Audiobooks discussion

What is the best audiobook who-done-it mystery?

Comments (showing 1-33 of 33) (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jure (new)

Jure (Hoornet) | 12 comments I'm talking about best audiobook who-done-it mystery EVER! Not just this year, A must-hear, if you will.
A book must have at least good narration and a great story.
Any ideas?

message 2: by Celia (new)

Celia | 10 comments I really love And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

It had me guessing to the end.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1479 comments I am a big fan of Agatha Christie in general Celia. Jure - do you like straight suspense novels or cozy type mysteries??

message 4: by Jure (new)

Jure (Hoornet) | 12 comments Heidi I wrote: "I am a big fan of Agatha Christie in general Celia. Jure - do you like straight suspense novels or cozy type mysteries??"
I read/listened-to all Agatha Chriestie's & Conan Doyle's books and am now in the new hunt. But any audiobook in style of 'thinking who-done-it' should do.

message 5: by Jure (new)

Jure (Hoornet) | 12 comments Celia wrote: "I really love And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

It had me guessing to the end."

Been there, done that :)
Thanks anyway

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 64 comments @Jure have you ever done any P.D. James?

message 7: by Heidi (Yup. Still here.) (last edited Feb 09, 2011 02:26PM) (new)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1479 comments For cozies on audio I like the Agatha Raisin series The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1) by M.C. Beaton is the first one as well as the Goldy Bear series - first one is Catering to Nobody (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #1) by Diane Mott Davidson. I also like the series Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter (Dixie Hemingway, #1) by Blaize Clement and the Death on Demand series Death on Demand (Death on Demand, #1) by Carolyn Hart on audio. For straight suspense there is always James Patterson or John Sandford. I also really loved the Millennium triology on audio The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson is the first book.

message 8: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) For who-done-it that turns out to be someone that you never would have suspected, I recommend Jeffery Deaver - he writes the Bone Collector series with Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs (among others). One of the best mystery audios (in my opinion) is Christine Falls (Quirke, #1) by Benjamin Black and the sequel, The Silver Swan (Quirke, #2) by Benjamin Black by Benjamin Black and narrated by Timothy Dalton. I wasn't as big a fan of the third one in the series but the first two are great.

message 9: by Ernestine (new)

Ernestine | 7 comments Michael wrote: "@Jure have you ever done any P.D. James?"

I have listened to most PDJ and I really like all of her characters and the British culture and the really good mysteries.

message 10: by Janice (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 711 comments I really enjoyed Dark Places

I haven't listened to a lot of mysteries in audiobook format, but after Dark Places, I'll listen to more.

message 11: by Seth (last edited Feb 09, 2011 05:55PM) (new)

Seth Jones (Sayeth) | 18 comments The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle, narrated by John Telfer, available for free at Project Gutenberg. If you haven't listened to any Sherlock Holmes, this is a great place to start.

message 12: by Jure (new)

Jure (Hoornet) | 12 comments Michael wrote: "@Jure have you ever done any P.D. James?"

Not yet... Tnx

message 13: by Jure (new)

Jure (Hoornet) | 12 comments Seth wrote: "The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle, narrated by John Telfer, available for free at Project Gutenberg. If you haven't listened to any Sherlock Holmes, this is a great place to start."
Read this too.
But I do most like detective mysteries!

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 8 comments I don't read many mystery books. I went on a kick in middle school/early high school and once I was off that kick I've not really gone back. However I really like the idea of mystery audiobooks. I think I'll try some of these.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1479 comments Cassi - Mysteries and YA books on audio are my two favorites because they are easy to listen to while driving.

message 16: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 1551 comments Have you ever tried anything by Louise Penny her Chief Inspector Gamache reminded me alot of Poirot they are set in Canada and the first book is called Still Life

message 17: by Doreen (new)

Doreen Dalesandro (agileCairn) | 49 comments Jure wrote: "I'm talking about best audiobook who-done-it mystery EVER! Not just this year, A must-hear, if you will.
A book must have at least good narration and a great story.
Any ideas?"

Hi, June --
I do my best listening while walking. When I was listening to Shatter by Michael Robotham I was so engrossed that before I knew it I had walked 7 miles!

But I also agree with Heidi that the Millennium trilogy (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson) is one of the best!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1479 comments Susie wrote: "Have you ever tried anything by Louise Penny her Chief Inspector Gamache reminded me alot of Poirot they are set in Canada and the first book is called Still Life"

Another good choice! Love that series.

message 19: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Me too, Doreen! I couldn't walk without a book to listen to.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 8 comments I'm listening to the Millennium Trilogy but I never thought of it as a "who done it" somewhere in my head I filed it in the category "books about journalists." Blame majoring journalism during college.

I'm listening to the last one and it kind of rambles at times. I just want it to get to the juicy stuff! I don't really care how the Swedish government works.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1479 comments The author does tend to ramble Cassi! I think since he (the author) passed away they were almost afraid to edit anything out, but they really could have :)

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard | 8 comments I know about his death. There have been times that its jumped to a new perspective for just one scene and it throws me (woman in woods--thats my hint if you've listened to all 3 & I think completely spoiler free b/c its so short). And I'm currently listening to a whole section where they're talking about the organization of the Swedish police & government. UGH!

Also it makes me laugh how they refer to everyone by last name, which is of course what you do in journalism. Occasionally I've gotten totally mixed up because there are so many old men either security officers/police officers.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1479 comments I feel your pain Cassi. My mind wandered off more than once, but I blame the publisher for not editing more than the writer. I am a huge Lisbeth fan, so all I did was wait for more scenes with Lisbeth! That is why I loved book 2 so much, because it was ALL Lisbeth. I still love the series overall, but agree with you 100%.

message 24: by John, Moderator (last edited Feb 13, 2011 09:35AM) (new)

John | 3246 comments Mod
I'm going to jump in and mention (yet again!) George Guidall's narration of Tony Hillerman's Chee/Leaphorn mystery series (set in Navajo country) as perhaps the best author-narrator fit I've run across since I started listening to audiobooks many years ago!

message 25: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) I find it interesting that the U.S. titles were changed to make it seem like Lisbeth is the main character for all three books. I think that was the wrong thing to do - why not just keep the Swedish titles? It makes so much more sense.

John, your mentioning of this series is getting to me, like a subliminal message!! I know I am going to end up at the library one day, checking it out with a happy look on my face and no idea why I'm doing it...hahaha, J/K.

message 26: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3246 comments Mod
I should re-listen to some of the books myself! Robert Redford produced videos of three stories that were excellent - if your library has them, get one and see!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1479 comments They are good John - I listened to a few years ago. I may need to return to the series soon.

message 28: by Aileen (new)

Aileen | 19 comments I get my audiobooks through iTunes and there is a very limited range. Louise Penny, for example, isn't listed. I love those books, but I don't know how you would get them on audio.

I find there are specific authors/readers that really work on audio. My favourites are;
Grover Gardner reading Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series
Hugh Fraser reading Agatha Christie
I have also enjoyed the Miss Silver books by
Patricia Wentworth, many of the Sherlock Holmes titles, both novels and short stories - though I recommend you review before you buy, because some of the renditions are awful.
I'm now going to download a P D James so I'll let you know what I think.

message 29: by Aileen (new)

Aileen | 19 comments John wrote: "I'm going to jump in and mention (yet again!) George Guidall's narration of Tony Hillerman's Chee/Leaphorn mystery series (set in Navajo country) as perhaps the best author-narrator fit I've run ac..."

ooo I had no idea those were on audio! I'm so excited!!

message 30: by Dacia (new)

Dacia | 102 comments Aileen, you really should try audible. You can buy their content without signing up for a plan and it easily imports into iTunes. (In fact, I think alot of the iTunes audio books are directly taken from audible content.)

message 31: by Linda (new)

Linda (WeezieReads) I liked Richard North Patterson's "The Spire. I recruited another audiobook convert by lending this book to a friend who also loved it and asked me to recommend more books.

I agree with Aileen and others that Louise Penny's Three Pines Mysteries are excellent on audio. Inspector Gamache is great to follow. Starting with "Still Life" will give you the flavor of the 'snow globe' community of Three Pines and allow you to see the development of the characters.

message 32: by Aileen (new)

Aileen | 19 comments Dacia wrote: "Aileen, you really should try audible. You can buy their content without signing up for a plan and it easily imports into iTunes. (In fact, I think alot of the iTunes audio books are directly tak..."

Yep, thanks to this discussion thread, I joined audible :).

message 33: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3246 comments Mod
I've noticed that Audible has become more aggressive about releasing books on which they have an audio monopoly (at least short term) under "Audible, Inc." as the producer, making joining worthwhile as they're not going to be available from libraries.