Readers Against Prejudice and Racism discussion

Introductions > Hi from Danielle

Comments (showing 1-22 of 22) (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (last edited Jan 17, 2011 09:05AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 101 comments Hi Ronyell. Thanks for starting this group and the invite. I live in Texas, I love to read, write, watch movies, the outdoors and animals, and I love diversity. I hate prejudice and racism--it's completely stupid to hate someone because of the color of their skin, their faith, or their beliefs. I don't get why people can't accept that everyone is not the same. I hope that one day that message that the world is a better place for all the diverse and unique people in it comes across to everyone.

message 2: by Autumn (new)

Autumn   (sweetdenial) | 6 comments ((((((((((Danielle))))))))))))))))

glad to have u in the group as well!!

and i, agree with your take on prejudice and racism. very well said my friend!! xxxxxx

Atumn

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 101 comments Hi Atumn! Thanks!!! Glad you joined!

message 4: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Ronyell (Rabbitearsblog) | 704 comments Mod
Hey Danielle!! Glad you joined the group!! I agree with you about how it is just silly that people still show prejudice and racism towards everyone else different from them. I think the world will be a better place if people just learn to accept other cultures for what they are.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 101 comments Ronyell, it's such a waste of time to have racial/ethnic prejudice. Get over it and get educated past the fear of differences, you know?

message 6: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Ronyell, it's such a waste of time to have racial/ethnic prejudice. Get over it and get educated past the fear of differences, you know?"

Exactly! Whenever you share a deep hatred for a race or a culture, it's holding back your life and people just need to get over their hatred of other cultures to move on in life.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 101 comments It's really sad to hold onto that kind of baggage, which is mainly just fear. On the other side of the fear is the realization that people aren't really different underneath whatever the surface distinctions might suggest.

message 8: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Exactly! I think that people just need to stop fearing the other cultures and start understanding their cultures to see where they're coming from.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 101 comments If you don't know, it's very easy to find out nowadays. The internet has lots of resources for information about different cultures, or you can read books, or ask someone respectfully about their culture.

message 10: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Yeah, thank goodness for technology!

message 12: by Sara (new)

Sara | 13 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "If you don't know, it's very easy to find out nowadays. The internet has lots of resources for information about different cultures, or you can read books, or ask someone respectfully about their ..."

Just because something is online, doesn't mean it is factual.
I have read several things online about Islam, and being Muslim, I know that these so called facts are wrong, but not everyone who reads them will know that.
I think the main problem here is that most people take things at face value & don't try to further pursue any information that they hear or read.
To get the full facts on anything, you have to check several sources and then stop and try to understand what the common theme is between all those sources; that would probably be closer to the truth than anything you would get from reading just one book or article.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 101 comments I totally agree, Sara. But it's better to do some educating then not to see out answers. I had a feeling someone would say that, and I don't disagree.

message 14: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (ReinventingtheSpiel) | 49 comments Mod
Well said Sara!

message 15: by Gundula (new)

Gundula | 128 comments Sara wrote: "Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "If you don't know, it's very easy to find out nowadays. The internet has lots of resources for information about different cultures, or you can read books..."

Well said, and that is one of the problems with the internet, there is so much anonymity, so individuals can post whatever rants etc. they so choose (I've seen that with information about other groups, it's a real problem). Everyone always talks about freedom of expression, but with freedom of expression there is also (or at least there should be) responsibility, and to me, racist or prejudicial tirades have nothing to do with freedom of speech, and everything to do with hatred (and also, many of the racists and bigots that use "free speech" as their mantra, would gladly take away the free speech of anyone not in tune with their philosophies if they ever achieved power).

message 16: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

Very well said Gundula! I agree that the internet sort of harbors too much hatred among other people. I mean look at YouTube, there is constantly racist or sexist remarks about other people or cultures and there should be something in the rules that you cannot say such horrible things to other people like that. I believe in freedom of speech also, but if it means that everyone can say sexist or racist remarks about other people without learning about the consequences, than there should be a limit as to what people say so that way it would not cause any harm to the other person.

message 17: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Davie (kathydavie) | 100 comments Gundula wrote: "Sara wrote: "Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "If you don't know, it's very easy to find out nowadays. The internet has lots of resources for information about different cultures, or you c..."

Yeah, free speech is such an excuse for some groups. Think of the KKK, Hitler groups, and the fundamentalist Muslims. Free speech is supposed to be for EVERYbody on all sides of the spectrum! I want free speech for ME. This means I MUST tolerate it for all.

message 18: by Gundula (new)

Gundula | 128 comments Lady Lavender wrote: "What do you think about illegal aliens?"

First of all, I really hate that phrase "illegal aliens" as if these people were not humans, but creatures from another planet. I think this is a problematic question, but as an immigrant myself, and when one remembers that North America (Canada, the USA, Mexico) is a land of immigrants, I have nothing but contempt for anti-immigration feelings and groups, or those racist individuals who somehow believe that all or most crime etc. is created by immigrants. Individuals who have come to the USA or Canada illegally are or can be a problem at times, but many individuals and many groups use this to attack all immigrants, but especially to attack all immigrants who are members of visible minorities.

message 19: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Davie (kathydavie) | 100 comments I know what you mean! Look out for the MIB!! There are good and bad in any group you can put a label to whether they're rich or poor, white or black or yellow or red or purple (!), male or female, adult or children.

Although. I do have a problem with immigrants who want this country to be their old country. If one emigrate to America, then one should plan on getting along. Please, do keep the original culture of one's country and blend it in with our potluck to make the US even better.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I have never felt bad toward anyone who came in legally but as a tax payer I don't like to pay for everything for people who are NOT paying taxes. I lived in San Antonio, TX for a long time and saw many things. Sometimes its a giant giveaway but NOT for tax paying citizens. Its quite amazing really. Why should US citizens support the world? We are extraordinarily helpful to all but often taken advantage of in many undocumented ways. You really have to live along the border to see what is going on.

We are going to Forks soon so I need to cut back on everything for awhile as I will be off line.

message 21: by Ronyell, Your Humble Creator! (new)

I agree with Gundula about how the phrase "illegal aliens" is a bit offensive. It's like they are saying that immigrants are not really apart of the human race and everyone's human! Also, some immigrants came to America to find a better life, especially when coming from a war zoned country and labeling them as "aliens" is not fair.

message 22: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Davie (kathydavie) | 100 comments Lady Lavender wrote: "I have never felt bad toward anyone who came in legally but as a tax payer I don't like to pay for everything for people who are NOT paying taxes. I lived in San Antonio, TX for a long time and sa..."

Just finished this great book by John Ringo, Citadel, and in it he has the President of the U.S. telling the rest of the world that "yeah, the US will, as usual, protect the Earth from the nasty alien [sorry] invaders BUT, the orbital defense stations are going to worry about protecting those countries which are contributing to the defense costs. If we have time and the weapons available, we'll consider protecting the rest of ya..." Made me wonder why we can't do this kind of thing for real...

unread topics | mark unread