Chicks On Lit discussion

Other Hot Book Discussions > Book Recommendations: 5-star reads

Comments (showing 1-50 of 51) (51 new)    post a comment »

Elizabeth (Alaska) This is my shelf of 5 star reads. I believe I have included a review of most of them, so in addition to the usual Goodreads summary, you can also get my own personal opinion.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

Irene | 1712 comments I thought "Olive Kitteridge" was very well written.

"Let the Great World Spin" is well crafted and drew in the reader easily.

I personally loved "The Ministry of Impossible Cases" but it is dark and I found many people to whom I recommended it found it difficult to understand. The main character is the typical anti-hero often found in Yiddish literature.

"The Namesake" is very well written and captures the Indian American experience well, the reader is given a glimpse into the tension of first generation immigrants.

Lots more, but this a start.

Becca | 54 comments OH I love this!!!

I agree with some of the above (adding some to me must read list)and would add:

What Is the What

and now I need to look back and see what else!

Annie Hartman (AnnieBananie) | 10 comments I am currently reading The Help with another good reads group and I am loving it! I would definitely recommend it.
Also...
Anything Jodi Picoult I would recommend and I personally love Franz Kafka-- his books are a little out there, existentialistic, and short but I love them!
The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass is one of my all time favorites :)
I'm sure there are many many more! Do enjoy!

Sherin Punnilath (Shery_7) | 3158 comments The hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy
Gone with the Wind
Three men in a boat

message 10: by Nadia (last edited Jan 17, 2011 09:19AM) (new)

Nadia (bagambo) Dracula
Cat's Cradle
Good Morning, Midnight
Interpreter of Maladies
The Housekeeper and The Professor
The Wind-up Bird Chronicle
Under Western Eyes
The Unit
A Confederacy of Dunces

those are some of my favorite reads!

Monica (Imelda85) | 458 comments This book is popular right now and for good reason! I'm barely half way through it, but I can already rate it a 5 star read! (If that isn't a testament to what an amazing book this is, I don't know what is!) Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption Read it now! :)

A lesser known, quality ghost story is The Little Stranger. It was so unsettling, odd and creepy; I loved it!

A great emotional, family saga that I had had on my TBR shelf for years and finally read was I Know This Much Is True.

Becca | 54 comments Monica wrote: "This book is popular right now and for good reason! I'm barely half way through it, but I can already rate it a 5 star read! (If that isn't a testament to what an amazing book this is, I don't kn..."

Unbroken is next, can't wait! Might have to put aside what I'm currently reading!

Jennifer W | 1507 comments Some of my lesser known 5 stars include:

The Ladies Auxiliary
Antigone (a play)
Song Yet Sung (especially if you can get it on audio)
Chasing Fireflies
Sugar Land: A Novel
The Virgin of Small Plains

Annie Hartman (AnnieBananie) | 10 comments It would be great if you could post the list in it's entirety on here if you are compiling the titles. I would love to see it!

Shay | 284 comments Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry. I don't even like westerns, but this is a book that I fell in love with. Complex and interesting characters.

Becca | 54 comments O I love Larry McMurtry. Forgot about him! Read everything he wrote.

Also Pat Conroy.

Both authors I didn't think I would like and ended up loving.

message 18: by Monica (last edited Jan 20, 2011 02:32PM) (new)

Monica (Imelda85) | 458 comments Oh, I forgot about Lonesome Dove! One of my favorites! Such an amazing book!

Becky (DivaDog) | 1015 comments Great idea and lots of great books you have had on here! Here are a few more:

To Kill a Mockingbird
My Name is Mary Sutter (whoops - see it was added)
The Help
The Killer Angels
Angle of Repose

message 20: by Magdalena (last edited Feb 01, 2011 04:56PM) (new)

Magdalena Parker (MagdalenaParker) This is my suggestion, I know they mostly classics but I am a classics lover.

The Woman in White
Jane Austen's Persuasion
The Mysteries of Udolpho

The Other Boleyn Girl
The Shadow of the Wind

Becky (DivaDog) | 1015 comments Cool! Can't wait to see the final list.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Thanks for compiling the list, Brenda. Some good ones on there, and many I'm hoping to get to.

Marialyce It is a wonderful list, Brenda. Thank you!

Terri | 95 comments Until We Meet Again - a Holocaust true story which is haunting and also hopeful. Beautiful.

Those Who Save Us - Another Holocaust story, but fiction.

The Secret Life of Bees - One of my all time favorites that I love to reread.

Laura K | 264 comments Awesome list Brenda! Iintend to print it out and check out the ones I've not read. Thanks!

Magdalena Parker (MagdalenaParker) This is wonderful, Thank you!!!

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1770 comments Thanks Brenda, my book lover friend!! Great list!!

Susan Wow, I clicked on the first few and wow wow wow--here goes my TBR list again!!!! Thank you Brenda!!

Nancy (Colorado) | 808 comments WOW!!! Thanks so much for compiling this!

Brenda (Lansdowne) wrote: "Here's our 5-star List. I added Elizabeth's most recent three. Check out her shelf for other suggestions. Sorry for the duplicates and omissions if any.

The Elegance of the Hedgehog
The True St..."

message 30: by Sherin (last edited Feb 02, 2011 08:45AM) (new)

Sherin Punnilath (Shery_7) | 3158 comments Here's the final list without duplicates,in alphabetical order.

A Confederacy of Dunces
A Thousand Splendid Suns
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass
Angels & Demons
Angle of Repose
Antigone
Beach Music
Cat's Cradle
Chasing Fireflies
Dracula
East of Eden
Fall of Giants
Far from the Madding Crowd
Freedom
Gilead
Gone With the Wind
Good Morning, Midnight
I Know This Much Is True
Little Bee
Little Stranger
My Name is Mary Sutter
North and South
Open: An Autobiography
Persuasion
Prodigal Summer
Revolutionary Road
Snow Falling on Cedars
Song Yet Sung
Still Alice
Sugar Land: A Novel
The Bookseller of Kabul
The Cider House Rules
The Da Vinci Code
The Diary of a Nobody
The Elegance of the Hedgehog
The Gargoyle
The Girl Who Chased the Moon
The Help
The Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy
The Housekeeper and the Professor
The interpreter of Maladies
The Killer Angels
The Kite Runner
The Ladies Auxiliary
The Mysteries of Udolpho
The Namesake
The Other Boleyn Girl
The Princesse de Cleves
The Red Tent
The Secret Life of Bees
The Shadow of the Wind
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle
The True Story of Hansel and Gretel
The Unit
The Virgin of Small Plains
The Wind-up Bird Chronicle
The Woman in White
Those Who Save Us
Three men in a Boat
To Kill a Mockingbird
Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption
Under Western Eyes
Until We Meet Again
Water for Elephants
What is the What

Nancy (Colorado) | 808 comments I think that over the years I have read 27 of the above-mentioned books and there are some others on my TBR list. What is that saying: "So many books, so little time!" Looking forward to summer vacation!!!!!

Megan Underwood | 267 comments Thanks for the list! I should never run out of books to read again.

Nancy (Colorado) | 808 comments Happy Reading!!

Dianne Thank you Brenda and Sherin you both put a lot of work into this.
I made a copy to carry around with me

Terri | 95 comments Thanks Brenda and Sherin: I've read 15 of the books and am looking forward to reading the rest!

Becky (DivaDog) | 1015 comments Nice - I have read 28, and look forward to catching up on the rest.

Thank you Brenda and Sherin for putting this together!

message 37: by Becca (last edited Feb 06, 2011 09:24AM) (new)

Becca | 54 comments 33! And so many more to read...
Thanks for compiling the list, and thanks to who evers idea this was!!

Sherin Punnilath (Shery_7) | 3158 comments My pleasure.. :)

C.J. Archer (CJArcher) I'm looking for something new to read so this list is timely. Thanks!

Raechel | 19 comments I really enjoyed "My Name is Mary Sutter"

Her Royal Orangeness (OnlyOrangery) If it's not too late to make suggestions, I have a couple I'd like to mention. I'm surprised at how little reader lovin' these books have gotten. :)

I recently read a book that I thought was utterly amazing - The Art of Disappearing by Ivy Pochoda.

Another much under appreciated book that I loved was Kindred by Octavia E. Butler.

Becca | 54 comments Brenda (Lansdowne) wrote: "Becca wrote: "33! And so many more to read...
Thanks for compiling the list, and thanks to who evers idea this was!!"

You're welcome. It was my idea. I put the list together, and Sherin alphab..."

GO TEAM!

Louise | 57 comments These book are some of my all time favourites :-)

Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie
Night Train to Lisbon by Pascal Mercier
The Darkest Room by Johan Theorin
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Julie (julmille) | 388 comments Wow, I guess I have some more reading to do...I have only read 8 of these books...

Ashley (ashleylaura87) | 10 comments This book was by far one of the best I've ever read:
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Erin (erinkurup) Love this idea! I second My Name is Mary Sutter and The Book Thief. I just finished I Capture the Castle and LOVED it! One Amazing Thing and The Cailiffs of Baghdad, Georgia were wonderful as well.

C.J. Archer (CJArcher) I read The Book Thief recently and really wished I hadn't. I was depressed for days afterwards.

Regine Louise wrote: "These book are some of my all time favourites :-)

Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie

Such a good book! Most people don't know what this is. Have you tried any other Rushdie books?

message 49: by Tara (last edited Apr 05, 2011 07:26AM) (new)

Tara Woolpy | 17 comments I agree that the Book Thief is depressing but I thought it was one of the best holocaust books I've read. I'd add A Blessing on the Moon - it's a really magical, sad, beautiful holocaust story.

Lillie | 17 comments My only 5-star this year is 84, Charing Cross Road. Loved the the letter writing, humor & the relationships. Just a fabulous book!

« previous 1