Aussie Readers discussion

Just for Fun! > Your Best Ever Recipes!!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 92) (92 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by MandyM (last edited Jan 09, 2011 05:10PM) (new)

MandyM | 2032 comments I thought we could start a thread where we can share our favourite Aussie recipes. Whether they're old favourites and national treasures or newer recipes that use the latest uniquely Aussie produce, write them up here!

I'm going to start with a Macadamia Nut recipe because they're delicious and they're grown in my home state:

Macadamia ice cream
Makes approximately 3 cups.

150g unroasted roughly chopped Macadamia nuts
600ml cream
2 egg yolks
1/3 cup castor sugar
1/3 cup golden syrup
1 tablespoon brandy
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Toast the Macadamias in the oven until just golden. Cool. Make a custard sauce by stirring together the cream, egg yolks and sugar over medium heat. Continue stirring until just thickened and immediately pour through a strainer to stop cooking. Do not let it boil, or it will curdle. Stir in the remaining ingredients while still warm, then allow to cool thoroughly. Pour into an ice cream machine and churn according to the machine instructions until set. Midway through the churning, add the toasted Macadamia pieces. Note: If using roasted Macadamia nuts, do not brown them in the oven.

If you don't use the metric system where you come from here is a good conversion website: http://www.convert-me.com/en/

message 2: by Carmel (last edited Jan 09, 2011 07:53PM) (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Mandy that sounds divine!!! Do I assume that macadamia's are brought fresh up there in the northern states - sorry stating the obvious? I'm seriously drooling here, love macadamia icecream yummmm!!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Must ask for an icecream churn for Mothers day. Mmmmmm.

message 4: by David (last edited Jan 09, 2011 08:14PM) (new)

David Delaney | 786 comments Lamb Shank, vegemite & Vegetable Soup

• Serves: 4 as a main, 8 as an entrée
• Preparation: 30 mins
• Cooking: 2 hours
Ingredients
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 8 lamb shanks, dusted with plain flour
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, extra
• 3 carrots, diced
• 2 onions, diced
• 3 stalks celery, diced
• 1 tablespoon minced garlic
• small bunch of mixed herb sprigs
(eg. sage, thyme, rosemary), tied together
• 2 litres water
• 2-3 tablespoons VEGEMITE
• 1 tablespoon tomato paste
• 1 cup chopped green beans or broad beans
Method
1. HEAT the oil in a large saucepan; add the lamb shanks and cook over high heat until well browned, all over. Remove shanks.
2. HEAT extra oil and cook carrots, onions celery and garlic until browned. Return lamb shanks to pan with herbs, water, Vegemite and tomato paste.
3. SIMMER, uncovered, over low heat for 2 hours or until lamb shanks are cooked and tender. Add broad beans and cook for a further 5 minutes. Remove herbs and serve.
------------------------------------------------------

Roast Vegemite Lamb
Ingredients:
• 1 leg of lamb
• rosemary
• garlic, sliced
• olive oil
• vegemite
Method:
Poke the lamb leg with sharp end of the knife about 10 times, in each tiny slit place 1-2 garlic slices and a sprig of rosemary.
Rub the lamb with olive oil, then rub with vegemite until the entire leg is covered.
Roast for 1-1½ hours with the lid on. Yum!

message 5: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Wow David that's an innovative way of using our best aussie spread!!! Sounds a bit different but yummy!!

message 6: by David (new)

David Delaney | 786 comments It is Carmel, very yummy, gives the meat a stronger flavour.

message 7: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments David, I love lamb & vegemite, I just never thought of putting the two together. I'd have a battle on my hands with the vegemite though, as I have an 18 yr old who thinks vegemite needs to be thickly lathered on toast, doesn't last long in my household!! ha

message 8: by MandyM (new)

MandyM | 2032 comments Australians and New Zealanders have alwasy argued about who invented the Pavlova! The dish is said to have been named after Anna Pavlova, a Russian ballet dancer, who was on tour in 1926 and 1929. Anna Pavlova was a famous ballerina and her dances are best described as light and airy, similar to the dessert.

Research indicates that the pavlova was originally from New Zealand. The Australian claim is that it was invented by a Perth chef in 1935; New Zealand claims are based on a recipes in a magazine and a cookery book from 1929 and 1933, with additional reports from a biographer stating that it was invented in 1926 after Anna Pavlova's visit.

Rivalry between the two countries regarding the origin of the pavlova has continued for decades - and will probably continue for many more. The article at the link below concedes that the dessert now known as the pavolva most likely originated in New Zealand, but that the actual name of Pavlova, after Russian ballerina Anna Pavlova, was bestowed upon it by a Perth chef. History and Origins of the Pavlova

Ingredients :
4 x Egg whites
1 pch salt or cream of tartar
3/4 cup Sugar
1/4 cup Sugar
1 tbl Cornstarch
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1 tsp Vinegar

How to cook :

Turn on the oven to 325 degrees.
Prepare the tin or tray for baking, using baking paper, or butter greaseproof paper and run under the cold tap.
Shake off excess water and place in tin or on the tray ready for baking.
Beat the egg whites to a foam, then add the salt or cream of tartar.
Continue to beat to a stiff foam-when the peaks curl over.
Gradually add the 3/4 cup sugar while beating all the time.
Continue to beat until the peaks stand up-the stiff stage.
Mix the 1/4 cup sugar and cornstarch and quickly beat this into the meringue.
Beat the vanilla and vinegar into the meringue until just mixed.
Pile high on the prepared paper.
Place in the oven to cook, and turn the oven down to 120 degrees or the lowest temperature you can set your oven.
Cook for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, then turn off oven.
Leave for 30 minutes, then take out.
While still warm, peel off paper and place on serving dish.
When cold, top with whipped cream and fresh fruit or berries.

Tips to foolproof your Pavlova:
Step 1: A basic meringue contains 55g (1/4 cup) caster sugar for every 1 egg white. (The addition of cream of tartar and vinegar helps create a soft marshmallow centre and a crisp crust.) Begin by whisking the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl - any grease or moisture will stop your eggs from aerating. Gradually add the sugar, 1 tablespoonful at a time, occasionally scraping down the side of the bowl. Once all the sugar is added, whisk for a further 2-3 minutes or until the mixture is thick and glossy. Undissolved sugar causes "weeping" (when moisture forms on the meringue) so if the mixture is grainy, continue whisking.

Step 2: Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Draw a disc on the paper and spoon the mixture onto the disc. Use a palette knife to draw the meringue mixture upwards around the edge to create furrows. This will help support the sides of your pavlova, and prevent it from cracking too much and collapsing.

Step 3: After baking the meringue according to your recipe, turn the oven off. Leave the meringue in the oven, with door ajar, for up to 6 hours to cool completely. If you remove the meringue when it's still warm it will cool too quickly, and may crack and collapse.

Pavlova

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh yum Mandy. Did you have to post the picture? Now I am hungry. I bring my lunch to work, today I ate it at 11.30am. :(

message 10: by MandyM (new)

MandyM | 2032 comments Looks yummy doesn't it. I must admit my Kiwi friend Josie makes the best Pav I've ever tasted!

message 11: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments OMG Mandy that Pav looks divine!!!*wipes dribble off chin*

message 12: by Brenda, Reviewer extraordinaire (new)

Brenda | 35811 comments Mod
Ooohhh!!!! Soooo delish! Something I just cannot make, but I can certainly eat it...:D

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I do, I do. I didn't post my recipe though, it is from an English chef. :P

message 14: by Jan (last edited Jan 14, 2011 08:33PM) (new)

Jan (Auntyjan) | 200 comments Facts about the pavlova.
1. A recipe for a meringue cake was sent in to an Australian magazine by a New Zealand reader.
2. Bert Sachse, who was the chef at the Esplanade Hotel was looking for a light dessert cake for afternoon teas at the hotel, so, using the New Zealand recipe as a base, he experimented for some weeks, until he found that the addition of cornstarch helped give a reliable consistency.
3. Sachse then presented his creation, decorated with cream and passionfruit to the managers at the Esplanade. They were delighted. One commented that it was as 'light as Pavlova'(who had stayed at the hotel a few years earlier). They decided to name the cake in her honour.

So there you have it...made in Australia, named in Australia, but based on a style of meringue cake already popular in both countries.

message 15: by MandyM (last edited Jan 19, 2011 06:17PM) (new)

MandyM | 2032 comments Anzac Biscuits

These traditional Aussie biscuits were baked by anxious wives and mothers during World War I, packed in food parcels, and sent to the Australian soldiers in the trenches. They keep really well. Most Australians have a preference for either crunchy or chewy style Anzac biscuits. For US friends, we say biscuit, you say cookie!

Ingredients
1 cup (150g) plain flour
1 cup (90g) rolled oats
1 cup (85g) desiccated coconut
3/4 cup (155g) brown sugar
125g butter
2 tbs golden syrup
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda

Method
Preheat the oven to 160°C. Line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Sift the flour into a large bowl. Stir in the oats, coconut and brown sugar.

Put the butter, golden syrup and 2 tbs water in a small saucepan. Stir over a medium heat until melted. Stir in the bicarbonate of soda.

Pour the butter mixture into the flour mixture and stir until combined.

Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls. Place on the trays, about 5cm apart.

Press with a fork to flatten slightly. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.

Set aside on the trays for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack so it cools completely.

Photobucket

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Gawd I am so dumb. I have been thinking I don't have any traditional Aussie recipes. I had forgotten about anzac biscuits. I will have to lift my game and find something suitable. (maybe some kind of macadamia nut tart)

message 17: by Brenda, Reviewer extraordinaire (new)

Mandy wrote: "Anzac Biscuits

These traditional Aussie biscuits were baked by anxious wives and mothers during World War I, packed in food parcels, and sent to the Australian soldiers in the trenches. They kee..."

Oh yum, thanks Mandy...they look delicious! Love chewy Anzac biscuits..:)

message 18: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Yummy my favourite biscuit!!! I haven't made them for a few years but my kids would always enjoy the effect of putting the bicarb in with the other ingredients!

Hey Gail you've changed your avatar!!!

message 19: by MandyM (new)

MandyM | 2032 comments I've just noticed too!! Gail you're looking pretty cute in your new avatar!;)

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I am temporarily out of hiding.

message 21: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 25, 2011 06:49PM) (new)

Macadamia tarts

Makes 6

Ingredients
3 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry, thawed
3 large (70g) eggs
3/4 firmly packed cup (150g) brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup (80ml) pure maple syrup
60g unsalted butter, melted, cooled
1 1/2 cups (225g) macadamia nuts
Icing sugar, to dust
Thick cream, to serve

Method
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease six 12cm loose-bottomed tart pans, then use the pastry to line the pans, pressing into the base and sides. Prick the bases with a fork, then chill for 10 minutes.

Line the tart cases with baking paper and fill with pastry weights or uncooked rice. Blind-bake for 5 minutes, then remove the paper and weights and bake for a further 5 minutes or until the bases are dry and crisp.

Meanwhile, whisk the eggs, brown sugar, vanilla extract, maple syrup and melted butter together in a bowl.

Pour the sugar mixture into the tart shells. Divide the macadamia nuts evenly among the tart shells, then return to the oven and bake for about 25 minutes or until the tarts are golden and the centre is firm to touch.

Allow the tarts to cool in the pans for about 10 minutes, then remove from pans, dust with the icing sugar and serve with a dollop of thick cream.

From the Delicious magazine.

message 22: by MandyM (new)

MandyM | 2032 comments YUUUUMMMM!!! Thanks Gail.:)

message 23: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Ah Gail, that looks mouthwatering!!!

message 24: by MandyM (last edited Jan 25, 2011 06:54PM) (new)

MandyM | 2032 comments Lamingtons, the ‘patron cake’ of Australia

A large rectangluar sponge cake, baked in a lamington tray and then sliced into squares. The squares are dipped in chocolate icing and rolled in coconut. The cakes are believed to be named after Baron Lamington, the governor of Queensland from 1896 to 1901. Different sources assign the connection either to his kitchens (claiming the cake was invented there, perhaps, prosaically, as a way to use up stale or burnt sponge cake), or to his wife (said to have a keen interest in household matters), or to a homburg hat the governor was given to wearing which alleged resembled the cakes. Lord Lamington was said to loath his namesakes and to refer to them as 'those bloody poofy woolly biscuits'. Lamingtons have attained the status of an institution in both Australia and New Zealand and ‘Lamington Drives‘ used to be the way to fundraise for your local school or organization due to their excellent storage and long-lasting qualities. The earliest published recipe so far known dates from 1902, when the Queenslander weekly newspaper published a recipe contributed by 'A Subscriber'.

Lamingtons

Makes 16
Prep time 45 mins
Cooking Time 15 mins

Ingredients

4 eggs

125g caster sugar

125g plain flour

1 tsp vanilla bean paste

50g unsalted butter, melted

200g dessicated coconut

Chocolate icing

25g unsalted butter

160ml (2/3 cup) milk

500g icing sugar

50g (1/2 cup) cocoa

Method
Preheat oven to 190C. Grease and line the base and sides of a 20cm square cake pan with baking paper. Fill a sink one-third full with water. Place eggs and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer. Place bowl in sink and whisk for 2 minutes or until mixture is runny and slightly foamy. Remove from sink.
Using an electric mixer, whisk on high speed for 4 minutes or until mixture is pale and triples in volume. Using a sieve, sift just enough flour to cover the top of the egg mixture. Using a large metal spoon, fold in flour in one light motion. Repeat sifting and folding with remaining flour until just combined.
Combine vanilla and butter in a bowl, then add a large spoonful of batter and stir to combine. Gently fold the butter mixture into batter until just combined, then spoon into the prepared pan.
On a work surface, spin the pan to level, then bake for 25 minutes or until centre springs back when pressed with your fingertip. Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Freeze for 20 minutes; this will make the sponge easier to cut.
To make icing, stir butter and milk in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water until butter is melted. Sift over sugar and cocoa, then stir until smooth. Turn off heat.
Using a large serrated knife, trim sides of sponge, then cut into 16 cubes. Scatter coconut over a tray. Insert a skewer into the crust side of a piece of sponge (don’t go all the way through). Holding skewer over icing, and, holding a spoon in the other hand, spoon icing over the sponge, rotating the skewer to coat evenly. Shake off excess, then slide sponge off the skewer onto the tray of coconut. Scatter coconut over the top and sides of sponge, then transfer to a tray lined with baking paper. Repeat with remaining sponge cubes, icing and coconut. If the icing starts to thicken, stir in a little water to thin.

P.S. I got this info from a website/blog the other day but I've forgotten where so apologies to the author.

message 25: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Always got room for a lamington!!!

message 26: by Jan (new)

Jan (Auntyjan) | 200 comments Of course there's always room! My body builds new rooms with each additional piece of cake! lol! Only problem is, I was never consulted about the building plans, and I now find myself living in a much larger body than the one I started with.

message 27: by Brenda, Reviewer extraordinaire (new)

Jan wrote: "Of course there's always room! My body builds new rooms with each additional piece of cake! lol! Only problem is, I was never consulted about the building plans, and I now find myself living in a m..."

Oh Jan, I'm cracking up here...too funny!!! :D

message 28: by Marg (new)

Marg (MargReads) | 86 comments Ha ha! That's very funny, and I totally relate!

message 29: by Shane (last edited Oct 30, 2011 03:00AM) (new)

Shane Dougall This might sound crazy to others but I love it....
My wife now cooks a variation of mash-potato that I love. A while ago when I had mashed potato on my dinner order(hehe), and we had no butter that evening - I thought it was a failure(hehe). Victoria, my wife, thought she'd try mayonnaise instead...
WELL.......
It was beautiful!
So instead of using milk and butter - Mash the potatoes, and then add 3-4 tablespoons of mayonnaise, and mix.
My conclusion is that it's a creamy mashed potato texture with a potato salad taste. My two favorite potato foods :-) I rarely ask for the traditional mix anymore.

Anyone who likes mashed potato, please try it and let me know what you think.

message 30: by Brenda, Reviewer extraordinaire (new)

Shane wrote: "This might sound crazy to others but I love it....
My wife now cooks a variation of mash-potato that I love. A while ago when I had mashed potato on my dinner order(hehe), and we had no butter that..."

That sounds really yummy Shane! I've had it with cream, and also onion flakes mashed through is really delicious:)

message 31: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Sounds yummy, my daughter would love that!

message 32: by Blue Eyed Vixen (new)

Blue Eyed Vixen | 35 comments I found this link for the easiest Roast Pumpkin Soup. I made it this weekend for during the week....tip! make extra...we've already eaten most of it already.

http://theorganisedhousewife.com.au/r...

message 33: by Brenda, Reviewer extraordinaire (new)

Thanks heaps Vix! Love, love, love Pumpkin Soup!!!

message 34: by Brenda, Reviewer extraordinaire (new)

Does anyone have a favourite recipe they use regularly, like every week or couple of weeks? Something that you'd like to share with everyone here? It's so hard to think of something different to cook.....

message 35: by Lynxie (new)

Lynxie | 533 comments Oh boy! I have heaps! I'll see if I can dredge them up for you guys! I get a lot of my recipes from taste.com, make them the way the recipe says the first time then change them to better suit my husband and I from then on!

message 36: by Lynxie (new)

Lynxie | 533 comments Cashew Crusted Chicken with Honey Mustard Dressing
This one was from: http://www.katefreemannutrition.com.au/

She has some great recipes and offers nutritional advice (for a price). This is the nutritionist that my Personal Trainers had employed for the initial assistance with my 10 Week get fit challenge.

My version:

Ingredients Serves 4

1/2 cup dry roasted cashews
2 chicken breasts (cut into thin, smaller pieces or 4 smaller breasts left whole)
1 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp dijon mustard
2 tbsp honey
1 1/2 tbsp white vinegar
Method
Process cashews and sea salt in a food processor until it resembles bread crumbs.
Coat the chicken in the cashew mixture.
Heat the oil in a fry pan over low heat, add chicken and cook for 5 minutes or so each side until nice and golden. Set aside to rest.
Combine the honey, vinegar and mustard in a small ceramic bowl and whisk until honey has been absorbed.
Cook roasted veggies as desired.
Note: As we had two cashew crusted chicken breasts left I popped them on top of some of my brown fried rice and popped them in the freezer for lunches. They were fabulous!

message 37: by Brenda, Reviewer extraordinaire (new)

Ooh Yum!! Thanks Lynxie! That sounds delicious!

message 38: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Burrows | 9 comments What a great post! I'm sick in bed and for the first time in ages I'm hungry!! As soon as I'm up I'll be cooking :-)

message 39: by Brenda, Reviewer extraordinaire (new)

Get well quickly Deborah! Get someone to cook for you;)

message 40: by Katie (new)

Katie (ieishanalani) This is a great thread!!! I have the most yummiest recipe for lemon myrtle pancakes I will have to dig out and write it up :)
Mac ice cream.... YUMMM!!!

message 41: by Brenda, Reviewer extraordinaire (new)

Sounds good Katie:) We're waiting......

message 42: by Tee (new)

Tee (Zally) WOW love this thread, anybody have a recipe for peanut biscuits preferably without peanut butter, l have looked everywhere for for hubby, l just cant find one, many thanks in advance.

message 43: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1702 comments Hi to all the bakers out there.. I'm after some good biscuit recipes.. I think I should be making my own, nicer than the shop ones! I've got a lot of cake recipes, but not so many biscuits/cookies. Would love your help!!

message 44: by Brenda, Reviewer extraordinaire (new)

Wow this thread hasn't been used in awhile Suzanne! Did you check through to see if there are some biscuit recipes in earlier posts? I know I enjoy Anzac Biscuits:) Post #15...

message 45: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 333 comments Suzanne wrote: "Hi to all the bakers out there.. I'm after some good biscuit recipes.. I think I should be making my own, nicer than the shop ones! I've got a lot of cake recipes, but not so many biscuits/cookies...."

I can't vouch for this being an Australian recipe, but it's one much-loved by my own Aussie family.

Chocolate chip & raisin biscuits

Serves: heaps Preparation time: 15 Cooking time: 15

Ingredients
250g cooking margarine, or similar
2 eggs
2.5 cups plain flour
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 cups chocolate chips
2 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp water
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup raisins

Method
Cream the margarine and sugar. Add the eggs, vanilla and water. Sift the flour and baking powder together, then add to the mixture. Add the raisins and chocolate. Spoon onto baking tray and bake in a moderate oven for about 15 minutes.

Sometimes these biscuits spread out a lot; other times they stay compact. I recommend using about a heaped tbsp of mixture for each biscuit.

message 46: by Brenda, Reviewer extraordinaire (new)

Sounds delicious Andrea!

message 47: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1702 comments Andrea you're a star! Brenda good idea, time for me to start trawling for others. Doesn't need to be Aussie, just yum. I'll update you with how the family devours them :) Feel free to keep adding all!

message 48: by ☼♄Jülie (new)

☼♄Jülie | 3710 comments Anybody got a recipe for (original) Jam Drops...my Granny took her wonderful recipe to the grave!

message 49: by Brenda, Reviewer extraordinaire (new)

Oh did she really! That's a shame:( I have lots of both my and Richard's mums' recipes which I've made up into folders for my kids to have too, so they're not lost:)

message 50: by ☼♄Jülie (last edited Mar 25, 2015 04:07AM) (new)

☼♄Jülie | 3710 comments Brenda wrote: "Oh did she really! That's a shame:( I have lots of both my and Richard's mums' recipes which I've made up into folders for my kids to have too, so they're not lost:)"

Just between you and me Brenda I think my cousin has a copy but says she can't find it anymore! As if!!
Any Jam Drops amongst those Brenda?

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Slow Cooker: Easy and Delicious Recipes for All Seasons (other topics)