Between the Lines discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General Book Discussion > what book did you finish?

Comments (showing 151-200 of 1,034) (1034 new)    post a comment »

message 151: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Yesterday, started and today I finished The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger (audio).

message 152: by Shahnaz (new)

Shahnaz | 1 comments Dan wrote: "Finished The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch."

hi would like to know how is it? what is it about?

message 153: by Dan (new)

Dan Porter (ChaoticBuffalo) Shahnaz wrote: "Dan wrote: "Finished The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch."

hi would like to know how is it? what is it about?"

Shahnaz,

At some universities, when a professor is leaving the university, he or she is requested to give a "last lecture" that summarizes what they've learned during their tenure or what they deem important to pass on as they leave. Randy Pausch was a professor who was diagnosed with incurable cancer and was asked to give such a "last lecture." The book doesn't provide his actual last lecture but is an expansion of it and is basically his thoughts on living life to the fullest and pursuing your dreams in everything you do. The actual last lecture that he gave is available online at a website that he provides in the book. I liked the book. He talks about dreams he'd had from the time he was seven or eight that he was able to achieve by always being open to possibilities and always being ready to take advantage of opportunities when they arose.

It's a short, easy read and well worth reading.

Dan

message 154: by Dan (new)

Dan Porter (ChaoticBuffalo) Finally finished Don Quixote. For the last third of the book I was in complete agreement with Don Quixote that Sancho talked way too much. I enjoyed the book and, although a little surprised at the ending, found it ultimately just right.

message 155: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Just finished Garth Nix's Sabriel and unsure what to start now. I don't know what I fancy but I'm pretty excited at choosing.

Another young adult, a Stephen King... or something else? I can't go choose yet though as someone has their blasted TV blaring and choosing a new book requires peace and quiet.

message 156: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) This morning I finally finished The Woman in Black - Susan Hill

message 157: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samjaymc) Fiona wrote: "Just finished Garth Nix's Sabriel and unsure what to start now. I don't know what I fancy but I'm pretty excited at choosing.

Another young adult, a Stephen King... or something else? I can't go ..."

When I choose a book, I pick a few I want to read, place them in a line and play "O-U-T spells OUT" to decide.

message 158: by Emily (new)

Emily Don Quixote has been sitting on my book shelf for a long time. I think I've been putting it off because of how long it is.

message 159: by Dan (new)

Dan Porter (ChaoticBuffalo) Just finished If on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino. Excellent book with very interesting insights into the different kinds of readers and how they relate differently to the same book.

message 160: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (sianin) I just finished The Sister I think it was published under a different title in the UK (perhaps the Lepidopterist??). Anyway, thought it was OK but glad to get onto other books now.

Petra X smokin' hot (HerringFace) I just finished Amitav Ghosh's The Glass Palace and have started Jodi Picoult's Harvesting the Heart. I swore I wouldn't read another Picoult after getting bored with her style. But I swapped the Glass Palace for it and had nothing to read for an hour and a half wait in a restaurant, so I started it, so now I have to read it.

message 162: by Dan (new)

Dan Porter (ChaoticBuffalo) Just finished Demian by Hermann Hesse. Not one of his best or one of his worst but it pulled me along pretty well. Now it's back to Gravity's Rainbow, but I may need another break before I get through the second half of it.

message 163: by Gerald (last edited May 27, 2009 05:08PM) (new)

Gerald Camp (GerryC) I started Gravity's Rainbow 4 times. Last time I got 400 pages into it before I decided I was not having any fun. Many many pages go by with no trace of narrative. What are you finding in the book that keeps you reading?

message 164: by Lisa (new)

Lisa "The Local News" by Miriam Gershow--told from the point of view of the sibling of a missing child. That voice was so very real.

message 165: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I finished Anne of Green Gables. I loved it. It even made me cry a little.

message 166: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) I have just finished Whistleblower - Tess Gerritsen

message 167: by [deleted user] (last edited May 27, 2009 10:49AM) (new)

I just finished Nightrise, LoVED IT!

message 168: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Just finished Postmortem by Patricia Cornwell.

I might read The Last Kabbalist of Lisbon by Richard Zimler as it is a library book.

Petra X smokin' hot (HerringFace) I just finished Jodi Picoult's Harvesting the Heart. A 3.5 star book.

message 170: by Cathyb (new)

Cathyb | 29 comments Just finished The Cying Tree by Naseem Rakha.

A very good book - need to think before I do my review and rating.

message 171: by Dan (new)

Dan Porter (ChaoticBuffalo) Gerald and Richard,

I had Gravity's Rainbow on my desk for two or three years before my most recent attempt at it. I started it several times but never got more than about 50 pages in. This time hasn't been a straight shot through the book. I've read several other books along the way. I think the thing that's kept me going this time is that I haven't tried to 'really understand' everything Pynchon wrote. The overall 'story' seems to be one of a vast conspiracy theory so I let the passages that I don't 'get' right away just settle onto the table of my mind until I can fit them someplace in the bigger puzzle. I do know that Pynchon's mind must be a very strange place to live and that becomes clearer the further you get into the book. Reading Gravity's Rainbow has been like reading a collaboration of Umberto Eco and William Faulkner...maybe The Sound and Fury of Focault's Pendulum. I have less than 200 pages of GR to go so my goal for today is to finish it.

message 172: by Dan (new)

Dan Porter (ChaoticBuffalo) Finished Gravity's Rainbow. Not bad once you get into it and get at least a little used to Pynchon's experimenting. The end was pretty flat given everything that led up to it. Pynchon is obviously intelligent and obviously more than a little warped. It's no wonder he's a recluse. If you read novels for plot, don't bother with GR...it just won't be worth the effort. If you sometimes read for writing style or some sense of the development of the novel as an art form, you might find the time spent worthwhile. If you need some external validation of your own intelligence, just join those who proclaim the book's brilliance whether they've read it or not.

message 173: by Donna (new)

Donna (DFiggz) Finally, Finally, FINALLY I finished Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo. it took some odd months but it was a great book I only took forever because I work full time, go to grad school, have a 13 month old and am 8 months pregnant! I would do papers and school readings when I had time and with the other time (like on the bus or train) I would be sleeping!!!

School's out so I hope to get back on track with my reading!!!

MISS U GUYS!!!

message 174: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Camp (GerryC) Dan,
Good summary of a reading of "Gravity's Rainbow". I congratulate you for sticking it through. As a reader who requires plot or characters and not just experimental style, I think I'll stick with my decision to forget this one. Did you do "Infinite Jest"? That's another one I've decided to skip. I'm 70 and have only finished about 230 of "1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die". Figure I can finish the list by the time I'm 90, but only if I put a few like these at the end of the list.
Gerald

message 175: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) This afternoon, I sat and listened to Jamica Inn - Daphne Du Maurier (audio).

message 176: by Dan (new)

Dan Porter (ChaoticBuffalo) Read The Metamorphosis by Kafka today. Gonna have to think about this one for a while. I may have read it too soon after Gravity's Rainbow to get anything from it...or maybe there's nothing there to get. We shall see.

message 177: by [deleted user] (new)

Banned Books by Robert P. Doyle.

People are so stupid!

message 178: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria | 1 comments I'm struggling to get through Franny and Zooey - Salinger. Still trying to get through Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carrol too..

message 179: by Dan (new)

Dan Porter (ChaoticBuffalo) Richard,

I haven't given up on Kafka. I was just speculating that perhaps I hadn't allowed my mind enough time to flush some of Pynchon out before my first attempt at Kafka. I plan to read more Kafka...but I'm not too sure about more Pynchon at this point.

message 180: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Camp (GerryC) Richard,
Right on! Couldn't have said it better myself. 100 years from now Pynchon will be on a dusty shelf somewhere and Kafka will still be read by intelligent readers througout the world.
Gerald

message 181: by Dan (new)

Dan Porter (ChaoticBuffalo) Read Girls in Their Married Bliss by Edna O'Brien today. Not as good as the first two books in her Country Girls trilogy but it did manage to tie things together by the end.

message 182: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Finished A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly and loved it... may move onto this months' group book next.

Petra X smokin' hot (HerringFace) Finished Women in the City of the Dead. A three-star book elevated to five stars by the last two amazing chapters.

Finished Goodread's author Kit Reeds' The Baby Merchant.

message 184: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (LisaJulianna) I just finished Fool by Christopher Moore. I have to say I got lost in who was which character. This was definatly not one of my favorite books to read.

message 185: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Finally finished Blind Eye - Stuart MacBride.

message 186: by Vicky (new)

Vicky | 62 comments I just finished Christ the Lord; The Road to Cana by Ann Rice.

message 187: by Prettymisslara (new)

Prettymisslara | 52 comments I just finished The Curious Incident of the dog in the Night-time. Good pick for our group read last month. I cannot wait to respond to the discussion. I am now starting The Last Lecture for a local book club in my area. Waiting on East of Eden and The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo to arrive from the library.

message 188: by Dan (new)

Dan Porter (ChaoticBuffalo) Just finished To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf.

message 189: by Kipahni (new)

Kipahni | 45 comments Just finished The book thief- amazing

message 190: by Donna (new)

Donna (DFiggz) I just finished The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold and I was not razy about it. I gave it 2 stars.

Kipahni, I loved The Book Thief as I think everyone could agree!! Glad you enjoyed it too!!!

message 191: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Finished Jessi and the Dance School Phantom - Ann M. Martin

message 192: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (marianslibrary) | 51 comments Just finished, Mudbound. Excellent book!

message 193: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (marianslibrary) | 51 comments Prettymisslara wrote: "I just finished The Curious Incident of the dog in the Night-time. Good pick for our group read last month. I cannot wait to respond to the discussion. I am now starting The Last Lecture for a l..."

I have read, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo & absolutley loved it. It takes a bit to get into it because the author really develops the 3 main characters individually and then brings them all together. It's my bookclub choice for June. The sequel comes out in July, The Girl Who Played With Fire.

message 194: by Elena (new)

Elena I finished The Woman in White. What a wonderful classic of mystery and romance!

message 195: by Lisa (new)

Lisa I just finished "Beautiful Children" on CD. If it had been on book form, I'm not sure I would have finished it. It's very raw, very unpleasant and not what I was expecting at all.

message 196: by Prettymisslara (new)

Prettymisslara | 52 comments Elena I was thinking that I would recommend The Woman in White for our July poll. It is one I have been wanting to read and since lately I am only reading whatever our current selection is I figure this is a good way to get it off my shelf. I am glad to hear you liked it. I tend to lean towards the classics anyways so I imagine I would really enjoy it.

message 197: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Just finished Sexing the Cherry - Jeanette Winterson.

message 198: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veronicay) Elena wrote: "I finished The Woman in White. What a wonderful classic of mystery and romance!
"

I love this, it's one of my favourite books! Have you read The Moonstone? It's equally compelling. Armadale is less well known, but a fascinating read. Lydia Gwilt is a wonderful invention!

message 199: by Emily (new)

Emily I finally finished Tess of the D'Urbervilles! It was pretty depressing.

message 200: by O2 (new)

O2 Finished the Rum Diary, Hunter S. Thompson.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop: A Memoir, a History (other topics)
Hogfather (other topics)
Wyrd Sisters (other topics)
Breaking Dawn (other topics)
New Moon (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Noam Chomsky (other topics)
Cormac McCarthy (other topics)
Elie Wiesel (other topics)
Elizabeth Royte (other topics)
Thomas Keneally (other topics)
More...