Axis Mundi X discussion

A Day in the Life > What cheered you up today?

Comments (showing 351-400 of 528) (528 new)    post a comment »

Kelly My plans for a weekend of wild and crazy learning how to bake. I plan to throw myself headfirst into the cold, deep pool. This will either end in flames or STUPENDOUS DELICIOUSNESS.

Petra Xtra Crunchy (PetraX) Waking up to blue skies after hurricane omar blowing all night.

message 353: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
I remember being on the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica when the tail end of Hurricane Beta whipped down and smacked us in the face. That night is right up there with the most scared I have ever been. We were a good 4 hour drive from any road which lead upcountry. We were sleeping in a bungalow about 100 feet from the beach. Let me tell you, when a hurricane hits in the middle of the night, you pretty much wake the fuck up. We were so lucky that there was no storm surge where we were.

Glad you fared okay yourself Petra!

Petra Xtra Crunchy (PetraX) Charissa that sounds pretty scary.
If you aren't prepared a hurricane is very scary. Generally we get a week's warning and at least three days of a direct hit, but no one does anything until the day before just in case the storm changes course. Omar changed course very slightly which if you live on a very tiny island might be all you need to escape the storm-force winds.

message 355: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Petra... yes, with no warning at all it was pretty darn scary. Which island are you on, if you don't mind me asking?

When I was on Maui one year a hurricane came within 90 miles of hitting, and we had lots of warning. It doesn't sound very close, but I can assure you, the winds in our 5th floor condo overlooking the ocean were pretty impressive. Especially since we had sliding glass doors in the bedroom. I'm pretty sure we huddled in the bathroom half of the night.

People who stay after hurricane warnings and ride it out must be made of sterner stuff than me, that's all I can say. Although, I have to admit, there is something thrilling about it.

RandomAnthony GR just placed an ad for Queen Latifa's "Natural Hue" cover girl makeup on my screen.

Um, I don't think I'm in the target demographic, but I did laugh.

RandomAnthony I want a blanket that makes me look like a cult member!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xZp-G...

message 358: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 1818 comments Mod
Yes, I laugh whenever I see that poor woman trying to put her Saran Wrap back in the drawer, and it just won't shut! Darn those pesky drawers!

Why, if only she had some easy-peasy tupperware type containers, in a cupboard, why, she'd never have to worry about drawers again!

message 359: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Ronco, helping the randomly disabled everywhere.

message 360: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

the Pop-up Fisherman was always my favorite.

message 361: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

The Bass-O-Matic makes me think of the SNL spoof, where they put a bass in a blender. Mmm, that's some bass!

message 363: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (last edited Oct 18, 2008 04:17PM) (new)

That is one round kid!

Today, Chris and I went to the corn maze at Hunter Farms with our niece, Tiffany, and Chris' parents. But we didn't just do the corn maze, ohhh, no. Because there was fun for the whole family, and we couldn't just stop after going throught the maze.
We also looked at the climbing goats and the llama, watched while Tiffany went on the pony ride, and took the truck out to the pumpkin patch and picked out pumpkins and squash. And had an enormous Elephant Ear.
Whew! I'm exhausted! But it was really, really fun. Tiffany wore her vampire cape the whole time. :)

RandomAnthony I went on the pumpkin farm field trip with my kindergartner earlier in the week, Jacks...that was fun, but damn, those kindergartners tried to carry pumpkins as big as them...

Petra Xtra Crunchy (PetraX) Apropos of nothing really but RA made me think of it (thanks, I haven't thought of this in years).
My brother-in-law (50+ years older than me) was a tallish guy, straight grey hair, blue eyes, fair skin that didn't tan very well. In most places of the world he would have been identified as white but in the era he was born here because he had one great grandparent who was black he was excluded from the tiny white colonial society and was considered black. He didn't like whites and always wanted to be really black.
When he died and was laid-out in church I thought to myself he would be really happy if he could see himself now. The local, little funeral parlour had used the fairest shade of make-up they had but it was still markedly a 'natural hue'. :-)

Lori (Hellian) And what a beautiful day it was, Jackie, to go to Hunter Farms! I was outside alot - first at the ungodly hour of 7 for Jake's football game, then I went out to my garage to get a bag of groceries, go so taken with how nice it was that I strolled around my garden and realized I hadn't seen my favorite dahlias yet this summer! I inherited them - beautiful red and orange flowers, it looks like a sunset. Then I decided it was a perfect day to do away with all the weeds that had been taking over.

Nice nice day.

message 367: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Yeah, a beautiful fall day. Sunshine, cool breezes, and gorgeous fall leaves everywhere you look! I'm so glad it wasn't raining like the last time we did a corn maze. It's been a surprisingly dry fall this year!

It's true about kids and pumpkins. You get out to the fields, and their eyes get so big! Tiffany found a pumpkin, and then a gourd, and then a "cute little squash", etc., and her grandmother kept telling her "now, we have to make some decisions!" But really, Tiffany wanted to take home every cute squash she found.

Even I couldn't resist bringing home a "cute little pumpkin" and a butternut squash.

message 368: by RandomAnthony (last edited Oct 18, 2008 05:43PM) (new)

RandomAnthony I just ordered this, along with a cool and somewhat similar nightlight, online:

http://www.lafuente.com/product.php?p...

I love and am fascinated by Day of the Dead art. I want to start collecting pieces, little by little.

Oh, Jacks, I'm making acorn squash with blueberries and brown sugar tomorrow for dinner, although it's still a bit warm for it here...

Petra Xtra Crunchy (PetraX) Thanks Bunny. If Obama becomes president I wonder if more people might admit to African-American ancestors.

message 370: by [deleted user] (new)

I like Day of the Dead art, too, Tony! I'd love to be in Mexico for Day of the Dead. The parades look awesome!

message 371: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Sunshiny October days, and good news about Sherri's cats! :)

RA, do you have a recipe for that squash dish? I still have half a butternut squash I need to do something with. It was enormous!

message 372: by RandomAnthony (last edited Oct 19, 2008 02:57PM) (new)

RandomAnthony Since you mentioned it, I just made it, and it kicked ass, Jacks...very simple, very good...although it's aimed at acorn squash, I think...

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Vegeta...

Petra Xtra Crunchy (PetraX) My husband bringing me roses, mashed potatoes, and chocolate cake

I have a mental vision of this being the squash dish, everything squashed in together all at once.

Did I put my foot in my mouth again or did that raise a one-side of your mouth smile? Yes I know I have a childish sense of humour but then I do get on very well with children at least.

message 374: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Thanks RA, I will take a look and see if it will adapt to butternut squash. If not, I'll keep it in mind for later.

Thanks, Sherri, I would love your soup recipe, too.
Petra, I love black tea with rose petals. I always put milk and sugar in my black tea, so any bitterness is counteracted.

message 375: by Tara (new)

Tara (emerging) | 5 comments so far what's cheered me up today?

Recognizing, even with a mistake I made at work, things could be, and could have been, SO much worse.

message 376: by Petra Xtra Crunchy (last edited Oct 20, 2008 08:15AM) (new)

Petra Xtra Crunchy (PetraX) Sherri, I'm glad Ophelia is doing better today. I hope she keeps on getting better.

I fancy tea with rose petals. No roses round here though, they don't grow well in the tropics. I used to buy rose petal jam in London. I think it was either Polish or Bulgarian. I fancy some right now.

Petra Xtra Crunchy (PetraX) What cheered me up today a lot is going back to that thread yesterday and seeing that the person making a great deal of fuss had edited her comments to make them much milder and more reasoned. That made me snork my coffee!

RandomAnthony I can hear the mice in the walls. I don't mind them. Cute mice.

Not Bill | 1062 comments bwahahah! Kewl Sherri.

The only thing missing was "pWnd" and any discussion involving Chuck Norris or Kroll Blade. LOL.

message 380: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!! This is great, Sherri!

PALIN: Hi folks! Sorry I'm late! I brought caribou burgers.

HILARY: Who the HELL is this?

MCCAIN: It's cool, she's with me.

HILARY: No! No, it's not cool! Every time you bring one of your rodeo-queen girlfriends in here she ends up playing some succubus infiltrator and killing the whole party!

MCCAIN: Now, that is patently untrue.

BIDEN: He has a point. Cindy turned out to be a vampire.

Rebecca | 83 comments A 'Princess and the Pea' incident that annihilated any aristocratic aspirations.
Slept with my cello bow beneath my pillow.

*peasant*

Lori (Hellian) *holding chest, gasping*

Sherri, I am not a gamer at all, so I know I'm missing a lot but that was FUNNY!

David (David_Giltinan) BAT BOY IS BACK!

And he's backing Obatma -

http://www.weeklyworldnews.com/electi...

Kelly Speaking of Obama... I don't nkow if you guys look at this regularly already, but if you don't, you should:

http://yeswecanholdbabies.wordpress.com/

It is the cutest thing. Ever. In the history of politics. My favorite Obama baby picture is in the header. This one is pretty good too:

http://yeswecanholdbabies.wordpress.c...

It made my morning bright and shiny, looking at that. :)

message 385: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

HA! omg he is hysterical.

message 386: by Lori (Hellian) (last edited Oct 24, 2008 12:23AM) (new)

Lori (Hellian) I'm getting kerflemt!

Not Bill | 1062 comments Curious BunnWat - why should his world change? Ignoring the fact we know nothing about him, I'm thinking that he's in pretty good spot. He's just received an experience he'll carry forward for the rest of his life. The look on his face tells me he's going to take it heart. That's a lucky kid, and I'd like to believe we're all the better off for it.

message 388: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

NB... oh come on... does or does not life kick you in the face and stomp your guts out every chance it gets? Puleeze, stop with the Mary Jane act. It's so ridiculous.

message 389: by Not Bill (last edited Oct 23, 2008 11:23PM) (new)

Not Bill | 1062 comments DakChar - you're missing the point of my post. What I'm speaking to is the human condition. It's what shapes us. It builds us up, and it brings us down. In the end though, we are the better for it. Tell me, would Obama be the man he is today had he not experienced the childhood he did? Think of all the different variables that came together to form that experience, and realise what a truly unique convergence that is.

I know BunnWat meant well with her statement. My point is that we, as humans, experience and endure. I also believe, it's necessary to our well being. We need to struggle and overcome. All we need to do is look at what the USSR model did to its populace.

message 390: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

I think you are basically subscribing to my dad's well known statement "Pain builds character". To which I always reply, "Oh yeah? I got yer character right here".

Sometimes what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. But sometimes what doesn't kill us hangs around to make us miserable and traumatized. Personally I would gladly volunteer to not have had several things happen to me during my childhood that have shaped me as a person. Mainly because the ways in which they shape me are a hinderance to my reaching what I view as being my full potential. The human condition. Well yes. But I think it is also the human condition to try and prevent the same sorts of ills we have suffered from falling upon those who come after us. Or at least wishing better for them.

I don't think it's necessary to suffer. I just think a lot of us do.

message 391: by Rebecca (last edited Oct 24, 2008 05:21AM) (new)

Rebecca | 83 comments A pair of waltzing Red Admiral butterflies.
They definately had a 3/4 thing going on.

*hums Butterfly Lovers theme*

message 392: by Kelly (last edited Oct 24, 2008 08:38AM) (new)

Kelly Just to redirect to the happy little boy subject for a minute:

http://yeswecanholdbabies.wordpress.c...

This one. I agree: Happiest little boy in the world.

(Would anyone be my hero and teach me how to actually post pictures? Plz?? :))

It is Friday, and I have four hours of work left until I leave for dinner with my visiting family. I just got awesome seats to the Kennedy Center's Verdi Requiem, and I get to see my dog, who I haven't seen in months. No character-building suffering talk for me today! :)

Kelly Thanks, Bunny. It's actually Kelly, though. 'Sokay, we sort of sound alike. :) Sherri's being my hero and teaching me, too.

Yeah, they brought the dog with them, 'cause my mom is on her way to their retirement house for a few weeks. His name is Laika, and he's v. pretty and the biggest attention whore ever and I miss him. Yay! Good day! :)

message 394: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

I just had a fantastic bike ride around town, looking at all the trees with fiery leaves of flame orange and red and gold, and leaves fluttering like butterflies down to the ground.

Add to that the joy of seeing pumpkins on porches, and the spooky decorations some folks put out in their yards, like skeletons on lawn chairs, and it was the BEST RIDE EVER!!!

Hmm. I think I get that endorphin high when I go bicycling...

message 395: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Another beautiful day. I'm thinking about taking my camera out to capture some of it.

trivialchemy I just had 375% of my daily value of Cholesterol.

mmmm... Omelettes...

Rebecca | 83 comments My puppy!

Although, how can you be certain of a dog's love?
Ought I expect sonnets?

*re-thinks quill-pen conjested toybox*

message 398: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

we decorated our front porch with a family of life sized creepy home made death dummies. I love Halloween!!!!!!!

message 399: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (last edited Oct 26, 2008 05:08PM) (new)

Me, too, Charissa! Here's some photos from my bike ride today:

Cider for sale!

Ghosts playing Ring Around the Rosie:

A typical house in Olympia:

Debbie (Sardonicprincessofcheerfulness) Freshly-washed, line-dried-in-the-sun sheets....enjoyed making my bed up with those (it's Labour Day here today).

We had a piece on the news a while back about some suburban neighbourhood in the States whose 'Beautification Society' had bylaws enacted banning washing lines in the area. Do you reckon THEY allow Halloween decorations?!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Big Book for Peace (other topics)
The Glassblower of Murano (other topics)