Q&A with Josh Lanyon discussion

Story Discussions > The Adrien English series

Comments (showing 3066-3115)    post a comment »

message 3115: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 13792 comments Na wrote: "Ame wrote: "Exactly! Slight, delicate.... like a beautiful, intricate and fragile marble statue that looks like it could easily break into pieces but is actually one of rock hard and strong substan..."

:-D

message 3114: by Na (new)

Na | 66 comments Ame wrote: "Exactly! Slight, delicate.... like a beautiful, intricate and fragile marble statue that looks like it could easily break into pieces but is actually one of rock hard and strong substance."

Yes, when I picture some of your main characters Josh I think of a glass. Perhaps it is influenced by your own picture, but it suits them. A hard shell, yet fragile.

Johanna | 7515 comments Popcorn wrote: "This is how I see Jake and Adrien...*swoon*...."

I love this, Popcorn. :-)

Johanna | 7515 comments Kathleen wrote: "My Adrien English...

Am I allowed to post an image???"

I don't think nobody objects to pictures of handsome, Adrien-looking men. ;-)

message 3111: by Alison (last edited Sep 11, 2014 10:11PM) (new)

Alison | 1313 comments I don't really get a very specific image of characters when I read, like others have said. I know what they look like, but at the same time I don't. Montgomery Clift is a good placeholder for Adrien. I had a funny moment sometime last year. I was watching From Here to Eternity, which Montgomery Clift is in (and he's so beautiful in that one), and so I can't help but think of Adrien. And he gets to know this lovely and handsome big blond officer, and you guessed it, my brain thinks of Jake. I had to laugh at myself when that popped up. Not that Burt Lancaster usually makes me think of Jake, but it was all in the context. And they do have some lovely moments together. So now my Adrien and Jake movie will always be From Here to Eternity.

message 3110: by Susan (new)

Susan | 482 comments Carlita wrote: "I love Matt Bomer. He could a second choice for me. :-)"

Yes, again. :)

message 3109: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 13792 comments Ame wrote: "Josh wrote: "Ame wrote: "I always see Adrien as more delicate and vulnerable (maybe not the correct word but I'm struggling with finding the correct words) with tremendous hidden strength that peo..."

I think that explains it pretty well!

message 3108: by Ame (last edited Sep 11, 2014 08:11AM) (new)

Ame | 602 comments Josh wrote: "Ame wrote: "I always see Adrien as more delicate and vulnerable (maybe not the correct word but I'm struggling with finding the correct words) with tremendous hidden strength that people maybe don..."

Exactly! Slight, delicate.... like a beautiful, intricate and fragile marble statue that looks like it could easily break into pieces but is actually one of rock hard and strong substance.

I can explain this so much better in my own language :D

Johanna | 7515 comments Anne wrote: "Ame wrote: "I always see Adrien as more delicate and vulnerable (maybe not the correct word but I'm struggling with finding the correct words) with tremendous hidden strength that people maybe don..."

Well said!

message 3106: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 13792 comments Ame wrote: "I always see Adrien as more delicate and vulnerable (maybe not the correct word but I'm struggling with finding the correct words) with tremendous hidden strength that people maybe don't see."

Yes, slight, slender. But a tough guy inside. ;-D

message 3105: by Emily (new)

Emily | 77 comments Anne wrote: "Ame wrote: "I always see Adrien as more delicate and vulnerable (maybe not the correct word but I'm struggling with finding the correct words) with tremendous hidden strength that people maybe don..."

I agree with everything you just said. He has strength it is just a quiet strength. I think Jake sees that and is attracted to it.

message 3104: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 13792 comments Anne wrote: "Ame wrote: "I always see Adrien as more delicate and vulnerable (maybe not the correct word but I'm struggling with finding the correct words) with tremendous hidden strength that people maybe don..."

Yes. :-)

Idamus | 1514 comments Anne wrote: "Ame wrote: "I always see Adrien as more delicate and vulnerable (maybe not the correct word but I'm struggling with finding the correct words) with tremendous hidden strength that people maybe don..."

I agree with you on all that :-)

message 3102: by Anne (new)

Anne | 3687 comments Ame wrote: "I always see Adrien as more delicate and vulnerable (maybe not the correct word but I'm struggling with finding the correct words) with tremendous hidden strength that people maybe don't see."

I think people see Adrien very different from how he sees himself (and isn't this always the case?) I don't think he sees himself as delicate and vulnerable at all, whereas Lisa definitely does, so he is always annoyed at her attempts at making him take better care of himself.

Strangely enough, I don't think Jake sees him like that either, he sees that strength and is drawn to it. Adrien challenges him and I think Jake needs that.

Susinok | 3329 comments Na wrote: "In French, our informal words for naked is "à poil" (with hair). ..."

I learn the coolest things in this group...

message 3100: by Ame (new)

Ame | 602 comments I always see Adrien as more delicate and vulnerable (maybe not the correct word but I'm struggling with finding the correct words) with tremendous hidden strength that people maybe don't see.

message 3099: by Hj (new)

Hj | 2436 comments Carlita wrote: "Montgomery Clift will always be Adrien for me. There is a powerful sophistication and rawness beneath all that beauty. :-)"

If we're casting, I agree. I'm fond of JGL but he's not quite beautiful enough for Adrien.

Carlita Costello | 670 comments I love Matt Bomer. He could a second choice for me. :-)

Carlita Costello | 670 comments Carlita wrote: Montgomery Clift will......
Josh wrote: Yes, I see a definite resemblance.

:-) :-) :-)

message 3096: by Karen (new)

Karen | 1889 comments Oh, and I love Catherine Dair's illustrations of the guys.

Stranger Things Have Happened  An Adrien English Write Your Own Damn Story (Adrien English Mystery) by Josh Lanyon

message 3095: by Kathleen (last edited Sep 10, 2014 06:17PM) (new)

Kathleen (KLCharles) | 1 comments My Adrien English...

Am I allowed to post an image???

message 3094: by Linda (new)

Linda (Linda2485) | 48 comments Josh wrote: "Carlita wrote: "Montgomery Clift will always be Adrien for me. There is a powerful sophistication and rawness beneath all that beauty. :-)"

Yes, I see a definite resemblance. ;-)"

I had to google him. He's a good looking guy. I can see him as Adrien. :)

message 3093: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 13792 comments Carlita wrote: "Montgomery Clift will always be Adrien for me. There is a powerful sophistication and rawness beneath all that beauty. :-)"

Yes, I see a definite resemblance. ;-)

message 3092: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 13792 comments Lori K wrote: "Josh wrote: "David Bradley is one of those people who is so sure he is right, no evidence to the contrary can sway him. He truly believes Taylor is not the right guy for Will, is not steady or stab..."

:-D

message 3091: by Susan (new)

Susan | 482 comments Carlita wrote: "Montgomery Clift will always be Adrien for me. There is a powerful sophistication and rawness beneath all that beauty. :-)"

Yes.

Carlita Costello | 670 comments Montgomery Clift will always be Adrien for me. There is a powerful sophistication and rawness beneath all that beauty. :-)

Barbra (aelnova) | 49 comments Linda wrote: "I like David, just wish he'd find another boyfriend and stop hanging around Will so much.

Going back to how we picture Adrien and Jake: I don't really have a solid picture in my head when reading,..."

I think Joseph Gordon-Levitt would be a good Adrien too. :-)

message 3088: by Becky (new)

Becky Black (beckyblack) | 654 comments Anne wrote: "Susinok wrote: "Unless the naked torso has red chest hair or something. Why do we never get hairy naked chests? I like hairy chests...

I'm a bear! In bear parlance, I am a Chubby Ginger Mama Bear!..."

Check out the Anne Cain covers on these.
My Fair Captain (Sci-Regency #1) by J.L. Langley The Englor Affair (Sci-Regency #2) by J.L. Langley

They're not really bear like, but they're very real torsos. I've got My Fair Captain in paperback and looking at it you feel that chest should be warm if you touched it! :D

message 3087: by Na (new)

Na | 66 comments Susinok wrote: "Unless the naked torso has red chest hair or something. Why do we never get hairy naked chests? I like hairy chests...

I'm a bear! In bear parlance, I am a Chubby Ginger Mama Bear! Who's with me?"

:D
In French, our informal words for naked is "à poil" (with hair).

message 3086: by Lori K (last edited Sep 10, 2014 05:26PM) (new)

Lori K | 217 comments Josh wrote: "David Bradley is one of those people who is so sure he is right, no evidence to the contrary can sway him. He truly believes Taylor is not the right guy for Will, is not steady or stable enough for Will, does not truly appreciate Will, will not be faithful to him, etc.

He doesn't hate Taylor or wish him harm, he just believes Taylor needs to hurry up and get out of the picture. :-)

And he feels like he was there first -- he and Will were already dating -- when Taylor suddenly decided he and Will should be together. So from his standpoint, HE has right on his side. ..."

For one very short second, you alllmost had me convinced...

message 3085: by Anne (new)

Anne | 3687 comments Susinok wrote: "Unless the naked torso has red chest hair or something. Why do we never get hairy naked chests? I like hairy chests...

I'm a bear! In bear parlance, I am a Chubby Ginger Mama Bear! Who's with me?"

I'm with you. I like rugged, hairy chests :)

message 3084: by Linda (new)

Linda (Linda2485) | 48 comments I hate the naked torso covers. I prefer the covers that don't have people on them at all.

message 3083: by Susinok (last edited Sep 10, 2014 12:01PM) (new)

Susinok | 3329 comments Unless the naked torso has red chest hair or something. Why do we never get hairy naked chests? I like hairy chests...

I'm a bear! In bear parlance, I am a Chubby Ginger Mama Bear! Who's with me?

message 3082: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 13792 comments Johanna wrote: "Josh wrote: "Why on earth do we even form ideas of how a character in a book will or should look? Oh good, this is going to be a story about a dark-haired slender man!"

LOL. And maybe this is when..."

True! :-D

Johanna | 7515 comments Josh wrote: "Why on earth do we even form ideas of how a character in a book will or should look? Oh good, this is going to be a story about a dark-haired slender man!"

LOL. And maybe this is when the nekkid torso covers come in handy — when you don't have a head, there can't be any problem about your hair color... :-)

message 3080: by Josh (last edited Sep 10, 2014 07:27AM) (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 13792 comments Linda wrote: "Jake is harder. I've always had a hard time picturing Jake as blond. I actually thought he was dark-haired the first time I read the series, besides it being stated several times that he's blond. ..."

This is so weird. But I do it too. All the time. I have a certain idea in my mind of how the characters will look, and it is actually disturbing if they don't match up.

Now why is that? Pre-conceived ideas of how someone will look based on the book blurb? How does that even happen? Why on earth do we even form ideas of how a character in a book will or should look? Oh good, this is going to be a story about a dark-haired slender man!

:-D :-D :-D

And why does it bother us if the character doesn't look like we imagined?

message 3079: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 13792 comments Mel is another person with good intentions who just doesn't really have the reserves of strength necessary to be with someone like Adrien.

It's not that he doesn't care -- he genuinely did -- but, as you say, he just can't deal with Adrien's mortality.

message 3078: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 13792 comments Karen wrote: "Bryce feels "fake nice" to me, like the kind of person who gets their way by wheedling and guilt-tripping.
..."

That's interesting. I think Bryce is probably genuinely nice, but genuinely nice in the way that some people are nice so long as they are not tested for too long. Meaning that I don't know that he would have a lot of deep reserves of strength to call on.

And I think you're right about the guilt-trips. Bryce would not bother hiding hurt feelings or disappointment. And he would think his hurt and disappointment were hugely important.

message 3077: by Josh (new)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 13792 comments David Bradley is one of those people who is so sure he is right, no evidence to the contrary can sway him. He truly believes Taylor is not the right guy for Will, is not steady or stable enough for Will, does not truly appreciate Will, will not be faithful to him, etc.

He doesn't hate Taylor or wish him harm, he just believes Taylor needs to hurry up and get out of the picture. :-)

And he feels like he was there first -- he and Will were already dating -- when Taylor suddenly decided he and Will should be together. So from his standpoint, HE has right on his side.

message 3076: by Popcorn (last edited Sep 10, 2014 04:40AM) (new)

Popcorn | 14 comments This is how I see Jake and Adrien...*swoon*....

(view spoiler)

message 3075: by Karen (last edited Sep 09, 2014 07:02PM) (new)

Karen | 1889 comments I guess I'll have to reread a lot of these series again. : )

David Bradley is persistent, and I've always felt calculating in a not so nice way. I do understand readers wanting him to find his match. After all there have been less likable ex-boyfriends in other series who convincingly are redeemed in series sequels. I don't know why I read David the way I do, but he just doesn't do it for me.

Bryce feels "fake nice" to me, like the kind of person who gets their way by wheedling and guilt-tripping.

Mel couldn't cope with Adrien's mortality. Even with AE's heart condition resolved, there would always be an issue there. How much can one invest emotionally in a relationship with a partner who might bail when you're ill or injured? He's still decent friend material though, but Mel's fears would interfere with any close relationship.

Cynical much? ; )

message 3074: by Linda (new)

Linda (Linda2485) | 48 comments I like David, just wish he'd find another boyfriend and stop hanging around Will so much.

Going back to how we picture Adrien and Jake: I don't really have a solid picture in my head when reading, but if I were to cast actors for a movie or mini-series adaptation, Joseph Gordon-Levitt would be my Adrien.

Jake is harder. I've always had a hard time picturing Jake as blond. I actually thought he was dark-haired the first time I read the series, besides it being stated several times that he's blond. And I just can't picture Adrien with someone blond. I don't know why. :P I'd have to do a casting call for Jake. ;)

Susinok | 3329 comments Lori K wrote: "I have to say my irritation with DB was due more to Will than to Bradley himself...

~ I guess he can have Mel~

I still can hardly remember Bryce. Time for a re-read."

"Oh, Hello Mark..." cookie baking very nice guy.

Lori K | 217 comments I have to say my irritation with DB was due more to Will than to Bradley himself...

~ I guess he can have Mel~

I still can hardly remember Bryce. Time for a re-read.

Tharayn (TonaradossTharayn) | 80 comments Ame wrote: "I'd ship Bradley and Mel.

If you really want Bryce to hook up with someone let it be Guy *sigh*"

I wouldn't ship Bradley und Bryce either. I wouldn't ship anyone with Bryce (not that I hate Bryce but he is... somehow... weird. I don't know, that guy isn't really interesting).

I don't really know if I would ship Bradley with anyone. I think his guy must yet come along... =D

message 3070: by Becky (new)

Becky Black (beckyblack) | 654 comments I never minded David Bradley - as long as he didn't try anything. And he was an honorable guy. I really felt for him when Will had lost his memory and thought they were still together (even if that amnesia trope is kind of goofy. :D) He was in a very tricky position there and he handled it as best he could.

Mel and Guy are just people for Adrien to kill time with until Jake appeared and then until Jake finally got his act together. Mel and Adrien probably just outgrew each other, changed too much from the people they'd been when they got together. And Guy was one of those "good in theory" boyfriends, but there was no spark. He was a placeholder until Jake came back.

Bryce bugs me for some reason. I don't think he evil or anything. He just gets on my nerves.

message 3069: by Ame (new)

Ame | 602 comments I'd ship Bradley and Mel.

If you really want Bryce to hook up with someone let it be Guy *sigh*

Susinok | 3329 comments Heh I think I suggested Bradley and Bryce. Though I want to know about Bryce's Christmas party guest...

message 3067: by Hj (new)

Hj | 2436 comments Tharayn wrote: "I mean there are some ex-boyfriends in the m/m area which I don't like either, but Bradley... I don't know, he seems like a real nice guy. I wish, he would find someone special for him too...."

Didn't someone suggest once that he could pair up with Bryce, or one of the other exs?

Tharayn (TonaradossTharayn) | 80 comments Susinok wrote: "Tharayn wrote: "To be honest I don't really understand the rage against Bradley. He is a nice guy who wanted a relationship with Will. They would have been a nice couple, but Will felt in love with..."

I mean there are some ex-boyfriends in the m/m area which I don't like either, but Bradley... I don't know, he seems like a real nice guy. I wish, he would find someone special for him too.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 62 63
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Adrien English Mysteries: Fatal Shadows and A Dangerous Thing (other topics)
What Rough Beast (other topics)
The Charioteer (other topics)
NonConsensual Love (other topics)
The Dark Tide (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Josh Lanyon (other topics)