We LoveFilm discussion

Original Films > Inception

Comments (showing 1-38 of 38) (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Davina D. | 693 comments Mod
Has anyone seen this film? If you have, what did you think of it?

I'm not a fan of Leonardo DiCaprio so I almost passed on this film when I heard he was in it. I only decided to watch it because I respect the film's director, Christopher Nolan.

I'm glad I saw it because it was a hugely original and entertaining film. A bit confusing, but that's nothing a rewatch can't remedy.

I thought it was very tightly written. For me a well written story and tightly written one are two different things.

There are many films I've seen where I thought the story was generally well written, but there was some kind of loose end that was not clearly tied up, however small it may have been. On the other hand, a tightly written story leaves nothing untouched. Inception for me fell in this category. I personally could not detect any loose ends.

I loved it and while I'm still not a fan, it kinda painted L_D in a different light for me. Definitely think Nolan is going places, if he hasn't gotten there already.

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore I haven't seen it yet. Is it out on DVD yet? If so, I'll plan on watching it tonight.

message 3: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments I think it is on DVD.

message 4: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Metz | 40 comments I watched it on Video on Demand. I thought it was okay - but it just didn't blow me away. It was one of those movies that you almost have to over think in order to "get" what the director wants you to. Even then - what a lot of people I talked to were reacting to wasn't the story - it was the special effects. They thought the movie looked cool. I just am not as impressed by that. I need to care about the people and Leonardo isn't a strong enough actor to make me do that - especially not coupled with a story that is as ambiguous as this one is.

I didn't see it when it first came out and asked people what it was about because there was all this buzz about the movie. Nobody could tell me. They would hem and mumble and say it was confusing and hard to really understand --- and they weren't really sure what happened in the end, but it was really awesome and the special effects were so cool! And I would scratch my head and wonder why a movie that couldn't tell its story properly was something to be happy about.

Maybe watching it multiple times would clear up the confusion. The real question is should we have to? I don't question the fact that it is an original concept - but I don't think the acting was done very well and I don't think the director/producer pulled off the concept if we don't get to the end of the movie and understand what we watched. That's their job - to tell us a story that we can understand.

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Lee, when I read your post, 12 Monkeys and Memento immediately came to mind. Those are just two movies that I've watched that have left me scratching my head. I'm certain I'll have the same reaction to Inception that you did. I say this because I've spoken to a few friends that have seen it, and they couldn't really tell me what it was about either.

message 6: by Davina, The Modster (last edited Jan 28, 2011 06:42PM) (new)

Lee, very interesting observations!

The juxtaposition of fantasy and reality is a big part of the Nolans' signature. Their style, heavy in the use of ambiguity, is somewhat similar to David Lynch's, but better imo.

For example, I'm more able to tell you what Inception was about rather than Muholland Drive. Although in fairness I saw Muholland Drive about 2 or so years ago while I saw Inception less than a year ago so my memory isn't at its most dependable.

Much of their storytelling is intuitive. They don't spell everything out for the audience, but instead allow you to draw your own conclusions. When done right, I think this is a very powerful form of storytelling because it allows for great discussion afterwards. Many people, for eg, still disagree on the ending.

I don't know about 12 Monkeys, but Momento & The Prestige were both written and directed by Jonathon and Christopher Nolan respectively, and they along with Inception all leave you with a sense of puzzlement after you've seen them. But its an intelligent sort of puzzlement, imo, kinda like when you're playing chess and must consider your next move judiciously. That's what I love the most about their work.

I agree that it's not one of those movies you'll completely get in the first sitting nor is it one you can escape mindlessly into. You have to pay attention or you might miss something. I actually feel like I got it all the first time around, but I want to watch it again just because I enjoyed it so much and because I've not completely made up my mind about the ending.

I also really liked the originality of the story and I thought it was fairly well acted, especially by Leonard DiCarpio who I normally don't like. He got me to care about his character which was a first. I wasn't too fond of Ellen Page's performance (I don't really like her as an actress), but everyone else was okay for me.

As for the special effects, it was good, but nothing I haven't seen before. The quality of execution I mean. So mostly what worked for me was the story and the storytelling.

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore I didn't get a chance to watch it last night, but I'm starting it now.

message 8: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Me too Michelle! I'm going to watch it tonight. Haha!

message 9: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Be sure to share your thoughts on this movie with us, ladies. I'm curious to hear what you guys thought of the ending!

message 10: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments I started the movie last night. At first, I didn't like it. But I realize I was watching while getting ready for bed, so I couldn't really focus. We started the movie again and I ended up liking it a lot more. Here are some of my thoughts. I won't go into a big thing about it for those who have yet to see it.

This was an interesting and new concept. For that I can appreciate the film. I generally don't like Leo and I still didn't like him. What I like about the film is the unpredictability of the plot. I was never 100% sure what was going to happen. The unexpected is always fascinating. I like the aspect that the focus of the film is about dreams. Anyone who has studied dreams know that there is so much that has yet to be discovered about them. It is unpredictable as well. However, it sort of scared me to think that these people were going inside other people's mind, altering their thoughts and perceptions. Very scary to me. The mind is a strong thing and we can see that when Leo makes reference towards the end about what went down with the wife. One single thought get planted so deep inside and festers until it becomes reality. So real!

I thought the movie was well written and the concept beautifully executed. Overall, I can appreciate this film. Now I'm sort of angry with myself for not seeing this when I had originally wanted to.

Dislikes: Leo! His acting does nothing for me. Also, he has alot of family drama in this yet I felt nothing emotionally from him until the end.

Ellen Page- The only reason why I think this young actress get any sort of recognition is that she did a good job in Juno. But her character required that sort of acting that she does. So I wasn't impressed with this. Really I wasn't.

There was a lot going on and at times it was distracting. Because the action and scenes moved quickly, it was hard to follow at times, making me a bit frustrated. But I understood why it was created this way by the end.

This film reminded me of Matrix. Though I understood this a bit better than Matrix, I don't like confusing flicks. To this very day, I don't know what Matrix is about and it is much larger than me. LOL! I feel a headache coming on thinking about this movie. LOL!

@ Lee, I think that the reasons people focus on the special effects was because the film became so large at one point that a person could get loss.

As far as the ending goes, I had to watch it twice. I loved it. LOL. A bit confusing.

I know my thoughts are jumbled but blame it on my lack of coffee and the fact that there was a lot to mention.

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Gosh! I think everyone here has expressed themselves so well. My thoughts are very much similar to Lee's, and like Samantha, I made the mistake of watching this one while I was tired. So I restarted this morning. I thought being hyped up on caffeine, and pumped up from walking the dogs would've somehow increased my level of understanding; wrong!

I was confused off and on throughout the entire movie. I mean, I wasn't really sure what was happening, or even why. That said, I loved the concept. I'm enjoy analyzing my own dreams and such. So it was nice to watch a film centered on dreams and the subconcious. I kept thinking, what if that nameless, faceless "they" really could do that? What if I'm dreaming right now?!

Now, I do enjoy all of the actors, especially Ken Watanabe and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Those are two men that I'd liked to see more of!

A++ for the special effects and unique concept. The ending? I found a bit confusing. I had to watch again too, and I now I just need to think about it for a minute. LOL!

message 12: by Michelle (last edited Jan 30, 2011 07:13AM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore The more I think about the ending, the more impressed I am with the overall film. I have to admit, every now and then, I do like films that leave me wondering after I'm done watching them.

message 13: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Maybe you need more caffeine if you thought I expressed myself well. I was trying to jot down as much that went through my mind.

Haha! I can totally imagine thinking "What if I'm dreaming right now?" LOL! It was scary b/c perception is reality. Know what I mean. Think about the beginning when the Asian guy is in his apartment and Leo smacks him to the carpet. For a minute he realizes he never woke up. A dream within a dream. The perception that he was awake was really there. Until the reality of his carpet forcing him to realize that he was dreaming.

I love the ending with the different layers. I made sure to pay attention to know which level they were at. I was scared the kicks wouldn't work. I mean if your three levels into it, can you be sure it would work.

The ending was freaky. To get lost in the subconscious is amazing.

message 14: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, ladies! Very descriptive and detailed responses, perfect! Use the same format when leading your MoM discussions.

Sam, with the exception of Leo's performance, you've expressed very well how I feel about the film. Dream analysis of any kind has not been explored very much on film and certainly if it has not in this way. That's why Chris gets huge props for going this route from me. I can imagine this could not have been an easy movie to shoot, and I bet the hammering out of the script (which was eight years in development! I can believe it.) left Chris, his brother and his wife (who produces all his films) with many sleepless nights.

As for Ellen Page, her style of acting, pretty much like The Social Network's Jesse Eisenberger, annoys me. I really didn't like her in Hard Candy (anyone seen this?) and I have yet to see Juno. I just was not psyched about that one.

The Matrix, will you believe that I have not seen this movie? I mean I've seen bits and pieces of it and its sequels on TV, but not the whole movie. My kids loved it when it came out, but it didn't get me all excited (which is weird because I think Keanu, when he's not sporting all the scruff, is totally HOT!).

The scene with Ken Watanabe (who I want to see more of too, hell yes! He's one fine Asian man! :) was awesome, Michelle! The authenticity of the scene kinda freaked me out. There are some dreams that are so real that while you're in it, it would never occur to you that this isn't real life. So I totally got Watanabe's reaction. Bloody awesome!

So what did you guys think of the ending? Dream or not dream?

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Davina wrote: "Thanks for sharing your thoughts, ladies! Very descriptive and detailed responses, perfect! Use the same format when leading your MoM discussions.

Sam, with the exception of Leo's performance, you..."

I say dream.

message 16: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments I immediately thought not a dream but once I watched it again, I thought dream. It makes sense to me that way.

message 17: by Davina, The Modster (new)

When I first saw the film, my first thought was not dream too because the top didn't stop spinning did it? But then my boys (husband and sons) insist that's its a dream ... so I dunno. I have to watch it again and see.

message 18: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments The top didn't stop spinning. I don't think. The way he drew the conclusion of what was happening led me to believe a dream.

message 19: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Hmmm...all very interesting. I can't remember the conclusion he drew. At the end I just focused on the top still spinning which indicated the sequence isn't a dream. But see, like I said, if one doesn't pay close attention you can miss out on a lot. I'll probably watch this again tonight.

message 20: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments I guess he realized it was a dream when he was trying to come back. Then it became the reality when he was with the kids. Now you're confusing me. I know what I mean. LOL

message 21: by Davina, The Modster (new)

LOL, sorry!

message 22: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Samantha wrote: "I guess he realized it was a dream when he was trying to come back. Then it became the reality when he was with the kids. Now you're confusing me. I know what I mean. LOL"

Now, I too think it was a dreamm, and then reality. I don't know, I keep thinking about it, and changing my mind, LOL!

message 23: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Metz | 40 comments lol

Now you mentioned The Prestige in comparison and I LOVED that movie. I thought the acting was far better and they totally pulled the wool over our eyes but when you walked out of the theater you knew what you had watched. It made me want to watch it again because I was so impressed.

Inception had a great concept. I totally agree with that. I actually have been looking into a lot of these kinds of things because they relate loosely with some of what my current WIP is about. However, all the loose ends, the head scratching, and the lackluster acting just left me with a headache and wishing I hadn't watched it.

I do think it's a brilliant and original concept. I just wish some things had been... "tweaked?" here and there. Then I think it could have been so much better. I like a movie that makes me think, but I don't like one that leaved me befuddled. lol

message 24: by Davina, The Modster (new)

I agree, Lee. The Prestige was awesome. I'm naturally predisposed to like anything that features Christian Bale or Hugh Jackman. I wouldn't say I liked it more that Inception though. I like them both equally. And while I didn't think the acting was so bad in this film if I had my way I would have cast a different leading actor. Christian or Hugh would have been just fine! :)

In fact, here's another question for you guys, which leading actor would you replace DiCaprio with if you could?

I could see Christian or Hugh in the role. James Franco would've also done great, imo. Hmmm ... who else? I'll have to think more about this.

message 25: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Great question Davina. I really would have to think about this. Franco is a good choice. I don't know if I could see Hugh in that role. He's so freaking yummy. Sorry I get derailed when his name is mentioned. But I just don't see him in that role at all. I loved The Prestige. Didn't I mention that in my favorites? LOL

message 26: by Davina, The Modster (new)

You might be right. Hugh is far too tall. But I love him and I want to see more of him in dramatic romantic roles.

message 27: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Metz | 40 comments I like your thoughts. The role calls for someone smart and active... maybe Matt Damon?

message 28: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Davina wrote: "You might be right. Hugh is far too tall. But I love him and I want to see more of him in dramatic romantic roles."

I agree.

message 29: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Matt Damon would have been perfect! I loved him in Syriana where he played a slightly similar role.

message 30: by Davina, The Modster (new)

How about Jake Gyllenhaal? His work in Rendition was quite good. Shows he has the level of intensity and emotionality the role (for Inception) requires.

message 31: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments I don't like Jake Gyllenhal at all! Matt Damon definitely :)

message 32: by Davina, The Modster (new)

LOL, Sam, you know I'm gonna ask why so why not tell us in the first place? You don't think Jake is cute? :)

message 33: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Hell No! Yikes! That's why I don't like him or his weird a$$ sister. I'm not really impressed with his acting either.

message 34: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 867 comments Davina, you had mentioned that you didn't see Juno. It's coming on the Oxygen channel at 8 p.m.

message 35: by Davina, The Modster (new)

LOL, you're funny. I don't really fancy his sister either. Haha. But I don't mind him. I'm not this super fan, but he's all right. Thx for the heads up on Juno! :)

message 36: by Azzah (new)

Azzah | 10 comments have'nt seen it yet
but i heard good review about it though

message 37: by Davina, The Modster (new)

Welcome to the group, Azzah! Inception comes highly recommended. For me it was one of the best films from 2010!

message 38: by Azzah (new)

Azzah | 10 comments Thanx Davina
I like the group, really nice
My friend saw the film and said it's amazing
I will try to download it from the internet

unread topics | mark unread