Romance Audiobooks discussion

Archives of Old Topics > 2011 Listening Challenge

Comments (showing 1-50 of 89) (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (LeaHensleysAudiobooks) | 1779 comments There's a new Speaking of Audiobooks column up and it marks the beginning of our 2011 Listening Challenge. Come on and take a look and join in!
http://www.likesbooks.com/blog/?p=5754

message 2: by Vic (new)

Vic (Vicaet) | 494 comments I'm definitely going to do this but have to decide what level/categories I want to do. :)

message 3: by Melinda (new)

Melinda (melindaparmer) | 123 comments Great column! I can't wait for the new forum!! yippee!

message 4: by Diane (new)

Diane Mason | 129 comments Great column. Looking forward to the new forum. :)

message 5: by Barbie (new)

Barbie | 24 comments I m in I will post my books later on this week

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (LeaHensleysAudiobooks) | 1779 comments Great Barbie!

message 7: by Barbie (last edited Jan 16, 2011 05:35PM) (new)

Barbie | 24 comments My Audiobook Challenge
1. Pick an audiobook that received a DIK grade at AAR in print format. Howl's Moving Castle Diana Wynne Jones

2. Tempt yourself to find a series that grabs hold and won't let go by listening to the first in a series.
TroubleShooter Series- Suzanne Brockmann

3. Listen to another listener's romance favorite.
Diana says:
February 24, 2010 at 8:55 pm (Quote)
Son of the Morning by Linda Howard

4.Listen to a book recommended in a previous Speaking of Audiobooks column (and following discussion).
jennifer crusie strange bedpersons

5. Listen to a new-to-you author. Elizabeth Hoyt- To Beguile a Beast

7. Listen to a romance book released in 2011.
SEP- CMI or Diana Palmer's Lord of the Desert

9. Listen to an audiobook that has been languishing in your to-be-listened (TBL) pile
Sandra Brown's Smoke Screen or A Treasure Worth Seeking

10. Relisten to a favorite book
SEP- Match me if you can

11. Give a less-than-favorite narrator a second chance
Lucky Series Carly Philps

12. Share in your listening - listen to a book someone else chooses for you
Ask for suggestions in any Speaking of Audiobooks column or check the thread we have going over at our Romance
Audiobook Message Board at AAR.

message 8: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lgillian) | 12 comments I too am going to take the challenge. I am still working out my book list.

message 9: by Barbie (new)

Barbie | 24 comments cool!

message 10: by Vic (last edited Feb 08, 2011 10:38PM) (new)

Vic (Vicaet) | 494 comments OK, I'm committing to Level 2 listening Challenge with the following categories: (2 already completed)

* Pick an audiobook that received a DIK grade at AAR in print format
- COMPLETED: Nalini Singh - Archangel's Kiss

* Tempt yourself to find a series that grabs hold and won't let go by listening to the first in a series

* Listen to another listener's romance favorite

* Listen to a book recommended in a previous Speaking of Audiobooks column

* Listen to a new-to-you author

* Listen to a romance book released in 2011

* Listen to an audiobook that has been languishing in your to-be-listened (TBL) pile

* Relisten to a favorite book
- COMPLETED: Patricia Briggs - Hunting Ground
* Listen to a new-to-you narrator

message 11: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 296 comments Okay, I'm stalled on my first audiobook for the challenge. I've over halfway through Welcome to Temptation by Crusie and I have no desire to pick it back up again! I can't pin down what isn't working for me. The narrator is great, the writing is good (I generally enjoy Crusie), and I've had several laugh-out-loud moments with the book. I can do silly at times. In fact, I just read Crusie's Trust Me on This and really enjoyed it, and that's definitely frothy. I think it might be the characters in this book. Here's how they feel to me: Phin is arrogant and to distant from everything emotionally, Sophie is a doormat, Amy is TSTL plus manipulative, Clea is an self-absorbed idiot, and Phin's mom is simply hateful. Dilly is the ONLY character I like in the entire book! (Wes is okay, just bland.) Plus, there's a lot of crude language in the book that seems jarring at times.

Can anyone help me? I stopped at the point where Amy does something really stupid (if you've read the book you'll know what I'm talking about) and naturally expects Sophie to "fix it." Will I like the characters more as the book goes on? Does Sophie grow a spine? Does Amy grow up and wise up? or better yet, leave town and never come back? (Sorry...I don't like Amy.) I hate to admit defeat, but I might need to move on to something else to fill the "Languishing On My TBR Pile" category.

message 12: by Melinda (last edited Feb 02, 2011 05:32PM) (new)

Melinda (melindaparmer) | 123 comments I've read it once and listened to it 3 times, and I love it! to be honest, I don't even remember Amy that much. I just found the dialog and plot funny and I liked Phin. I saw someone else mention they thought Sophie was a doormat - I dunno, I must have missed that part. Yeah, she feels obliged to take care of her siblings (Davey is fun too) because she's the oldest - that's a pretty common plot in romancelandia, but it doesn't make her a doormat to me. And the resolution of the mystery is pretty different from what I expected! I mean, I don't like to laugh at murder, but the things done to that man always do make me giggle. (it's fiction, it's fiction, I tell myself)

That being said, if you're not liking it, go to something you do like. Life is short! Eat dessert first!

message 13: by Laura (Kyahgirl) (new)

Laura (Kyahgirl) (Kyahgirl) | 27 comments Carrie wrote: "Okay, I'm stalled on my first audiobook for the challenge. I've over halfway through Welcome to Temptation by Crusie and I have no desire to pick it back up again! I can't pin down what isn't worki..."

You know what Carrie, I can't really help you because this was one of my least favorite Crusie stories. Because its practically impossible to skim with an audiobook I've come to a point where if its not engaging me, I just stop it and move on. This is very hard for me because I usually feel compelled to finish all the books I start but with audio books I've tried to become more blasé.

I haven't really gotten going on my audiobook challenge even though I have listened to a few lately...better go find my list and review what I said I'd do! Good luck.

message 14: by Carrie (last edited Feb 03, 2011 01:23PM) (new)

Carrie | 296 comments Thanks, guys! I'll give it another try and then if I'm still not enjoying it, I'll check the book out of the library and skim the last part. Sometimes when I know the ending I can make it though a book better, especially one where everything is basically going wrong. I know...I'm just strange that way. ;-)

message 15: by MaryK Audiobook (last edited Feb 03, 2011 03:22PM) (new)

MaryK Audiobook | 168 comments Carrie wrote: "Sometimes when I know the ending I can make it though a book better, especially one where everything is basically going wrong. I know...I'm just strange that way. ;-) "

Not strange at all. I almost always have to read the book before I listen to it otherwise either the plot loses me or I feel like I'm driving blind and a cliff might be around the next corner. It's made choosing "new to me" books for the Challenge challenging. :)

message 16: by Krissie (new)

Krissie | 223 comments That's how I started out with audio books. Georgette Heyer and my own, so I knew what was happening (because I listen to them when I go to bed and of course I fall asleep and lose my place).
But now that I've branched out I'm really enjoying it. You will too.

message 17: by Vic (last edited Feb 10, 2011 11:21AM) (new)

Vic (Vicaet) | 494 comments UPDATE

* Tempt yourself to find a series that grabs hold and won't let go by listening to the first in a series

* Listen to an audiobook that has been languishing in your to-be-listened (TBL) pile

*New* - COMPLETED: Molly Harper's Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs - Amanda Ronconi

message 18: by Barbie (last edited Feb 05, 2011 06:04PM) (new)

Barbie | 24 comments Update:
My Audiobook Challenge
1. Pick an audiobook that received a DIK grade at AAR in print format. Howl's Moving Castle Diana Wynne Jones

2. Tempt yourself to find a series that grabs hold and won't let go by listening to the first in a series.

Diana says:

4.Listen to a book recommended in a previous Speaking of Audiobooks column (and following discussion).

SEP- CMI Done ! My review is coming this week .
Diana Palmer's Lord of the Desert

9. Listen to an audiobook that has been languishing in your to-be-listened (TBL) pile

SEP- Match me if you can

Ask for suggestions in any Speaking of Audiobooks column or check the thread we have going over at our Romance
Audiobook Message Board at AAR. mY review of CMI coming soon

message 19: by Vic (new)

Vic (Vicaet) | 494 comments Go Barbie! :)

message 20: by Vic (new)

Vic (Vicaet) | 494 comments UPDATE

*NEW* COMPLETED: Gail Carriger's Soulless - Emily Gray

COMPLETED: Molly Harper's Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs - Amanda Ronconi

message 21: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (thebooktician) | 24 comments I'm in!!! For now, I am signing up for Level 2, but hope to complete Level 3 by yearend. My tentative list is below. Other than two selections (Patricia Briggs and Ilona Andrews), all of my picks are new authors to me, so this should be interesting. I’m selecting quite a few first books in new series as I hope I’ll love them and listen to the entire series this year.

1. Pick an audiobook that received a DIK grade at AAR in print format.
* Kelley Armstrong - Bitten - Aasne Vigesaa

* Lisa Kleypas - Sugar Daddy - Jeannie Stith – 02/09/11 – ★★★☆☆
* Lisa Kleypas - Blue-Eyed Devil Renée Raudman – 02/10/11 – ★★★★★
* Lisa Kleypas - Smooth Talking Stranger - Emily Durante

* Robyn Carr - Virgin River - Therese Plummer (katyco comment on 2/22/10)

4. Listen to a book recommended in a previous Speaking of Audiobooks column (and following discussion).
* Linda Howard - Dream Man - Phil Gigante (GamaTST comment on 2/22/10)

5. Listen to a new-to-you author.
* Carrie Vaughn - Kitty & the Midnight Hour - Marguerite Gavin

* Patricia Briggs - River Marked - Lorelei King

* TBD

13. Borrow a book from a friend or your library
* Ilona Andrews - Magic Strikes - Renée Raudman

14. Listen to a new-to-you narrator
* Jim Dresden - Stom Front - James Marsters

IN PROGRESS
Smooth Talking Stranger (Travises, #3) by Lisa Kleypas

LISTENTED
Sugar Daddy (Travises, #1) by Lisa Kleypas Blue-Eyed Devil (Travises, #2) by Lisa Kleypas

TO LISTEN
Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong Virgin River (Virgin River, #1) by Robyn Carr Dream Man by Linda Howard Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville, #1) by Carrie Vaughn River Marked (Mercedes Thompson, #6) by Patricia Briggs Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3) by Ilona Andrews Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) by Jim Butcher

message 22: by Vic (new)

Vic (Vicaet) | 494 comments 1 Pick an audiobook that received a DIK grade at AAR in print format
- COMPLETED: Nalini Singh - Archangel's Kiss - Justine Eyre

2 Tempt yourself to find a series that grabs hold and won't let go by listening to the first in a series

3 Listen to another listener's romance favorite

4 Listen to a book recommended in a previous Speaking of Audiobooks column

5 Listen to a new-to-you author
- COMPLETED: Gail Carriger's Soulless - Emily Gray

7 Listen to a romance book released in 2011

9 Listen to an audiobook that has been languishing in your to-be-listened (TBL) pile

10 Relisten to a favorite book
- COMPLETED: Patricia Briggs - Hunting Ground - Holter Graham

- *NEW* COMPLETED: Jeaniene Frost - Destined for an Early Grave - Tavia Gilbert
I just couldn't get into her narration when I tried to listen to book 1 in this series. I had already read all of the books. To get ready for book 5, I tried to listen to this one again and enjoyed it.

14 Listen to a new-to-you narrator
COMPLETED: Molly Harper's Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs - Amanda Ronconi

message 23: by Barbie (new)

Barbie | 24 comments Update:
My Audiobook Challenge

Diana says:

SEP- CMI Done ! My review is coming this week .
Diana Palmer's Lord of the Desert

Finished A treasure worth seeking . What shocks me is that this book orginally was in her lovespell categor. will post review 3/7 ( that's my spring break.
SEP- Match me if you can

Audiobook Message Board at AAR. mY review of CMI coming soon

message 24: by Vic (last edited Feb 24, 2011 01:01PM) (new)

Vic (Vicaet) | 494 comments OK, I only listened to about 1/2 of This Side of the Grave so it probably won't count as my 2011 romance (resorted to reading paperback when it was delivered) due to impatience to get the story consumed but I did listen to Treachery in Death (In Death, #32) by J.D. Robb and actually listened to 2nd part twice!

message 25: by Laura (Kyahgirl) (new)

Laura (Kyahgirl) (Kyahgirl) | 27 comments Update:
I committed to Level 1, here is how i'm doing so far:

1. Pick an audiobook that received a DIK grade at AAR in print format. FAILED: I picked 'Hidden Riches' by Nora Roberts. Unfortunately, the version of book they had at the library was abridged. The abridgement was so bad that I quit about 1/3 of the way through. They tried to put a 400 page book onto 3 discs.
I'll try this one with a different book and I'll get the hardcover of this NR books out to read.!

2. Tempt yourself to find a series that grabs hold and won’t let go by listening to the first in a series.

3. Listen to a new-to-you author.
COMPLETEd: I listened to 'A Dog Named Christmas' by Greg Kincaid. It was a sweet story. Not a romance but still a 'feel good' book. The narrator, Mark Bramhall, was new to me and I thought he did a great job.

4. Listen to an audiobook that has been languishing in your to-be-listened (TBL) pile.
COMPLETED: I had Karin Slaughter's 'Broken' waiting for several months and listened to it recently. It was great and the narrator, Natalie Ross, was also new to me and did fantastic job.

5. Give a less-than-favorite narrator a second chance.

6. Listen to a new-to-you narrator.
COMPLETED: Both Mark Bramhall and Natalie Ross were new to me. I'll definitely seek out more books read by Ross.

message 26: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 296 comments #1- I finally finished one category! ;-) I just finished listening to Arabella by Georgette Heyer on audio. It's been on my TBR list forever! Eve Matheson was the narrator, and she's wonderful.

#2- I'm now listening to Dream Man by Linda Howard, narrated by Phil Gigante. I've read it in print, but it was recommended in audio by a goodreads friend. This will fulfill my new-to-me narrator. I'm enjoying it, and Marlie's voice doesn't bother me like it does some people.

I've reading back through some SOA columns on AAR for two challenge categories (recommended in column and listen to another person's favorite) and decided I could almost pick any author and any book because it's someone's favorite! LOL! What a lot of choices.

I'm interested in Feehan's Ghostwalker series (mainly due to the narrator) and wonder if I should start at the beginning, or jump to book 3 as one person recommended. Any thoughts?

message 27: by Vic (last edited Feb 24, 2011 01:55PM) (new)

Vic (Vicaet) | 494 comments Well, have you read any of the Ghostwalker books? Shadow Game lays the foundation of the series so I think you would be missing out on stuff. While I could see you being able to skip Mind Game-#2 (though the main character from Predatory Game-#6 is introduced in #2) to Night Game-#3. The books I tend to re-listen to the most are Conspiracy Game-#4, Deadly Game-#5, Street Game-#8, Ruthless Game-#9. YMMV

message 28: by Vic (new)

Vic (Vicaet) | 494 comments 1 Pick an audiobook that received a DIK grade at AAR in print format
- COMPLETED: Nalini Singh - Archangel's Kiss - Justine Eyre

2 Tempt yourself to find a series that grabs hold and won't let go by listening to the first in a series
- *NEW* COMPLETED: Molly Harper - How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf - Amanda Ronconi
Really enjoyed this light and funny PNR. Looking forward to second book coming out in audio soon.

3 Listen to another listener's romance favorite

4 Listen to a book recommended in a previous Speaking of Audiobooks column

5 Listen to a new-to-you author
- COMPLETED: Gail Carriger's Soulless - Emily Gray

7 Listen to a romance book released in 2011
- COMPLETED: Nora Roberts - Treachery in Death - Susan Ericksen
not sure this fits here tho I classify the series as romance suspense

9 Listen to an audiobook that has been languishing in your to-be-listened (TBL) pile

10 Relisten to a favorite book
- COMPLETED: Patricia Briggs - Hunting Ground - Holter Graham

- COMPLETED: Jeaniene Frost - Destined for an Early Grave - Tavia Gilbert

14 Listen to a new-to-you narrator
- COMPLETED: Molly Harper's Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs - Amanda Ronconi

message 29: by Tracy (last edited Mar 09, 2011 12:35PM) (new)

Tracy (thebooktician) | 24 comments Update #2

* Kelley Armstrong - Bitten - Aasne Vigesaa (subject to change…hehehehe)

* Lisa Kleypas - Sugar Daddy - Jeannie Stith – 02/09/11 – ★★★☆☆

* Robyn Carr - Virgin River - Therese Plummer (katyco comment on 2/22/10) – 02/15/11 – ★★★★★

4. Listen to a book recommended in a previous Speaking of Audiobooks column (and following discussion).
* Jennifer Cruise – Anyone but You – Susan Erickson (subject to change…hehehehe)

* Carrie Vaughn - Kitty & the Midnight Hour - Marguerite Gavin – ★★★☆☆

* Patricia Briggs - River Marked - Lorelei King

* Linda Howard - Dream Man - Phil Gigante (Listening to in February 2011) – 02/17/11 – ☆☆☆☆☆ (DNF)

* Ilona Andrews - Magic Strikes - Renée Raudman – 02/26/11 – ★★★★★

* Jim Dresden - Stom Front - James Marsters – 02/25/11 – ★★★★☆

IN PROGRESS
A Virgin River Christmas (Virgin River, #4) by Robyn Carr

TO LISTEN
Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong Anyone But You  by Jennifer Crusie River Marked (Mercedes Thompson, #6) by Patricia Briggs

LISTENTED – CHALLENGE
Sugar Daddy (Travises, #1) by Lisa Kleypas Virgin River (Virgin River, #1) by Robyn Carr Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville, #1) by Carrie Vaughn Dream Man by Linda Howard Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3) by Ilona Andrews Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) by Jim Butcher

LISTENED – CHALLENGE ADD-ON
Additional audiobooks I listened to because of this challenge.
Blue-Eyed Devil (Travises, #2) by Lisa Kleypas Smooth Talking Stranger (Travises, #3) by Lisa Kleypas Shelter Mountain (Virgin River, #2) by Robyn Carr Whispering Rock (Virgin River, #3) by Robyn Carr Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2) by Jim Butcher

message 30: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 296 comments Vic~ I meant to say thank you for your suggestions on listening to the GhostWalker series. So... Thank You! I'm going to start with the first one and if I like it, I'll probably just listen to the series in order since there seem to be good reasons to do so.

I finished Dream Man which takes care of two categories now (new-to-me narrator for this one). I'm now listening to Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day. (DIK rating in print). Very clever writing and great narration, but not an exciting, have-to-finish story.

message 31: by Vic (new)

Vic (Vicaet) | 494 comments Carrie wrote: "Vic~ I meant to say thank you for your suggestions on listening to the GhostWalker series. So... Thank You! I'm going to start with the first one and if I like it, I'll probably just listen to the series in order since there seem to be good reasons to do so. ..."

Carrie hope you enjoy them. I rather like this series but all her heroes are rather ALPHA male (just a warning). :) Some of the heroines push back more than others too (which is always good to see).

message 32: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 296 comments Alpha is fine, I just don't like verbally or emotionally abusive "heroes." I don't mind the pushy, "you're mine" sort. ;-)

message 33: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (thebooktician) | 24 comments Vic and Carrie, thanks so much for the chat about Ghost Walkers. I just added it to my listening challenge. I'm VERY into alpha male and haven't read/listened to anything from Feehan, so this should be interesting.

Carrie, I can't wait to hear what you think.

message 34: by Carrie (last edited Mar 21, 2011 02:39PM) (new)

Carrie | 296 comments I finished Shadow Game by Feehan and enjoyed it. I loved the narration and thought the story premise and the action were great. The love scenes were a little over-the-top, but other than slowing down the story, they didn't effect my enjoyment of the book. I bought the second of the series on sale at audible and will listen to it soon.

Shadow Games Qualifies as my 4th Challenge book: "Start a series that grabs you."

Right now I'm listening to Charlie All Night, but I don't think it will qualify for any of the categories of the Challenge for me. ;-) I just wanted something light and funny.

message 35: by Vic (new)

Vic (Vicaet) | 494 comments Carrie wrote: "I finished Shadow Game by Feehan and enjoyed it. I loved the narration and thought the story premise and the action were great. The love scenes were a little over-the-top, but other than slowing do..."

I'm really glad you enjoyed it. For me, the sex in the C Feehan books are when I scroll the wheel on my ipod to FF.

message 36: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (thebooktician) | 24 comments I originally signed up for Level 2, but have been on an audiobook spree and only had 1 book left to finish out the challenge. So, audiobook-fan that I am, I’m upgrading to Level 3. :)

March Update: 8 of 12 completed + 10 add-on-listens

* Christine Feehan – Shadow Game - Tom Stechschulte (new adition)

* Lisa Kleypas – Sugar Daddy – Jeannie Stith – 02/09/11 – ★★★☆☆

* Robyn Carr – Virgin River – Therese Plummer (katyco comment on 2/22/10) – 02/15/11 – ★★★★★

* TBD

* Carrie Vaughn – Kitty & the Midnight Hour – Marguerite Gavin – ★★★☆☆

6. Listen to a romance sub-genre you usually avoid
* Jennifer Cruise – Anyone but You – Susan Erickson – 03/23/11 – ★★★★☆

* Patricia Briggs – River Marked – Lorelei King – 03/17/11 – ★★★★☆

9. Listen to an audiobook that has been languishing in your to-be-listened (TBL) pile.
* Keri Arthur – Full Moon Rising – Justine Eyre ~ OR ~ Karen Marie Moning – Beyond the Highland Mist – Phil Gigante

11. Give a less-than-favorite narrator a second chance.
* JoAnna Ross – Freefall – Coleen Marlo (may change)

* Linda Howard – Dream Man – Phil Gigante (Listening to in February 2011) – 02/17/11 – ☆☆☆☆☆ (DNF)

* Ilona Andrews – Magic Strikes – Renée Raudman – 02/26/11 – ★★★★★

* Jim Dresden – Stom Front – James Marsters – 02/25/11 – ★★★★☆

IN PROGRESS
Shadow Game (GhostWalkers, #1) by Christine Feehan

TO LISTEN
Beyond the Highland Mist (Highlander, #1) by Karen Marie Moning Freefall (High Risk, #1) by JoAnn Ross

LISTENED – CHALLENGE
Sugar Daddy (Travises, #1) by Lisa Kleypas Virgin River (Virgin River, #1) by Robyn Carr Anyone But You  by Jennifer Crusie Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville, #1) by Carrie Vaughn River Marked (Mercedes Thompson, #6) by Patricia Briggs Dream Man by Linda Howard Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3) by Ilona Andrews Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) by Jim Butcher

LISTENED – CHALLENGE ADD-ON
Additional audiobooks I listened to because of this challenge.
Blue-Eyed Devil (Travises, #2) by Lisa Kleypas Smooth Talking Stranger (Travises, #3) by Lisa Kleypas Shelter Mountain (Virgin River, #2) by Robyn Carr Whispering Rock (Virgin River, #3) by Robyn Carr A Virgin River Christmas (Virgin River, #4) by Robyn Carr Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2) by Jim Butcher Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3) by Jim Butcher Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4) by Jim Butcher Kitty Goes to Washington (Kitty Norville, #2) by Carrie Vaughn Kitty Takes a Holiday (Kitty Norville, #3) by Carrie Vaughn

message 37: by Vic (new)

Vic (Vicaet) | 494 comments Vic wrote: "Well, have you read any of the Ghostwalker books? Shadow Game lays the foundation of the series so I think you would be missing out on stuff. While I could see you being able to skip ..."

I want to caveat that I tend to skip a lot of CF's sex scenes in her books. They tend to be long and repetitive (especially over numerous books).

message 38: by Krissie (new)

Krissie | 223 comments OK, time for an update. Where am I on the challenge?
1. Pick an audio book with a A+ or DIK grade. Nalini Singh, ARCHANGEL'S CONSORT
2.Find a series -- Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson series. Plus Karen Marie MOning's Fever series, plus the Alpha and Omega series, plus ...
3.Another listener's favorite romance -- Cry Wolf
4.New to you author -- Lauren Willig
5. Following a discussion -- Darkfever
6. A subgenre I usually avoid? I don't know if there is one that I avoid? I'm an omnivore.
7.One released in 2011 -- RUTHLESS FIRE AND ICE
8. No abridged yet -- though last year I listened to the Richard Armitage books
9. An audiobook that's been languishing ... Drums of Autumn -- I'm rationing myself so I don't run out too fast
10. Relisten to a favorite -- oh, that's easy. I do that all the time. MINE TILL MIDNIGHT by Rosalind Landor. I just listened to COLD AS ICE again because I'm writing the final ICE book
11. Less than favorite narrator -- easy. Tavia Gilbert. I hate some of her regional accents but I got used to Bones in the Grave series and I just roll my eyes at the French ones.
12. Listen to someone else's choice. OK, someone give me an assignment.
13. Got the second Word of the Night Huntess book from the library (you can see i'm not great with titles)
14. A new to me narrator? Xe Sands for FIRE AND ICE, and she was wonderful.

So how many is that? 11 out of 14. I need an abridged, a different subgenre and a recommendation.

message 39: by Brenda (last edited Apr 02, 2011 06:28PM) (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments I need an abridged, a different subgenre and a recommendation.

I'll toss out a few suggestions. :)

Good Abridged book = Open Season by Linda Howard, narrator Kate Forbes.

Subgenre = Light Chicklit/snarky humor - Molly Harper's Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs, narrator Amanda Ronconi

Recommendation - Ilona Andrews. If you want one book instead of starting a series that needs to build over two or three books go with Bayou Moon, narrated by Renee Raudman.

Or Nora Roberts unabridged Carnal Innocence, narrated by Tom Stechschulte. He's pure ear candy for most. ;)

message 40: by Krissie (new)

Krissie | 223 comments Oh, good idea. For one thing, I adore Linda Howard but have avoided her abridged ones. that's only abridged, right? And I don't tend to read chicklit/snark, except for Crusie. I do have Ilona Andrews, but you know, I'm also interested in checking out Tom Stechschulte since I've heard such great things about him.

Thanks for the suggestions!

message 41: by Carrie (last edited Apr 02, 2011 08:17PM) (new)

Carrie | 296 comments Some suggestions from other genres:
Fantasy:
The Sharing Knife: Beguilement by Lois McMaster Bujold. Strong romance plot along with great fantasy world building. I read it, but hear it's even better on audio. (first of a 4 book series)

The Curse of Chalion also by Bujold. I haven't listened to this yet, but hear it's also very good. (forst of a series, 3 or 4 books)

Sci-Fi Rom:
Gabriel's Ghost by Linnea Sinclair. First of her Dock 5 series (four books)

Primary Inversion by Catherine Asaro. (part of a series)

Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold (first of a series)

For a recommendation, try any Georgette Heyer. I love most of the narrators, but Eve Matheson might be the best. Cornelius Garrett is also wonderful and so is Phyllida Nash.

Specific recommendation:
Lady of Quality
Friday's Child
Cotillion

message 42: by Brenda (last edited Apr 02, 2011 08:28PM) (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Although I have the unabridged version of Open Season (narrated by Deborah Hazelet) I can honestly say that I liked the abridged version just as much.

They did an excellent job with the abridgment, nothing important missing or out of place. I liked Kate Forbes voice for Jack better, so that made it all the more enjoyable.

message 43: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Fantasy:
The Sharing Knife: Beguilement by Lois McMaster Bujold. Strong romance plot along with great fantasy world building. I read it, but hear it's even better on audio. (first of a 4 book series)

The Curse of Chalion also by Bujold. I haven't listened to this yet, but hear it's also very good.

I second Carrie's fantasy recommendations, both for enthralling stories and really fabulous narrations.

I'd never read or listened to Fantasy before The Sharing Knife series but I was sucked in by Lois McMaster Bujold ability to write a story and narrator Bernadette Dunn in a heartbeat. It really was a wonderful surprise to love it so much.

message 44: by MaryK Audiobook (new)

MaryK Audiobook | 168 comments The Curse of Chalion is very good. It's one of my favorite audios.

IIRC, Lea recommended an abridged McNaught book in one of the AAR columns. I think. But I don't remember the title.

message 45: by Krissie (new)

Krissie | 223 comments I loved GABRIEL'S GHOST in print. Listened to THE SHARING KNIFE and loved it, ave CURSE OF CHALION on the TBL list.

message 46: by MaryK Audiobook (new)

MaryK Audiobook | 168 comments Has anybody listened to Shards of Honor? I'm wondering about the narrator. I've listened to Komarr but don't remember how I liked Grover Gardner's narration. I can't believe I haven't looked into this one before. The book is great.

@Krissie - Have you read LMB's Shards of Honor? I bet you'd love it. It's a Romance Novel In Disguise with a complex, tortured hero and a very savvy, likeable heroine.

I don't recall if SoH has any sex :) and I'm pretty sure Curse of Chalion doesn't have any. But LMB is one of those who writes with a romance sensibility even when there aren't even romantic elements. Romance novels make up about 90% of what I read, and I love her books.

Komarr is also very good and has the beginnings of a romance. It's better appreciated though if you've read some of the earlier Miles books so you know some of his history and have fallen for him already. :)

message 47: by MaryK Audiobook (new)

MaryK Audiobook | 168 comments MaryK Audiobook wrote: "It's better appreciated though if you've read some of the earlier Miles books so you know some of his history and have fallen for him already."

I think that might be the key to her writing. In her non-romances, the relationship is between the reader and the protagonist.

message 48: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (oddiophile) | 114 comments I've read and listened to Shards of Honor and loved the book, the series, and I unreservedly enjoyed Grover Gardner's narration.

message 49: by MaryK Audiobook (new)

MaryK Audiobook | 168 comments Kelli wrote: "I've read and listened to Shards of Honor and loved the book, the series, and I unreservedly enjoyed Grover Gardner's narration."

Thanks!

message 50: by Krissie (new)

Krissie | 223 comments Yup, read SHARDS OF HONOR and loved it. No sex (or minimal) but very nice. I have Curse of Chalion to read eventually.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Hunting Ground (other topics)
Archangel's Kiss (other topics)
Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs (other topics)
Soulless (other topics)
Bitten (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Patricia Briggs (other topics)
Nalini Singh (other topics)
Molly Harper (other topics)
Amanda Ronconi (other topics)
Emily Gray (other topics)
More...