The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society discussion

Who is reading this?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 103) (103 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Maudeen Wachsmith Who is reading and LOVING this book? I can hardly wait to get back to it and try to squeeze in time whenever I can. This is an amazing read so far -- I am afraid for it to end! I may just have to read it twice.

Angela Me too! So much better than I expected!

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy I heard about this book and it is on my list to read, but wasn't sure if anyone loved it, so glad to hear you guys do.

Angela This was the most delicious and interesting book I have read for a while. It reminds me of the book 84 Charring Cross Road by Helen Hanff.It has many elemts I love: WW2 setting,humorous and informative and with an upbeat ending.

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy So good to hear positive feedback, can't wait to get started, thanks!! I'll give a review when I'm done.

message 6: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy I have finally started this book and I am also LOVING IT!! So fun and it makes me laugh out loud! (Hard for a book to do that for me) I love every character and am so amazed how well you get to know them through their letters. I am making myself take it slow, I tend to read too fast and them I'm sad when it's over.

Readstoomuch I have this on hold at our local library. I'm number four on the list, so it will be a month longer to wait for me. Glad to hear that so many of you liked this. I've read pretty good reviews here and there too.

Julia Putnam This book was one of the most delightful books I have EVER read!!! I want to know more about what happens in the characters lives - each and every one of them! What a fabulous read!

Linda I was sorry to finish this unique book. The characters were so endearing that I understood why Juliet could not bear to leave them. The ending evokes Jane Austen, and it is direct. I loved
the resolution.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Is anyone here a man? I'm a 43 year old married man and I ADORE this book. I'm wondering if some men were turned off by the "feminine" focus of this novel. Don't wait for a library copy! This is a book that you need to OWN in your own personal library!

Linda

In many ways this is an old fashioned novel about a woman
who has to choose between two men, the farmer and the city
entrepreneur. And she comes to Guernsey to write a novel
about the occupation. She makes wonderful friends and finds
true love, but she also learns some horrific things about what happened during the Occupation, the casualties of war. The novel combines romance with a dark history.

Michelle I agree with Robert, OWN this book! I can't wait to share it with all my friends. (And yes, I think my husband will also enjoy it!) I love a book with endearing, quirky characters. I loved the little bit of history I learned too. It's too bad the author has since passed away. She must have been a gem!

Heather I just finished this book this weekend and loved it! There were times when I laughed out loud and times when I got choked up. The characters were so likable and I felt like I really got to know them through their letter writing. This is one of those stories that just makes you feel all warm and cozy inside. I highly recommend it!

Dana * I may buy this book for friends and family members. My husband loved the Joy Luck Club, and I think therefore he would love this story. Even though the family here is metaphorical.

I highly recommend to anyone.

Jandteach I just started this book today and cannot wait to continue it. I too am reminded of 84 Charring Cross Road - I love the book so far.

message 16: by Sid (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sid Starnes I am enjoying this book.

Tania My library copy came available to me ... started it right away. Words to savour.

Cheers, tania (new zealand)

Sandi Lipe It took me a few pages to adjust to a book written in the form of letters but once I did, i was engrossed in the book. The author truly brought the characters to life for me - so much so that I found myself wishing I knew them. The book also made me wish we still wrote real letters - not email!

Mandy I have read this book 3 times now- and I recommended it to a male WW2 buff. His wife didn't think he'd enjoy it, but he's now read it twice and purchased it on CD...

message 20: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill I read it and really enjoyed it. I hear they're making a movie out of it so yay!

Clara Dearmore Strom I read it a couple of years ago. It's one of my favorites. Up there with James Herriot's books. Charming, but down to earth and real.

Julie I thought it was a charming novel, a fun read

Lorrie Sandi wrote: "It took me a few pages to adjust to a book written in the form of letters but once I did, i was engrossed in the book. The author truly brought the characters to life for me - so much so that I fo..."

I wondered the same with the letter format but it flowed so well. Loved that it all started with a pig the one lady was hiding from the Germans. A great book about the simple friendships that develop in trying times.

My Grandmother was a letter writer and it is a lost art sad to say.

Lorrie Brenda (Lansdowne) wrote: "If you like this one, you might like the book, The Soldier's Wife. It takes place during the same time and on the same island."

Who is the author of 'The Soldier's wife' ?

message 25: by Lori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori I read this a while ago for another book club and LOVED it! It had be laughing so hard my gut hurt at times and cry at others. Fantastic book

Julie This was a book that I would've never picked up off the shelf to read. When our local college invited readers to join a group called One Book, One Community, this is the book they chose. I have to say that I loved this book!! I'm so glad that I read it. I found it to be funny and thought-provoking. The authors painted the characters well and the letter-writing style of the book was fun to read.

message 27: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate Berkeley Oooh, I loved this book. It just made me so happy with lovely kind hearted characters and it truly reinvigorated my opinion that loveliness is out there. I was so cast down having just finished the Time Traveler's Wife and just needed something happy and cheerful to read again. This was the perfect antidote and I have been recommending it to everyone since. I might well have to tuck into The Collaborator next (UK version of The Soldier's Wife). I only hope it won't disappoint me after the lovely Guernsey Literary.

Lauren Good I saw this on the shelf at the library, thought it looked a little strange, then I saw a review on here, almost immediately went back and got it and LOVED IT. I loved the epistolary style, and I really loved the Guernsey citizen who wrote to Juliet warning her away from the "literary society." (Can't remember her name now but she was hilarious!)

Brenda, thanks for recommending "The Soldier's Wife" -- I'll check it out!

message 29: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate Berkeley Brenda, thank you for that recommendation - I'd seen it in the supermarket and had been tempted but since I've got a pile of unread books I restrained myself but i haven't been able to forget about it. Having adored Guernsey Literary..., it's particularly intriguing to have a recommendation from an equal Guernsey devotee! It'll be added to my list.

Betsy I thought this was a sweet book and certainly highlighted a part of history for me. I was totally shocked to find out that the Nazis were so close to Britain's shores.

Jennyfleur I enjoyed this book. We'd recently been to Guernsey on holiday when I read it, so it was great to read when we came back. Very atmospheric.

Jackie I finished this book the other day and I adored it! I loved the format of the book. The historian in me loved looking at the book and digging into people lives in this way. Recommended it to my history loving mother and sister-in-law.

Susan Bright When I first picked up the book months ago, I could not get into it. Then I decided to try the audio book and it was wonderful. It was read by 5 different people and was like listening to a play! Absolutely loved it!

Cassie I just put a hold on The Soldiers Wife. Thanks Brenda! I loved this book. It was so charming.

Lorrie Lorrie wrote: "Brenda (Lansdowne) wrote: "If you like this one, you might like the book, The Soldier's Wife. It takes place during the same time and on the same island."

Who is the author of 'The Soldier's wife' ?"

read 'The Soldier's Wife' liked it, thankx for the suggestion.

Amelia If you liked this book, you may be interested in the BBC series *Island at War.* It takes place on a fictional Channel Island during WWII and deals with many of the same themes.

Cassie I heard a radio show this morning on NPR about this book. Someone mentioned that his mother in law wrote a memoir of sorts called "Isolated Island". It's not listed on Goodreads though-maybe self published? I think it would be interesting to read.

Kimberley Blanc I read this book and loved it. I loved the way the story was told through letters. I've never read a book written that way. When I finished the book I wanted to move to Guernsey and live with those people . . . I know, I know, it's fiction, but that is how I felt. I loved the characters.

Jaime Just finished yesterday

Ilene I read this book a few months ago and I liked it a lot. It was a very interesting way to write a book, via letters back and forth, as well as information in the first person.

message 41: by Debi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Debi Linda wrote: " I was sorry to finish this unique book. The characters were so endearing that I understood why Juliet could not bear to leave them. The ending evokes Jane Austen, and it is direct. I loved
the..."

I felt the same way. I have recommended this book to all my friends.

Laura Kimberley wrote: "I read this book and loved it. I loved the way the story was told through letters. I've never read a book written that way. When I finished the book I wanted to move to Guernsey and live with th..."

Me too! I really loved this book and finishing it was like leaving good friends. Good thing you can re-read a book!

Emily Susan wrote: "When I first picked up the book months ago, I could not get into it. Then I decided to try the audio book and it was wonderful. It was read by 5 different people and was like listening to a play! A..."

I listen to a lot of books as I have a long commute to work. This book is a wonderful example of how audio enhances a story. Each narrator adds his or her own character to the reading and it is delightful!

Vicki It's true - this book does have elements of 84, Charing Cross Road and that made a terrific movie. I saw a movie in this book immediately. The characters would make great stories along with the conflict with the German occupiers.
I didn't want this book to end, so I read it in tiny increments.

message 45: by Tasha (new) - rated it 1 star

Tasha I had such high hopes for this book. Was very disapointed, maybe i will try the audiobook. Thanks for the suggestion.

Kitta Pálsdóttir Wonderful story - I didn´t know anything about this book and I was pleasantly supprised. Both sad and funny story. Didn´t even know this Island existed.

Nikki Madigan I read this book several years ago in about three hours. I thought it was a great book.. though right now i don't remember much about it. But I remember liking it!

Nikki Madigan Vicki wrote: "It's true - this book does have elements of 84, Charing Cross Road and that made a terrific movie. I saw a movie in this book immediately. The characters would make great stories along with the c..."

That book is really great.

Harpa Dis I read this book a few weeks ago. Now I just want to visit Guernsey. Must be a great to go there. Found on Google that they have ......OCCUPATION TOUR (WITH A GUERNSEY LITERARY AND POTATO PEEL PIE SOCIETY FLAVOUR).... oh my I wanna go :)

Pertita Eu já li,não há mt tempo, e adorei.... E pensar que só o comprei pq achei graça ao nome... O que teria perdido se o tivesse deixado lá.....

« previous 1 3

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (other topics)