Ella Enchanted Ella Enchanted discussion

hollywood ruined the movie

Comments (showing 51-100 of 260) (260 new)    post a comment »

Ineta AMY, you could not said it any better the movie was cute but had nothing to do with the book except for the curse everything they did was so wrong, the actors were good picks but the script SUCKED!!!, it was supposed to be about the absolutely briliant book Ella Enchanted. why does Hollywood do this to use they might as well give these movies different names when they do these adaptions, and they seem to fail whenever they do good book

Ineta Melissa wrote: "I hate the movie. My poor family has had to put up with quite a few rants on the subject. I guess I can list one positive to not having cable anymore-- there's no chance I will accidentally come ac..."

you are exactly right

Juliet SO different from the book, and I loved the book so much more!!!!!!!!!!

Serena Luved Ella Enchanted. Movie messed it up.

Robin Never read the book, saw the movie.

Juliet how did u like it?

Salvatore Dolce don't judge a book by it's movie.

Juliet lol

Rebecca I did enjoy the movie but it took me a long time to enjoy it. When I first saw it I was so upset because I loved the book so much. I feel like the Movie lost a lot of what made the book good (Her inner struggle, the whole romantic lead up, her adventures by herself). I understand that it would be hard to transfer the book into a movie (what made it so good was the subtle lead up). Most moviegoers do not want to have to think so the movie had to be very obvious.

Now though I do like the movie it is a bit cheesy (ok more then a bit...) but it was an okay movie. It is not the book though. It is nothing like it.

Tiffany Honn Elsie wrote: "Hollywood ruined the movie big-time! They hardly followed the storyline at all! I like the book way better."

I could not agree more! I loved the book and they could have done a fantastic job with the movie instead the made it "Disney"...I was so disappointed!

Sierra Ella Enchanted is probably my favorite book of all time. I was heartbroken when the movie came out. Not because the movie was terrible (it was cute as a stand alone), but because it was NOT my beloved Ella Enchanted.

Hannah Elsie wrote: "Hollywood ruined the movie big-time! They hardly followed the storyline at all! I like the book way better."I`m thinking about reading the book, but don`t know if I should. Cause` I watched the movie and I didn`t like it. What books would you compare it to?

Sierra Besides Cinderella itself, I think perhaps The Princess Academy, or The Goose Girl, both of which are written by Shannon Hale.

message 64: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna I totally love Ella Enchanted the movie, it's funny, romantic and it's totally like my life in every way except that I don't obey every order and I don't have a royal boyfriend but everything else...is well totally me. Yes, it's cheesy and yes it's modern but it's heartwarming, romantic and funny...everything I like in a movie.

Lauren Amy wrote: "OH MY GOODNESS YES.
When I first watched the movie after I read the book, and I decided that it was a good movie, I just COULD NOT attach it to the books.
Ella Enchanted is pretty much still my ..."

Amy you totally took the words out of my mouth! I have read the book so many times, and it is my all-time favorite. I was so excited when they said they were going to make a movie but then they butchered it! I agree that they should have titled the movie differently. I can't wait for enough time to go by so they can do a real movie version of the book.

Priscilla I just needed to see the trailer to know that I would hate the movie. Nothing was accurate! And Anne Hathaway's portrayal of Ella was terrible! I read that even Gail Carson Levine disliked the movie. Someone REALLY needs to start making movies that actually follow the book!

Kaykay ugggg yes!! They ruined it! The book is amazing I have read it like 10 times!! Why do they think they NEED to change the story line for a movie?? I mean do they not think the book was good enough to make into a movie or what? They just ruined it! totally ruined it!!!

Priscilla Kaykay wrote: "ugggg yes!! They ruined it! The book is amazing I have read it like 10 times!! Why do they think they NEED to change the story line for a movie?? I mean do they not think the book was good enough ..."
DITTO!!!

Justine I don't even know where to start on that movie. Ella Enchanted wasn't ever so expansive or complicated a novel that someone would have trouble faithfully adapting it in the first place. And the changes they made didn't even make it that good of a movie -- Cary Elwes's character was atrocious, not to mention a criminal waste of Cary Elwes as a an actor. I really wished they had made it a good movie, too, because I did think Anne Hathaway and Hugh Dancy were perfect for Ella and Char, too. Hathaway's self-mocking humor and Dancy's boy-scout personality made them convincing as their characters, even if the rest of the movie had it all wrong.

Jayme I'm so glad I stumbled upon this discussion. Ella Enchanted was my FAVORITE book as a kid, which is saying a lot because I was (and still am) one of those nerds who went through at least a book a day. So when I heard they were making it a movie when I was a teenager,I was so excited. I re-read the book the day before I watched the movie...and literally left the theater in tears. If it hadn't been for the fact that I worked at that particular theater I might've turned into one of those obnoxious people who throw drinks at the incredibly expensive movie screen.

A couple people mentioned that it would've been impossible to make a good movie if they had followed the book properly, because it's mostly in her head. Then I say, WHY DID YOU MAKE IT A MOVIE!?!? They should have just left it alone. The Wish (another favorite) would have made a great movie.

message 71: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate Wilkinson Loved the book, couldn't sit through more than about ten minutes of the movie. :(

message 72: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy I have to disagree with you all! I thought that the movie was just as good as the book! sure, it didn't have the same events, but that doesn't mean it ruined the book. :)

message 73: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna I totally love Ella Enchanted the movie, it's funny, romantic and it's totally like my life in every way except that I don't obey every order and I don't have a royal boyfriend but everything else...is well totally me. Yes, it's cheesy and yes it's modern but it's heartwarming, romantic and funny...everything I like in a movie.

message 74: by Aden (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aden Why Hollywood, Why????? I loved this book and then as I was reading the book I saw the mvie and got so confused but I loved the book. Next time, I don't care how much money you have to spend, but you better write exactly make it like the book or else I will start not watching your movies and einstead watch bollywood movies.

Naomi Some things like that you just have to walk away from and try to forget. It was TOTALLY cheesy when they started singing in the end! I just turned it off. The alternate ending was better.

Lalala*Saredo* They ruined the book my friends all liked the move i was like dude read the book then u will see they changed the whole plotline which sucks. I kind of liked the disney one which included Ann Hathaway after i wacted it like twnety times HOLLYWOOD U SUCK!!!!!!!

Apollinaria Fowl Elsie wrote: "Hollywood ruined the movie big-time! They hardly followed the storyline at all! I like the book way better."

Hollywood ruins everything.

Valerie The movie was cheesy and nothing like the book. I loved the book! It was actual bliss!

Yuseyz i saw rhe movie before i read the book and i liked it but when i read the book i liked it way better. the movie is loosley based on the book so i think of them as two different stories. anyway i love Gail Carson Levine and Fairest would make an awesome movie.

Julie i have never read the book, only watched the movie with ann hathaway as ella enchanted. and that was when I started to to love ann! she was so good acting ella's part!! someone telll me how the book is different form the movie? i loved the movie, and from what i am hearing i will probably love the book more...

Maggie Marconi The only thing I enjoyed about the movie was the soundtrack, which I absolutely adored.

Emmeline I actually quite enjoyed the movie. Yes, they did change it big time, but I thought they made alright. Of course it didn't compare to the book! It never does.

message 83: by Ziyue (last edited Nov 12, 2011 10:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ziyue Yes Hollywood ruined the movie but it was funny and interesting to watch. In the end all the characters in the movie started dancing, it was like high school musical except in the middle ages. And the faerie book talked. I imagined Lucinda a lot mOre different than the one that they put in the movie. And the Char fan club was..... Interesting.

Starburst i agree that the movie and the book were totally different, but I must say, I think the movie was way better. Sorry, people!

Emily I actually loved both the movie and the book. Usually i hate the movie versions but this one was so vastly different from the book that it didn't bother me at all. The only things they had the same were the basic outline of a girl cursed to obey and names. So I just see it as two seperate stories with the same title.

Phoebe Hollywood totally ruined the movie! Ok, so you don't want to follow the story line? Messed up! I loved the book way better because it adds way more detail.

♠Abby♠ i saw the movie first then read the book and i loved the book way better!

message 88: by Amy (last edited Nov 24, 2011 04:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Hey, Naomi, do you like Rapunzel's Revenge? If so, you should see the discussion I started on it, it's called "Too many versions". Oh, and everybody, you're all saying Hollywood ruined the movie Ella Enchanted, what do you mean by that?

Phoebe Amy wrote: "Hey, Naomi, do you like Rapunzel's Revenge? If so, you should see the discussion I started on it, it's called "Too many versions". Oh, and everybody, you're all saying Hollywood ruined the movie El..."

Well if you have read the book then saw the movie you can see that the movie does not even come close to folloeing the story line.

message 90: by Sevania (last edited Nov 25, 2011 11:10AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sevania The movie is nothing like the book, however they had a good reason for changing it. The climax in the book is a fight between Ella's curse and her loyalty to her country- all in her head. That would be very hard to do in a movie. It would probably cause the audience to end up being confused. The climax in the movie, when Ella drops the knife, is a lot easier to watch and understand. I'm not saying the movie is better than the book. I like the book a lot better. I just think Hollywood had a valid reason for changing the story. Also, the movie is not a bad movie- if you have never read the book. A lot of movies are like that that are based off of books. They are good productions, even if they have nothing to do with the story they claim to be about.

Maria Once I saw the preview online, I knew I would never watch it. It was just too different, and I love the book too much.

Just like I'll probably never watch the movie version of "The Little White Horse", I love the book too much. And from the back of DVD, and the fact that they called the movie something different, it would of been too messed up for me. It would have to be almost exactly like the book for me to watch it. Oh, well.

♠Abby♠ there are some books that you just love as books, they don't need to be made to movies.

Lady Bilbo (Nicole) Never read the book, but saw the movie a few years ago and remember it being pretty good.

♠Abby♠ it is, if you don't compare it to the book.

message 95: by Ruby (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ruby I completely agree, Hollywood did an awful job on the movie. The ting is, though, people get really angry when movies aren't faithful to books (including me!), but the movies are based on the book. The directors liked the idea, so they decided to take that idea to make it into a movie. They could change things. But I realllllly hated the movie. And loved the book. SOO much better. What do you think?

Emily Cindy wrote: "I still haven't seen the movie and have no desire to. I could tell from the previews that they didn't stick to the book at all. Just a missed opportunity, because the book was great.

I'd like to s..."

Totally would love to see a film based on that book!

Christine The book was so good, I don't want to watch the movie because usually the book and the movies are a lot apart from each other and I think because the book was so good the movie would just ruin it.

♠Abby♠ it does sadly. i wish someone else besides ann hathaway play the main girl

Renee I wrote: "I hated the movie. Even if I hadn't read the book first, I probably would have still found the movie stupid. I don't understand why they had to change it SO much. In Harry Potter, for example, t..."

After the movie came out I wondered if they would have stuck to the book closer if they had made it an animated film. Animated films are usually geared toward a younger audience, this was not a older teen book so why gear the movie toward this age group?

message 100: by Mia (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mia I saw the movie first because I liked Anne Hathaway, but the movie was just terrible. It was really zany and weird, but not in a funny way. I read the book and couldn't believe how much better it was.

Too bad. It could've been a cool movie.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Ella Enchanted (other topics)