Patricia Cornwell Fans discussion

Scarpetta Books > What to read after Cornwell's Scarpetta series?

Comments (showing 1-21 of 21) (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pitterpatter (new)

Pitterpatter | 7 comments I've finished all of Cornwell's Scarpetta books, which I love. Can anyone recommend a series that exudes the same power and sexual tension as the Scarpetta series?

Unlike many, I really enjoy the technical details that Cornwell puts into her writing. I like that I can see every detail of a scene in my head...that there is nothing for me to imagine. I don't mind that the characters are over-the-top.

Upon searching this site, I came up with Kathy Reichs's Temperance Brennen series. I'm on book four, but they're not really doing it for me.

Thanks so much...I appreciate it!!

-pitterpatter

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 4 comments You might want to try Tess Gerritson. She is a real-life MD and writes medical mystery thrillers. In some of her novels, her protagnoists are Maura Isles who is a pathologist and police detective Jane Rizzoli. Her backdrop for these novels is Boston. The TV show "Rizzoli and Isles" protagnoists are based on these two.

When we discovered Ms. Gerritson, we went out and got as many of her books as we could find!

I hope you enjoy them.

Joanne

message 3: by Ivana (new)

Ivana (IvanaČerny) | 3 comments Tess is ok, interesting, has a nice plot. Try it, maybe you'll like it

message 4: by Pitterpatter (new)

Pitterpatter | 7 comments Thanks, gals! I've actually read a couple of Gerritsen's books. Our library had just a few of hers when I started reading them, so I ended up reading a couple out of sequence. I need to figure out which ones I've read and maybe start again.

Gerritsen does write well. Can't quite put my finger on why I don't enjoy her books as much as Cornwell's. I'm sure it's the characters. Rizzoli annoys me. LOL!

Thanks again for the suggestions!

-pitterpatter

message 5: by Ivana (new)

Ivana (IvanaČerny) | 3 comments @Pittepatter

I too love Cornwell more than any other author, Agatha Christie is another story :)

It's just that Cornwell manages to capture you and no other author will get there, or be able to take her place. Simply said, Corwell is the queen

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Clark | 1 comments I've found it hard to find a good book to read after reading one of hers too. I liked kathy reichs books, altho i think i like the tv show bones better.. just doesn't seem like many books catch me after one of hers i have to switch to a whole new genre of book to be happy.

message 7: by Poppy (new)

Poppy | 9 comments I just started to read the first Jefferson Bass novel. The author is the guy who founded "The Body Farm". I haven't gotten too far yet - about 15% on my Kindle, but it definitely has a lot of the technical details, which you may enjoy. The dialog is a bit forced, it seems, but so far it is interesting. As I've not gone too far into it, I figure it has a long way to get bad, though the reviews on amazon are fairly favorable. He certainly will not be a Patricia Cornwell, the writing style isn't quite so gripping, but so far it is moving along decently .... might be worth trying for yourself. I am posting now without having read too much because otherwise I am sure I would forget.

message 8: by Ami (new)

Ami | 3 comments Mod
I like Karin Slaughters books, particularly the Grant County series. Set in Grant county, Georgia the two main characters are husband and wife, the husband chief of the police department and the wife a ME. There are 6 or 7 in the series, I think. Good dialog, page turning mystery. Although not as much in depth forensic detail as Scarpetta, but still a good read.

message 9: by Pitterpatter (new)

Pitterpatter | 7 comments Thanks again, everyone! I'm trying to get through a Kathy Reichs book right now, but I keep falling asleep after about ten pages. I really need to try something new. Will check into some authors mentioned here.

I appreciate it!

-pitterpatter

message 10: by Sherdnerd (new)

Sherdnerd I, too, like the Karin Slaughter books. She had me hooked by the first chapter of the first book.

I especially like the Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation series by Beverly Connor. This series is also set in Georgia. Diane Fallon is a forensic anthropologist, specializing in crime scene investigations. Interesting stories, intelligent writing.

message 11: by Poppy (new)

Poppy | 9 comments I'm following up on my post. I really enjoyed the first Jefferson Bass book and intend to read more. Cornwell is still my favorite, but this was enjoyable and a promising start to a new series. I've read the first Kathy Reichs book too - I enjoyed it, but it wasn't enough to make me rush out and read any more of them. I do intend to read others, I just wasn't compelled to go right into the next. I know you are aware of them (who isn't?) and perhaps have already read them, but the Stieg Larsson books are also good - not at all similar to Cornwell, but good mysteries. They are certainly powerful with a strong female character, no forensic detail,etc. It is so nice to continue to get good suggestions in the vein of Cornwell since I like her a lot. Oh, another author I've enjoyed is Jonathan Kellerman, if you haven't tried those out. I like his Alex Delaware character a lot.

message 12: by Estelle (new)

Estelle | 4 comments I just finished Stieg Larsson's Millennium Series. Its good, like the way he planted all the turns and climax in the story.

message 13: by Pitterpatter (new)

Pitterpatter | 7 comments Well, I decided to keep with Kathy Reichs. By her third or fourth book, her writing is improved and more enjoyable. I'm getting ready to start Bones to Ashes. Just three more after that, so I'll be back soon to try some of the other authors you all have suggested.

Thanks for your continued responses.

-pitterpatter

message 14: by Pitterpatter (new)

Pitterpatter | 7 comments Bumping. I've finished all of Slaughter and Reichs. LOL! Once again, looking for another well-written series.

By the way, I really enjoyed Karin Slaughter. I'm eagerly awaiting her next book. Thanks for the suggestion! Reichs was ok, but her writing is not near as good as Cornwell or even Slaughter.

message 15: by Anne (last edited Feb 21, 2012 04:32PM) (new)

Anne (AnneCurrin) | 2 comments Lisa Gardner has a series about a female chief of police who becomes involved with a male FBI agent....great reads!!

message 16: by Pitterpatter (new)

Pitterpatter | 7 comments Ooh...thanks! Will check them out for sure.

Anne wrote: "Lisa Gardner has a series about a female chief of police who becomes involved with a male FBI agent....great reads!!"

message 17: by Estelle (new)

Estelle | 4 comments Have anyone finished reading PC's Red Mist?

I havent get to that yet, as I decided to read her Kay Scarpetta's series all over again.

message 18: by Pitterpatter (new)

Pitterpatter | 7 comments Yes. I didn't think it was Cornwell's best. It felt forced. One of those gotta-meet-the-deadline books. The supporting characters were tag-alongs. I was bummed, as I really enjoy the interplay between the characters. I hope her next one is better...a lot better.

Estelle wrote: "Have anyone finished reading PC's Red Mist?

I havent get to that yet, as I decided to read her Kay Scarpetta's series all over again."

message 19: by Anne (new)

Anne (AnneCurrin) | 2 comments Pitterpatter wrote: "Ooh...thanks! Will check them out for sure.

Anne wrote: "Lisa Gardner has a series about a female chief of police who becomes involved with a male FBI agent....great reads!!""

Let me know how you like the series.

message 20: by Estelle (new)

Estelle | 4 comments Pitterpatter wrote: "Yes. I didn't think it was Cornwell's best. It felt forced. One of those gotta-meet-the-deadline books. The supporting characters were tag-alongs. I was bummed, as I really enjoy the interplay betw..."

Thanks for the heads up! The few latest books of Cornwell's, wasnt really good, I just feel that the characters are antagonizing, it drains my energy reading about them.

Dustin Crazy little brown owl (Dustpancrazy) | 22 comments Estelle wrote: "Have anyone finished reading PC's Red Mist?

I havent get to that yet, as I decided to read her Kay Scarpetta's series all over again."

I enjoyed Red Mist and I'm looking forward to another new release :-)

unread topics | mark unread