Children's Books discussion

Books for Specific Age-Groups > Help with High School Literature

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Hi All - I need some suggestions regarding literature and authors that would be of interest to high school students. I'm a high school history teacher, but this coming school year I have been assigned to take on an English class as well. I'm looking for some authors and/or specific titles that I can highlight on my website - like an author of the week or book of the week blurb.

What authors/books should high school students be familiar with? What are some authors/books that high schoolers would enjoy but probably won't be exposed to in high school? Anything that might inspire reluctant high school readers or challenge proficient readers?

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie Davis (katiedavis) | 3 comments Just thinking about what I've read recently, and who I know off the top of my head - pretty much anything by Nancy Werlin (her new Impossible is fabulous, Killer's Cousin), Ellen Wittlinger (Hard Love, Sandpiper), MJ Auch (Ashes of Roses is a great historical fiction), MT Anderson, Jo Knowles (Lessons From a Dead Girl), Chris Lynch (Inexcusable - I think every teenage boy should read)...there is a few suggestions to get you started. I'd read them all before recommending, but they're among the cream of the crop! (And not to mention my own The Curse of Addy McMahon, which I've noticed is crossing over to young YA!).

Good luck!
Katie

message 3: by Raevyn (new)

Raevyn "Lucia" [I'm in it for the books] (raevynstar) | 13 comments Easy--Catherine Fisher for the Incarceron Series and Emmy Laybourne for Monument 14!

message 4: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 408 comments I teach much younger students but immediately thought of a professional book I read a couple of years ago. Readicide: How Schools Are Killing Reading and What You Can Do About It includes a list at the end of books that her high school students have enjoyed. I don't have the book but I know it included books like My Sister's Keeper and The Help and other books...some of which are written specifically for YA and some that are adult novels that teenagers might appreciate. The books are specifically books that some of her reluctant readers have enjoyed.

message 5: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 408 comments Good luck!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Readicide: How Schools Are Killing Reading and What You Can Do About It (other topics)
My Sister's Keeper (other topics)
The Help (other topics)