YA Paranormal and Fantasy Book lovers discussion

Single Books > Hex Hall (book 1)

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

Artemis | 4504 comments Mod
Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) by Rachel Hawkins by Rachel Hawkins

goodreads summary-Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.
By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.

As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.

message 2: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

I loved this book!! Archer is sooo Hot!!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Poor Archer had some bad luck in this book. I really liked him.

message 4: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Jan 14, 2011 03:37PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) I cut and pasted these quotes from my review because the best part of the book was the humor. If you like Mortal Instruments type wit there's a similar sarcastic vibe in this book.

"The guy next to her, he's the vamp," Jenna said through a mouthful of pie. She pointed to a really good looking guy in his thirties with black curly hair. "Lord Byron."
I snorted. "Oh God, how angsty can you be, naming yourself after a dead poet?"
But Jenna just looked at me. "No, he's the real Lord Byron."

Okay, so Jenna was not going to be much assistance in squashing the crush. "He's a jerk," I pointed out. "Remember the whole werewolf thing this morning?"
"Yeah," Jenna said drily. "Saving you from a werewolf. What a tool."
I groaned. "You're not helping."

"Sophia Mercer," Elodie intoned, "we have come to induct you into our sisterhood. Say the five words to begin the ritual."
I blinked at her. "Are you freaking kidding me?"

On the upside, my crush on Archer was totally gone. Over. Once a boy has slammed his kneecap into your rib cage, I think any romantic feelings should naturally go the way of the ghost.

I opened my eyes to stare at a bright blue tulle monstrosity with a skirt that would hit me at mid thigh. I'd look like the really slutty bride of Cookie Monster.

message 5: by Artemis, Head Mod! (new)

i really like Archer and am relieved to have a book that is not a love triangle lol

message 6: by Camilla (new)

Camilla (camillaisloved) | 914 comments Ah! Same here Artemis! But, there is the sequel. Sigh. I cannot wait!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) Next month too. :)

message 8: by Camilla (new)

Camilla (camillaisloved) | 914 comments Ah! Oh my I forgot!!!!! Thanks for the reminder! :D

message 9: by Lanell (new)

Lanell Horton (Hortonsgirl4Life) | 21 comments This book is on my list to read. I loved Shadow Falls, so I thought I might be into this. Glad to hear there is no love triangle! It seems all the books I have been reading lately have had one.

message 10: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (WaterSpout) Heard many great things about Hex Hall. However, it doesn't seem to be a book that will stand out among the rest.

message 11: by R. (new)

R. Kain | 2 comments I read this, but I can't say it was a strong read for me. There were some parts that just felt awkward. Like the reason the protagonist got sent to the school in the first place was because she had been extremely careless.

It wasn't bad, but the flaws stood out.

message 12: by Juliann (new)

Juliann Whicker | 47 comments I loved the cover. I liked the book. I really liked the book actually even though the characters were a bit stupid. I was a teenager and I was more than a bit stupid. :) I thought it was a very fun summer type paranormal read.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Hex Hall (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Rachel Hawkins (other topics)