Constant Reader discussion

Salon > Bellow's Letters

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 1425 comments Mike wrote: "I got the link to this article (http://www.dissentmagazine.org/online...) at Mark Athitakis' American Fiction Notes webpage, and it engaged me enough as a reader that I thought I'd share it..."

Thanks for sharing this. I became a huge fan of Bellow's work while living abroad and have been slowly reading everything ever since so this sound right up my alley. The man comes through the works enough to intrigue this reader at least so I've put this book on my huge mountain fo books listed TBR and am off to read the article.

Rosana | 589 comments I never read anything by Saul Bellow. What book of his would be a good intro to his writing? I would appreciate suggestions.

Denise | 389 comments That was an interesting article. I'm tempted to read Henderson the Rain King since it's Bellow's favorite.

Barbara | 5045 comments Thanks, Mike, great interview. My oldest son is a huge fan of Saul Bellow's and introduced me to his writing. I sent him this link too. Like Bellow, Henderson the Rain King is his favorite. I haven't read it yet, but did read Herzog and Ravelstein and liked both.

Ruby  Tombstone [Uncensored or Else]  (rubytombstone) I've been wondering which book to start with myself, so I think I'll put Herzog and Henderson the Rain King in my list and see which one I stumble across first. I had a look at the Saul Bellow author page earlier, and just from the quotes I'm sure I'll enjoy him.

It's interesting that not many people mention The Adventures of Augie March as being their favourite, but it's the first one you see in a book shop.

Jane | 416 comments Ruby, I actually loved reading The Adventures of Augie March. I read it years ago, and it felt like a revelation of what literature can do. And it felt very very male.

Ruby  Tombstone [Uncensored or Else]  (rubytombstone) Jane wrote: "Ruby, I actually loved reading The Adventures of Augie March. I read it years ago, and it felt like a revelation of what literature can do. And it felt very very male."

Haha! Jane, I saw your profile pic before I saw your name, and thought your comment was from a guy. All I saw was, "I felt very male!"

Now I'm really confused about which one to start with!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Henderson the Rain King (other topics)
Herzog (other topics)
Ravelstein (other topics)
The Adventures of Augie March (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Saul Bellow (other topics)