then after submitting my review there's another window asking the same question and I said yes to that again. Seems redundant to me.

message 23: by I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (last edited Jul 30, 2011 11:21AM) (new)

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) | 750 comments I feel like an idiot because this is probably very simple, but...I am trying to publish my reviews to my blog and I have not been successful. I may not have my url correct...

-->>i am on blogger.com. It says I need to look for a line that looks like this:

href=" http://www.blogger.com/feeds/12341234... " />

-->>I DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING THAT LOOKED LIKE THIS BY FOLLOWING GR INSTRUCTIONS WHICH ARE:

go to your blog's main page and view the source

-->> CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE I FIND THE SOURCE? THIS IS WHAT I PUT IN THE URL:

Photobucket

THEN IT SAYS:

The URL to use is in the 'href' section. In the above example, your post url would be:
http://www.blogger.com/feeds/12341234...

WHERE DOES THIS GO?

WHEN I CLICK "PUBLISH TO BLOG", NOTHING HAPPENS.

message 24: by Becky (last edited Jul 30, 2011 12:55PM) (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3726 comments Bookie, you can view the source code of any webpage or site by right clicking and choosing "view source" or "view page source". It should open a new window with a whole lot of HTML and CSS codes.

Then you just do a search for the text you're looking for and copy it into the Goodreads field.

Hope that helps. :)

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) | 750 comments Becky wrote: "Bookie, you can view the source code of any webpage or site by right clicking and choosing "view source" or "view page source". It should open a new window with a whole lot of HTML and CSS codes.
..."

excellent! i will try that!

message 26: by Becky (last edited Jul 30, 2011 01:21PM) (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3726 comments No problem! The line you should be looking for will look exactly like the example line Goodreads shows. You will just need to replace the 1234123412341234 with the unique code from your blog's source. :)

So instead of "http://www. myblogname.blogspot .com", you would put in "http://www. blogger .com/feeds/__unique long code__/posts/default"

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) | 750 comments Becky wrote: "No problem! The line you should be looking for will look exactly like the example line Goodreads shows. You will just need to replace the 1234123412341234 with the unique code from your blog's sour..."

not in quotations though right? I did it with no quotations and it still doesn't auto post...

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 3726 comments Right, no quotations. I'll PM you and try to help figure it out. :)

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) | 750 comments Becky wrote: "Right, no quotations. I'll PM you and try to help figure it out. :)"

k thanks

Katrina (Kindred Dreamheart) I'm now experiencing the same issue as Ana. I've deleted settings and reinserted and its still not posting. Please help!

Mel (Soireb) | 233 comments I'm having problems too, i just updated a review, i checked the post to blog square it doesn't post.

Victoria Champion (victoriachampion) | 1 comments This does not work for me in publish to blogger on the blog settings page here at goodreads. I entered the feed url, chose blogger from the drop down, and then hit update and it says I updated, then I get a popup from firefox asking me if I want to change my gmail password. No I do not. Now what?

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) | 750 comments How long does it take for a review to post to blogger once you hit "post to blog"?

Mel (Soireb) | 233 comments I ♥ Bookie Nookie wrote: "How long does it take for a review to post to blogger once you hit "post to blog"?"

Immediatly.

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) | 750 comments ok, so what the heck am i doing wrong? as you can see, i gave this a shot last summer...and sweet becky even tried to help in a long session of pm's and nothing worked.

so, i thought I would give it another shot and it isn't working. are their any step by step instructions anywhere here on GR? it just doesn't seem like it should be this difficult...

Mel (Soireb) | 233 comments Have you followed this steps?

It was a bit tricky for me to get this working when I synced the accounts.

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) | 750 comments yes, mel, i did follow those steps... perhaps I don't have the correct post url??? where do i find that?

it says go to the blog's main page and view the source... are you familiar with blogger? i can't find "the source"

Mel (Soireb) | 233 comments yes, blogger is my platform.

You have to open your blog, the page that all your visitors see, not the dashboard and right click on any white space of the page to open a menu window.

there you choose the option 'view page source' and it will open (on a new tab) the entire HTML code of your blog.

On this tab hit the 'ctrl+F' to open the find option and paste this on the small field:

once that you find that section of the code you'll see that right below it is the link address necessary that you need to copy/paste here on the site. It'll look something like this:

Photobucket

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) | 750 comments you are the best...thank you for taking the time to lay it out for me... Let me see if I can do this :-) Cross your fingers :-)

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) | 750 comments OH MY FREAKING GOODNESS! IT IS JUST SHORT OF A MIRACLE! I DID IT!! WHOO HOO!!

THANK YOU MEL **kiss**kiss**

message 41: by Mel (last edited Apr 03, 2012 03:43PM) (new)

Mel (Soireb) | 233 comments LOL no problem and you are welcome. If I can help in any way I do, so don't mention it. Glad it worked ^.^

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) | 750 comments Mel wrote: "LOL no problem and you are welcome. If I can help in any way I do, so don't mention it. Glad it worked ^.^"

its good karma! i am glad you were there when i needed to collect on mine ;-)

Thanks again!

Mel (Soireb) | 233 comments ^.^

Brittany (bibliophile21) | 1 comments Becky thank you!! I could NOT figure out the "view page source" issue, and Google was not helping. Can't believe it was something so incredibly simple, I FINALLY managed to get a review to publish to my blog.

Terpsichore (camelliaeris) | 1 comments Hi,

I've tried the "post to blogger" feature as well, and it doesn't work. Help please.

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) | 750 comments Terpsichore wrote: "Hi,

I've tried the "post to blogger" feature as well, and it doesn't work. Help please."

Did you try to follow the instructions posted by Mel in message 38? That is what finally worked for me :-)

Lenz (lenzheartnet) | 3 comments I've followed the instruction, got the correct url and posted it on the blank url and save. But still, my reviews did not show on blogger even tho I've clicked post on blog.

Any ideas why?

I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com) (IBookieNookie) | 750 comments i used the instructions posted by Mel in message 38 and it worked for me. did you follow those instructions?

and are you the only one on the blog or does someone else also have their reviews importing? the reason I ask is b/c only 1 person can auto import to a blog.

Lenz (lenzheartnet) | 3 comments Yep. Am the only one. It's a personal blog.

I followed the instructions but sadly it did not work for me. I don't know why. Maybe there's a bug or something.

message 50: by Amanda (last edited Dec 26, 2013 06:32PM) (new)

Amanda Croley (amandacroley) | 3 comments Elena I am having the same problem. I looked at GR instructions, as well as the instructions Mel posted. Below is the example that GR gives for finding the correct post URL (for some reason it didn't post below). Was I only supposed to post the part of that link from http-default (obviously with everything in between)?

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread