The Other Boleyn Girl (The Tudor Court, #2) The Other Boleyn Girl discussion

It's fiction

Comments (showing 1-41 of 41) (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karen This book is fiction and I think we all know that.

Nikki No its not. Its actually history. Idiot. Go watch the movie, and the movie King Henry the eight U might also just wanna go search ur history books. Dumb Bum

Megan actually pretty much everything with mary is true. the fiction only comes in really with anne's supposed affairs and incest.

Keith It is historical fiction. The basic facts are true, the character interaction is projected. The author does a very good job of imagining the thoughts and everyday life of the characaters, but those parts are made up.

Xime Lage Well, it's a historical novel, not a history book....basic facts coincide with history but details are obviously total fiction. I think it's great as a whole! Couldn't put it down.

Kandice If there were no "made up" details, it would be, like someone has said, a History text! I think the beauty of historical fiction, is that it helps those of us bored by texts, keep some of the facts in our heads!!!

Bih-Ning I think most of the story is based on facts, since there is actually a Mary Boleyn (though I was not aware of her when we study the Tudors way back in year 6) and she had indeed been the mistress of Henry VIII. The details of the story is probably made up though (like the part where they helped Anne get rid of her stillborns), since it's a novel after all.

Juju The book contains well researched facts with plenty of artistic licence - which is fine. I think (girls) we are all agreed that artistic licence is a fine thing when it decides Henry VIII looked liked Jonathan Rhys Myers! Aren't we?

Nora aka Diva Keith wrote: "It is historical fiction. The basic facts are true, the character interaction is projected. The author does a very good job of imagining the thoughts and everyday life of the characaters, but those..."

Exactly.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Nora wrote: "Keith wrote: "It is historical fiction. The basic facts are true, the character interaction is projected. The author does a very good job of imagining the thoughts and everyday life of the characat..."

Nikki wrote: "No its not. Its actually history. Idiot. Go watch the movie, and the movie King Henry the eight U might also just wanna go search ur history books. Dumb Bum "

Its historical FICTION. It is based on fact. There was some questions on acuracy but it was a very good historical fiction book.

Paula Phillipa Gregory is a student of the Tudors and has researched them for years. I enjoy learning about history through historical novels - - as long as I remember they are novels.

message 12: by Maria (new) - added it

Maria The book was very good - i read a few years back and could not put it down! All of the characters existed, just their interaction is fictionated, of course! No one will ever know what they really did, said or felt for each other - this is why is called Historical Fiction: you get facts, persons and events and the fiction part is how they would feel, thought, act.

Mary Boleyn existed alright - she was the Grandmother of Leticia Knollys, 2nd wife of Sir Robert Dudley, famous Master of the Horse of Elizabethan court and alleged lover of Elizabeth I. The questions of incest is still very dim, but it was a theory that PG exploited for plot terms, since Anne was in fact accused of incest, so, she took that path and very well i might say. I love reading PG - she has very well researched facts and some awesome theories that blend well in the plotline.

Leslie Keith wrote: "It is historical fiction. The basic facts are true, the character interaction is projected. The author does a very good job of imagining the thoughts and everyday life of the characaters, but those..."

I could not have said it better, Keith!

Karen I read this, but never knew how truthful it was to history. great insight on here.

message 15: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary Nikki wrote: "No its not. Its actually history. Idiot. Go watch the movie, and the movie King Henry the eight U might also just wanna go search ur history books. Dumb Bum "

Oh yes, and we all know movies are famous for being absolutely true and accurate! I was actually living in San Diego the time that T-rex escaped off the ship and ran wild through downtown Corona looking for her baby! It was scary! But you know, it really happened because a movie wouldn't lie!

Karen Mary wrote: "Nikki wrote: "No its not. Its actually history. Idiot. Go watch the movie, and the movie King Henry the eight U might also just wanna go search ur history books. Dumb Bum "

Oh yes, and we all kn..."

lol

message 17: by Maria (new) - added it

Maria Mary wrote: "Nikki wrote: "No its not. Its actually history. Idiot. Go watch the movie, and the movie King Henry the eight U might also just wanna go search ur history books. Dumb Bum "

Oh yes, and we all kn..."

Hahahah yeah movies are gospel in which we must rules our lives from!

It was part History, part fiction - that is why is called Historical Fiction....but i must say i hated the movie: it did not follow the book at all, Mary was almost obliterated from it, the full center stage was Anne, they cutted important scenes that made the conection between different actions - like on one cene there was Mary with her 1st husband, Henry Carey and then, on the very next time she appears on screen she is already flirting with her 2nd husband without so much as one reference that Henry had died of the Sweat Disease in the mean time and that she was not turning bigamus.

If there was ever an innacurate movie made from a book, this is it.

message 18: by Karen (last edited Nov 18, 2011 05:13AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen Maria wrote: "Mary wrote: "Nikki wrote: "No its not. Its actually history. Idiot. Go watch the movie, and the movie King Henry the eight U might also just wanna go search ur history books. Dumb Bum "

Oh yes, an..."

I like to be a peacemaker. What can I say in wisdom that would diffuse what is going on here, even though it is really not my argument. There are differences between opinions and facts though. do You not think? And I do love the hair and clothing on historical movies myself. I praise God though, that I did not have to dress like that this morning. always a reason to thank God.

message 19: by Maria (new) - added it

Maria Yes, there are key differences between facts and opinions - there will always be that way. Every different person that looks at the same facts will derive different opinions due to personnality, comprehension-wise of the matter in question.
I just thought it funny that she stated that it was History simply because of the movie made - we all know Henry VIII, Anne Boleyn outside of that movie: from non-fictional and fictional books, text books,etc.

Karen Maria wrote: "Yes, there are key differences between facts and opinions - there will always be that way. Every different person that looks at the same facts will derive different opinions due to personnality, co..."
Yes.

Catherine Eskridge Paula wrote: "Phillipa Gregory is a student of the Tudors and has researched them for years. I enjoy learning about history through historical novels - - as long as I remember they are novels."

I agree totally. You can learn about a time and place by reading historical novels, but must also keep in mind that they are novels and not everything in them is factual.

message 22: by Maria (new) - added it

Maria Catherine wrote: "Paula wrote: "Phillipa Gregory is a student of the Tudors and has researched them for years. I enjoy learning about history through historical novels - - as long as I remember they are novels."

..."

Pinch of salt, as i´ve said before - if you want to learn more, take a text book, a non-fictional one: that´s were are all the hard-boiled down facts.

Laura Wise Sometimes, you have to fudge the facts in order to be true to the story. If that makes sense. Historical fiction is an exercise in doing that. PG researched the Tudors and told the story she wanted to tell -- a FICTION story, BASED on fact. Go read a textbook and you'll find conflicting views on the ages of the Boleyn siblings, Mary's affairs, Anne's supposed affairs, the dates of events, George's sexuality etc. Now if PG had introduced aliens to the plot I'd have had an issue, but while reading, none of that really matters. Also, it all happened about 500 years ago, and the fact remains that we literally don't know what exactly went down.

message 24: by Maria (new) - added it

Maria Laura - fully agree with you.

I don´t know what happened recently but as in here as in other forums had been raised the question of accuracy and authors twisting facts to serve their plots - but these people are talking about FICTION writters and in fictionland you can do whatever you want to serve your plotline and these people are questioning it like it was non-fiction books, which are 2 different things and not to be compared, because they have only one thing in common: History. The rest, one goes to hard facts the other one uses the facts to build a story based on them.

And the most disturbing thing is that there are historical fiction authors bashing others like they were above them - sad!

message 25: by Kali (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kali Bih-Ning wrote: "I think most of the story is based on facts, since there is actually a Mary Boleyn (though I was not aware of her when we study the Tudors way back in year 6) and she had indeed been the mistress o..."

If anything, that part is probably true.

I personally feel that the most likely theory is that Anne's blood type was rhesus negative, while Henry's was rhesus positive. That would result in their having one healthy child (Elizabeth) and Anne's body spontaneously aborting any future children with rhesus positive blood types (likely, any child she conceived, with Henry or otherwise, since positive blood is so common).

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

That is in interesting theory about the blood types. I have often wondered about the child issue with both Katherine and Anne.

Ashley Smith This is a great series. It does have some truth in it but some is just great writing. I became obsessed with the tudors after reading this and read everything i could get my hands on. Henry just stated the ann did all of this so he could go and marry jane. Same way he said that he and Katherine were never married because she slept with his brohter first. He just wanted to get new tail who he thought would be better than what he had at the moment.

message 28: by Gina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gina its fiction. The idea, the characters and alot of the plotline is true. But I'm sure there are many events in there that never happened and topics that were certainly never discussed. There are alot of events and themes here that certainly did take place, like the death of Cardinal Mosley and of course the divorce of Catherine and the beheading of Anne. But in truth, there is alot of gaps in the story, filled in with her tweaking and excellent writing.

Kirby Karen wrote: " I praise God though, that I did not have to dress like that this morning..."

yeah, PG's novels always make me grateful not to have been born a woman back then!

Dorothy Megan wrote: "actually pretty much everything with mary is true. the fiction only comes in really with anne's supposed affairs and incest."

The really neat thing though is that some of the things, such as Anne's affair and incest were actually speculations at the time. Perhaps never proven, but still considderred to be possibilities. She was accused by some of these things. So we really do not know if this part is fiction or factual actually. The way Greggory chooses to expresses the characters thoughts, motivations, etc. is certainly her using an 'artistic license' since none of us could know these things for certain.

Dorothy Maria wrote: "Catherine wrote: "Paula wrote: "Phillipa Gregory is a student of the Tudors and has researched them for years. I enjoy learning about history through historical novels - - as long as I remember th..."

Karen wrote: "This book is fiction and I think we all know that. "

I'd never learn more that way b/c I'd be too damned bored to get through the book!

message 32: by Maria (new) - added it

Maria In this case, we all know that Anne was accused of adultery, incest and sorcery merely for the sake of Henry VIII being bored silly with her and wanting desperatly a male heir and Jane Seymour was there, at hand to give him just that - if you ask me, and by all i´ve read, i would say that the accusations were trumped from begining to end, but....we will never know. PG takes those facts and builds the story on them, turning a mere possibility of what could have happened in to a story by itself, and that is quite engenious, but for sure "artistic license".

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Karen wrote: "This book is fiction and I think we all know that. "

the book story line is correct there might be some fiction but its really minor.

message 34: by Elizabeth (last edited Feb 25, 2012 07:42PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elizabeth Reuter Suela wrote: the book story line is correct there might be some fiction but its really minor."

Actually, Gregory's historical inaccuracies were huge, from mistaking Mary for the younger sister to making Mary happy to move to the country when she actually spent years trying to move back to court! She also presented a lot of wild theories--Anne committing incest, George being gay--as fact, though to be fair those ARE real theories, even though almost no credible historian takes them seriously.

I have a history professor friend who says he's been driven crazy since OBG came out, because hordes of young women who think they know what happened keep walking into his class and trying to correct him. ^^

Wikipedia's a good place to look first, because its sources are cited; you can track down all the facts from their references section.

Elizabeth Reuter
-Author, Demon of Renaissance Drive

message 35: by Maria (new) - added it

Maria Gregory is a fiction writter - she can takes those kind of liberties like presenting whatever theories she fancy to try and explain events, some gaps in the storyline. I think no one picks up a novel and lives and dies by it, but this is just my personnal opinion.....

Leslie Molloy Megan wrote: "actually pretty much everything with mary is true. the fiction only comes in really with anne's supposed affairs and incest."

Actually, there is less known about Mary Boleyn, than about her sister Anne.

Marina Even a fictional book has to be well-written, not this poor excuse for a self-insert RPF.
I've tried to read this novel and I couldn't be more dissapointed.
The next Gregory book I read, "The White Queen", was much better.

Julie The book wasn't all that bad. I found it interesting. But, the movie though was awful. Boring!

message 39: by Angie (new)

Angie I haven't read the book, but I saw the movie. What I disliked is how was put Anne Boleyn's character.

message 40: by Maria (new) - added it

Maria Urgh the movie - it was a mess! Good cast of actors especcially Anne, played by Natalie Portman: she did great!And Eric Bana as Henry VIII hubba-hubba hahahah to me, the least favourite of them all was really Mary: Scarlett Johansen really didn´t live up to the role, but that is just my opinion on it.
The script was lousy, and some importan cenes were left on the floor of the editing room like one cene Mary is talking to her 1st husband and the very next cene we see with her she is already beying wooed by her 2nd husband - the cene where Carey dies of disease does not appear; this is just one of the blunders they did. I liked the book, loved it really has a good pace and they simply butchered it - can´t believe that PG was a consultant on the making of the movie....

Reading Faerie It's fiction based on history.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Other Boleyn Girl (other topics)