Q&A with Josh Lanyon discussion

Story Discussions > The Adrien English series

Comments (showing 1-50 of 3,115) (3115 new)    post a comment »

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 13831 comments Adrien English Mysteries: Fatal Shadows and A Dangerous Thing

Nothing in particular I want to say about the series, I just thought it would be better to address any potential spoilers here versus the regular discussion threads.

As for additional AE stories...I'm tentatively--TENTATIVELY--looking at 2012 for a possible Christmas story. I say tentative because I still don't have any particular plot in mind.

Heather C (HeatherCook) Thank you, thank you, thank you...

Sorry for hijacking the other thread with our Adrien LOVE!

Emanuela ~plastic duck~ (manutwo) | 1849 comments Josh, please please please, before 12/21/2012, just in case the prophecies are true.

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions  (Vapidbubbles) Em you're so funny.

Josh it really says something that its your readers dying wish for more AE. Not sure what it is says

Diane (DianeNYC) | 14 comments Emanuela ~Zstyx~ wrote: "Josh, please please please, before 12/21/2012, just in case the prophecies are true."

LOL!! :) Good thinking!

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 13831 comments Emanuela ~Zstyx~ wrote: "Josh, please please please, before 12/21/2012, just in case the prophecies are true."

:-D

I do hope the Mayans took AE into account!

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 13831 comments Bubbles (Dane) wrote: "Em you're so funny.

Josh it really says something that its your readers dying wish for more AE. Not sure what it is says"

Whatever the heck it says, it's certainly flattering.

Liade | 408 comments As for additional AE stories...I'm tentatively--TENTATIVELY--looking at 2012 for a possible Christmas story. I say tentative because I still don't have any particular plot in mind.

Send them to Oxford (the real one) - no doubt Acrien would be following in Lord Peter Wimsey's footsteps *g*

Nichem | 28 comments Josh wrote: "As for additional AE stories...I'm tentatively--TENTATIVELY--looking at 2012 for a possible Christmas story."

Yay!!!!!!

Jen | 81 comments Josh wrote: "As for additional AE stories...I'm tentatively--TENTATIVELY--looking at 2012 for a possible Christmas story. I say tentative because I still don't have any particular plot in mind. "

*bounces* :D

Mary (mary-soto) | 37 comments \(^o^)/ Thanks Josh!

It would be nice to read something from Jake's perspective, but when it comes to AE I'll take what I can get...now to add this to my Xmas list. :D

Buda (springboksfan) | 43 comments LOL I love this: I'm tentatively--TENTATIVELY--

Gotcha. No getting the hopes up, no chomping at the bit, no being absolutely crushed into smithereens if it doesn't happen. ;)

I've wondered something for a while, so I'm just going to ask. Do all the pleas for more AE (aside from being wonderfully flattering and even more well deserved) make it more difficult to find a new story for them to tell?

Leah (PurpleLiterati) | 48 comments Rob wrote: "LOL I love this: I'm tentatively--TENTATIVELY--

Gotcha. No getting the hopes up, no chomping at the bit, no being absolutely crushed into smithereens if it doesn't happen. ;)

I've wondered someth..."

Rob:

I'm just going to jump in here and suggest that just maybe our constant badgering and proffering can INSPIRE Josh's AE muse and encourage storytelling! There you go, I justified our AE whining quite nicely ;)

Leah

Andy Slayde | 220 comments Sorry we took over the discussion thread. We just got a bit passionate about A/J - can you blame us?

Heather C (HeatherCook) It was worth it. I could talk about them all day

Heather C (HeatherCook) And since the world is ending, we should all celebrate Christmas in July

Andy Slayde | 220 comments Heather C wrote: "And since the world is ending, we should all celebrate Christmas in July"

What a great idea ;o)

Kari Gregg (KariGregg) | 1862 comments No, July is when we celebrate 2 of my kids' unbirthdays. Hm. I see your July and raise you an August? ;-)

Leah (PurpleLiterati) | 48 comments Kari wrote: "No, July is when we celebrate 2 of my kids' unbirthdays. Hm. I see your July and raise you an August? ;-)"

My birthday is June 1st!! How about an AE present?

Kari Gregg (KariGregg) | 1862 comments Leah wrote: "My birthday is June 1st!! How about an AE present?"

My birthday is July. I'd seriously like a kiddos-born-in-January-NOT-insisting-on-campout-unbday-party present. 3yrs running now. Like turning 39 Again isn't punishment enough? Bah.

I think Jake and Adrien should go camping. With Jake's family. That'd be...interesting. LOLOL

Heather C (HeatherCook) I'm still picturing a christmas disaster. Like a lovers quarl amongst 2 of Lisa's house staff and Adrien trips over the body! Or christmas in England. I would like to see Jake and Adrien working on another case together

Kari Gregg (KariGregg) | 1862 comments Holidays are for families and what better time for Jake to introduce Adrien to his? Insta-conflict. ;-)

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 13831 comments I've wondered something for a while, so I'm just going to ask. Do all the pleas for more AE (aside from being wonderfully flattering and even more well deserved) make it more difficult to find a new story for them to tell?

Hmm. I don't know. I think it's mostly I don't feel any strong urge to write about them yet. I've always loved writing them and I don't want to lose that, so I don't want to even think about it until I *feel* that desire again.

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 13831 comments Andy wrote: "Sorry we took over the discussion thread. We just got a bit passionate about A/J - can you blame us?"

I have no problem with it. ;-)

Just doing a little housekeeping.

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 13831 comments Hey Kari, didn't you have a new book out this week? Congratulations!

Kari Gregg (KariGregg) | 1862 comments Josh wrote: "Hey Kari, didn't you have a new book out this week? Congratulations!"

Yup and thanks! I get to actually enjoy What Rough Beast's release. No manic next-one-due-when on the to-do list. Well, okay, yeah, the next one's nearly ready to be mailed out, but it's not active on anyone's schedule yet. So I can breathe.

Yeah, I know. Horrible attitude for a writer. Professionally, I'm supposed to want projects scheduled out nice and neat, but 3 books this close together as a newbie damn near killed me. I don't know how you do it, LOL.

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 13831 comments Yup and thanks! I get to actually enjoy What Rough Beast's release. No manic next-one-due-when on the to-do list. Well, okay, yeah, the next one's nearly ready to be mailed out, but it's not active on anyone's schedule yet. So I can breathe.

Excellent. I wish you lots of success with it.

Yeah, I know. Horrible attitude for a writer. Professionally, I'm supposed to want projects scheduled out nice and neat, but 3 books this close together as a newbie damn near killed me. I don't know how you do it, LOL.

I won't be doing it for much longer. By the end of next week I should on a slow and steady schedule. 1-2K a day and basically one project at a time. I can't wait for the sanity to begin!

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 13831 comments Heather C wrote: "I'm still picturing a christmas disaster. Like a lovers quarl amongst 2 of Lisa's house staff and Adrien trips over the body! Or christmas in England. I would like to see Jake and Adrien working o..."

Now you're talking a novel. I'm thinking something a little simpler.

Actually I have no idea what I'm thinking because I'm NOT thinking yet. ;-D

Heather C (HeatherCook) Josh wrote: "Heather C wrote: "I'm still picturing a christmas disaster. Like a lovers quarl amongst 2 of Lisa's house staff and Adrien trips over the body! Or christmas in England. I would like to see Jake an..."

Darn! well, I still have my fantasies...

Andy Slayde | 220 comments Josh wrote: "Now you're talking a novel."

However, if you're writing a short story and it gets away from you and turns into something bigger - no harm no foul ;o)

Heather C (HeatherCook) Yes, we will even pay more for it to compensate!

Andy Slayde | 220 comments Heather C wrote: "Yes, we will even pay more for it to compensate!"

Of course we would :o)

Leah (PurpleLiterati) | 48 comments Heather C wrote: "I'm still picturing a christmas disaster. Like a lovers quarl amongst 2 of Lisa's house staff and Adrien trips over the body! Or christmas in England. I would like to see Jake and Adrien working o..."

Oh, oh, oh... how about while they are in England - maybe visiting an antique bookstore in London - they run into a gorgeous... no beautiful, young man that has eyes for Adrien. Somehow, a la Lanyon magical writing, they end up being thrown together for all kinds of reasons. They develop a friendship/mutual trust thing, but Jake doesn't like the guy - doesn't trust him. Adrien defends him, even becoming possessive or protective maybe. Jake/Adrien have already discussed the "recipricating" issue, which Jake initially balks at, but then this super-model-leggy-gorgeous guy comes along, and Jake starts to think twice about that whole bottom/top thing.

O.k., I'm done... for now :) A/J are just so much fun.

Heather C (HeatherCook) Haha, I LOVE this!!

Andy Slayde | 220 comments I don't think plot bunnies would be a problem for future A/J stories :o)

JPerceval | 154 comments Do you ever get the feeling we think about Adrien and Jake more than Josh does? *g*

Emanuela ~plastic duck~ (manutwo) | 1849 comments JPerceval wrote: "Do you ever get the feeling we think about Adrien and Jake more than Josh does? *g*"

lol, probably :)

Jen | 81 comments JPerceval wrote: "Do you ever get the feeling we think about Adrien and Jake more than Josh does? *g*"

Yes

Josh (JoshLanyon) | 13831 comments JPerceval wrote: "Do you ever get the feeling we think about Adrien and Jake more than Josh does? *g*"

Yes. ;-D

I admit that--because that was the only series I was writing for so long--I still tend to see things and earmark them for Adrien.

Adrien buys a box of books in an estate sale and finds a rare copy of.... and so on and so on.

JPerceval | 154 comments I should also add "specifically their lives behind the bedroom door?" Heh.

Heather C (HeatherCook) JPerceval wrote: "Do you ever get the feeling we think about Adrien and Jake more than Josh does? *g*"

Yes, I think about them everyday. What's wrong with me??

message 42: by Leah (last edited Jan 28, 2011 01:08PM) (new)

Leah (PurpleLiterati) | 48 comments Adrien buys a box of books in an estate sale and finds a rare copy of....

The Poetical Works of Lord Byron, when in between the pages of the poem When We Two Parted, he finds a beautiful love letter written by a man to his male lover. Adrien becomes obsessed with finding out what happened to the two men, and is dismayed to learn that the man's young lover was murdered! The man was accused and convicted of the crime, but after reading the letter, Adrien isn't convinced.

(I'll stop now, I promise :)

See, we can do this! But, alas, Josh is so much better at it and I look forward, however short, to Adrien and Jakes next adventure! This is fun btw.

Leah

Heather C (HeatherCook) Ooh!! FanFiction!

♡♥Ang ♥♡ I am reading these now, and i am loving them :)
thanks to heather, Josh you could be come my new obsession!!!

Lora | 76 comments I can wait unitl you have the time and the perfect story. I know how to re-read, if I have to....

Becky (Fibrobabe) | 1248 comments Since Josh has effectively placed Adrien and Jake and Kit and J.X. in the same fictional universe (Kit had a copy of Adrien's latest book on his nightstand in All She Wrote), would you want to see the four of them come together for a story? They're all practically neighbors, except for J.X. who's up in San Francisco. But how much longer will that last?

Would that work for you as a reader? Which one would you want to narrate the story, Adrien or Kit? The two series have very different tones. Would it be weird to see one of the couples through such a different lense? Would they all get along?

I could see there being friction between Jake and Kit. I think everyone else would get along OK, but I think Kit would get on Jake's nerves.

But can you imagine the conniption the police would have if a dead body appeared in the presence of these four? Say at a signing for J.X.'s latest best seller at Cloak and Dagger....

Heather C (HeatherCook) I want something from Jake's POV. Someway, somehow, that's what I want.

Kari Gregg (KariGregg) | 1862 comments Part of what made AE such a wonderful story world for me was Adrien's voice and the deep POV, though. Jake wouldn't deliver the same sound and mood, even going into the same depth of POV. AE's more like us writerly types, the wordy/thinky type Josh has referred to (...somewhere...LOL...). Whereas Jake wouldn't be. He's more terse, abrupt, just not as wordy/thinky.

Not saying it couldn't be done or that Josh wouldn't be able to pull it off....I just think it'd be incredibly difficult, especially fitting a Jake POV book into the AE storyverse.

Lil' Grogan (Grogan) I ditto for wanting the Jake POV. I read those interviews like I was starved. I love Adrien's voice, but I also think part of the talent for using 1st person effectively is the ability to write the other characters in a pretty fully realized way separate from the 1st person pov character(does that make sense?). I think Josh does that really well. I'm not a writer, but don't you also have to semi-live in the other characters' heads as well when writing? Would it be a far leap after 5 books to write Jake's POV?

@Becky I'm probably in the minority here but to me the Adrien series is done. I think in many ways I want them to live in my head now. =) Part of it also is not wanting them to go through any more pain..my god!

So I guess for your question..I think just a little from-a-distance or quick chance encounter from Kit's POV would be enough to satisfy me. Unless of course Jake's going to spill about their (and it better be) HEA.

Heather C (HeatherCook) I agree. I don't want to see any more pain in their relationship. Something short and fun would satisfy me. Especially if it was sweet and emotional.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 62 63

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Adrien English Mysteries: Fatal Shadows and A Dangerous Thing (other topics)
What Rough Beast (other topics)
The Charioteer (other topics)
NonConsensual Love (other topics)
The Dark Tide (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Josh Lanyon (other topics)