Young Writers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Clichés

Comments (showing 1-50 of 804) (804 new)    post a comment »

Kim Crowley (KimCrow) | 1893 comments What clichés have you noticed in the books you read? Which clichés really tick you off?

Megan (itsMEGAN) | 174 comments Urgh, the Vampire ones.

Cassie DiNozzio (weshouldtotallyjuststabcaesar) | 3837 comments Love triangles. Hate them.

Yue [Wonder of living] (swimgeek101) | 4458 comments SKitts/Cassie [Team Riley THIS IS SPARTA!] wrote: "Love triangles. Hate them."

Freaking agreed.

I also can't stand paranormal fantasy. At all.

message 5: by Cassie (last edited Feb 01, 2011 08:11PM) (new)

Cassie DiNozzio (weshouldtotallyjuststabcaesar) | 3837 comments Wait...DANGIT! Alessandro is in a love triangle. Two, actually.

Mandy  | 10724 comments Alessandro????

I'd never have guessed....

Maxy | 5171 comments SKitts/Cassie [Team Riley THIS IS SPARTA!] wrote: "Wait...DANGIT! Alessandro is in a love triangle. Two, actually."

*gasps*

I bet you could pull them off. As long as the majority of a book isn't just "OoooohwhodoIchoosemylifeissohard", then it can usually work.

Talia | 605 comments SKitts/Cassie [Team Riley THIS IS SPARTA!] wrote: "Love triangles. Hate them."

My life is a bloody love triangle >.<

Autumn who is autumny. (breathemyloves) | 4967 comments Talia wrote: "SKitts/Cassie [Team Riley THIS IS SPARTA!] wrote: "Love triangles. Hate them."

My life is a bloody love triangle >.<"

*hugs Father Talia*

message 10: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) | 1573 comments I get sick of fantasy cliches such as usurping uncles, bread-and-water jails and slaves.

Talia | 605 comments Autumn wrote: "Talia wrote: "SKitts/Cassie [Team Riley THIS IS SPARTA!] wrote: "Love triangles. Hate them."

My life is a bloody love triangle >.

*hugs Father Talia*"

Haha *pat pat*

Jordan, The Picture Magician (aka Probie) (thePictureMagicianakaProbie) | 2218 comments I understand the first and last ones, but the bread-and-water jail depends for me. I mean, if it was like a state prison, it would be unrealistic. But if the character is being held captive by someone other than law enforcement, it works. I think that the bread-and-water jail is so overused because it works so well. I mean, if you feed someone only dirty water and moldy bread for two months, they're bound to tell you anything you want to know after a while.

Maxy | 5171 comments I agree. And if you put them in a nice, sophisticated jail, you lose some of the jeopardy and suspense because their conditions are more ideal.

message 14: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) | 1573 comments I think Alex Rider´s "jail" in Snakehead is the best.

RoxyinWunderlust SKitts/Cassie [Team Riley THIS IS SPARTA!] wrote: "Love triangles. Hate them."

same >.< stupid love triangles

message 16: by Acacia, butts butts butts butts (new)

Acacia (acaciaa) | 3158 comments Mod
Aaaargh love triangles. They are just so...unnecessary. And predictable.

95% of the time, anyway. Yeah, they can work. But I just do not like them.

Jordan, The Picture Magician (aka Probie) (thePictureMagicianakaProbie) | 2218 comments Josephine wrote: "I think Alex Rider´s "jail" in Snakehead is the best."

It was pretty awesome. A little creepy, too. I mean, could you stand just waiting to be cut apart?

Shreya=Drastically Random. Find the emoticon. | 1078 comments Love triangles are all the same. :( Cute boy, popular girl, not-so-popular girl. Or cute girl, epicly cool boy, and dorky boy. AEEH.

Yue [Wonder of living] (swimgeek101) | 4458 comments Or a sexy vampire and a hot werewolf. *cough*

Maxy | 5171 comments I think it's usually the bad boy vs. the sweet guy.

Yue [Wonder of living] (swimgeek101) | 4458 comments Ah yes. Those are the worst. I would preferably choose the sweet guy, but somehow, they usually end up with the bad one. o.O

Cassie DiNozzio (weshouldtotallyjuststabcaesar) | 3837 comments Mandy Fompledump wrote: "Alessandro????

I'd never have guessed...."

Yep. I know. It's so unexpected.

Maxy | 5171 comments Yeah. It's because the bad boy suddenly, mysteriously develops a sweet side. xD

Alicia (Lav) | 22565 comments Mod
Really? My love triangle... or whatever it is is:

Super obnoxious cool jerk vs. amazingly cute sweet dorky boy

and then it turns into...

Super obnoxious cool jerk who isn't so obnoxious or cool or jerkish vs. abusive boyfriend

And my character is an idiot until the very very end.

Maxy | 5171 comments Which is why you are awesome. xD

Cassie DiNozzio (weshouldtotallyjuststabcaesar) | 3837 comments Maxy wrote: "SKitts/Cassie [Team Riley THIS IS SPARTA!] wrote: "Wait...DANGIT! Alessandro is in a love triangle. Two, actually."

*gasps*

I bet you could pull them off. As long as the majority of a book isn't ..."

Well, I'm pretty sure I can pull them off, because neither of them will work out in his favor and he's not a main character. I think I'll explain the love triangles...because I feel like it.

**SPOILER ALERT FOR THE BLOOD-DRINKER**

So, when Alessandro was human, he loved someone named Concetta, and was actually considering popping the question, but he chickened out so she fell in love with a Soul-Eater named Francesco, who tried to Turn her but something went wrong so she's been pretty much a preserved vegetable halfway between human and vampire (which would be so freaky) and then Francesco comes and finds Alessandro sometime in TB-D, and wants him to help him finish the Turning process. Alessandro is hoping that Concetta will chose him when she regains conciousness, but she won't because she'll have learned about what he did when...yeah. Also, he's in love with Tegan, but she completely hates him.

So, there's about a third to half of the plot for TB-D. Not really. But yeah.

Maxy | 5171 comments I don't really have any love triangles. There's the Fate-Darren-Amelia thing, but she never actually loves Fate, so it doesn't count.

Maxy wrote: "Which is why you are awesome. xD"

I feel loved. :)

Cassie DiNozzio (weshouldtotallyjuststabcaesar) | 3837 comments Maxy wrote: "I don't really have any love triangles. There's the Fate-Darren-Amelia thing, but she never actually loves Fate, so it doesn't count."

And that's why I love your writing. Well, that's not why, but I like that about your writing.

message 30: by Alicia (Lav) (last edited Feb 02, 2011 07:30PM) (new)

Maxy wrote: "I don't really have any love triangles. There's the Fate-Darren-Amelia thing, but she never actually loves Fate, so it doesn't count."

Poor Fate! D:

Maxy | 5171 comments Lav: As you should. =]

Skitts: D'aww. Thank you.

I was not aware of the Alessandro love triangle, though. *is curious*

SKitts/Cassie [Team Riley THIS IS SPARTA!] wrote: "Maxy wrote: "I don't really have any love triangles. There's the Fate-Darren-Amelia thing, but she never actually loves Fate, so it doesn't count."

And that's why I love your writing. Well, that..."

I just love Fate. XD

Cassie DiNozzio (weshouldtotallyjuststabcaesar) | 3837 comments Maxy wrote: "Lav: As you should. =]

Skitts: D'aww. Thank you.

I was not aware of the Alessandro love triangle, though. *is curious*"

No problem. I like telling the truth.

Then check out message 26.

Cassie DiNozzio (weshouldtotallyjuststabcaesar) | 3837 comments i miss who i was when (Lavendarlol) wrote: "SKitts/Cassie [Team Riley THIS IS SPARTA!] wrote: "Maxy wrote: "I don't really have any love triangles. There's the Fate-Darren-Amelia thing, but she never actually loves Fate, so it doesn't count...."

He is kind of adorable.

Maxy | 5171 comments I love him too. Teehee.

Cassie DiNozzio (weshouldtotallyjuststabcaesar) | 3837 comments MAXY! Read message 26!

Maxy | 5171 comments SKitts/Cassie [Team Riley THIS IS SPARTA!] wrote: "Maxy wrote: "SKitts/Cassie [Team Riley THIS IS SPARTA!] wrote: "Wait...DANGIT! Alessandro is in a love triangle. Two, actually."

*gasps*

I bet you could pull them off. As long as the majority..."

You can pull that off without it being cliched. =]

Cassie DiNozzio (weshouldtotallyjuststabcaesar) | 3837 comments *grins* Yay. Thank you.

Mandy  | 10724 comments SKitts/Cassie [Team Riley THIS IS SPARTA!] wrote: "Mandy Fompledump wrote: "Alessandro????

Yep. I know. It's so unexpected."

It's startling!

Mandy  | 10724 comments i miss who i was when (Lavendarlol) wrote: "Really? My love triangle... or whatever it is is:

Super obnoxious cool jerk vs. amazingly cute sweet dorky boy

and then it turns into...

Super obnoxious cool jerk who isn't so obnoxious or co..."

What Maxy said.

Maxy | 5171 comments i miss who i was when (Lavendarlol) wrote: "Maxy wrote: "I don't really have any love triangles. There's the Fate-Darren-Amelia thing, but she never actually loves Fate, so it doesn't count."

Poor Fate! D:"

I know! I love him so much, but Amelia would never just leave Darren. It wouldn't be a very strong ending if she just left her fiance for him, so alas, Fate must stay alone.

I'd be happy to have him, but he doesn't like me much.

It does make for a better ending. But still.

D'aww. He should. You're awesome. But I can see why he doesn't. Because of the whole Amelia thing.

Maxy | 5171 comments Hehe. Most of my favorite characters don't like me because I torture them that much.

I must not be an evil enough writer, because my characters generally like me.

Maxy | 5171 comments That's okay if your characters like you, though. And it's partly their personalities, not just my torture.

Yeah, that's true. I see.

Shreya=Drastically Random. Find the emoticon. | 1078 comments I cannot be evil for some reason. >.<

Cassie DiNozzio (weshouldtotallyjuststabcaesar) | 3837 comments Mandy Fompledump wrote: "SKitts/Cassie [Team Riley THIS IS SPARTA!] wrote: "Mandy Fompledump wrote: "Alessandro????

Yep. I know. It's so unexpected."

It's startling!"

*nods* It is.

Mandy  | 10724 comments *nods*

Angel♥ (angellover512) | 58 comments oh dear, cliches...

I've noticed those stories about the girl who meets this reclusive guy who tells her to stay away but she falls in love anyway are becoming so. cliche. I was in Borders telling my friend about it and picked a books off the shelf (which happened to be Elixir by Hilary Duff(yes, hilary duff...)) and it fit under that category. it was ridiculous....

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 17
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Fat Vampire: A Never Coming of Age Story (other topics)
Forget You (other topics)
The Toll Bridge (other topics)
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (other topics)
Trigger (other topics)
More...