Q&A with Josh Lanyon discussion

Story Discussions > The Adrien English series

Comments (showing 251-300 of 3,421) (3421 new)    post a comment »

message 251: by Merith (new)

Merith | 373 comments Cleon wrote: "Also I see Jake unfaithfulness stemmed from his self-hatred. Once, he got over that in Dark Tide, I can see him truly faithful to Adrien, esp after he almost lost him. So, for me HEA is possible. "

Isn't it funny how readers can have such different takes about a situation? See, I never thought Jake was unfaithful to Adrien at all. If I thought of Jake as being unfaithful to anyone, it would have been Kate, who didn't know anything about what Jake was up to. At least Adrien had the benefit of knowing he couldn't have all of Jake's attention upfront.

I also never thought of Jake as an asshole for doing that, knowing that he wasn't where he needed to be for Adrien regardless of the situation. I thought some of Jake's behaviors were harsh, but I could understand them (and Dark Tide explained some that I didn't understand).

message 252: by Kari (new)

Kari Gregg (KariGregg) | 1938 comments Josh wrote: "When I say implausible, I just mean for me or for a story I could concoct.

Oh, you concocted one all right, at least for a scene...Vintage Affair, wasn't it?...It's just that your readers wanted to heinously beat you for it. As I recall, I was one of them. Girl cooties? *GASP* ;-)

Anyway, don't worry about it. Think it was the wrong side of 2am when I posted that last night, was just being ornery. *snerk*

message 253: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 238 comments I never thought Jake unfaithful to Adrien, either. Their relationship was often not healthy for either of them, especially Adrien, but Jake never hid the fact that he was also dating Kate. His affair with Paul was pretty impersonal and was discontinued when he started seeing Adrien regularly. I always thought that Jake picking that affair up again and trying to make more of a relationship out of it was a direct result of missing Adrien so much. I think he felt guilty for the way he had treated Adrien and was trying not to repeat the same mistakes, and also missed having a relationship with another man. I saw it as Jake trying to grow, just unfortunately in the wrong direction. I do agree he was unfaithful to Kate. Her perspective on things would be a very interesting read. I know my heart broke for her in A Dark Tide when Adrien and Jake finally got together and A was thinking about how poor Kate was going to have to go on without Jake. Maybe a future J&A story will mention in passing that she found a former US Olympic swimmer with a great body, sparkling green eyes (because green eyes are a sign that your potential romance hero is THE ONE) and a crushing desire for strong, red-headed women to sweep her off her feet.

message 254: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 238 comments Kari wrote: "Josh wrote: "When I say implausible, I just mean for me or for a story I could concoct.

Oh, you concocted one all right, at least for a scene...Vintage Affair, wasn't it?...It's just that your rea..."

You know, I was so excited when I heard there was a threesome in A Vintage Affair, then I almost cried when I read the blurb and saw one of the participants was female. OK, I exaggerate about the crying, but it did give me pause. I still bought it and should be getting to it pretty soon, girl cooties and all.

message 255: by Minne (new)

Minne | 57 comments it is very good - and the threesome has a purpose - a short novella - which is richer,more complicated/complex and as always wonderfully written as many a full lenght novel.

message 256: by Calathea (new)

Calathea | 0 comments Merith wrote: "Isn't it funny how readers can have such different takes about a situation? See, I never thought Jake was unfaithful to Adrien at all. If I thought of Jake as being unfaithful to anyone, it would have been Kate, who didn't know anything about what Jake was up to. "

I thought the same. Jake even married her and later started this thing with Paul. I don't want to put myself in her shoes, even if it's only imagination.

message 257: by Calathea (new)

Calathea | 0 comments Cheryl wrote: "Her perspective on things would be a very interesting read. I know my heart broke for her in A Dark Tide when Adrien and Jake finally got together and A was thinking about how poor Kate was going to have to go on without Jake. Maybe a future J&A story will mention in passing that she found a former US Olympic swimmer with a great body, sparkling green eyes (because green eyes are a sign that your potential romance hero is THE ONE) and a crushing desire for strong, red-headed women to sweep her off her feet. "

I only thought about Kate's POV when I'd read the books for the third or fourth time. If the story of their relationship had been written from Kate's POV I think Jake would be the villain in the story and face some major hatred.

I like your idea to give Kate her own Olympic swimmer with green eyes. :-)

message 258: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 15491 comments Kari wrote: "Josh wrote: "When I say implausible, I just mean for me or for a story I could concoct.

Oh, you concocted one all right, at least for a scene...Vintage Affair, wasn't it?...It's just that your rea..."

I think of that as the anti-menage scene. It doesn't work well for anyone involved really, although it's a pivotal moment in the story. And certainly the moment a lot of readers can't forgive. ;-D

message 259: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 15491 comments Merith wrote: "Cleon wrote: "Also I see Jake unfaithfulness stemmed from his self-hatred. Once, he got over that in Dark Tide, I can see him truly faithful to Adrien, esp after he almost lost him. So, for me HEA ..."

Exactly. Does the reader still view a character's actions as infidelity when they are not an infidel to the POV character? ;-) It probably varies.

Is Jake a bastard sometimes to people he does genuinely care about? Yep.

Should he go on paying for the rest of his life? I think that starts to get into the hang ups and past histories of individual readers. Every reader brings their own baggage to each and every book -- starting with Peter Rabbit and his light-fingered tendencies.

message 260: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 15491 comments Cheryl wrote: "I never thought Jake unfaithful to Adrien, either. Their relationship was often not healthy for either of them, especially Adrien, but Jake never hid the fact that he was also dating Kate. His affa..."

:-D I like that. Kate certainly deserves a happy ending.

message 261: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 15491 comments You know, I was so excited when I heard there was a threesome in A Vintage Affair, then I almost cried when I read the blurb and saw one of the participants was female. OK, I exaggerate about the crying, but it did give me pause. I still bought it and should be getting to it pretty soon, girl cooties and all.

That's a book I have trouble recommending because the responses to it vary so widely and emotionally.

Emanuela ~plastic duck~ (manutwo) | 1858 comments Josh wrote: "I think of that as the anti-menage scene. It doesn't work well for anyone involved really, although it's a pivotal moment in the story. And certainly the moment a lot of readers can't forgive. ;-D"

I think I never felt so uncomfortable while reading a scene. It made me really want to cry, I almost felt sick. The girl was ... oblivious to what was going on? Austin was violated in my opinion and Jeff... Jeff... mmmm, why why why what was he trying to prove? Soooooo, I could rant about it for weeks. My temperature rises just thinking about it. Was that how I was supposed to feel as a reader? Mission accomplished, lol

message 263: by Josh (last edited Jun 09, 2011 08:23AM) (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 15491 comments Was that how I was supposed to feel as a reader? Mission accomplished, lol

I can honestly say that I've never deliberately set out to shock or upset a reader. At the most, I just like to...maybe push at certain assumptions? Explore certain dynamics? Sometimes a writer chooses a story because the writer wants to probe and explore and writing is how we do that. It's pretty much how we do everything. Sometimes the reader is an unlucky passenger on that flight.

I knew readers would be unhappy with parts of AVA but the outrage in some quarters did take me aback.

At least it cannot, by any stretch, be considered infidelity.

Emanuela ~plastic duck~ (manutwo) | 1858 comments It was an uncomfortable scene, but I was glad I read it, probably I'll re-read it in a while. I was amazed at how that scene opened up all my emotions, I wanted to detach myself and I couldn't.

message 265: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) Josh wrote: "Exactly. Does the reader still view a character's actions as infidelity when they are not an infidel to the POV character?"

I was wondering about the infidelity question myself as I read through the links posted yesterday. You've got it right more or less - at least for me. While I was bothered by the fact that Jake was being unfaithful to Kate (I put myself in her shoes and felt so bad for her), it didn't bother me that there was still infidelity in the Adrien English mysteries because I never saw Jake was being unfaithful to Adrien himself.

Josh wrote: "Should he go on paying for the rest of his life? I think that starts to get into the hang ups and past histories of individual readers. Every reader brings their own baggage to each and every book -- starting with Peter Rabbit and his light-fingered tendencies."

This is a very good point.

Like Emanuela, "I try to treat characters in romance with tolerance and understanding like I do people in real life. It doesn't mean I condone every behavior, but I try to put myself in their shoes. I hope when I screw up someone will forgive me."

message 266: by Kari (new)

Kari Gregg (KariGregg) | 1938 comments Oh, hell, I just had to bring it up, didn't I? LOL

message 267: by Charming (new)

Charming (charming_euphemism) Josh wrote: "Does the reader still view a character's actions as infidelity when they are not an infidel to the POV character? ;-) It probably varies.

Is Jake a bastard sometimes to people he does genuinely care about? Yep.

Should he go on paying for the rest of his life? I think that starts to get into the hang ups and past histories of individual readers. Every reader brings their own baggage to each and every book -- starting with Peter Rabbit and his light-fingered tendencies. "

I always felt bad for Kate. She was the only one who had no choice in the dynamic. But IMO Jake paid for his bad behavior - he can be happy now.

I was sad for Adrien losing Jake to Kate, but he knew what he was getting into. When I thought Jake was having a real affair with Paul, I felt like throwing up, though.

message 268: by Merith (new)

Merith | 373 comments Charming wrote: "When I thought Jake was having a real affair with Paul, I felt like throwing up, though. "

Me too, because I hated Paul more than I disliked smarmy Uh... Guy.

message 269: by Beanbag (last edited Jun 10, 2011 09:44AM) (new)

Beanbag Love I agree with most that I didn't really feel Jake was being unfaithful to Adrien. Also I agree that he was being unfaithful to Kate. The time it really bugged me was when Adrien asked Jake what Kate was like and he smiled and said "she's a tiger." Because he obviously cared for her but he was cheating on her anyway (and she had no idea at all).

Anyway, I thought that scene in Dark Tide where Adrien shows up on Kate's move-out day was a good indicator that Jake isn't just okay with what he did to her. And I don't think, even though he'll be happy to finally commit to Adrien, that he's going to stop feeling guilty about it. If Kate does marry the Olympic swimmer with green eyes ;D (and he's hopelessly devoted to her), then that will be good for Jake and Adrien as well.

As for Paul. It was when he said he and Jake had been lovers for five years -- giving Adrien the wrong impression of what actually was happening -- that I wanted to throw up. I didn't know what to believe until Jake's reaction to hearing about that. Still, what a moment. :p

I actually did like Guy, though. He was a bit silly -- I love how Josh has fun with academics. Having spent my time in academia, he's spot on and makes me LOL often.

Anyway, this series put me through the emotional wringer. I've recommended it to many people but I feel like I should be warning them that they will, at certain points, feel like they've been stabbed. But that's what makes the ending so sweet. :)

message 270: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 15491 comments I feel like I should be warning them that they will, at certain points, feel like they've been stabbed.

I have to say this made me laugh out loud.

message 271: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 238 comments At work today, I kept thinking about how I really want to read Kate's HEA. We've haven't really met her, but I already like her. She's the perfect romance heroine: fiery redhead, pretty, strong, and has a hurtful relationship in her past that makes it hard for her to trust men. I'm sure she's also going to think every guy she meets is a closeted homosexual. She's going to need a strong man who won't be intimidated by her career, is patient, trustworthy, and very secure and open in his sexuality. I rarely want to read het romances, but I'd buy this book in a second. It would open up a new readership for Josh, and I bet some of those brave readers would be willing to explore the AE series for a little more backstory.

Please?

message 272: by Merith (new)

Merith | 373 comments Cheryl wrote: "At work today, I kept thinking about how I really want to read Kate's HEA. We've haven't really met her, but I already like her. She's the perfect romance heroine: fiery redhead, pretty, strong, a..."

I think I'd be happy with a side plot in that future Adrien and Jake story (Christmas 2012, right?) Where enough time has past that she's in a much better place and can forgive Jake his transgressions because she's found where she really wanted to be.

message 273: by John (new)

John (Arkbear) | 327 comments Merith wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "At work today, I kept thinking about how I really want to read Kate's HEA. We've haven't really met her, but I already like her. She's the perfect romance heroine: fiery redhead, pr..."

Ya think Jake would be a bit off-put if she turned up on Oxford St Christmas shopping with her girlfriend?

message 274: by Beanbag (new)

Beanbag Love Josh wrote: "I feel like I should be warning them that they will, at certain points, feel like they've been stabbed.

I have to say this made me laugh out loud."

Cackles the man holding the bloody dagger. ;-)

message 275: by Bookwatcher (new)

Bookwatcher  (BookWatcher) | 41 comments I just want to say I recently read all Adrien English serie and LOVE all!
I'm so GLAD a HUGE friend of mine recommend it! Emanuela ~Zstyx~ THANK YOU!
And THANK YOU Josh Lanyon! Yours books were so great! I had a GREAT time reading this serie and can't wait to read more!!!!

message 276: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 15491 comments Thank you, Boookwatcher. Glad you enjoyed them!

message 277: by Cleon (new)

Cleon Lee (CleonLee) | 2315 comments Bookwatcher wrote: "I just want to say I recently read all Adrien English serie and LOVE all!
And THANK YOU Josh Lanyon! Yours books were so..."

You guys should see her reviews! So cute and funny! And I can't over the "I can haz love? NO" pic! :D

message 278: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 15491 comments And I can't over the "I can haz love? NO" pic! :D

Even without seeing the picture, that makes me smile.

message 279: by Cleon (new)

Cleon Lee (CleonLee) | 2315 comments Josh wrote: "And I can't over the "I can haz love? NO" pic! :D

Even without seeing the picture, that makes me smile."

Josh, you really really should see the review & pic. The review is more a comical summary of the book than opinion anyway. lol. The dog is soo... Jake in the Dark Tide. LMAO.

message 280: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 15491 comments Cleon wrote: "Josh wrote: "And I can't over the "I can haz love? NO" pic! :D

Josh, you really really should see the review & pic. The review is more a com..."

Ah! I can't have you guys all giggling about the Jake dog and me not knowing what you're talking about. Where is it?

message 281: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 15491 comments Cheryl wrote: "At work today, I kept thinking about how I really want to read Kate's HEA. We've haven't really met her, but I already like her. She's the perfect romance heroine: fiery redhead, pretty, strong, a...SNIP...Please?"

It's certainly an original idea. No promises but I'll tuck it away in the AE file. (Yes, I still keep an AE file.)

message 282: by Beanbag (new)

Beanbag Love Josh wrote: "Ah! I can't have you guys all giggling about the Jake dog and me not knowing what you're talking about. Where is it? "

It's in Bookwatcher's review of Death of a Pirate King.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Pretty great.

message 283: by Bookwatcher (last edited Jun 13, 2011 09:56PM) (new)

Bookwatcher  (BookWatcher) | 41 comments Cleon wrote: "Bookwatcher wrote: "I just want to say I recently read all Adrien English serie and LOVE all!
And THANK YOU Josh Lanyon!..."

:-p
This pic Cleon love so much :-p
Tha sad doggie is Jake :-p in The Dark Tide (Adrien English Mystery, #5) by Josh Lanyon
When she told me that I didn't knew why, now after I read The Dark Tide I must admit she is right!!!! He is Jake! :-p

Thanks Beanbag, I'm glad you like my review
:-)

message 284: by Cleon (new)

Cleon Lee (CleonLee) | 2315 comments Bookwatcher wrote: "Cleon wrote: "Bookwatcher wrote: "I just want to say I recently read all Adrien English serie and LOVE all!
And THANK YO..."

:D Your reviews and pics are the best, Bookwatcher! I almost had a heart attack when I saw your Mark Alder's review.

No, DONT post that pic here. Auggghhhh...

Emanuela ~plastic duck~ (manutwo) | 1858 comments Bookwatcher wrote: "I just want to say I recently read all Adrien English serie and LOVE all!
And THANK YOU Josh Lanyon! Yours books were so..."

I'm glad I gave you a new addiction ;-P

message 286: by Bookwatcher (last edited Jun 14, 2011 03:55AM) (new)

Bookwatcher  (BookWatcher) | 41 comments @Cleon: it's my way to tell other readers what I like (or not) reading a book. My English is very poor, so my alternative is add figures to distract everyone :D so no one will see all my grammar problems. If you want a perfect written (full of passion too!) reviews I recommend ALL Emanuela's reviews. Her reviews are amazing :-)

@Manu: yep, you are such bad (in a good way, hahahahaha) influence! But let's rephrase it... you didn't recommend Adrien English serie... your words were "read it or I will kick your ass". Kinky...
:-D

BTW i forgot to say something about The Dark Tide... Mel... OMG!!!!!!!!!! I want to hurt him... poor Adrien :-( but well, luck Jake! :D I'm glad Mel was such asshole

message 287: by Cleon (new)

Cleon Lee (CleonLee) | 2315 comments Bookwatcher wrote: "@Cleon: it's my way to tell other readers what I like (or not) reading a book. My English is very poor, so my alternative is add figures to distract everyone :D so no one will see all my grammar pr..."

Your English is not poor at all! But I love love your pic, including that last smilies. lol.

message 288: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 15491 comments I laughed my way all through your "review." Loved the key elements you picked out and I loved your photos. I thought the Lisa photo was great and the last one and the Jake one. Well, just very funny and clever.

message 289: by Bookwatcher (new)

Bookwatcher  (BookWatcher) | 41 comments @Cleon: yeah the smile hitting Mel was perfect... give me a chair and you will see what I can do to Mel
:-P
I'm glad you had fun with my reviews Cleon

@Josh: thanks. I think me "reviews" are very simple. Just my emotions using images, because well it's the only way I can really tell other reader what was my ideas. Like Adrien, a loser, and Jake... book 1&2 "review". It was my ideas, reading those books, so I search images to mirror that and well, add two words

Emanuela ~plastic duck~ (manutwo) | 1858 comments Your reviews are very passionate, Ca! :-) And we love animalz!

I wasn't on GR when I read the books, so I just rated them. And pimped them ;-) I'll write something when I re-read them this summer.

message 291: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) Cleon wrote: "Josh wrote: "And I can't over the "I can haz love? NO" pic! :D

Josh, you really really should see the review & pic. The review is more a com..."

Definitely love that pic of Jake the dog. I really enjoyed the review when it popped up on my Feed (someone in my Friends liked it), and I enjoyed it again just now. :)

message 292: by Bookwatcher (new)

Bookwatcher  (BookWatcher) | 41 comments @Manu: yes you should write because as I said your reviews are always amazing. You have talent :-) and I really like your reviews, all of them

@Niquae: thanks :-)
Jake the dog is a success :D
I still prefer the creepy cat guessing the future :D It's in the same review with Jake the dog :D because I was so damn curious about the last book of the serie! And well, I'm glad creepy cat didn't guess right, the end of the world in an Adrien English serie would be not fair to Adrien... (view spoiler)

message 293: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 15491 comments LOL

message 294: by ❂ Endless (new)

❂ Endless (Ouroborus) | 2 comments ...Bookwatcher's reviews are the most fabulously entertaining reviews i've found on GR so far! She's too modest!

@Josh - so...you don't get around to reading all the reviews ppl post for your books here at GR?

message 295: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 15491 comments I do if someone points a review out to me and asks me to take a peek!

message 296: by Liade (new)

Liade | 408 comments Calathea wrote: "I only thought about Kate's POV when I'd read the books for the third or fourth time. If the story of their relationship had been written from Kate's POV I think Jake would be the villain in the story and face some major hatred..."

I don't know when you read the books, but after THYS and before DOAPK came out, Jake was actually considered the villain in the story and faced some really major hatred *g*.

And he was obviously aware of it, too ;)

message 297: by Calathea (new)

Calathea | 0 comments Liade wrote: "I don't know when you read the books, but after THYS and before DOAPK came out, Jake was actually considered the villain in the story and faced some really major hatred *g*.

And he was obviously aware of it, too ;) "

Hm, maybe I'm too concentrated on Adrien when reading it? It's always Adrien I remember, not Jake. Don't know why. But maybe that's the reason I don't pick up on "subtleties". ;-)

It might be time to re-read the whole thing (haven't done that for at least, say, three months^^) and this time try to focus more on the other characters.
(but not before I'm done with CUTYS) :-)

Thanks for reminding me of the interview! I've read it a while ago but forgot where I found it.

message 298: by Liade (new)

Liade | 408 comments Calathea wrote: "Thanks for reminding me of the interview! I've read it a while ago but forgot where I found it...."

Links (including the one with Adrien) on Wikipedia, of course :)

message 299: by Becky (new)

Becky (Fibrobabe) | 1271 comments Liade wrote: "Calathea wrote: "I only thought about Kate's POV when I'd read the books for the third or fourth time. If the story of their relationship had been written from Kate's POV I think Jake would be the ..."

This series is a perfect example of how an author can use POV and the question "whose story is this, anyway?" to their advantage. I never really hated Jake, although sometimes I was angry with him, and sometimes he hurt my heart. Adrien loved him, and we saw the whole thing through Adrien's eyes, so I loved him, too.

If at any point in the story we'd been given Kate's POV, Jake really would have been the villain, messing with the hearts and lives of two good people. If it had wholly been in Kate's POV, Adrien would have been the villain, too, maybe even more than Jake. It's always easier to hate the other woman (man) than it is to acknowledge that we've made a poor choice in who to love, or that they were never who we thought they were.

But the series isn't about Kate. It's about Adrien and about Adrien and Jake's journey together. Adrien's 1st person POV supports that in a way that others would not.

(Sorry about the POV tangent. I read a story last week that way great until the last 20% or so, and then the author pancaked the landing. I couldn't figure out why the end was so unsatisfying, until I realized that it was in the wrong POV. The whole story was told in 1st person, but it wasn't really the POV character's story. It was the boyfriend's story. He was the one who grew the most through the book; he was the one with the most at stake in the story. So the break up and reconciliation, which was so significant for the boyfriend, was just kind of random and painful for the POV character. And the POV character spent the whole book responding to the actions of others instead of making choices and acting himself. It was frustrating, because even with the meh ending it was a pretty good book. With a stronger ending it could have been really excellent.)

message 300: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 15491 comments Becky wrote: "Liade wrote: "Calathea wrote: "I only thought about Kate's POV when I'd read the books for the third or fourth time. If the story of their relationship had been written from Kate's POV I think Jake..."

That's a great observation on POV.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Adrien English Mysteries: Fatal Shadows and A Dangerous Thing (other topics)
What Rough Beast (other topics)
The Charioteer (other topics)
NonConsensual Love (other topics)
The Dark Tide (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Josh Lanyon (other topics)