The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 50.1-Melanie's task: Land Among the Stars

Comments (showing 27-76)    post a comment »

Melanie (melaina) | 270 comments Sue T wrote: "Yes, I did."

So sorry (again)!

Sue T (SueTinge) | 1113 comments Yes, I did.

message 74: by Melanie (last edited Feb 24, 2011 09:01AM) (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 270 comments Sue T wrote: "Never mind, I decided to go with something else."

I'm so sorry for not having checked my task help Sue (I was in Madrid and forgot to warn the mods!)!!! Did you get everything sorted out?

message 73: by Sue T (last edited Feb 16, 2011 02:58PM) (new)

Sue T (SueTinge) | 1113 comments Never mind, I decided to go with something else.

Lahni | 314 comments Thanks! I actually had it slotted somewhere else and decided to keep it there. It seems I'm doing a lot of shuffling lately as I try to squeeze everything in at the last.

Melanie (melaina) | 270 comments Lahni wrote: "For book C I rolled a 2. Can I use I Am the Messenger? It is a mystery but not a thriller."

That works! You can use mystery/thriller or suspense. (on a side note, I really want to read that book, lol)

Lahni | 314 comments For book C I rolled a 2. Can I use I Am the Messenger? It is a mystery but not a thriller.

Deedee | 1083 comments Melanie wrote: "Deedee wrote: "For Part A, when you say that "variations" are accepted, does that mean "star-crossed" will work as a variaton of "star"? As in:
Songs of Love and Death: All-Original Tales o..."</i>

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm planning to use [book:Songs of Love and Death: All-Original Tales of Star-Crossed Love
for Part A ..... unless I decide at the last minute to use something else and put it into 30.3 instead :0)

Melanie (melaina) | 270 comments Deedee wrote: "For Part A, when you say that "variations" are accepted, does that mean "star-crossed" will work as a variaton of "star"? As in:
[book:Songs of Love and Death: All-Original Tales of Star-Crossed ..."

That would definitely work!

As long as the word *star* keeps its meaning:-) for example knight wouldn't work since it has nothing to do with "night":-)

Deedee | 1083 comments For Part A, when you say that "variations" are accepted, does that mean "star-crossed" will work as a variaton of "star"? As in:
Songs of Love and Death: All-Original Tales of Star-Crossed Love ?

Thanks!

message 66: by Miriam (last edited Jan 30, 2011 11:09AM) (new)

Miriam Re-reading the challenge I realize I'm fine. So I deleted my post.

Nonodisco | 179 comments Awesome. Thanks!

Melanie (melaina) | 270 comments Nonodisco wrote: "Just a couple of questions:

1. For Part A, is the word "lunar" acceptable as a variation on "moon"?

2. I rolled a 4 for Part C, and I'd like to read Ficciones-- is this acceptable a..."

"lunar" will work:-)

Sera Melanie wrote: "Sera wrote: "Hi, Melanie.

Are sub-titles acceptable? I'd like to read My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands if you approve it for Part A of the task."

yes, approved! ..."

Yay! Thanks, Melanie.

Melanie (melaina) | 270 comments Nonodisco wrote: "Just a couple of questions:

2. I rolled a 4 for Part C, and I'd like to read Ficciones-- is this acceptable a..."

I will get back to you for your first question (I'm in London for the evening, but will post an answer to it tomorrow morning EST).. At first glance, I want to say yes, but will check with the moderators:-)

2 - Yes, Fictions seems to be a collection of short stories which feature a couple of fantastic stories, so I will accept it.

Melanie (melaina) | 270 comments Sera wrote: "Hi, Melanie.

Are sub-titles acceptable? I'd like to read My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands if you approve it for Part A of the task."

yes, approved! subtitles are accepted (series names as wel!) Enjoy!

Nonodisco | 179 comments Just a couple of questions:

2. I rolled a 4 for Part C, and I'd like to read Ficciones-- is this acceptable as a fantasy book? It's obviously not the traditional sword-and-sorcery, but it does appear as #14 on the List of Highbrow Fantasy Books.

message 59: by Sera (last edited Jan 25, 2011 12:02PM) (new)

Sera Hi, Melanie.

Are sub-titles acceptable? I'd like to read My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands if you approve it for Part A of the task.

Melanie (melaina) | 270 comments Stacie wrote: "Melanie wrote: "Stacie wrote: "I know the first book of the Fables graphic novel series will fit for a fairytale retelling, but will other books in the series work as well?"

Are the other books in..."

It looks fine to me:-)

Melanie (melaina) | 270 comments Gayla wrote: "Does the change to the task for the Kin list mean that I can use any book with "Wife" in the title?"

If a word on the Kin list tags is "wife", yes, you may:-D

Gayla Bassham (Sophronisba) | 633 comments Does the change to the task for the Kin list mean that I can use any book with "Wife" in the title?

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1308 comments Melanie wrote: "Stacie wrote: "I know the first book of the Fables graphic novel series will fit for a fairytale retelling, but will other books in the series work as well?"

Are the other books in the series fa..."

I'm looking at the fourth installment, Fables: March of the Wooden Soldiers, which I know has the same characters as the early part of the series, but not sure what it is about yet. If it doesn't work, I do have other options.

Melanie (melaina) | 270 comments Jayalalita wrote: "For Part C I rolled a 5... would Oscar and Lucinda perhaps work, being set in 19th century Australia, with the characters setting out to build a church in the outback?"

The time period is right, so go for it:-)

Jayalalita devi dasi (lonelylorelei) | 87 comments For Part C I rolled a 5... would Oscar and Lucinda perhaps work, being set in 19th century Australia, with the characters setting out to build a church in the outback?

Melanie (melaina) | 270 comments Bea wrote: "Thanks, Melanie. Now to find one for part C.

Would The Pony Wife by Beverly Bird work? I need a western book. This one seems to meet the requirements: American ..."

Sounds good:-D go for it!

Bea | 1488 comments Thanks, Melanie. Now to find one for part C.

Would The Pony Wife by Beverly Bird work? I need a western book. This one seems to meet the requirements: American West, mid-1800s, and 453pp.

Melanie (melaina) | 270 comments Bea wrote: "Melanie wrote: "Bea wrote: "I rolled a 5 for part Could I use Ghost Singer: A Novel b..."

OK. Still looking for part C then Stacie.

Part A: Illumination Night

P..."

It would definitely work!!!!
(the list is just for ideas, since the books are famous)

Bea | 1488 comments Melanie wrote: "Bea wrote: "I rolled a 5 for part Could I use Ghost Singer: A Novel b..."

OK. Still looking for part C then Stacie.

Part A: Illumination Night

Part B: The Sabbath

I am picking The Sabbath because my reading of the task is to read something that has had an impact on my life. I looked at the suggested list and none really struck me as directly related to who I am now even though I have read some of them. I chose this book as I am a Jew by Choice and the practices of the Sabbath used to be very important to me. I would like to get back to some of them but have the complication of having not married a Jew. So...this book has the potential of helping me figure out how to increase practices that once meant a lot to me in my current situation. Would it work?

Melanie (melaina) | 270 comments Stacie wrote: "I know the first book of the Fables graphic novel series will fit for a fairytale retelling, but will other books in the series work as well?"

Are the other books in the series fairytales/folktales/legend retellings or variations? If so, you may use them, but you need to justify yourself! If you tell me which book you want to read, I'll have a look at it and let you know..

Melanie (melaina) | 270 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Graphic novels work if they meet the 100 page requirement"

Thx Dlmrose!!

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1308 comments I know the first book of the Fables graphic novel series will fit for a fairytale retelling, but will other books in the series work as well?

Dlmrose | 6913 comments Mod
Graphic novels work if they meet the 100 page requirement

Melanie (melaina) | 270 comments Miriam wrote: "Melanie wrote: "Miriam wrote: "Now, another question. I have the first 4 of the Fable graphic novel series. I'm not sure the first one equals 100 pages, but would it be o.k. if I used the first, s..."

Ok then:-) Do you still need me to check with the moderators? (sorry for the delays, I'm in Switzerland, so I'm not on US times!)

Miriam Melanie wrote: "Miriam wrote: "Now, another question. I have the first 4 of the Fable graphic novel series. I'm not sure the first one equals 100 pages, but would it be o.k. if I used the first, say, 3?"

Was t..."

Thanks Melanie. FYI, Gayla pointed out above that the first Fables graphic novel is 128 pages (which means it should be fine by itself), but if it doesn't work, I'm equally happy using the Autobiography of Red

Melanie (melaina) | 270 comments Miriam wrote: "The other book I was considering is Autobiography of Red,..."

You can use legends(even Greek ones) as long as you refer to the legend your book is based on!

Melanie (melaina) | 270 comments Miriam wrote: "Now, another question. I have the first 4 of the Fable graphic novel series. I'm not sure the first one equals 100 pages, but would it be o.k. if I used the first, say, 3?"

Was this for C-3? I'm going to see with the moderators how graphic novels work out and get back to you in a couple hours:-)

Melanie (melaina) | 270 comments Bea wrote: "I rolled a 5 for part C. I need to read a western which is defined as 1807-1912 in America or during Australian Outback settlement.

Could I use Ghost Singer: A Novel by [author:An..."

Sorry, I'm going to say no: It would have to be set during the 19th century. If there were actual ghosts and if you rolled a C-4, you could use it..

Melanie (melaina) | 270 comments Judy wrote: "For part B I rolled a 6- historical fiction. Would a historical romance qualify for this task (as long as it meets the 30 yr requirement?) Thanks!"

Historical romance definitely works:-)

message 38: by Bea (last edited Jan 21, 2011 04:36AM) (new)

Bea | 1488 comments I rolled a 5 for part C. I need to read a western which is defined as 1807-1912 in America or during Australian Outback settlement.

Could I use Ghost Singer: A Novel by Anna Lee Walters? The story is based upon a kidnapping and murder which occurred in 1830 in Navajo country. However, it is a more cuurent setting for solving that old crime.

Judy | 276 comments For part B I rolled a 6- historical fiction. Would a historical romance qualify for this task (as long as it meets the 30 yr requirement?) Thanks!

Miriam That's good to know. I haven't read them yet, but they do look like fun. My husband raced through them in a couple of days.

The other book I was considering is Autobiography of Red, would that also work? I really like this category. The only problem is I've read a lot of fairy tale/myth adaptations, so my choice is narrower.

Gayla Bassham (Sophronisba) | 633 comments It looks like the first book in the Fable series has 128 pages: Fables: Legends in Exile. That series is a lot of fun, isn't it?

Miriam Now, another question. I have the first 4 of the Fable graphic novel series. I'm not sure the first one equals 100 pages, but would it be o.k. if I used the first, say, 3?

Miriam Melanie wrote: "Miriam wrote: "May I add a book to the Kin list and use it? I'm reading Sins of the Seventh Sister right now, which fits the category."

I'll accept any words with family names: brother, sister, ..."

Thanks!

NickiUK | 284 comments Melanie wrote: "Nicki wrote: "Just checking wheher The Fairy Godmother would be OK for C part 4 (fantasy or paranormal)? It's mostly shelved under fantasy but is based in a fairytale land (and is on t..."

Thanks so much :)

Melanie (melaina) | 270 comments Miriam wrote: "May I add a book to the Kin list and use it? I'm reading Sins of the Seventh Sister right now, which fits the category."

I'll accept any words with family names: brother, sister, mother, father, aunt, uncle. (I'll post the clarification in the second post) So yes, you may use it:-)

Melanie (melaina) | 270 comments Deedee wrote: "For Part A [Read a book with a star or moon on the cover.]
in this task, is the sun a star? As in:

Dying of the Light by George R.R. Martin

Thanks!"

Sorry, but no sun (the point is to have nighttime words)!

Miriam May I add a book to the Kin list and use it? I'm reading Sins of the Seventh Sister right now, which fits the category.

Deedee | 1083 comments For Part A [Read a book with a star or moon on the cover.]
in this task, is the sun a star? As in:

Dying of the Light by George R.R. Martin

Thanks!

Melanie (melaina) | 270 comments Beth NC wrote: "Just checking to see if the rabbit on this cover is ok for an animal for part B Leo
Sixty-One Nails (Courts of the Feyre, #1) by Mike Shevdon"

It'll work:-)

« previous 1
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Shadowfever (other topics)
Acquainted with the Night (other topics)
Dog Tags (other topics)
The Little Prince (other topics)
Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Anna Lee Walters (other topics)
Beverly Bird (other topics)