Future Survivors, the Apocalypse Group discussion

Other Genres > Your Personal Favorites

Comments (showing 1-19 of 19) (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ash E. For discussing books that don't fall into the dystopian/apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic genres, since there are so many wonderful books under other classifications!

Ash E. Some of my personal favorites:
Harry Potter Boxset (Harry Potter, #1-7) by J.K. Rowling Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride, #1) by James Patterson School's Out - Forever (Maximum Ride, #2) by James Patterson Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports (Maximum Ride, #3) by James Patterson The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1) by Shannon Hale Enna Burning (The Books of Bayern, #2) by Shannon Hale River Secrets (The Books of Bayern, #3) by Shannon Hale Princess Academy by Shannon Hale The Waterless Sea (Chanters of Tremaris, #2) by Kate Constable The Tenth Power (Chanters of Tremaris, #3) by Kate Constable The Singer of All Songs (Chanters of Tremaris Trilogy, #1) by Kate Constable Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1) by Orson Scott Card The Prophecy of the Stones by Flavia Bujor

Misti Loved Ender's Game, would like to read others in that series. And I just read half of the first Maximum Ride Book in the series.

Otherwise the other books I would mention are:

The Gemma Doyle Series by Libba Bray
A Great and Terrible Beauty (heard they were making a movie too)
Rebel Angels
The Sweet Far Thing

The Study Series by Maria V. Snyder
Poison Study
Magic Study
Fire Study

The Glass Series also by Maria V. Snyder
Storm Glass
Sea Glass
Spy Glass

Insider Series also by Maria V. Snyder
Inside Out
Outside In

Those are my favorite Off Topic books!

message 5: by Veronika (last edited Aug 03, 2011 12:43PM) (new)

Veronika | 16 comments My favorite off topic books are:

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
Derby Girl by Shauna Cross Derby Girl/Whip It by Shauna Cross
The Vinyl Princess by Yvonne Prinz The Vinyl Princess by Yvonne Prinz
The Heather Wells Series by Meg Cabot: Size 12 Is Not Fat (Heather Wells, #1) by Meg Cabot, Size 14 Is Not Fat Either (Heather Wells, #2) by Meg Cabot, and Big Boned (Heather Wells, #3) by Meg Cabot
Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson & Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
.....and I haven't finished it yet, but I think Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs will become a favorite of mine too!

message 7: by L (last edited Aug 04, 2011 02:41AM) (new)

L 1 De Vluchtrivier by André Boesberg 2 Molly Moon's Incredible Book of Hypnotism (Molly Moon) by Georgia Byng 3 Het midden van de wereld by Andreas Steinhöfel 4 Airman by Eoin Colfer 5 The Luxe (Luxe, #1) by Anna Godbersen 6 Een goed jaar voor de rozen by Ben Crom
These books don't have much in common.
1&6 are very unknown and historical. 5 is also historical, but less serious and more gossip girl like. 2 is a complex childrens book, just nostalgia. 3 is for YA and older, translated from German. 4 is steampunk.

John (coolbluesaxx) | 3 comments love the Ender's Series, gets a little foggy as you get deeper in. Ender's Shadow is damn good reading too. I'm gonna have to check out Maria V. Snyder. Thanks.

John (coolbluesaxx) | 3 comments Mike wrote: "A random collection of books I've enjoyed over the years.

Gardens of the Moon

The First Man in Rome

It

Dune

Hyperion

[book:T..."

Slaughterhouse-five, my favorite novel of alltime, read it in 7th grade and it changed my life. Catch-22 and Dune - cheers!

message 10: by Patrick (last edited Aug 21, 2011 07:11PM) (new)

Patrick | 9 comments My favorites not in any particular order:
Where the Red Fern Grows (kids book but still...)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Blood Meridian
Have A Nice Day! by Mick Foley
Catch-22
The Dark Tower Series
The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings series
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series

Joshua Lawrence Perez (jlbp96) | 3 comments Of course, The Hunger Games
Pippi Longstocking (children's book and still amazing...)
Hush, Hush series
Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series
Airhead series
Divergent
Blue Bloods series

:D

Ruthie | 3 comments The Hunger games
The Last Song
Trial by Journal( even though a childs book still very good)
The tale of two bad mice
Discarded Heros( the series)
And any Nicholas Sparks books

Janie McMahan | 11 comments The hunger games, the uglies series, blood red road, the maze runner series, hush hush series, breaking dawn, the forest of hands and teeth, unearthly(still reading it but love love love it so far), divergent, matched, oh gosh I could go on and on, but it all boils down to the fact that I became obsessed with the video game fallout, and it made me want to find anything post-apocalyptic I could, and that's when I found the hunger games. Nothing else has even come close since then to being my favorite book. Blood red road is amazing though, definitely a must read if you are a hunger games fan.

Johnny Stone Hey, everyone. Just found this group, and post-apocalyptic as always been a favorite genera of mine. My taste tend to gravitate to the traditional WW III scenario, although I have been following the ‘The Walking Dead’ series on AMC lately. Some older suggestions for books, not zombies or anything, are the following:

The Doomsday Warrior Series by Ryder Stacy
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14...

The Survivalist by Jerry Ahern
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17...

Out of the Ashes, The Ashes sereis, by William W. JOhnstone
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17...

They're kind of 'pulp' in a way and older releases, but good if you are into this sort of thing.

I'm also a published author in the 'explicit'erotica field, but I've been itching to write a P.A. book for some time. Kind of next on my list of things to do in the near future.

Christina (EricaJae) | 3 comments My favorite is and always will be the Hunger Games:)
Not only did it introduce me to the genre, but it's by far the best and most creative by my standards.

Melissa (TheBibliophilicCat) (TheBibliophilicCat) | 22 comments One of favorite trilogies of all time is The Seventh World Trilogy by Rachel Starr Thomson: Worlds Unseen, Burning Light, and Coming Day. This trilogy has Christian themes, which is what made me love it even more, and has a beautifully described world.

I also loved The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. A short read with deep meaning.

Cameron (Ckd18) | 3 comments they are all series

message 19: by Karen (last edited Aug 16, 2012 10:39PM) (new)

Karen Jaq wrote: "So many wonderful books...

My old favourite is the Darkover series by Marion Zimmer Bradley, which pre-date her The Mists of Avalon.

Some of the best books in the series include;
Hawkmistress!
St..."

All of those are some of my favs too!

Future Survivors, the Apocalypse Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports (other topics)
The Singer of All Songs (other topics)
Princess Academy (other topics)
School's Out—Forever (other topics)
River Secrets (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Rachel Starr Thomson (other topics)
Paulo Coelho (other topics)