What's The Name of That Book??? discussion

Children's/YA-SOLVED > Teen/YA book, hardcover, no DJ, magenta/fuschia background, girl highlights her own hair, fire [s]

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Snail in Danger (Sid) (last edited Jan 31, 2011 01:09PM) (new)

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 283 comments I read this in the 90s sometime (definitely before 1998). It was probably published during that decade, but it might have been a little earlier.

It was a hardcover, the kind that doesn't have a DJ but instead has the art printed directly on the cover. I think it had a fuschia or magenta background. I think the back blurb might have been designed to look like it was written on notebook paper, an index card, or a legal pad, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

It was about a girl who lives in California. She was a high school student. Maybe a senior?

She highlights her hair despite being forbidden to do so by her parents. Then she gets caught because the highlighting kit used bleach or peroxide and the highlights become very obvious after she spends time in the sun.

Near the end her house is threatened by wildfire. (Or maybe just a normal house fire, but I'm pretty sure it was wildfire.) (view spoiler) She worries about a photo album or scrapbook when she tries to go home and is stopped by a police or fire department cordon.

Ring any bells?

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 283 comments Bumping this one. I came across a mention of the Sweet Dreams series and was reminded of it. I don't think the book I'm trying to find was part of this series, but the concept was maybe kind of similar. If anyone can suggest similar series, that'd be great.

I think one of the characters in the book I'm trying to find was named Brenda.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 283 comments Thanks Brittany, I'll look it over.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 283 comments Bumping this one. I think the main character may have been a photographer, and that the book was possibly told in the first person.

Pretty sure it's not part of the Sweet Dreams series, because those seem to have only been paperbacks. But by the end of the series, the styling was possibly getting similar, at least for the front cover. Example, Weekend Romance. That rang faint bells but isn't it. (Maybe the character in my book was wearing a hat on the cover?)

It might have had a silly title including "love" or "boys" or "boyfriend" that made one of my uncles make fun of me. (Though I realize this is not exactly narrowing the field if it's correct!)

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 283 comments With help from the owner of the site that Brittany linked to (in the form of pointing me to the Especially for Girls series), I think I found it.

The Boy on the Cover by Phoebe Matthews - I'll post back here when I have the book and can confirm. (Somehow my library still has a copy in the system, and it's available as an ebook via Amazon, and I was able to look at snippets from Google Books. Yay!)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1382 comments Snail in Danger (Sid) wrote: "The Boy on the Cover by Phoebe Matthews - I'll post back here when I have the book and can confirm. (Somehow my library still has a copy in the system, and it's available as an ebook via Amazon, and I was able to look at snippets from Google Books. Yay!)"

Thanks! We'll wait for your confirmation. Hoping for you that it's the right book.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 283 comments Going to go ahead and mark this as solved. Though apparently I have conflated two different books.

The Boy on the Cover is fuschia, has the hair-bleaching scene, and a best friend named Belinda. But the back that looks like a note card and the fire scene apparently come from something else ... if I can't find it I will probably make another thread. Thanks again to Brittany, whose pointer was extremely helpful.

Brittany (weareattached) | 69 comments Glad you found at least half of your puzzle :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Weekend Romance (other topics)
That Boy on the Cover (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Phoebe Matthews (other topics)