Cozy Mysteries discussion

Find a book or series > Victorian cozies

Comments (showing 1-23 of 23) (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (bookwoman247) | 19 comments Recently I've become addicted to Victorian mysteries...ones with strong protagonists but have somewhat of a cozy feel.

For instance...

I already loved Elizabeth Peter's Amelia Peabody series.

I've just read And Only to Deceive by Tasha Alexander, and loved it.

I have a book by Deanna Raybourn on hold at the library, and I'm really looking forward to it.

I like Anne Perry also, even though she isn't quite so cozy.

I didn't really care for the Strange Files of Fremont Jones by Dianne Day for some reason.

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone has any suggestions for series for me to try. (Not that I need to get hooked on another one! I still have 10 Amelia Peabodys left to read, and a slew of Tasha Alexander's Emily Ashton series, and Deanne Raybourn's series! Lol!)

message 2: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (DeborahKliegl) | 64 comments Ann wrote: "Recently I've become addicted to Victorian mysteries...ones with strong protagonists but have somewhat of a cozy feel.

For instance...

I already loved Elizabeth Peter's Amelia Peabody series...."

You might try the Victorian Thompson series.

message 3: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (BookNerd69) | 260 comments The books by Victoria Thompson take place in New York at the turn of the century (1900's) and are very good. I have read all of them, except for the last two. Not sure if they qualify as Victorian, but they are very good period pieces.

message 4: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) | 1601 comments Mod
Try ... (recopied from our past featured author post on Susan Albert Wittig)

The Robin Paige Victorian-Edwardian Mysteries
by Bill & Susan Albert writing as Robin Paige
http://www.mysterypartners.com/Robin/
*NOTE: Series Complete

#1 Death at Bishop's Keep
#2 Death at Gallows Green
#3 Death at Daisy's Folly
#4 Death at Devil's Bridge
#5 Death at Rottingdean
#6 Death at Whitechapel
#7 Death at Epsom Downs
#8 Death at Dartmoor
#9 Death at Glamis Castle
#10 Death in Hyde Park
#11 Death at Blenheim Palace
#12 Death on the Lizard

Death at Bishop's Keep (A Victorian Mystery, #1) by Robin Paige Death at Gallows Green (A Victorian Mystery, #2) by Robin Paige Death at Daisy's Folly (A Victorian Mystery, #3) by Robin Paige Death at Devil's Bridge (A Victorian Mystery, #4) by Robin Paige Death at Rottingdean (A Victorian Mystery, #5) by Robin Paige Death at Whitechapel (A Victorian Mystery, #6) by Robin Paige Death at Epsom Downs (A Victorian Mystery, #7) by Robin Paige Death at Dartmoor (A Victorian Mystery, #8) by Robin Paige Death at Glamis Castle (A Victorian Mystery, #9) by Robin Paige Death in Hyde Park (A Victorian Mystery, #10) by Robin Paige Death at Blenheim Palace (A Victorian Mystery, #11) by Robin Paige Death on the Lizard (A Victorian Mystery, #12) by Robin Paige

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate Carlisle (KateCarlisle) | 35 comments Ann wrote: "I already loved Elizabeth Peter's Amelia Peabody series...."

I don't have a suggestion. I just wanted to say that I love Elizabeth Peters, too! Amelia Peabody is a terrific character.

message 6: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 691 comments Love Anne Perry's Charlotte & Thomas Pitt books as well as the Robin Paige series! Great reading - which is for me entertaining (enjoyable), educating (teaching me a little something) and inspiring (prompting me to want to learn more about some things and educate myself further).

message 7: by Shay (new)

Shay | 436 comments I haven't read it yet, doesn't sound like a cozy, but I have Devoured by D.E. Meredith in my TBR pile. It's described as a Victorian forensic mystery.

Also, Emily Brightwell's Mrs. Jeffries mysteries. I can't remember if they're "strictly" Victorian, but they feel very Victorian. Also, Rhys Bowen's Molly Murphy series which is set in New York during the 1860's.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2330 comments These are Edwardian, but how about Snobbery With Violence  by Marion Chesney by Marian Chesney (aka MC Beaton)??

message 9: by Shay (new)

Shay | 436 comments Oh and Gyles Brandreth's Oscar Wilde mysteries.

message 10: by Judy (new)

Judy (julianka) | 46 comments
Also, Emily Brightwell's Mrs. Jeffries mysteries. I can't remember if they're "strictly" Victorian, but they feel very Victorian.

I'm a big fan of Mrs. Jeffries and crew. I believe they are Victorian, yes.

Mary  (Biblophile) | 704 comments I love the Mrs. Jeffries series. Very likable characters.

The Pennyfoot Hotel series is Edwardian and quite entertaining.

Although not Victorian, I liked The Gilded Age series by P.B. Ryan which takes place post Civil War.

message 12: by Shay (new)

Shay | 436 comments Shirley Tallman's Sarah Woolson series set in 1860's San Francisco. The first book in the series is Murder on Nob Hill.

message 13: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (mortuivivosdocent) Shay wrote: "I haven't read it yet, doesn't sound like a cozy, but I have Devoured by D.E. Meredith in my TBR pile. It's described as a Victorian forensic mystery.

Also, [author..."

Actually, the Rhys Bowen series is set after the turn of the century....more Edwardian.

message 14: by Elizabeth (last edited Mar 01, 2011 01:38PM) (new)

Elizabeth (mortuivivosdocent) Anne Perry is a good choice (not bad for a murderess, eh?), as is Elizabeth Peters, D.E. Meredith (mentioned above), Laurie King's Mary Russell series starts at the end of the Victorian/Edwardian period and on into the Jazz age (excellent books for Sherlock Holmes buffs!), Charles Finch's books are excellent, as well. The September Society (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #2) by Charles Finch The Beekeeper's Apprentice (Mary Russell, #1) by Laurie R. King Devoured by D.E. Meredith

message 15: by Robin (new)

Robin (mrtutt2) | 5 comments Why do you have to mention that Anne Perry was a murderess,I have met her she is a charming woman.She paid for what she did as a child.She is an excellent author who does a lot of research for her books.

Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave (HarryDresdensLoveSlave) | 102 comments I read Anne Perry too.

Anyway, not sure if these meet all your criteria but I really like them: the Francesca Cahill series by Brenda Joyce Deadly Love

message 17: by Christine (new)

Christine Brannen (murdermostbritish) | 102 comments I can second most of the recommendations made so far. I haven't run across D.E. Meredith, I may have to seek out the first one to giv eit a try. I love the Victorian and Edwardian period books.

You might try the Barker & Llewellyn mysteries by Will Thomas. Not cozy like Mrs. Jeffries, but not terribly graphic either.

And I don't think I saw the Pennyfoot Hotel mysteries metnioned...they are in the Victorian and Edwardian eras as well. Cozy like Mrs. Jeffries.

message 18: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Mar 06, 2011 02:52PM) (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "Anne Perry is a good choice (not bad for a murderess, eh?), as is Elizabeth Peters, D.E. Meredith (mentioned above), Laurie King's Mary Russell series starts at the end of the Victorian/Edwardian p..."

Please, if you're commenting about the author herself and not a character, be polite. We don't bash authors or anyone else here, regardless of their personal history. I don't know what you think the author has or hasn't done, but in this group here, our rules state you will be polite to each other. I removed one post above already due to it's graphic description of violence. This is not the place for that type of discussion.

message 19: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 691 comments Thanks, Briansgirl. I too have met Anne Perry and found her to be very nice. But what we are really discussing around here should be the books, not the authors and their personal lives. I, for one, appreciate your efforts on our behalf. : )

message 20: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Thanks Caroline. And your welcome. I've never met this particular author. But yes, we are here to discuss the books, not the author's private lives.

message 21: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (DeborahKliegl) | 64 comments Christine wrote: "I can second most of the recommendations made so far. I haven't run across D.E. Meredith, I may have to seek out the first one to giv eit a try. I love the Victorian and Edwardian period books.
..."

Loved the Barker and Llewellyn series!

Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave (HarryDresdensLoveSlave) | 102 comments I have the 1st 2 of those Robin Paige books. I had no idea they were Victorian era mysteries. Someone gave me the 2nd one and I ordered the 1st from paperbackswap.

message 23: by Karen (new)

Karen Other than Agatha Christi, I would list Anne Perry as my top author. Adore her. Her Christmas mysteries series surely could justify as "cozies." maybe not her others.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Death at Epsom Downs (other topics)
Death at Daisy's Folly (other topics)
Death on the Lizard (other topics)
Death at Blenheim Palace (other topics)
Death at Dartmoor (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Victoria Thompson (other topics)
Robin Paige (other topics)
Emily Brightwell (other topics)