The Life of a Book Addict discussion

Reading Group Challenge for 2011 > Karen's 2011 TBR Challenge

Comments (showing 1-45 of 45) (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (last edited Dec 31, 2011 01:44PM) (new)

Karen | 93 comments 1. Decline and Fall - Evelyn Waugh Done 7/14
2. Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh Done 8/20
3. The Nine Tailors - Dorothy Sayers Done 9/9
4. Case Histories - Kate Atkinson Done 10/21
5. Family History - Dani Shapiro Done 5/26
6. Black & White Dani Shapiro Done 9/22
7. The Unpossessed -Tess Slesinger Done 5/8
8. Palladian - Elizabeth Taylor Done 3/24
9. Shakespeare and Company - Sylvia Beach Done 5/21
10.[[book:Detective Inspector Huss|730839]- Helene Tursten Done 12/31
11.[[book:Winesburg, Ohio|80176] - Sherwood Anderson Done 7/30
12. Madame De Treymes and Three Novellas - Edith Wharton Done 9/5

Alternates

1. Playback - Raymond Chandler Done 5/23
2. Nightwood - Djuna Barnes Done 08/28

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen | 93 comments I had a hard time choosing. Dozens more that have been on my TBR for several years were again left out.

message 3: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 520 comments Brideshead Revisited is one of my favourite books ever hope you enjoy it.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (goaway) Winesburg, Ohio and Brideshead Revisited are both ones I want to get to, too, but I didn't put them on my list this year for this challenge. So many books, so little time.

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen | 93 comments Eh, a slow reading year. Now reading #8 on the list, Palladian (Virago Modern Classics) by Elizabeth Taylor. Nothing else on the list touched.

message 6: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 107 comments Karen! I didn't know you were here. If you're anything like me, you'll try to read them all in the last couple months of the year . . .

message 7: by Karen (last edited Mar 25, 2011 08:18AM) (new)

Karen | 93 comments Probably! Though I'm going to read the Slesinger for BookBalloon NYRB next month.

message 8: by Lea (new)

Lea (Leaspot) | 2649 comments Winesburg, Ohio has been on my list forever. I thought about putting it on my list too. Good luck!

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen | 93 comments I'm starting the second book on my list, The Unpossessed by Tess Slesinger. Other books and other life activities have been in the way.

message 10: by Karen (new)

Karen | 93 comments Finished the second book on my list - I'll probably be reading most of these at the end of the year as library holds are now taking priority for the next month.

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen | 93 comments Starting the third book for my challenge - Shakespeare and Company by Sylvia Beach, I bought this book nine years ago, along with a lot of other Paris in the twenties/Lost Generation stuff but never got around to it.

message 12: by Karen (last edited May 26, 2011 02:43PM) (new)

Karen | 93 comments I'm starting on the fifth book for my challenge, Family History

message 13: by Karen (new)

Karen | 93 comments On to book # 6, Decline and Fall by Evelyn Waugh.

message 14: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (new)

Mary (Marbear) (mbeth45) | 10207 comments Mod
Hi Karen. Great list. I actually haven't read any of the books on your list. That doesn't happen very often. LOL! Happy reading!

Marbear

message 15: by Karen (new)

Karen | 93 comments Thanks. Almost halfway done.

message 16: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (EllieArcher) | 1916 comments I loved 1-4 on your list. I love everything by Kate Atkinson & most stuff by Dorothy Sayers.

I've never heard of Detective Inspector Huss. I'll be interested in your comments on it.

Great job with your list!

message 17: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) | 3456 comments Great list !! I haven't read any of them, but love Dorothy Sayers also. I love most mysteries so will probably be adding several from your list to my tbr pile. I'm definitely an addict! LOL

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen | 93 comments I've read all the Sayers in order and got stalled on Nine Tailors. I've heard only wonderful things about Atkinson. I heard the Detective Inspector Huss reviewed favorably on NPR's Fresh Air. This is the first one, she's since written two others.

message 19: by Shay (new)

Shay | 491 comments Karen wrote: "I've read all the Sayers in order and got stalled on Nine Tailors. I've heard only wonderful things about Atkinson. I heard the Detective Inspector Huss reviewed favorably on NPR's Fresh Air. This ..."

Quite a few people don't like the Sayer's series until after he and Harriet Vane marry.

message 20: by Karen (new)

Karen | 93 comments I've liked most of them pretty well, I think Harriet Vane has been in two so far. I think I got stalled on this one because Peter is out of his London setting (rural Scotland) and the subject matter, bell-ringing, is pretty obscure. But I am determined to do it this time!

message 21: by KarenLee (new)

KarenLee | 474 comments I really like Dorothy L. Sayers and was especially fond of The Nine Tailors.

I haven't read Detective Inspector Huss and have just requested the eBook from my library. Thanks

message 22: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) | 3456 comments I won a copy of The Attenbury Emeralds and loved it. Think they had been married several years by then.

message 23: by Shay (last edited Jul 12, 2011 02:25PM) (new)

Shay | 491 comments Martha wrote: "I won a copy of The Attenbury Emeralds and loved it. Think they had been married several years by then."

I'm sure you're right. I haven't read them in years- maybe 25? I think I discovered Sayers after I ran out of Agatha Christie books. I just re-read the first one in the series. I really hate reading a book that's so "genteel" and then coming across anti-Jewish statements. I know it was a different time, but it's horrible to read. Kind of put me off continuing the series. I don't remember that the first time I read the book. Oh, well, old age.

message 24: by Karen (new)

Karen | 93 comments That's interesting about the anti-Jewish stuff. I was reading recently about controversial stuff in Nancy Drews. I guess it went over me at the time. And I wish I hadn't let my mother give away ALL my Nancy Drews (though the library benefited). I'd like to have a couple as souvenirs.

I don't even know about this Attenbury Emeralds. Was it recently discovered? I just thought I had three novels left - Nine Tailors, Gaudy Night and Busyman's Honeymoon (plus a few stories).

message 25: by Karen (new)

Karen | 93 comments KarenLee, you'll probably get to Unspector Huss before I do, I look forward to hearing your comments.

message 26: by Shay (new)

Shay | 491 comments Karen wrote: "That's interesting about the anti-Jewish stuff. I was reading recently about controversial stuff in Nancy Drews. I guess it went over me at the time. And I wish I hadn't let my mother give away ALL..."

It was a weird anti-Semitism in that he says a lot of negative things about Jews in general. Yet, the Jewish character was made to be a good, moral, family man.

message 27: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) | 3456 comments The Attenbury emeralds was written by Jill Patton Walsh. I believe notes or a partial manuscript of Sayers were found which she used. She's done 3 books of Sayers I think. I can't do a link here b/c I'm on my iPhone.

message 28: by Karen (last edited Jul 18, 2011 07:05AM) (new)

Karen | 93 comments I'm starting Winesburg, Ohio today, which will be #7 on my list.

message 29: by Mary (Marbear), Founder (new)

Mary (Marbear) (mbeth45) | 10207 comments Mod
Karen wrote: "That's interesting about the anti-Jewish stuff. I was reading recently about controversial stuff in Nancy Drews. I guess it went over me at the time. And I wish I hadn't let my mother give away ALL..."

Hi Karen. I read all the Nancy Drew and alot of The Hardy Boy books. I remember watching The Hardy Boys on tv. I was so in love with Shaun Cassidy. Now I'm dating myself. Those were the good ole days.

marbear

message 30: by Karen (last edited Jul 28, 2011 07:47PM) (new)

Karen | 93 comments Finished Winesburg, Ohio, seven done.

message 31: by Karen (last edited Aug 11, 2011 11:32AM) (new)

Karen | 93 comments Starting on my eighth book, #2 on the list, Brideshead Revisited.

message 32: by Karen (new)

Karen | 93 comments I finished Brideshead Revisitedthis morning. I really enjoyed it and am glad to have it off the TBR, where it's been for at least ten years. Now I'm looking forward to watching the PBS miniseries.

message 33: by Karen (last edited Aug 26, 2011 02:51PM) (new)

Karen | 93 comments Starting Nightwood.

message 34: by Shay (new)

Shay | 491 comments Karen wrote: "Starting on my eighth book, #2 on the list, Brideshead Revisited."

Have you read Mad World: Evelyn Waugh and the Secrets of Brideshead by Paula Byrne? I started it but put it aside for a challenge book. It's about Waugh's relationship to the "real" family that inspired the Marchmain family. Although I had just started it, it was good.

message 35: by Karen (new)

Karen | 93 comments I've heard of that, Shay, and would be interested in reading it in the future. Report back if you finish it.

message 36: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (EllieArcher) | 1916 comments Shay-that's gotta go on my TBR-it looks fascinating.

message 37: by Karen (new)

Karen | 93 comments Finished #9, although that includes my two alternates. Three books for the goal, five if I do the entire list.

message 38: by Karen (last edited Sep 21, 2011 08:10AM) (new)

Karen | 93 comments Karen wrote: "1.Decline and Fall - Evelyn Waugh Done 7/14
2.Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh Done 8/20
3.The Nine Tailors - Dorothy Sayers
4.[book:Case Histori..."

Now finished with eleven books, though I plan on reading all three remaining on my list.

message 39: by Karen (new)

Karen | 93 comments Karen wrote: "1.Decline and Fall - Evelyn Waugh Done 7/14
2.Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh Done 8/20
3.The Nine Tailors - Dorothy Sayers Done 9/9
4.Cas..."</i>

Starting
[book:Black & White

message 40: by Karen (last edited Oct 21, 2011 02:54PM) (new)

Karen | 93 comments Now finished Case Histories by Kate Atkinson, the 13th out of my 14 books.

message 41: by Karen (new)

Karen | 93 comments Just started Detective Inspector Huss by Helene Tursten, the 14th book on my list.

message 42: by Karen (new)

Karen | 93 comments Finished all fourteen books! Woo hoo!

message 43: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 107 comments Congratulations Karen!

message 44: by Karen (new)

Karen | 93 comments Thanks, Miriam. Didn't make my 75 though. But I improved from last year and I agree, quality should trump quantity.

message 45: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 107 comments Exactly.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Nine Tailors (other topics)
Nightwood (other topics)
Case Histories (other topics)
Shakespeare and Company (other topics)
The Unpossessed (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kate Atkinson (other topics)