Sci-Fi Romance discussion

Let's Get Specific! > YA Sci-fi

Comments (showing 1-19 of 19) (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Michelle I've added YA shelf to the group bookshelves. If anyone knows of any ya sci-fi/ fantasy feel free to add it to the shelves. Thanks!

Michelle The only sci-fi series YA series that I know of is the Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins. I know there has to be more than that. Anybody?

Jacqueline | 157 comments I am just starting a YA scifi book called Across the Universe by Beth Revis. Don't know yet of it will be series.

new_user | 764 comments Hm, does the Michael Grant series count? First book is Gone.

Michelle new_user wrote: "Hm, does the Michael Grant series count? First book is Gone."

I would think so. The synopsis says something about animals mutating. I saw a movie like that once, and it scared me to death!

Ursamater | 1 comments Tammy Pierce is a great YA author. She writes fantasy. There's the Alanna series, The Immortals Quartet, The Protector of the Small series, The Trickster Duo and her new series the Beka Coopers'. Oh, yeah and the Circle of Magic series with it's sequels. The Circle of Magic books start at a place that's appropriate for a young teenager and then she grows her protagonists up slowly. The troubles and problems that they have to solve get more complex as the sequels go on.

Terry Pratchett has a YA series too--the Tiffany Aching series. I love these too.

Jadetyger Sevea | 55 comments Scott Westerfeld's Pretties series is YA: Uglies (Uglies, #1) Pretties (Uglies, #2) Specials (Uglies, #3) Extras (Uglies, #4)

And he has a YA steampunk series: Leviathan (Leviathan, #1) Behemoth (Leviathan, #2)

Stacia (out of inspiration) (Stacia_R) The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, #2) The Death Cure (Maze Runner, #3)

Read it right after Hunger Games and enjoyed it almost as much.

AH Fever Crumb is a steampunky YA book. It's part of a series but I am not sure how that series works.

Michelle It hasn't been released yet, but I came across Delirium (Delirium, #1) on a YA Dystopian fiction list on amazon. It's comes out Feb 1st.

Hmr28 | 68 comments Jacqueline wrote: "I am just starting a YA scifi book called Across the Universe by Beth Revis. Don't know yet of it will be series."

Did you end up liking it? I did not care for it. I thought so much more could have been done with it. I don't want to put spoilers here but to me it was an idea that could have been placed anywhere and it reminded me an awful lot of city of ember which is most decidedly not scifi. I just did not like the characters, the writing style or pretty much anything about it. Too bad because YA could use some great sci-fi authors.

Hmr28 | 68 comments Some of the great sci-fi for young adults that I have read include (some of these are a bit older)
Water Witch by Connie Willis and Cynthia Felice
Spacer and Rat by Margaret Bechard
Earthseed by Pamela Sargent
Invitation to the Game and Keeper of the Isis Light by Monica Hughes
Singing the dogstar blues by Alison Goodman
Dancing with an Alien by Mary Logue
Many books by Tanith Lee would fit into this category but I can't recall them offhand and it's been a while since I read them!

Jacqueline | 157 comments Hmr28 wrote: "Jacqueline wrote: "I am just starting a YA scifi book called Across the Universe by Beth Revis. Don't know yet of it will be series."

Did you end up liking it? I did not care for it. I thought so ..."

No actually tonight I decided to DNF it. Don't have time to waste on stuff that doesn't draw me in. Why do authors have to try so hard to make stuff different? Just tell me a story. Straight forward, in 3rd person POV. I don't want to have to guess what's going on. I just finished Hull Zero Three by Greg Bear, same basic premise. Sleeper ship where some of the sleepers wake too soon. Another stinker in 1st person present POV that tried to be too mystical.

CaliGirlRae (Rae_L) | 75 comments I'm listening to Across the Universe by Beth Revis at the moment. Pretty good so far.

Across the Universe

message 16: by D.L. (last edited Jan 31, 2011 06:25PM) (new)

D.L. Jackson | 42 comments I just finished, I Am Number Four. Loved it.
The next book, The Power of Six, is out in August.
Looks like a series.

new_user | 764 comments Oooh, a series!

Michelle Has anyone read Divergent (Divergent, #1) yet?

message 19: by Pax (last edited Sep 06, 2011 05:25AM) (new)

Pax Rolfe | 4 comments I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1) is one that I have read. I didn't love it, but it wasn't bad. Others would probably enjoy it more.

Pax Rolfe

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Gone (other topics)
Specials (other topics)
Pretties (other topics)
Leviathan (other topics)
Uglies (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Pax Rolfe (other topics)