Young Writers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Music Emotion Exercise

Comments (showing 1-50 of 109) (109 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim Crowley (KimCrow) | 1893 comments Play a song of your choice and write something that goes with the emotion of that song.

Iviana (The Sign Painter) Mʘ‿ʘP (TheSignPainter) D. Scarlatti - Sonata in c minor
You're running. You're running so fast, it's hard to keep up. You're weaving through the trees, in and out, in and out. You're laughing. I'm worried, and rightfully so. 

Somewhere along the lines, you've disappeared. And so now I'm trying to find you. Time passes. I'm still searching. I think I see you. And now you're falling.  

I find you.

~§~

I'm remembering again now. Remembering you, of course. Just a few days since you were running. I'm running again, and so are you. In and out and in and out of the trees. I remember seeing them, now. Perhaps they thought you an animal of some sort. 

I see the glint. I see you fall. I see you lying on the ground.

I watch them run. Like cowards. 

~§~

I'm remembering again now. You, again. Well... Most of you. I remember the searching, the fear. Did you mean for me to be fearful for you as you ran? I've forgiven you for what you've done to me all those times before. But this was different. Obviously. You're dead now. You've been dead.

I've stopped remembering. Instead, I'm walking through those same woods as before. 

Are you still there?

I poke my head around the trees. You're not. You're gone. Shame. I don't forgive you this time. 

message 3: by Baxter, butts butts butts (new)

Baxter (julietrocksmysocks) | 2455 comments Mod
Dude, I didn't even know this topic existed. It got buried, which is stupid because it's the best thing EVER. EVVERRRRR

Kendall [Kenny] (poeticshark) | 10786 comments Baxter wrote: "Dude, I didn't even know this topic existed. It got buried, which is stupid because it's the best thing EVER. EVVERRRRR"

I agree.

message 5: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 5093 comments I'd kind of forgotten it too. It might prove entirely useful, though.

Iviana (The Sign Painter) Mʘ‿ʘP (TheSignPainter) Baxter wrote: "Dude, I didn't even know this topic existed. It got buried, which is stupid because it's the best thing EVER. EVVERRRRR"

It took me ten minutes to find, 'cause I didn't know what folder it was under.

message 7: by Hayden (new)

Hayden (normanbaes) | 8010 comments Me too when I'm not too lazy.

message 8: by Kriss (new)

Kriss (Krisslee) | 5009 comments Song: You Belong With Me - Taylor Swift (even if I don't like her very much)

How many of us want our high school sweethearts? You watch them walking down the busy hallways hand in hand, and you think, why isn’t that me? The imprint of his hand is fresh in my mind, the feeling of his fingers on my skin, the shape of his lips and the shadow of his little mustache that I always get so distracted by. I can feel his breath on the nape of my neck, I can feel his fingers in my hair, and I wonder if he thinks about the same things, ever.

I think of his half-smile, the cat's grin, the one he gets when he’s being sarcastic or trying to be serious or flirty. I think of the way he laughs, and the way he talks, and the way he rolls his eyes, and the way he sighs. I see how he looks when he’s tired, and how he acts when he’s upset, I see the sudden anger in his eyes that disappears to something moody and dark. Why should I care at all? What’s the point in thinking, I’d like to hold your hand. Will you hold my hand?

And then there are his fingers on a phone, talking to someone not there right now. There he is, a girl’s head in his lap, laughing in the dark. There she is, in his jacket, his baseball number on the back. There they are, hand in hand, there they are kissing, there they are hugging, and there they are talking, touching, laughing, arguing, rushing together and then crashing apart again like the ocean over rocks. And neither of them ever knowing what they want; each other, or someone else, but I think he deserves better.

A morning walking alone, down a road, the smell of ocean in the air. So close, so far away, his eyes distant. Me still in my pajamas, him still dressed. And then I’m thinking of his head in my lap, the way his shoulders are so tight with pain, my fingers on the arch of his neck as I run my hand down his spine, shushing him, listening to him fall asleep, stroking his hair back, and then loose the memory as I fall sleep too.

message 9: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments You're cool, Kriss. I don't like Taylor Swift either, but that's really cool.

message 10: by Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* | 11972 comments Mod
That is cool.
And I don't like Taylor Swift either-neither.

message 11: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments *nods*

message 12: by Hayden (new)

Hayden (normanbaes) | 8010 comments Okay, um, Claire de Lune.

As the moon's light slithered past the trees, you held me, ignoring anybody else that passed. It was nothing extravagant; just your arms wrapped around my waist as we stared up at the stars.

"There's Leo," I said softly, pointing up at a constellation. You nodded, pulling your arms away and spinning me around.

"Remember when we were first here?" you whispered. I gave a small nod. You smiled. "When we danced to no music?" I gave a smile back to you and nodded again.

Without a question, you put your hand in mine and put your other on my waist and started dancing. Stumbling to catch up, your eyes mocked me with silent laughter. "Sorry," I mumbled. "You caught me off guard."

You merely gave me a wink before looking up at the sky. "It's a beautiful night out."

"Yep," I sighed, looking up momentarily before looking back at you. "Don't be giving me any cheesy pickup lines, now," I warned, seeing the look in your eyes.

You snickered, not saying another word. You let go of my waist and held my hand above my head. I took the hint, spinning under your arm before you placed your hand on my waist again.

That's all we did for a while: danced in the moonlight to music running through our head. You leaned in closer, but stopped with a hesitant look on your face. Eager to find out what you were doing, I gave a small nod and leaned in myself. We both closed our eyes, unsure how this was going to go, and your lips met mine for the first time.

I can't go into deep detail about how it was; it was soft, a shy, cautious personality to it. We lingered there for a moment, before I stumbled away stupidly. You gave a weak smile and we looked away, unsure what to do now.

And I hate that memory.

message 13: by Hayden (new)

Hayden (normanbaes) | 8010 comments Kriss wrote: "Song: You Belong With Me - Taylor Swift (even if I don't like her very much)

How many of us want our high school sweethearts? You watch them walking down the busy hallways hand in hand, and you th..."

That was really good.

message 14: by Baxter, butts butts butts (new)

Giles Corey - Blackest Bile

All around, all around, gather all around. The days have become long and tiring, with no satisfaction granted upon me. I can feel the dirt and grime and fumes and the life of earth slip down my throat and choke me, infect and destroy my lungs. Three have died this month, two of which were my friends and two of which I saw. The porch of the home is breaking, there's a hole in the center that nearly swallowed the cat. It grows every day. A week ago, there was an accident. The dynamite, held by the Chinese kid, it went off early. A rod went through ones head and I was almost hit by the lone arm of Ol' John. I don't know what to do about the hole. There isn't hardly enough money to feed me and the cat, and fixing a porch would sure cost more than feeding. The black dust from the underground, coating my body and my insides feels like He is trying to grasp me and pull me up, but can't quite get a good grip. At night, when the cat purrs fast asleep and I lay in my bed, the covers tucked nicely in and the lantern fire extinguished, they all gather around my side. It'll be soon. They talk to me, and I breath deep the air of dirt and dust.

Oh lawdy, I have not written anything in forevers.

message 15: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) Okay, so is music emotion exercise or whatever the same thing as writing a songfic?

It seems to me like this is making up something new based on a song, while songfics are more...taking characters/situations that already exist and basing a new scene on a song. Would songfics fall into this topic, too?

message 16: by Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* | 11972 comments Mod
Sure, I don't see why not.

message 18: by Kriss (new)

Kriss (Krisslee) | 5009 comments Into the Dark - James Blunt

Shiloh was staring at me like she knew what was in my heart. But she didn’t. How could she? She knew absolutely nothing about me. But she knew everything. She saw me for what I really was. And that was real. In front of Blanc I may have acted like an angel, like some sort of superior, godly creature. But that was all a lie. I was just like everyone else. I was just human.

Her eyes were wide and brown; too big for her face, I thought. Sometimes I wondered what she looked like as a human, instead of in a face surrounded by brown and black fur. “It’ll be me. I know it’ll be me. Because you love me.” She said the words surely, but I just kept staring, waiting for her to say that it was all a joke.

“No I don’t. I’ve never loved you.”

“Liar.”

message 19: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 5093 comments Emily [Is there such thing as beauty in everyone?] wrote: "I have no idea what I was on to have classical music do this to me."

Classical music does many wonderful things.

message 20: by Hayden (new)

Hayden (normanbaes) | 8010 comments Such as making a story that looks like a deformed lovechild of Lost and Inception.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Emily [Is there such thing as beauty in everyone?] wrote: "Okay, um, Claire de Lune.

As the moon's light slithered past the trees, you held me, ignoring anybody else that passed. It was nothing extravagant; just your arms wrapped around my waist as we st..."

Emily, if you ever say your writing is bad in front of me, I'll slap you.

message 22: by Hayden (new)

Hayden (normanbaes) | 8010 comments *squeaks*

message 23: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) Whoa, excuse me? Thalia's posting something?
I suppose so. Hmm. Interesting turn of events. o.O
(This is from the point of view of a character of mine from a I-know-this-is-all-oh-so-cliche-but-this-is-just-for-funsies-and-I-don't-really-care-that-the-plot-is-probably-overused story of mine. But since I never used anybody's name, I guess you can just imagine whatever the heck you want.)

Yellowcard - Sing for Me

Words weren’t enough. Words would never be enough.

Precious days were slipping away from them. Every breath, every heartbeat he wasted would never be regained; in a matter of weeks, he’d be gone. Off to college, and she…she’d still be here. Hiding, like she always was. Pretending to be someone she wasn’t to make somebody else happy. Refusing to see herself for the perfect girl that she was; insecure with herself, because it didn’t fit the mold of what she was used to.

And still, they hadn’t told anybody. They’d kept the secret. After all, how do you admit to your baby sister that you love her best friend? That every thought, of every moment; every skipped beat, every heavy breath was just for her? When nobody hardly realized that the two even knew one another, how was he supposed to confess that she was the only person, only thing, he’d ever loved?

How could he explain it to all of them when she couldn’t even tell her worth to him? She was always denying, always hiding, always forgetting her importance in his life. Laughing off every compliment as, “I’ll bet you’ve given that line to a hundred other girls,” when all he wanted was to admit, “But you’re the only one I ever truly meant it to.” Smiling softly when he tried to explain his actions; shrugging gently whenever he tried to tell her how wonderful she truly was. How she shouldn’t have to hide to be accepted.

He’d wanted to grab her face in both his hands; hold her close to him, so she couldn’t look away, couldn’t cast her eyes down and minimize what he said. He wanted to break down and confess, with her staring at him, into him. Just to explain the things happening to his heart whenever she looked at him, whenever she smiled, whenever she teased him. Whenever she was near, his breath caught in his throat, and he could only pray that his sister wouldn’t hear it, wouldn’t sense the change in his beating heart and realize there was more to the two of them than she really knew. He was sick of hiding his feelings for her benefit; but it would break his love’s heart if he admitted anything. The secrets were for her sake, not his own.

And it sickened him, because he was the one who cared about her, not that twit of a teenager he had for a sibling. Her, with her claims of it’s so great to have a best friend, when all she did was drag his love down, refusing to let her be happy if she wasn’t happy herself. And it was he who protected her, who would die for her if it came down to it. Nearly did when he rushed in after her, words flinging and fists flying. Brother and sister had both made bad choices in life, but at least she’d gotten a majority of hers correct. This girl, this beautiful girl who didn’t believe she was worth anything, didn’t believe she could be anyone’s entire world; it was her who made his heart flutter, and it was the choice to be with her and protect her that was the only decision he’d ever gotten right.

The final settle of heartbreak closed in on him then, during his remembering, during his inward ranting. Barely aware that he was in his truck, he pulled back the lever on the seat and let the backing swing back, causing him to be parallel to the roof. Closing hazel eyes and pursing pale lips, anguish set in and all he wanted was to give up the lies and just admit to the world, “I love her.”

Good heavens, I'm not at all good at expressing what this song actually means to this couple.

message 24: by Demo (new)

Demo This thread is so interesting. I don't know why everyone stopped posting.

message 25: by Demo (new)

Demo Kriss wrote: "Into the Dark - James Blunt

Shiloh was staring at me like she knew what was in my heart. But she didn’t. How could she? She knew absolutely nothing about me. But she knew everything. She saw me fo..."

My God, that sounds so professional! (not being sarcastic!) It's like something you'd find in a published novel.

message 26: by Kriss (new)

Kriss (Krisslee) | 5009 comments Aw, thanks (:

message 27: by Hayden (new)

Hayden (normanbaes) | 8010 comments Kriss is just a professional-sounding author.

message 28: by Alicia (Lav) (new)

Alicia (Lav) | 22636 comments Mod
OH I WANT TO DO THIS.
And I will. Someday.

message 29: by Kriss (last edited Jan 01, 2012 02:35PM) (new)

Kriss (Krisslee) | 5009 comments She Can Get It - Kevin Rudolf and Human - Carpark North

I watched as she threw herself over the rail, and my breath caught in my throat. I wasn’t going to tell her to be careful, though, because if I did she would only taunt me farther. She held on with her fingertips as she leaned forwards. I tried to clear the emotions from my face, but it was impossible. I stepped closer to the rail. She was smiling that crazy, crazy smile, her hair whipping in the wind.

“What are you doing?” I asked, and my voice broke. I couldn’t help it.

“Dancing with death,” she said it like it was a song, and she threw her voice loud, singing it, like the city below could hear her. “I’m dancing with death!” I stepped closer to look over the rail, and my stomach reeled. I couldn’t believe she was doing this. Both of her feet were only half on the ledge, and we were twenty stories in the air. She was crazy.

“C’mon, crawl back over.” I told her, trying to get her to listen. She only laughed. I moved to stand behind her, my hands going to her hips. I kissed the back of her neck. “C’mon. I’ll make it worth your while…” I bit her.

“Let go,” she dared me.

“No.”

“If you care about me you’ll let go,”

I laughed, and then lied. “I don’t care about you.” I kissed her neck again, slowly, and then moved to her jaw. I could feel her hips through the bars of the rail, and I still held onto them tight. I wasn’t going to let her fall. “Come back over,” I demanded. I wasn’t asking anymore. “I want to kiss you.”

“No.” She leaned forward, slipped out of my hands. I barely caught onto her elbow, and she hit the side of the building, hard. My stomach pressed against the rail, and I was full of fear. Not for myself, no, ‘cause I could take care of myself. For her—not just for this moment, but for the next one. I was afraid for her.

“You’ve danced with death,” I told her calmly. I hated her. I hated her, I hated how she made my heart race, I hated how she made my skin burn. I hated how afraid she made me, not for myself, but for when she would do something too stupid. I hated her. “You’ve led him across the dance floor. It’s time to come back.”

I was looking into her face, and she wasn’t afraid, even though she was dangling so, so high above the city below. She was smiling. I saw the sparkling lights, the cars, the sidewalk with people. And I saw her face, her gorgeous face, the metallic tattoo on her left cheek. I saw her eyes, black in the light, wide and daring. She wanted me to let her go.

I didn’t.

“I don’t care about you,” I lied breathlessly. “So I can’t let you go.”

message 30: by Alicia (Lav) (new)

OH MY FRICK.
This. This is amazing.
I think it's my favorite of anything you've written.
HOLY. FREAKING. CRAP.
LOVE.

message 31: by Kriss (new)

Kriss (Krisslee) | 5009 comments I'm glad you like it! I'm gonna start writing the actual book soon c:

message 32: by Alicia (Lav) (new)

AAAH YES. When you write more, can I read it?

message 33: by Kriss (new)

Kriss (Krisslee) | 5009 comments NO.

Of courseeee <3

I need to find names for the two MCs first ;__;

message 34: by Alicia (Lav) (new)

Huzzah! This is a story I'm extremely excited for. The things I've seen you post about it so far are just... wonderful.

UGH. I hate hate hate naming. It drives me insane. Good luck!

message 35: by Kriss (new)

Kriss (Krisslee) | 5009 comments Ah, I'm glad! I'll hopefully start working on the first chapter some time today :3

message 36: by Alicia (Lav) (new)

*meep*

message 37: by Kriss (new)

Kriss (Krisslee) | 5009 comments Meep? o:

message 38: by Baxter, butts butts butts (new)

Lil B - Keep On Rocking

All tha ladies grinding down mah pants, those disco globes throbbin', golden teeth sparklin in tha electro-glow, thrust farther than you can be trusted, gonna cause some injuries with mah massive swag knocking, cuz the unceunceuncepoundingunceunceunce running down the lobes that I been nomin', laughin at tha hatahs tahaha cuz tha based limit hass been risen past tha gods, cuz basedlord is rare, basedlord is collectable, basedlord is you and basedlord is me. (All the hot wimmins turn and face the camera, say "Always b positive nd love based have a nice day" -- Lil B)

message 39: by Alicia (Lav) (new)

Kriss wrote: "Meep? o:"

It's like... a happy noise.

message 40: by Kriss (new)

Kriss (Krisslee) | 5009 comments Lav [do I end up happy?] wrote: "Kriss wrote: "Meep? o:"

It's like... a happy noise."

I think of sheep.

message 41: by Kriss (new)

Kriss (Krisslee) | 5009 comments Baxter wrote: "Lil B - Keep On Rocking

All tha ladies grinding down mah pants, those disco globes throbbin', golden teeth sparklin in tha electro-glow, thrust farther than you can be trusted, gonna cause some i..."

Lovely, Baxter xD

message 42: by Hayden (new)

Hayden (normanbaes) | 8010 comments Baxter wrote: "Lil B - Keep On Rocking

All tha ladies grinding down mah pants, those disco globes throbbin', golden teeth sparklin in tha electro-glow, thrust farther than you can be trusted, gonna cause some i..."

XD

message 43: by Alicia (Lav) (new)

Kriss wrote: "Lav [do I end up happy?] wrote: "Kriss wrote: "Meep? o:"

I think of sheep."

Sheep are happy, right? xD

message 44: by Hayden (new)

Hayden (normanbaes) | 8010 comments I SHALL DO ANOTHER ONE OF THESE SOMETIME.

message 45: by Kriss (new)

Kriss (Krisslee) | 5009 comments Lav [lately I've been feeling] wrote: "Kriss wrote: "Lav [do I end up happy?] wrote: "Kriss wrote: "Meep? o:"

I think of sheep."

Sheep are happy, right? xD"

I dunno o.o

message 46: by Kriss (new)

Kriss (Krisslee) | 5009 comments Emily [The Horrible Giggle] wrote: "I SHALL DO ANOTHER ONE OF THESE SOMETIME."

ME TOOO. MAYBE RIGHT NOW. HM.

message 47: by Hayden (new)

Hayden (normanbaes) | 8010 comments I'm watching Lost right now (well, after I finish typing this post) so I can't.

*excuses, excuses*

message 48: by Kriss (new)

Kriss (Krisslee) | 5009 comments I've never watched lost o.o

And I think I'll write something. I'm boreddd.

message 49: by Alicia (Lav) (new)

I'm going to do one too! If I don't get distracted.

message 50: by Kriss (new)

Kriss (Krisslee) | 5009 comments I got distracted ;__;

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread