¡ POETRY ! discussion

MY BOOK / POEM IS PUBLISHED! > Hanging Loose takes two

Comments (showing 1-25 of 25) (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Malcolm (last edited Aug 02, 2008 01:55PM) (new)

Malcolm Alexander | 34 comments I just receive a letter from Hanging Loose that they have accepted two of my poems, "Gem" and "Poem about Everything".

However, I was advised that it isn't a good idea to print them anywhere online before they are issued in print because it may violate at very least the spirit in which an editor/journal publishes a poem as new and previously unseen. So I'm going to refrain from doing so, and I'm withdrawing "Toll" and "At a Gallery of Unknowns" on my topic "New Poems".

message 2: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 4911 comments Congratulations, Malcolm. Hanging Loose puts out a good-looking journal. They printed the very first poem I had accepted. And yes, I agree with you, it's just not right to post an accepted poem on the internet before it comes out in a journal. Or even for a while after it comes out. Let them sell what copies they can. It's tough to break even.

message 3: by Nina (new)

Nina | 1231 comments Malcolm, congratulations. Another thing I've learned about posting poems online is to be very clear that it is being posted for critique,or as part of an online workshop, because otherwise it can be construed to be published, and most places won't take already published material.

message 4: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) Congratulations, Malcolm. I think that it is great that your being published again.

message 5: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Alexander | 34 comments Atlanta Review just emailed me and said they had room in their upcoming issue for a second poem of mine, "Bristlecone". They had already accepted "Toll". Once these come out in print I will post them on my profile.

message 6: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 4911 comments That's great, Malcolm. You're on a roll!

message 7: by Nina (new)

Nina | 1231 comments Congrats, Malcolm,this is wonderful news. Your dedication and perseverance are paying off.

message 8: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Alexander | 34 comments I just received my contributor's copies of New England Review today so now I'm going to post "At a Gallery of Unknowns" on "Malcolm's Writing" on my Goodreads profile.

message 9: by Shaindel (new)

Shaindel | 13 comments I personally don't encourage posting anything online that isn't already published b/c it's too easy for someone to "steal" it and send it out as their own. At the college where I teach, we had a creative writing competition "scandal" because one student had stolen a poem from another student's MySpace blog and the prize for the contest was pretty considerable--$100 and a 3 credit hour (one course) scholarship. The stakes are much, much higher in some cases.

If you go to http://www.puddinghouse.com/ and read their "breaking news" section, there's a story about a plagiarizer who has been stealing poems from various authors and sending them in for some big-time prizes--thousands of dollars from Random House, etc. I just think you can't be too careful.

Best,
S

message 10: by Matt (new)

Matt Walker I actively encourage people to steal my poems. Well, I haven't yet. But I'm going to start.

Honestly, all that prize judges have to do is google a winning poem to make sure it doesn't already exist somewhere.

I like the idea of Random House getting swindled.

message 11: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 4911 comments I don't post anything online that isn't already published because, unless it's a private access-restricted site, most journals consider stuff that's been up on the internet as having been previously published.

message 12: by Tara (new)

Tara Betts (Tara_Betts) | 1 comments Yeah, Hanging Loose is a nice journal. I'm excited because I have a poem coming out in issue #93 or #94, I think.

message 13: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) Congratulations, Tara.

message 14: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 4911 comments That's great, Tara.

message 15: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Alexander | 34 comments Likewise!

message 16: by Jan (new)

Jan (JanSteckel) | 300 comments Hi! I'm new to the group. My poem "The White Hospital" just came out in Bellevue Literary Review.
My poetry chapbook, The Underwater Hospital (Zeitgeist Press, 2006) is available from the Zeitgeist Press website at http://www.zeitgeist-press.com.

Jan Steckel
Author, The Underwater Hospital
www.jansteckel.com

message 17: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 4911 comments congrats. i'm the recipient o several rejections from them.

message 18: by Nina (new)

Nina | 1231 comments Jan, congratulations. I am also a Bellevue "reject". Can't wait to read your work.

message 19: by Jan (new)

Jan (JanSteckel) | 300 comments Hi Ruth,

I sent them stuff for years before they finally took this poem. So if you like them, I'd keep submitting.

Jan

message 20: by Jan (new)

Jan (JanSteckel) | 300 comments Hi Nina,
Thanks! I was a Bellevue "reject" lots of times before I was finally an "accept." If you like the journal, just keep submitting.
Jan

message 21: by Nina (new)

Nina | 1231 comments Jan, thanks for the encouraging post-I do like the journal so I'll keep on trying.

message 22: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (boozer) | 138 comments I appreciate Ruth's reluctance to post anything online, but what about a website? Most of the poets on .buffalo.edu (lango poets) have impressive sites, and I'm think of putting one together, getting some digital art and a ton of poems up as well. Or maybe a few poems and long one as work in progress. Any thoughts about websites? Any recomendations?

message 23: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 4911 comments As I understand it, anything that appears on an open website is generally considered published. (I don't know about work in progress.) And of course this doesn't apply to work posted as part of a group or workshop that is closed to the general public.

message 24: by Nina (new)

Nina | 1231 comments Poems posted on a website are considered published. If you are not interested in submitting poems for publication, then it's not a problem. If they are posted in a work group for critique, that's different.

message 25: by Bill (new)

Bill (krisar) | 2 comments sending blessings out for all of these wonderful spirits of expression . . .

www.innerchildenterprises.com

Blessed Be

bill

unread topics | mark unread