Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > How do you add a book cover?

Comments (showing 1-28 of 28) (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (last edited Jan 09, 2011 12:44AM) (new)

Karen (TNreader) | 57 comments even newer edit: I see I needed to combine this with the other editions. I did that now.

edit: sorry! I see this isn't the same ISBN. Well, if it were the correct cover image, how would I add it?
==========================================

How do you add a book cover correctly?

I tried adding a cover to http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/97...

I saved the cover .jpg from the Amazon book with the same isbn (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I...) onto my PC, then pointed to it from the book edit page.

However, I noticed 'my' cover is smaller than the covers of the other 2 books in the series: http://www.goodreads.com/series/55420...

What did I do wrong?

(Please be gentle with me; it's my first time...)

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Jan 09, 2011 01:06AM) (new)

rivka | 23558 comments Mod
Do you know how to edit (crop) images? (If not, I may be able to walk you through it, but I need to know what image-editing software you have -- maybe Picture Manager?)

Images from Amazon frequently have extra whitespace around the edges that needs cropping out.

Anyway, B&N has the correct cover image for this edition.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen (TNreader) | 57 comments Oh! I know how to crop the white space. I didn't notice that.

Thanks!

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen (TNreader) | 57 comments OK. That's much better. :)

I'll go get the correct cover now from B&N.

Thanks, Rivka!

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

:)

message 6: by dely (new)

dely | 96 comments I use this thread because I have a doubt with a cover and wanted to ask if I have done right.

I have added a book who has a cover who is only red and very very simple and unclear:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Under suggestions of other members of my group I have added other images.
Here the tab of the book: Memorie di una casa morta

Is this ok? Have I done right?

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 11, 2011 01:05AM) (new)

I think that a
title page would be better for ancient books with a plain or missing cover, but I am not sure that this can be done in Goodreads.

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Abigail wrote: "My understanding is that a title page is perfectly acceptable, in the absence of other images"

Yes, but the key phrase is "in the absence of other images".

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

As the cover, yes. But additional images can be added, as dely did.

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Only the cover will show on shelves.

I hear you on lack of information, but the fact is that's the cover.

message 11: by dely (new)

dely | 96 comments rivka wrote: "As the cover, yes. But additional images can be added, as dely did."

Ok, thank you!

message 12: by Lee (new)

Lee | 45 comments Someone already asked my question elsewhere but I can't find it in the threads. Is there a 'blank cover' image file GR has that we can use? I have found several *wrong* covers & when deleted, a wrong image by Amazon default is in it's place. I'd like to block these out entirely with a Cover Image Not Available or some such until I can get some of my covers scanned. Thanks for any help at this busy time.

message 13: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Lee, all Amazon covers will be going away or getting replaced by data from other sources by the end of the month. So I wouldn't worry too much about it.

message 14: by Lee (new)

Lee | 45 comments rivka wrote: "Lee, all Amazon covers will be going away or getting replaced by data from other sources by the end of the month. So I wouldn't worry too much about it."
Thank you Rivka - I'm glad to see some of these terrible images go - one was a photo of a book taken on someone's floor & their toe was showing at the bottom. :D

message 15: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

That's . . . different.

message 16: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Carson | 54 comments I noticed fantastic fiction has great cover images, but many seam to be borrowed from amazon. Are these elligable, for inclusion here?

message 17: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

If they're really Amazon covers, then no.

message 18: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Carson | 54 comments So it can take quite a lot of research to determine that the original image is not tainted by Amazon, considering how many sites are using their material. Don't get me wrong, I'm very much behind the idea of ditching Amazon. I'm heartily tired of their monopoly on the web. I'm just getting overwhelmed by the complexity of finding an elligable image.

message 19: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Images are not urgent; they can be added after the deadline. And some of our currently-processing imports have large quantities of images, so it might pay to wait for any you're having trouble with and they may fix themselves.

message 20: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Carson | 54 comments Thanks for that. It's good to know the import might save some of the images. For some reason I find it the most inspiring part of the update, being a visual sort of person, but I think I've sorted out most of my issues with the images I've uploaded now anyway. I should probably mention that I requested to become a librarian due to my desire to fill in the missing images primarily. I realise this is not a huge priority, but it does interest me. I realise we're in a state of flux at the moment, and things will be a lot clearer after the Amazonian purge. Thanks for your answers.

message 21: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Aaron wrote: "I should probably mention that I requested to become a librarian due to my desire to fill in the missing images primarily."

We have always had librarians who focus mostly on covers. :)

message 22: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Carson | 54 comments I can imagine. I do add the other data as well, (quite scrupulously) just for the record, but adding the cover at the end is like the cherry on top.

message 23: by Helen (new)

Helen | 67 comments I'd like correct covers but don't know how to do it. What I'd like to know is why does a book retain an isbn when the cover is upgraded? If there are multiple versions of a book (ppr, hard, trade, UK, US etc) all with different isbn then I don't see why updateds don't get new isbn. I hate having the wrong cover on shelves.

message 24: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Helen wrote: "What I'd like to know is why does a book retain an isbn when the cover is upgraded?"

Because ISBNs cost money and publishers don't see the point in spending it when the only change is the cover. That's why we have alternate cover editions.

message 25: by Helen (new)

Helen | 67 comments Well that makes sense then! Thanks. So far today, all books I'm adding (all the TBR I never put on) are all safe. Very impressed.

message 26: by Experiment BL626 (new)

Experiment BL626 | 356 comments rivka wrote: "Aaron wrote: "I should probably mention that I requested to become a librarian due to my desire to fill in the missing images primarily."

We have always had librarians who focus mostly on covers. :)"

That's me right there. Heck, sometime I even find myself photoshopping the cover-art to a higher quality-looking image.

message 27: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Carson | 54 comments Experiment wrote: "rivka wrote: "Aaron wrote: "I should probably mention that I requested to become a librarian due to my desire to fill in the missing images primarily."

We have always had librarians who focus most..."

That's an art I aspire to learn.

message 28: by Experiment BL626 (new)

Experiment BL626 | 356 comments Aaron wrote: "Experiment wrote: "rivka wrote: "Aaron wrote: "I should probably mention that I requested to become a librarian due to my desire to fill in the missing images primarily."

We have always had libr..."

Oh, I'm no artist, I'm just an amateur. This baby does all the work: http://www.topazlabs.com/

And then re-size and sharpen. That's it. =)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Memorie di una casa morta (other topics)