The Dark Side of the Moon discussion

General Discussion > Currently Reading

Comments (showing 1-50 of 371) (371 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Steph, Twisted Sister (last edited Feb 07, 2011 08:52PM) (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 736 comments Mod
Share the DUF you're currently reading here!
PNRs with any darkly elements too!

Be sure to let us know what you think of it when you're done and if you'd recommend it or not. Don't forget to add it to the group bookshelf.

message 2: by Judithe, ~Bump of Chicken~ (new)

Judithe | 242 comments Mod
Reading Karen Chance's Embrace the Night...hmmm...does it qualify as dark? Considering the issues she's dealing with, war on hand, etc., maybe!

message 3: by Steph, Twisted Sister (last edited Feb 08, 2011 10:37PM) (new)

I would say yes. :) Both that one and her other series "Dorina Basarab".

ETA: Think it would classify as DUF with a touch of romance, but not PNR, IMO.

message 4: by Steph, Twisted Sister (new)

I'm listening to Kitty Goes to Washington. I've spotted Carrie Vaughn listed as a DUF author. And, Kitty is struggling finding out where she fits in the shifter world.

message 5: by Judithe, ~Bump of Chicken~ (new)

I'm planning to get around to Dorina this year...so many interesting books still to explore! Enjoying Kitty very much, too!

message 6: by Steph, Twisted Sister (new)

I really like Dorina. A bit better than Cassie, actually, although I like that one too.

"...so many interesting books still to explore!" Absolutely! :)

message 7: by Sandra, Pink Floyd (new)

Sandra | 156 comments Mod
Love Dorina, getting into Cassie this year. It's in the challenges, honest!

message 8: by Steph, Twisted Sister (new)

LOL! Ok, good then!

message 9: by Judithe, ~Bump of Chicken~ (new)

Haven't worked Dorina into any challenges....yet! But there's this nifty one coming up in March that I'll see about...if I get a book by then!

Vivian (_vivian) Cassie's in my challenges too!

I'll probably read Nightlife (Cal Leandros, #1) by Rob Thurman or Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1) by Simon R. Green for a challenge this month, so I'll let you know how it goes.

message 11: by Judithe, ~Bump of Chicken~ (new)

Looking forward to hearing about those! So many more I have to TBR!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

DUF, I like that. Haha. I've just started Angels' Blood now, hope I'll enjoy it as much as everybody else seem to do!

FlibBityFLooB I'm in the middle of the Nocturne City series... Currently reading book 3 (Second Skin)

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 32 comments I'm currently reading Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane which is a BOM and a challenge read.

Josie | 102 comments I've just finished that and really liked it, hope you do aswell. Nice and gritty. Waiting (im)patiently for the next one to reappear in the library...

message 16: by Sandra, Pink Floyd (new)

I'm halfway into Archangel's Consort  (Guild Hunter, #3) by Nalini Singh and really loving it. Pretty cover too!

message 17: by Steph, Twisted Sister (new)

Judithe wrote: "Haven't worked Dorina into any challenges....yet! But there's this nifty one coming up in March that I'll see about...if I get a book by then!"

Sneaky! :D

Vivian, Hope you enjoy "The Nightside". I need to get back to that series, I really enjoyed it, but got distracted by some many new ones.

Rebecca, oooo, LOVED that one! Enjoy!

Ditto, Ames' choice.

How are you liking AC, Sandra? Just finished mine this morning and the ending left me, of course, wanting the next one (GH & PSY-C) NOW.

message 18: by Steph, Twisted Sister (new)

I'm almost done with the Kitty Goes to Washington audiobook and about to start Mind Games (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #1) by Carolyn Crane. I'm excited about starting that series.

Vivian (_vivian) Mind Games was a trip! Super original.

message 20: by Sandra, Pink Floyd (new)

Steph wrote: "How are you liking AC, Sandra? Just finished mine this morning and the ending left me, of course, wanting the next one (GH & PSY-C) NOW."

I'm up to the part where Bluebell has been grabbed. Loving it.

message 21: by Steph, Twisted Sister (new)

Yay! Looking forward to it!

message 22: by Steph, Twisted Sister (new)

Movin' right along, knew you would! :D Yay!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Steph wrote: "Rebecca, oooo, LOVED that one! Enjoy!"

I've heard so much good about it! I'm really curious to see why everyone loves it so much. Here's hoping I'm not the black sheep!

message 24: by Judithe, ~Bump of Chicken~ (new)

You got it!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I must say, I'm glad my MIL was nothing like Elena's!

message 25: by Steph, Twisted Sister (new)

LOL @ MIL

message 26: by Judithe, ~Bump of Chicken~ (new)

Oh, and finished Embrace the Night (Cassandra Palmer, #3) by Karen Chance. I'm enjoying this series more and more!

message 27: by Steph, Twisted Sister (new)

Yay! I'm glad! I'll be re-reading #4, Curse the Dawn, at some point prior to the June release of #5, if you'd like to buddy read.

message 28: by Judithe, ~Bump of Chicken~ (new)

Sounds good! I've now got in on hand, but won't be reading it until at least March. When are you looking at starting it?

message 29: by Steph, Twisted Sister (new)

Didn't have a date in mind, so I'll leave that up to you, if you've already got it in a certain challenge. Anytime before the next release is good w/me.

message 30: by Judithe, ~Bump of Chicken~ (new)

Hmmm....actually, I just picked it up so have to do some juggling to get it in there...and it will be accomplished!

message 31: by Steph, Twisted Sister (new)

:) No worries. Anytime pre-June will work for me at this point.

message 32: by Judithe, ~Bump of Chicken~ (new)

OK!

message 33: by Steph, Twisted Sister (new)

:D

message 34: by Sandra, Pink Floyd (new)

You're both being very sneaky, but I did fit Embrace the Night (Cassandra Palmer, #3) by Karen Chance in there and I did manage to fit in Curse the Dawn (Cassandra Palmer, #4) by Karen Chance as well. Just have to read the first 2 before then. LOL.

message 35: by Judithe, ~Bump of Chicken~ (new)

LOL! I'm sure you'll squeeze them in...this is another series that I think gets better each book!

Vivian (_vivian) I've still only read the first one, but I'll get to the others eventually...

message 37: by Kelli (last edited Feb 12, 2011 02:35PM) (new)

Kelli (incababy32) | 58 comments I just finished
Mind Games (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #1) by Carolyn Crane Double Cross (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #2) by Carolyn Crane

The concept is different from anything else that I have read. I put off reading it for a while because I guess it just didn't sound interesting to me but then I read the dirtysexybook blog about dark fantasy earlier this week and decided to give them a try.

message 38: by Steph, Twisted Sister (new)

Sandra wrote: "You're both being very sneaky..."
Who, us?? Nah! :D

I just finished Mind Games too, Kelli. I thought it was a fun read. Definitely different. I may hold off on #2 for a bit, waiting for #3 to come out. We'll see.

message 39: by Sandra, Pink Floyd (new)

LOL!

Ginny I'm just about to start Never Knew Another though I'm not really sure what to expect. I've been told it's quite a weird, but good, book but not sure if it's a DUF or not. The main characters are demon's children in hiding, & it's narrated by a wolf, so it sounds pretty dar to me. Awesome cover too:
Never Knew Another by J.M. McDermott

message 41: by Steph, Twisted Sister (new)

Sounds very interesting, Ginny. Be sure to pop back when you're done and let us know what you thought of it.

message 42: by Sandra, Pink Floyd (new)

Always interested in something new and I haven't heard of this one, Ginny.

Kelli (incababy32) | 58 comments I started Nightwalker (Dark Days, #1) by Jocelynn Drake
last night around 8 and am about 87% finished (in Kyndahl terms). I found it on here and even though it is months until the last book I started the series - stupid, stupid, stupid ;P

message 44: by Steph, Twisted Sister (new)

LOL! That series gets better with each book, IMO. Glad you're enjoying it. :)

Kelli (incababy32) | 58 comments Now I am 54% done with Dayhunter (Dark Days, #2) by Jocelynn Drake

Vivian (_vivian) 72% done with Staked (Void City, #1) by J.F. Lewis. It took about 30% for me to start getting into it, then I was really enjoying it, and now all I can think is (view spoiler)

Went on a little rant there, oops. I'm going to finish it tonight and we'll see how it all goes down. I am liking it though, despite my annoyance, and Tabitha has surprised me in a good way.

message 47: by Ginny (last edited Feb 15, 2011 04:22PM) (new)

Ginny Finished Never Knew Another by J.M. McDermott. I can see what people meant by weird, but it was pretty good & I'd say kind of dark too. It felt like a mix of high, historical & urban fantasy & I thought it worked well enough. I'm a little annoyed it ended on a sort of cliff hanger.

The basic plot:
(view spoiler)

I'll be getting the next book.

message 48: by Steph, Twisted Sister (last edited Feb 15, 2011 06:22PM) (new)

Go, Kelli! :D

Vivian, I hear ya! LOL! He's a walking blunder that one. (view spoiler)

Skipping your spoiler, there, Ginny, but glad you liked it overall.

Vivian (_vivian) Okay, finished it and yes, the book redeemed itself by the end. I dare say there's even a little rhyme and reason to everything that I was annoyed by. In the grand scheme of things, a very good overall story. I'll probably be reading the next one sooner than later.

message 50: by Steph, Twisted Sister (new)

Cool! I'm glad you ended up liking it. :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Embrace the Night (other topics)
Kitty Goes to Washington (other topics)
Nightlife (other topics)
Something from the Nightside (other topics)
Angels' Blood (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Clive Barker (other topics)
Stephen King (other topics)
Dean Koontz (other topics)