Graywolf Press discussion

Weekend Reads > Weekend Reads 1/28/11

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marisa, Moderator (last edited Jan 28, 2011 07:46AM) (new)

Marisa Atkinson (totesmarisa) | 244 comments Mod
Happy Friday, everyone!

This weekend, I'm reading The Uncoupling by Meg Wolitzer, which a coworker picked up at Winter Institute and was kind enough to loan me. I also have a big bookstore order on its way to me, including The Fates Will Find Their Way by Hannah Pittard, The Adults by Alison Espach, Use Me by Elissa Schappell, and Drinking Closer to Home by Jessica Anya Blau. What to read first?

What about you?

message 2: by Sara (new)

Sara Habein (sara_habein) | 26 comments I have Drinking Closer to Home sitting in my 'to-read' pile, but I made the 'mistake' of visiting the library and wandering around after my son attended storytime. Instead of making progress on my ten book pile, I instead came home with two long books -- C by Tom McCarthy and The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell. As I only have 2 weeks with these books, I hope I can move through them quickly so I don't have to recheck.

Both were on my 'mean to read, but don't know when' list and I happened to see them sitting on the new books shelf. Hard to resist!

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara Habein (sara_habein) | 26 comments Also, I'm working on Electric Literature Vol. 1, but it's a pretty slim volume, so I imagine I'll finish it this weekend.

message 4: by Marisa, Moderator (new)

Sara, I downloaded the first three Electric Lit collections on my Kindle and have been bopping back and forth among the stories. So far I feel like they are really strong and varied collections.

Did you read Jessica Anya Blau's first novel, The Summer of Naked Swim Parties ? I loved that one.

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara Habein (sara_habein) | 26 comments I haven't read her other, no. Sounds good though.

I bought the paperback of EL #1 because I am a dino in that way. I still buy CDs, even.

message 6: by Marisa, Moderator (new)

I didn't know you could get print editions of Electric Lit! I would have bought the print edition myself had I known...Good to know for future issues!

message 7: by Sara (new)

Sara Habein (sara_habein) | 26 comments The cover of the latest edition is quite amusing.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Drinking Closer to Home (other topics)
The Adults (other topics)
The Fates Will Find Their Way (other topics)
The Uncoupling (other topics)
Use Me (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Hannah Pittard (other topics)
Jessica Anya Blau (other topics)
Alison Espach (other topics)
Elissa Schappell (other topics)
Meg Wolitzer (other topics)