Novel Books & Reading Challenges discussion

Monthly/Seasonal Challenges > February Let It Be Love Challenge

Comments (showing 1-50 of 138) (138 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 8415 comments Photobucket

For this challenge you can pick from the following 3 options or mix and match them. The choice is up to you.

Option 1 - You may choose to do a spell it out challenge from the words listed below or one you come up with that is related to Love.

As always you may use the title, name of characters, or the name of an author to link it to the letters.You may ignore the 'A', 'An', 'The', etc. at the beginning of titles to get to the first significant word. So "The Virgin's Secret" would be a 'V' title and "A Highlander Christmas" would be an 'H' title." You pick which word/phrase you want or come up with one we haven't.

Option 2 - You may decide to read a certain number of romances.

Option 3 - You may read books with a word listed below in the title.

Levels:
Easy - 3 to 4 books.

Hug
Red
Hot
Kiss
Love
Hugs
Pink

Moderate - 5 - 7 books.

Candy
Cupid
Heart
Amore
Kisses
Smooch
Romance
Flowers
Red Hots
Passion

Difficult - Read 8+ books.

True Love
Valentine
Chocolate
I Heart You
That's Amore
Sweethearts
Love Me Tender
Valentine's Day
Hugs and Kisses
Be My Valentine
Love Is In The Air
My Funny Valentine

message 2: by Lisarenee (last edited Jan 11, 2011 09:56AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 8415 comments Thanks for helping us name this challenge. So here are the results of the poll:

Let It Be Love Challenge                  27 votes 29.3%
Isn't It Romantic Challenge 22 votes 23.9%
Is This Love? Challenge 21 votes 22.8%
Love Me Tender, Love Me True Challenge 12 votes 13.0%
Oh, What a Feeling Challenge 10 votes 10.9%

Kudos to anyone who can figure out what is significant about the picture that is being used above. Sashana & Lauren you already know so you can't guess.

message 3: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) Lisa, is that your wedding photo?

message 4: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 8415 comments Yes.

message 5: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) Beautiful dress!

message 6: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 8415 comments Thanks.

message 7: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. I'm in!

message 8: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckysbusyreading) | 69 comments I'll play again-list to be determined at a later date:)

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 239 comments I'm in :)

message 10: by Sarah (last edited Feb 22, 2011 12:37AM) (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 239 comments Let it Be Love Challenge Feb. 2011

Moderate
Completed: 5/6

H: Halo by Alexandra Adornetto 2.19.11
E: Entice by Carrie Jones 2.22.11
A: At Grave's End by Jeaniene Frost 2.12.11
R: Pride by Rachel Vincent 2.13.11
T: Three Days to Dead by Kelly Meding
S: Secrets of the Demon by Diana Rowland 2.9.11

Halo (Halo, #1) by Alexandra Adornetto Entice (Need, #3) by Carrie Jones At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3) by Jeaniene Frost Pride (Shifters, #3) by Rachel Vincent Three Days to Dead (Dreg City, #1) by Kelly Meding Secrets of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #3) by Diana Rowland

message 12: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 8415 comments Shay, Check out the Log For Keeping Track of Difficult Letters in the Read the Alphabet Challenge:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...

message 13: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie (VampireKisses2) | 123 comments In but don't know what I'm going to do yet.

message 14: by Amy J. (last edited Jan 13, 2011 01:00PM) (new)

Amy J. | 507 comments My list is below. I wanted to do "Chocolate" but my TBR pile doesn't contain any Es

P: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake- Amiee Bender
A: Anna Karenia - Leo Tolstoy
S: The Scarlett Letter - Nathaniel Hawthorne
S: Spirit Bound- Richelle Mead
I: The Idiot - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
O: Original Sin - P. D. James
N: Neverwhere- Neil Gaiman

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender Anna Karenina (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) by Leo Tolstoy The Scarlet Letter  by Nathaniel Hawthorne Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, #5) by Richelle Mead Original Sin (Adam Dalgliesh, #9) by P.D. James Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dizon (sarahd828) | 239 comments Amy wrote: "My list is below. I wanted to do "Chocolate" but my TBR pile doesn't contain any Es

P: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake- Amiee Bender
A: Anna Karenia - Leo Tolstoy
S: The Scarlett Letter - N..."

Neverwhere is an amazing book! I'm sure you'll enjoy reading it!

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 429 comments I think I'm gonna try this challenge too, I'm going to make up my own word.

I'm either going to do Desire or Trust whichever I can find books for. I'll post my books later.

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 429 comments If the author's last name or middle name not first starts with one of the letters is that ok too?

I sure hope that makes sense!

message 18: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments Gabrielle wrote: "If the author's last name or middle name not first starts with one of the letters is that ok too?

I sure hope that makes sense!"

Gabrielle, you can use the author's first name or last name. You can also use the name of main characters. I'm not sure the author's middle name counts. Does that help?

message 19: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments It would be a crime for me to read anything but chocolate. Yum!
Title: February Let It Be Love Challenge
Timeline: 1 month
Start Date:
End Date:
Current Tally:

C
H
O
C
O
L
A
T
E

message 20: by Sherrie (last edited Jan 19, 2011 02:43PM) (new)

Sherrie (VampireKisses2) | 123 comments Think I am going to do Candy. If I get the Kat Martin book I will read it, if not then maybe a different one.

C - Charmed to Death
A - Against the Fire
N - Never Been Witched
D - Dark Roots and Cowboy Boots
Y - Yankee Doodle Dead

Charmed to Death (Ophelia & Abby,  #2) by Shirley Damsgaard Against the Fire by Kat Martin Never Been Witched (Triplet Witch Trilogy, #3) by Annette Blair Dark Roots and Cowboy Boots (Signet Eclipse) by Luann McLane Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10) by Carolyn Hart

message 21: by Lori (new)

Lori (Corgimom) Can these only be read during feb?? Or do we have now until end of feb?

message 22: by Sashana (last edited Jan 18, 2011 06:49PM) (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments Lori wrote: "Can these only be read during feb?? Or do we have now until end of feb?"

Lori wrote: "Can these only be read during feb?? Or do we have now until end of feb?"

Well this is the challenge of the month for February so I would encourage you to start February 1st. But if you wanted to start now we wouldn't dream of stopping you. The timeline is a month. But like I said, I would encourage you to start February 1st.

message 23: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments Jessica (Rhayne Vhexus/Vhiper) wrote: "I think I will do this challenge and I like
Hugs and Kisses"

Good luck, Jessica. Do you know which word you'll be reading?

message 24: by Mandy (last edited Feb 27, 2011 11:44PM) (new)

Mandy (mandypants) I'm going to read TRUE LOVE. Like the January challenge, I'm not familiar with these books. It didn't turn out too badly last time, so we'll see how it goes in February.

T-To Tame a Highland Warrior by Karen Marie Moning Read: 2/4/11
R-Rydstrom Woede from Kiss of a Demon King by Kresley Cole Read: 2/22/11
U-Undead and Unreturnable by Mary Janice Davidson Read: 2/3/11
E-Even Money by Dick Francis Read: 2/3/11

L-Lover Eternal by J.R. Ward Read: 2/9/11
O-One Foot in the Grave by Jeaniene Frost Read: 2/28/11
V-Vicious Circle by Mike Carey Read: 2/2/11
E-Emmaline Troy from A Hunger Like No Other by Kresley Cole Read: 2/19/11
Completed: 8/8
Finished Challenge: 2/28/11

message 25: by Sans (last edited Feb 21, 2011 05:20PM) (new)

Sans | 2275 comments Reserving a spot for the February challenge. Since I own so many, I'm going to read only historical or contemporary romances in February (well, I'm going to try to stay away from the paranormal and sci-fi romances anyway!).

R~ Ravished by a Highlander by Paula Quinn
E~ Everyone Loves a Hero by Marie Force
D~ Don't Tempt Me by Loretta Chase

Competed 1/3
Ravished by a Highlander (Children Of The Mist, #1) by Paula Quinn Everyone Loves a Hero by Marie Force Don't Tempt Me by Loretta Chase

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 429 comments Sashana wrote: "Gabrielle wrote: "If the author's last name or middle name not first starts with one of the letters is that ok too?

I sure hope that makes sense!"

Gabrielle, you can use the author's first name o..."

Thanks Sashana!

message 27: by Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (last edited Feb 24, 2011 11:05PM) (new)

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 429 comments I've finally decided what I'm going to do!

I'm doing a word I didn't see on here and I feel it has to do with love!

February's Let It Be Love Challenge

Level: Moderate

5/5 Complete! Yes!

T - Treasured by Crystal JordanDone! 2-18-2011 4/5 Stars!

R - Claimed By a Scottish Lord (Mystical Bliss, #2) by Melody Thomas Done! 2-14-2011 4/5 Stars!

U - Undressing Mercy by Deanna Lee Done! 2-15-2011 4.5/5 Stars!

S - Savage Torment (Chippewa, #4) by Cassie Edwards Done! 2-23-2011 4/5 Stars!

T - Timeless Warrior by Georgina Gentry Done! 2-25-2011 5/5 Stars!

message 28: by Inga (new)

Inga It's about time I start participating in this group actively not just observe what's happening here :)

I'll check my TBR pile and come back with the level and list of books :)

message 29: by Sans (new)

Sans | 2275 comments Gabrielle, here are the books on my GR shelves that begin with "U" (at least those with some kind of romantic plot)

Unbreakable (Shadow Destroyers, #1) by Sydney Somers The Unclaimed Duchess (Billingham Bastards, #2)  by Jenna Petersen Unclaimed Heart by Kim Wilkins Undeniably Yours (Kowalski Family, #2) by Shannon Stacey Under a Prairie Moon (Leisure Historical Romance) by Madeline Baker Under Fire (Firefighters of Station Five, #2) by Jo Davis Under My Umbrella (Fated, #1) by Karen  Erickson Under the Blood Red Moon by Mina Hepsen Under the Poppy  A Novel by Kathe Koja Undercover (Federation Chronicles, #1) by Lauren Dane The Undoing of a Lady (Brides of Fortune #3) by Nicola Cornick Undressing Mercy by Deanna Lee Unearthly (Unearthly, #1) by Cynthia Hand An Unequal Marriage  Or Pride and Prejudice Twenty Years Later by Emma Tennant An Unforgettable Lady (Platinum Romance Series) by J.R. Ward The Unfortunate Miss Fortunes by Jennifer Crusie Unlacing the Innocent Miss (Harlequin Historical #1016) by Margaret McPhee Unladylike Pursuits by Alyssa Goodnight Unlawful Contact (I-Team, #3) by Pamela Clare Unleashed by Cherrie Lynn An Unlikely Governess by Karen Ranney The Unsung Hero (Troubleshooters, #1) by Suzanne Brockmann Untamed (Medieval, #1) by Elizabeth Lowell Untamed by Emma Wildes The Untamed Bride (Black Cobra Quartet, #1) by Stephanie Laurens Untamed Highlander (Dark Sword, #4) by Donna Grant Untamed Rogue, Scandalous Mistress by Bronwyn Scott Until Forever by Johanna Lindsey Until You (Westmoreland, #3) by Judith McNaught Utterly Charming by Kristine Grayson

message 30: by Shay (new)

Shay | 959 comments Suggestions for U books:
The whole "Undead and" series by MaryJanice Davidson. I think there are about 8 of them.

If you're in the mood for something different, everyone seems to be enjoying Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand.

message 31: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments Inga wrote: "It's about time I start participating in this group actively not just observe what's happening here :)

I'll check my TBR pile and come back with the level and list of books :)"

Awesome, Inga! Have you been a member for a long time or are you new? Whatever the case, welcome to the group and have fun with the challenge :D

message 32: by Sans (new)

Sans | 2275 comments Yay, another active participant in the challenges! I'm looking forward to your reading list, Inga!

message 33: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments It would be a crime for me to read anything but chocolate. Yum!
Title: February Let It Be Love Challenge
Timeline: 1 month
Start Date:
End Date:
Current Tally:

C: Carrie Jones's Need
H: Harrison, Kim's Dead Witch Walking
O
C: Carrie Ryan's The Forest of Hands and Teeth
O
L: The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks
A: Anatomy of a Boyfriend by Daria Snadowsky
T
E: Evie from Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

message 34: by Angie (Mind Malfunction) (last edited Feb 22, 2011 07:19AM) (new)

Angie (Mind Malfunction) (angieerickson) | 339 comments February Let It Be Love Challenge
February 1 - 28, 2011

K The Awakening, Kelley Armstrong FEB 1/2011
I Insatiable, Meg Cabot FEB 3/2011
S Red Handed, Gena Showalter FEB 4/2011
S Shadowfever, Karen Marie Moning FEB 9/2011
A The Reckoning, Kelley Armstrong FEB 5/2011
B Bite Marks, Jennifer Rardin FEB 2/2011
L Linger, Maggie Stiefvater FEB 16/2011
E Eternal Embrace by Marianne Lacroix FEB 22/2011
S Shiver, Maggie Stiefvater FEB 14/2011

The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2) by Kelley Armstrong Insatiable by Meg Cabot Red Handed (Young Adult Alien Huntress, #1) by Gena Showalter Shadowfever (Fever, #5) by Karen Marie Moning The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, #3) by Kelley Armstrong Bite Marks (Jaz Parks, #6) by Jennifer Rardin Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater Eternal Embrace by Marianne LaCroix Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater

message 35: by Inga (new)

Inga Thanks, Sashana & Sans!

I think it's a bit more than a month since I joined the group. I believe it was in December. I had a number of books for other challenges, so decided to play an 'observer' in this group :)

message 36: by Cinnamon (last edited Jan 20, 2011 10:49PM) (new)

Cinnamon (aweirdspeciesofbeauty) | 18 comments I'm in as well:).

message 37: by Cinnamon (last edited Jan 28, 2011 07:54PM) (new)

Cinnamon (aweirdspeciesofbeauty) | 18 comments Let It Be Love Challenge
February 1 - February 28, 2011
0/7 Read

J XVI by Julia Karr
E Elfland by Freda Warrington

T' The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner
A Stolen by Kelley Armstrong
I Intrinsical by Lani Woodland
M The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney
E Entangled by Cat Clarke

XVI by Julia Karr Elfland by Freda Warrington The Thief (The Queen's Thief, #1) by Megan Whalen Turner Stolen (Women of the Otherworld, #2) by Kelley Armstrong Intrinsical (The Yara Silva Trilogy, #1) by Lani Woodland The Mockingbirds (The Mockingbirds, #1) by Daisy Whitney Entangled by Cat Clarke

message 38: by Inga (last edited Jan 21, 2011 03:51AM) (new)

message 39: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments Cinnamon wrote: "Let It Be Love Challenge
February 1 - February 28, 2011
0/7 Read

J XVI by Julia Karr
E Elfland by Freda Warrington

T' Take Me There by Carolee Dean
A ..."

Cinnamon, I really want to know what you think of XVI. I almost bought it but I only had $20 so I chose Across the Universe instead. I also want to read Entangled and Mockingbirds. I love your list (in case you couldn't already tell :)

P.S. Is Cinnamon your real name?

message 40: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments Inga wrote: "Here is my tentative list!

Level: 2

0/7 completed

P - Bloodshot by Cherie Priest
A - Nightkeepers by Jessica Andersen
S - [b..."

Inga, let me know how Iron King goes. I read it a while back and I don't think I liked it. I can't remember why though...

message 41: by Cinnamon (last edited Jan 21, 2011 11:29AM) (new)

Cinnamon (aweirdspeciesofbeauty) | 18 comments @Sashana Nope, Cinnamon's a nickname my friends call me:). And I really want to read Across the Universe, also, so tell me how THAT one goes!

I've read Iron King, Iron Daughter, and Iron Queen. The series is kind of cheesy/corny, but the plot gets better and better. The first book is probably my least fav of the trilogy-now-turned-saga. And the fourth book is going to be in Ash's perspective :D

message 42: by Lisa S (last edited Feb 22, 2011 06:21PM) (new)

message 43: by Inga (last edited Jan 21, 2011 01:30PM) (new)

Inga Ok, guys.. you scared me.. It's my first YA after Twiligt which I've read more than a year ago. I'm not very much fond of. Do you think I'd better choose something else?

And I so do not like corny!!!

message 44: by Sashana (new)

Sashana | 6358 comments Inga, I think you should still give it a try. After all, you might up liking it. I do have other YAs which I love but unfortunately they don't include the letter I.

message 45: by Cinnamon (new)

Cinnamon (aweirdspeciesofbeauty) | 18 comments @Inga Oops, I didn't mean to scare you haha... You should try it. I liked The Iron King better than Twilight, although I shouldn't be talking because I'm pretty biased. Self professed Twilight hater here.

message 46: by Inga (new)

Inga Well, I have my opinion of Twilight either ;) And yes, I'll try The Iron King :) Thank you guys!

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 429 comments Sans wrote: "Gabrielle, here are the books on my GR shelves that begin with "U" (at least those with some kind of romantic plot)

Unbreakable (Shadow Destroyers, #1) by Sydney Somers[bookcover:The Unclaimed Duchess (Billingham Bast..."

Thank you Sans! I'll see which ones I can get at my library. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

message 48: by Katherine (last edited Feb 14, 2011 06:33PM) (new)

Katherine | 223 comments I'm in for easy level

2/4

L Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase read 5*
O On the way to the wedding by Julia Quinn
V Vision in White by Nora Roberts
E Eloisa James's The lady most Likely read 2/3 3*

message 49: by Sans (new)

Sans | 2275 comments I'm thinking I should change to the easy level too. I'm not going to make any of the challenges or BotMs I signed up for this month.

message 50: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (Savhage Temptrest) (SavhageTemptress) | 6 comments I think I'm going to give this one a go. I'm going to go for the spell it out with the word: HUGS.

Duration: February 1, 2011 to February 28, 2011

Progress: 0/4

K - Kiss of Midnight by Lara Adrian
I - The Iron Hunt by Marjorie Liu
S - Seduce Me in Dreams by Jacquelyn Frank
S - Soulless by Gail Carriger

Kiss of Midnight (Midnight Breed,  #1) by Lara Adrian The Iron Hunt (Hunter Kiss, #1) by Marjorie M. Liu Seduce Me in Dreams (A Three Worlds Novel, #1) by Jacquelyn Frank Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

At Grave's End (other topics)
Three Days to Dead (other topics)
Secrets of the Demon (other topics)
Halo (other topics)
Pride (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

MaryJanice Davidson (other topics)
Laura Hillenbrand (other topics)