Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Member's Reading List > Jex's Challenges

Comments (showing 1-38 of 38) (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jex (last edited Dec 30, 2011 12:34PM) (new)

message 2: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7661 comments Good luck Jessica. You took on some big challenges.

message 3: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7661 comments That is what has kept me from doing the challenges as well. It's a big commitment.

message 4: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Jessica wrote: "Reading the Good Reads Choice Awards Challenge
I've decided to work on this challenge instead of reading through Europe. I don't plan on reading all of the categories since some don't interest me a..."

Jessica, you're reading all of them?!

message 5: by Jex (new)

Jex (Jexball) | 2216 comments Sashana wrote: "Jessica, you're reading all of them?!"

No no no...too much for me. I haven't had time to look at the list to see which I will actually read. I just pasted the list in as a reminder to myself to look through it later when I have more time :-)

message 6: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Oh, I was wondering how you would finish all your other challenges and this one. Whew!

message 7: by Jex (last edited Nov 10, 2011 07:45PM) (new)

Jex (Jexball) | 2216 comments COMPLETED

Paranormal 11.11.11 Book Challenge
Start: January 1st, 2011
End:
Deadline: November 11th, 2011
Completed: 41/121

1. Angels
1. Probability Angels by Joseph Devon2. Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate3. Torment (Fallen, #2) by Lauren Kate

2. Aliens
1. The Softwire Virus on Orbis 1 by P.J. Haarsma

3. Demons
1. City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare2. Torment (Fallen, #2) by Lauren Kate

4. ESP
1. Switched (Trylle Trilogy, #1) by Amanda Hocking2. Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles, #1) by Melina Marchetta3. The Softwire Virus on Orbis 1 by P.J. Haarsma

5. Fairies
1. The Iron King (Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa2. The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff 3. Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1) by Kiersten White

6. Ghost
1. Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3) by Richelle Mead2. Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4) by Richelle Mead3. First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones 4. Hunted (The Shadowing, #1) by Adam Slater5. Hereafter (Hereafter, #1) by Tara Hudson

7. Shapeshifters/Werewolves
1. City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare 2. Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1) by Kiersten White

8. Vampires
1. Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead2. Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2) by Richelle Mead3. City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare4. Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3) by Richelle Mead5. Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4) by Richelle Mead6. Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, #5) by Richelle Mead7. Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy, #6) by Richelle Mead 8. Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1) by Kiersten White9. Bloodshot (The Cheshire Red Reports, #1) by Cherie Priest10. Bite Me (A Love Story, #3) by Christopher Moore

9. Superhero/Superpowers
1. Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life (Scott Pilgrim, #1) by Bryan Lee O'Malley2. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (Scott Pilgrim, #2) by Bryan Lee O'Malley3. Scott Pilgrim and the Infinite Sadness (Scott Pilgrim, #3) by Bryan Lee O'Malley4. Scott Pilgrim Gets It Together (Scott Pilgrim, #4) by Bryan Lee O'Malley5. Scott Pilgrim vs The Universe (Scott Pilgrim, #5) by Bryan Lee O'Malley6. Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour (Scott Pilgrim, #6) by Bryan Lee O'Malley7. Not Everything Brainless is Dead (Book One of The Absurd Misadventures of Captain Rescue) by Joshua Price8. A Mind Not Worth Controlling (A Captain Rescue Short Story) by Joshua Price

10. Witch/Warlock
1. City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare

11. Zombies
1. Married with Zombies (Living with the Dead, #1) by Jesse Petersen2. Not Everything Brainless is Dead (Book One of The Absurd Misadventures of Captain Rescue) by Joshua Price3. Probability Angels by Joseph Devon

message 8: by Jex (last edited Oct 10, 2011 06:25PM) (new)

Jex (Jexball) | 2216 comments COMPLETED!!!

Luck of the Irish Challenge
Start: March 1, 2011
Completed: March 12, 2011
End: 5/5

I - Ingram, Todd (character) Scott Pilgrim and the Infinite Sadness
R - Ramona Flowers (character) Scott Pilgrim vs The Universe
I - Ingram, Todd (character) Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
S - Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life
H - Hollie (character) Scott Pilgrim Gets It Together

Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life (Scott Pilgrim, #1) by Bryan Lee O'Malley Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (Scott Pilgrim, #2) by Bryan Lee O'Malley Scott Pilgrim and the Infinite Sadness (Scott Pilgrim, #3) by Bryan Lee O'Malley Scott Pilgrim Gets It Together (Scott Pilgrim, #4) by Bryan Lee O'Malley Scott Pilgrim vs The Universe (Scott Pilgrim, #5) by Bryan Lee O'Malley

message 9: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Jessica, I like the way you divided the master list of challenges by month, year, and open dead line. Nice idea, I think I'll also do the same thing.

message 10: by Jex (last edited Sep 30, 2011 04:32PM) (new)

Read Your Name Challenge
Start: March 16th, 2011
Complete: April 30th, 2011

J - Jacy (character) Inside Out
E - Ed (character) XVI
S - Switched
S - Sir Topher (character) Finnikin of the Rock
I - The Iron King
C - Chronicle of a Death Foretold
A - Ange (character) Little Brother

The Iron King (Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel García Márquez Little Brother by Cory Doctorow XVI (XVI, #1) by Julia Karr Switched (Trylle Trilogy, #1) by Amanda Hocking Inside Out (Insider, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles, #1) by Melina Marchetta

message 11: by Jex (last edited Sep 24, 2011 03:39PM) (new)

Jex (Jexball) | 2216 comments COMPLETE

Spring Cleaning
Start: March 20th, 2011
End: June 20th, 2011

PreSurvey:
TBR list? 295
Bookshelves? 36
unread books owned? 192
how many for the challenge? As many as I can, really the organization is what I need

Progress:
1. Bookshelves organized and pretty - check
2. TBR's that I don't want to read anymore deleted - check
3. List all of the books I own on Goodreads and determine what I haven't read - check
4. Read, Read, Read! - in progress

The Cleaning
TBR: 396 (this number keeps going up which is the opposite of my goal)
Owned TBR: 297
Shelves: 59 (so much better organized then it was before)

The Reading

Owned: Read - 9
Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel García Márquez Between Two Ends by David Ward Not Everything Brainless is Dead (Book One of The Absurd Misadventures of Captain Rescue) by Joshua Price The Tinkerer's Daughter by Jamie Sedgwick The Softwire Virus on Orbis 1 by PJ Haarsma Darker Corners by Richard Cody Crush It! Why Now Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passion by Gary Vaynerchuk My Soul to Lose (Soul Screamers, #0.5) by Rachel Vincent Go the Fuck to Sleep by Adam Mansbach
Not-Owned: Read - 8
The Iron King (Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa Little Brother by Cory Doctorow XVI (XVI, #1) by Julia Karr Switched (Trylle Trilogy, #1) by Amanda Hocking Inside Out (Insider, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles, #1) by Melina Marchetta 1984 by George Orwell Librivox Short Science Fiction Collection Vol. 011 by Peter Baily

message 12: by Jex (last edited Apr 18, 2011 12:10PM) (new)

Jex (Jexball) | 2216 comments Read it With Me Challenge

Switched by Amanda Hocking with Sashana

message 13: by Jex (last edited Sep 24, 2011 03:39PM) (new)

April Showers Bring May Flowers
Start: April 1st, 2011
End: May 31st, 2011
Complete: 8/9

S - Santiago Nasar (character) Chronicle of a Death Foretold
U -
N - Not Everything Brainless is Dead
F - Finn (character) Switched
L - Lucian (character) Finnikin of the Rock
O - O'Brien (character) 1984
W - w1n5t0n (character) Little Brother
E - Ed (character) XVI
R - Riley (character) Inside Out

Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel García Márquez Little Brother by Cory Doctorow XVI (XVI, #1) by Julia Karr Switched (Trylle Trilogy, #1) by Amanda Hocking Inside Out (Insider, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles, #1) by Melina Marchetta 1984 by George Orwell Not Everything Brainless is Dead (Book One of The Absurd Misadventures of Captain Rescue) by Joshua Price

message 14: by Jex (last edited Nov 14, 2011 10:08PM) (new)

Jex (Jexball) | 2216 comments COMPLETE!

Precious Jewels and Gems Challenge
Start: April 18th, 2011
Complete: November 14th, 2011

Easy: 4/4
R - Richelle Mead (author) Last Sacrifice
U - Udell (character) Fallen
B - Between Two Ends
Y - Yovanoff, Brenna (author) The Replacement

Between Two Ends by David Ward Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy, #6) by Richelle Mead The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate

Moderate: 7/7
E - Emma (character) My Soul to Lose
M - Melina Marchetta (author) Finnikin of the Rock
E - Everyday Surveillance: Vigilance and Visibility in Postmodern Life
R - Rescue, Captain (character) A Mind Not Worth Controlling
A - Adam Mansbach (author) Go the F**k to Sleep
L - Librivox Short Science Fiction Collection Vol. 011
D - Darker Corners

Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles, #1) by Melina Marchetta Librivox Short Science Fiction Collection Vol. 011 by Peter Baily Darker Corners by Richard Cody My Soul to Lose (Soul Screamers, #0.5) by Rachel Vincent Go the F**k to Sleep by Adam Mansbach Everyday Surveillance Vigilance and Visibility in Postmodern Life by William G. Staples A Mind Not Worth Controlling (A Captain Rescue Short Story) by Joshua Price

Hard: 10/10
B - Bloodshot
L - Lend (character) Paranormalcy
O - Orwell, George (chracter) 1984
O - Onirh (character) Defiance
D - Devon, Joseph (author) Probability Angels
S - The Softwire: Virus on Orbis 1
T - The Tinkerer's Daughter
O - Owen (character) The Shadowing: Hunted
N - Not Everything Brainless is Dead
E - The Emo Bunny That Should: A Story For Demented Children

1984 by George Orwell Not Everything Brainless is Dead (Book One of The Absurd Misadventures of Captain Rescue) by Joshua Price The Tinkerer's Daughter by Jamie Sedgwick The Softwire Virus on Orbis 1 by P.J. Haarsma Probability Angels by Joseph Devon The Emo Bunny That Should A Story For Demented Children by John H. Carroll Defiance by G.C. Naffin Hunted (The Shadowing, #1) by Adam Slater Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1) by Kiersten White Bloodshot (The Cheshire Red Reports, #1) by Cherie Priest

Birthstone: 9/9
T - Torment
U - Umberto (character) Juliet
R - Ron L. Hubbard (author) Spy Killer
Q - Quickly, Climbs (character) A Beautiful Friendship
U - Ubie (character) First Grave on the Right
O - Okata (character) Bite Me
I - Inside Out
S - Spirit Bound
E - Elena (character) Dangerously Placed

Inside Out (Insider, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, #5) by Richelle Mead First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones Torment (Fallen, #2) by Lauren Kate Juliet by Anne Fortier Dangerously Placed by Nansi Kunze Spy Killer by L. Ron Hubbard Bite Me (A Love Story, #3) by Christopher Moore A Beautiful Friendship by David Weber

message 15: by Jex (last edited Nov 10, 2011 07:44PM) (new)

Decades Challenge
Start: 10/10/10
End: 11/11/11
Completed: 48/65

1. 2.

1. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5) by J.K. Rowling2. 3.

1. Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life (Scott Pilgrim, #1) by Bryan Lee O'Malley2. 3. 4.

1. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) by J.K. Rowling2. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (Scott Pilgrim, #2) by Bryan Lee O'Malley 3. 4. 5.

1. Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn2. Scott Pilgrim and the Infinite Sadness (Scott Pilgrim, #3) by Bryan Lee O'Malley3. 4. 5. 6.

1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) by J.K. Rowling 2. The Alchemyst (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #1) by Michael Scott3. Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead3. Scott Pilgrim Gets It Together (Scott Pilgrim, #4) by Bryan Lee O'Malley4. 5. 6. 7.

2008 - Done!
1. The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling2. The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins3. City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare4. Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2) by Richelle Mead5. Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3) by Richelle Mead6. Little Brother by Cory Doctorow7. Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate 8. Spy Killer by L. Ron Hubbard

2009 - Done!
1. Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins2. Genesis by Bernard Beckett3. Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4) by Richelle Mead4. Scott Pilgrim vs The Universe (Scott Pilgrim, #5) by Bryan Lee O'Malley5. Librivox Short Science Fiction Collection Vol. 011 by Peter Baily6. Crush It! Why Now Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passion by Gary Vaynerchuk7. My Soul to Lose (Soul Screamers, #0.5) by Rachel Vincent8. Probability Angels by Joseph Devon 9. Girls Against Girls Why We Are Mean to Each Other and How to Stop the Hating by Bonnie Burton

2010 - Done!
1. Stupid Christmas by Leland Gregory2. Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins3. House Rules by Jodi Picoult4. Married with Zombies (Living with the Dead, #1) by Jesse Petersen5. Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour (Scott Pilgrim, #6) by Bryan Lee O'Malley6. The Iron King (Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa7. Switched (Trylle Trilogy, #1) by Amanda Hocking8. Inside Out (Insider, #1) by Maria V. Snyder9. Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles, #1) by Melina Marchetta10. The Softwire Virus on Orbis 1 by P.J. Haarsma

2011 - Done!
1. XVI (XVI, #1) by Julia Karr2. Between Two Ends by David Ward3. Not Everything Brainless is Dead (Book One of The Absurd Misadventures of Captain Rescue) by Joshua Price 4. The Tinkerer's Daughter by Jamie Sedgwick 5. A Mind Not Worth Controlling (A Captain Rescue Short Story) by Joshua Price 6. The Emo Bunny That Should A Story For Demented Children by John H. Carroll 7. First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones 8. Defiance by G.C. Naffin 9. Hunted (The Shadowing, #1) by Adam Slater 10. Bloodshot (The Cheshire Red Reports, #1) by Cherie Priest 11. Dangerously Placed by Nansi Kunze

message 16: by Jex (last edited Sep 24, 2011 03:41PM) (new)

You're a Firework Challenge
Start: July 1st, 2011
End: July 31st, 2011
Complete:

C - Captain Rescue (character) A Mind Not Worth Controlling
O - Ozera (character) Spirit Bound
N - Newton (character) Probability Angels
E - Everyday Surveillance: Vigilance and Visibility in Postmodern Life

Everyday Surveillance Vigilance and Visibility in Postmodern Life by William G. Staples Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, #5) by Richelle Mead Probability Angels by Joseph Devon A Mind Not Worth Controlling (A Captain Rescue Short Story) by Joshua Price

message 17: by Jex (last edited Sep 24, 2011 03:41PM) (new)

August End of Summer Beach Blast Challenge
Start: August 1st, 2011
End: August 30th, 2011

S - Sussman (character) First Grave on the Right
U - Udell (character) Fallen (fin 8/15/11)
R - Richelle Mead (author) Last Sacrifice (fin 8/1/11)
F - Feely (character) The Replacement (fin 8/5/11)

Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy, #6) by Richelle Mead The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones

message 18: by Jex (last edited Sep 30, 2011 04:35PM) (new)

September's Labor of Love Reading Challenge
Start: Sept 1st, 2011
End: Sept 30th, 2011

E - Evie (character) Paranormalcy
V - Vivian (character) Defiance
E - Ed Brunar (character) Bloodshot
N -
T -
S - The Shadowing: Hunted

Defiance by G.C. Naffin The Shadowing Hunted (The Shadowing, #1) by Adam Slater Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1) by Kiersten White Bloodshot (The Cheshire Red Reports, #1) by Cherie Priest

message 19: by Jex (last edited Oct 22, 2011 06:42PM) (new)

October's Creature Feature Reading Challenge
Start: October 1st 2011
End; October 31st 2011

5/5
H - Hubbard (Author) Spy Killer
A - Arriance (character) Torment
R - Romeo (character) Juliet
P - Pronzini (author) The Ghosts of Ragged-Ass Gulch
Y - Yasuo (character) Dangerously Placed

Juliet by Anne Fortier Torment (Fallen, #2) by Lauren Kate Dangerously Placed by Nansi Kunze The Ghosts of Ragged-Ass Gulch by Bill Pronzini Spy Killer by L. Ron Hubbard

message 20: by Jex (last edited Dec 26, 2011 02:19PM) (new)

Jex (Jexball) | 2216 comments Decades Challenge
Start: 11/11/11
End: 12/12/12

(cover picture = finished)

1. Ill Wind (Weather Warden, #1) by Rachel Caine

1.Heat Stroke

1.The Graveyard Book

1. Summer's Path by Scott Blum
2. One Day by David Nicholls

1. The Lost Dogs Michael Vick's Dogs and Their Tale of Rescue and Redemption by Jim Gorant 2. If There is Something to Desire One Hundred Poems by Vera Pavlova3. Newspaper Blackout by Austin Kleon4. Come on All You Ghosts by Matthew Zapruder5. Unbearable Lightness by Portia de Rossi6. First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1) by Jeaniene Frost

1. A Beautiful Friendship by David Weber 2. Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1) by Kendare Blake
4.Acadia, Book I: The Lost King and the Goddess of Time

message 21: by Jex (last edited Nov 30, 2011 07:21PM) (new)

message 22: by Jex (last edited Nov 30, 2011 07:22PM) (new)

Jex (Jexball) | 2216 comments I want to be better at planning out what I read vs just grabbing something off the shelf, so here's to starting month by month:

November:
Timeless 11/07/11
A Beautiful Friendship 11/14/11
Shit My Dad Says 11/10/11
Ill Wind 11/18/11
Anna Dressed in Blood 11/30/11
The Lost Dogs: Michael Vick's Dogs and Their Tale of Rescue and Redemption 11/28/11
Before I Fall (received from library)
Summer's Path 11/11/11

message 24: by Jex (last edited Dec 26, 2011 02:12PM) (new)

Jex (Jexball) | 2216 comments Read the Alphabet
Started: November 2010
Finished:
Deadline: November 2011
Complete: 21/26

A) The Alchemyst (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #1) by Michael ScottB) Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4) by Richelle MeadC) Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne CollinsD) Darker Corners by Richard Cody E) Everyday Surveillance Vigilance and Visibility in Postmodern Life by William G. Staples F) Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2) by Richelle MeadG) Genesis by Bernard BeckettH) The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne CollinsI) The Iron King (Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa J) Juliet by Anne Fortier K) L) Little Brother by Cory Doctorow M) Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne CollinsN) Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel CohnO) One Day by David Nicholls P) Probability Angels by Joseph Devon Q) R) Romeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareS) Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life (Scott Pilgrim, #1) by Bryan Lee O'MalleyT) The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. RowlingU) Unbearable Lightness by Portia de Rossi V) Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle MeadW) X) XVI (XVI, #1) by Julia Karr Y) Z)

message 25: by Jex (last edited Dec 30, 2011 12:12PM) (new)

Jex (Jexball) | 2216 comments Level 1 of the Serious Reader's Challenge for 2011
Started: January 1st, 2011
Finished:
Deadline: December 31st, 2011

1. Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins2. Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins3. City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare4. Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead5. Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare6. A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess7. Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2) by Richelle Mead8. House Rules by Jodi Picoult9. Married with Zombies (Living with the Dead, #1) by Jesse Petersen10. Genesis by Bernard Beckett11. Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3) by Richelle Mead12. Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn13. Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4) by Richelle Mead14. Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life (Scott Pilgrim, #1) by Bryan Lee O'Malley15. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (Scott Pilgrim, #2) by Bryan Lee O'Malley16. Scott Pilgrim and the Infinite Sadness (Scott Pilgrim, #3) by Bryan Lee O'Malley17. Scott Pilgrim Gets It Together (Scott Pilgrim, #4) by Bryan Lee O'Malley18. Scott Pilgrim vs The Universe (Scott Pilgrim, #5) by Bryan Lee O'Malley19. Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour (Scott Pilgrim, #6) by Bryan Lee O'Malley20. The Iron King (Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa21. Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel García Márquez22. Little Brother by Cory Doctorow23. XVI (XVI, #1) by Julia Karr24. Switched (Trylle Trilogy, #1) by Amanda Hocking25. Inside Out (Insider, #1) by Maria V. Snyder26. Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles, #1) by Melina Marchetta27. 1984 by George Orwell28. Librivox Short Science Fiction Collection Vol. 011 by Peter Baily29. Between Two Ends by David Ward30. Not Everything Brainless is Dead (Book One of The Absurd Misadventures of Captain Rescue) by Joshua Price31. The Tinkerer's Daughter by Jamie Sedgwick32. The Softwire Virus on Orbis 1 by P.J. Haarsma33. Darker Corners by Richard Cody34. Crush It! Why Now Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passion by Gary Vaynerchuk35. My Soul to Lose (Soul Screamers, #0.5) by Rachel Vincent36. Go the Fuck to Sleep by Adam Mansbach37. Everyday Surveillance Vigilance and Visibility in Postmodern Life by William G. Staples38. Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, #5) by Richelle Mead39. Probability Angels by Joseph Devon40. A Mind Not Worth Controlling (A Captain Rescue Short Story) by Joshua Price 41. Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy, #6) by Richelle Mead 42. The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff 43. Girls Against Girls Why We Are Mean to Each Other and How to Stop the Hating by Bonnie Burton 44 Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate 45. The Emo Bunny That Should A Story For Demented Children by John H. Carroll 46. First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones47. Defiance by G.C. Naffin 48. Hunted (The Shadowing, #1) by Adam Slater 49. Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1) by Kiersten White 50. Bloodshot (The Cheshire Red Reports, #1) by Cherie Priest 51. Torment (Fallen, #2) by Lauren Kate52. Juliet by Anne Fortier 53. Dangerously Placed by Nansi Kunze54. The Ghosts of Ragged-Ass Gulch by Bill Pronzini55. Spy Killer by L. Ron Hubbard56. Hereafter (Hereafter, #1) by Tara Hudson57. Bite Me (A Love Story, #3) by Christopher Moore58. Timeless (Timeless, #1) by Alexandra Monir59. Shit My Dad Says by Justin Halpern60. Summer's Path by Scott Blum 61. A Beautiful Friendship by David Weber 62. Ill Wind (Weather Warden, #1) by Rachel Caine 63. The Lost Dogs Michael Vick's Dogs and Their Tale of Rescue and Redemption by Jim Gorant 64. Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1) by Kendare Blake 65. If There is Something to Desire One Hundred Poems by Vera Pavlova 66. Newspaper Blackout by Austin Kleon 67. Come on All You Ghosts by Matthew Zapruder68. Unbearable Lightness by Portia de Rossi69. First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1) by Jeaniene Frost70. One Day by David Nicholls71. Burnt Children by R.E. Washington

message 26: by Jex (last edited Dec 21, 2011 07:50PM) (new)

Jex (Jexball) | 2216 comments Reading the Good Reads Choice Awards Challenge
Started: January 2010
Finished:
Deadline: December 2011
Complete: 25/69

What I've read so far:

1) Favorite Book of 2010
Winner: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
2nd Runner-UP: Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead

2) Best Fiction
Runner-Up: House Rules by Jodi Picoult

7) Best Romance
2nd Runner-UP: First Drop of Crimson by Jeaniene Frost

8) Best Historical Fiction
Runner-Up: Juliet by Anne Fortier

10) Best Poetry
Winner: Come on All You Ghosts
Runner-Up: If There is Something to Desire: One Hundred Poems by Vera Pavlova
2nd Runner-UP: Newspaper Blackout by Austin Kleon

11) Best Nonfiction
Runner-Up: The Lost Dogs: Michael Vick's Dogs and Their Tale of Rescue and Redemption by Jim Gorant

13) Best Memoir & Autobiography
Winner: Unbearable Lightness by Portia de Rossi

14) Best Humor:
Bite Me: A Love Story by Christopher Moore
Runner-Up: Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern

16) Best Young Adult Fantasy
Runner-Up: Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead

18) Best Picture Books
Winner: It's a Book by Lane Smith
Runner-Up: Knuffle Bunny Free: An Unexpected Diversion by Mo Willems
2nd Runner-UP: Instructions by Neil Gaiman

19) Best Debut Author

20) Best Goodreads Author
Winner: Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead

21) Best Favorite Heroine
Winner: Mockingjay
Runner-Up: Spirit Bound

22) Best Favorite Hero
2nd Runner-UP: Mockingjay

23) Best Cover Art
Winner: Torment by Lauren Kate
Runner-Up: The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff

The Overall List:
1) Favorite Book of 2010
Runner-Up: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson
2nd Runner-UP: Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead

2) Best Fiction
Winner: Room by Emma Donoghue
Runner-Up: House Rules by Jodi Picoult
2nd Runner-UP: The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen

3) Best Mystery & Thriller
Winner: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson
Runner-Up: Still Missing by Chevy Stevens
2nd Runner-UP: Sizzling Sixteen by Janet Evanovich

4) Best Fantasy
Winner: Towers of Midnight by Robert Jordan
Runner-Up: The Left Hand of God by Paul Hoffman
2nd Runner-UP: Kraken by China Miéville

5) Paranormal Fantasy
Winner: Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris
Runner-Up: Silver Borne by Patricia Briggs
2nd Runner-UP: Magic Bleeds by Ilona Andrews

6) Best Science Fiction
Winner: Feed by Mira Grant
Runner-Up: Blackout by Connie Willis
2nd Runner-UP: Dreadnought by Cherie Priest

7) Best Romance
Winner: Lover Mine by J.R. Ward
Runner-Up: Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks
2nd Runner-UP: First Drop of Crimson by Jeaniene Frost

8) Best Historical Fiction
Winner: Fall of Giants by Ken Follett
Runner-Up: Juliet by Anne Fortier
2nd Runner-UP: The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott by Kelly O. McNees

9) Best Graphic Novels & Comics
Winner: Twilight: The Graphic Novel, Volume 1 by Stephenie Meyer
Runner-Up: Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Retreat by Jane Espenson
2nd Runner-UP: Maximum Ride: The Manga, Vol. 3 by NaRae Lee

10) Best Poetry
Winner: Come on All You Ghosts by Matthew Zapruder
Runner-Up: If There is Something to Desire: One Hundred Poems by Vera Pavlova
2nd Runner-UP: Newspaper Blackout by Austin Kleon

11) Best Nonfiction
Winner: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
Runner-Up: The Lost Dogs: Michael Vick's Dogs and Their Tale of Rescue and Redemption by Jim Gorant
2nd Runner-UP: Medium Raw: A Bloody Valentine to the World of Food and the People Who Cook by Anthony Bourdain

12) Best History & Biography
Winner: The Tudors: The Complete Story of England's Most Notorious Dynasty by G.J. Meyer
Runner-Up: At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson
2nd Runner-UP: Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand

13) Best Memoir & Autobiography
Winner: Unbearable Lightness by Portia de Rossi
Runner-Up: This Time Together: Laughter and Reflections by Carol Burnett
2nd Runner-UP: Spoken from the Heart by Laura Bush

14) Best Humor:
Bite Me: A Love Story by Christopher Moore
2nd Runner-UP: Earth (the book): A Visitor's Guide to the Human Race by Jon Stewart

15) Best Young Adult Fiction
Winner: Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
Runner-Up: Only the Good Spy Young by Ally Carter
2nd Runner-UP: Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green

16) Best Young Adult Fantasy
Runner-Up: Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead
2nd Runner-UP: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

17) Best Middle Grade & Children's Books
Winner: Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Ugly Truth by Jeff Kinney
Runner-Up: Lord Sunday by Garth Nix
2nd Runner-UP: The Viper's Nest by Peter Lerangis

18) Best Picture Books
Winner: It's a Book by Lane Smith
Runner-Up: Knuffle Bunny Free: An Unexpected Diversion by Mo Willems
2nd Runner-UP: Instructions by Neil Gaiman

19) Best Debut Author
Winner: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
2nd Runner-UP: Brightly Woven by Alexandra Bracken

20) Best Goodreads Author
Winner: Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead
Runner-Up: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
2nd Runner-UP: Room by Emma Donoghue

21) Best Favorite Heroine
Winner: Mockingjay
Runner-Up: Spirit Bound
2nd Runner-UP: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson

22) Best Favorite Hero
Runner-Up: Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris
2nd Runner-UP: Mockingjay

23) Best Cover Art
Winner: Torment by Lauren Kate
Runner-Up: The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff
2nd Runner-UP: Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

message 27: by Jex (new)

Jex (Jexball) | 2216 comments 50 States Challenge
Started: November 2010
Finished:
Complete: 13/50
Deadline: November 2011

Alabama (AL)
Alaska (AK)
Arizona (AZ)
Arkansas (AR)
California (CA) The Alchemyst (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #1) by Michael Scott
Colorado (CO)
Connecticut (CT)
Delaware (DE)
Florida (FL)
Georgia (GA) Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate
Hawaii (HI)
Idaho (ID)
Illinois (IL) XVI (XVI, #1) by Julia Karr
Indiana (IN)
Iowa (IA)
Kansas (KS)
Kentucky (KY)
Louisiana (LA)
Maine (ME) Between Two Ends by David Ward
Maryland (MD)
Massachusetts (MA)
Michigan (MI)
Minnesota (MN)
Mississippi (MS)
Missouri (MO)
Montana (MT) Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead
Nebraska (NE)
Nevada (NV)
New Hampshire (NH)
New Jersey (NJ) Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn
New Mexico (NM) First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones
New York (NY) City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare
North Carolina (NC)
North Dakota (ND)
Ohio (OH)
Oklahoma (OK) Hereafter (Hereafter, #1) by Tara Hudson
Oregon (OR) Summer's Path by Scott Blum
Pennsylvania (PA) Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy, #6) by Richelle Mead
Rhode Island (RI)
South Carolina (SC)
South Dakota (SD)
Tennessee (TN)
Texas (TX)
Utah (UT)
Vermont (VT) House Rules by Jodi Picoult
Virginia (VA) Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1) by Kiersten White
Washington (WA) Married with Zombies by Jesse Petersen
West Virginia (WV)
Wisconsin (WI)
Wyoming (WY)

message 28: by Jex (last edited Nov 30, 2011 07:24PM) (new)

Jex (Jexball) | 2216 comments Read Your Birthday
Started: January 26, 2011
Finished:
Deadline: None
Completed: 10/11

D - David Levithan (author) Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist
E - Emma Hunt (character) House Rules
C - Christian (character) Shadow Kiss
E - Envy Adams (character)Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
M - Married with Zombies
B - Blood Promise
E - Envy Adams (character) Scott Pilgrim and the Infinite Sadness
R - Ramona (character) Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life

1 - The Softwire: Virus on Orbis 1
2 -

1984 - 1984

BONUS:
Book with December in the title
Book written in 1984
Birthstone in the title: Blue Topaz, Turquoise:
Author has same birthday:

House Rules by Jodi Picoult Married with Zombies (Living with the Dead, #1) by Jesse Petersen Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3) by Richelle Mead Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4) by Richelle Mead Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life (Scott Pilgrim, #1) by Bryan Lee O'Malley Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (Scott Pilgrim, #2) by Bryan Lee O'Malley Scott Pilgrim and the Infinite Sadness (Scott Pilgrim, #3) by Bryan Lee O'Malley 1984 by George Orwell The Softwire Virus on Orbis 1 by P.J. Haarsma

message 29: by Jex (last edited Dec 30, 2011 12:23PM) (new)

Jex (Jexball) | 2216 comments Never Ending Series Challenge

So here are the series I'm slowly working through. This is more of just a list for me to keep track then an actual challenge.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Life, the Universe and Everything
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Mostly Harmless
And Another Thing...

The Giver by Lois Lowry
The Giver
Gathering Blue
Messenger

The Secrets of the Immortal Nicolas Flammel by Scott Michael
The Alchemyst
The Magician
The Sorceress
The Necromancer
The Warlock

Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare
City of Bones
City of Ashes
City of Glass
City of Fallen Angels
City of Lost Souls (released May 2012)
City of Heavenly Fire (released September 2013)

The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor
The Looking Glass Wars
Seeing Redd
ArchEnemy
Hatter M

Trylle Triology
Switched
Torn
Ascend

Softwire Series by PJ Haarsma
The Softwire: Virus on Orbis 1
The Softwire: Betrayal on Orbis 2
The Softwire: Worm Hole Pirates on Orbis 3
The Softwire: Awakening on Orbis 4

Fallen Series
Fallen
Torment
Passion

Charley Davidson Series by Darynda Jones
First Grave on the Right
For I Have Sinned
Second Grave on the Left
Third Grave Dead Ahead

Paranormalcy
Paranormalcy
Supernaturally
Endlessly (expected 2012)

Cheshire Red Series by Cherie Priest
Bloodshot
Hellbent

Weather Warden by Rachel Caine
Ill Wind 11/18/11
Heat Stroke
Chill Factor
Windfall
Firestorm
Thin Air
Gale Force
Cape Storm
Total Eclipse

Anna by Kendare Blake
Anna Dressed in Blood 11/30/11
Girl of Nightmares

Finished Series in 2011

Harry Potter by JK Rowling
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) by J.K. Rowling

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins

Scott Pilgrim by Bryan Lee O'Malley
Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life (Scott Pilgrim, #1) by Bryan Lee O'Malley Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (Scott Pilgrim, #2) by Bryan Lee O'Malley Scott Pilgrim and the Infinite Sadness (Scott Pilgrim, #3) by Bryan Lee O'Malley Scott Pilgrim Gets It Together (Scott Pilgrim, #4) by Bryan Lee O'Malley Scott Pilgrim vs The Universe (Scott Pilgrim, #5) by Bryan Lee O'Malley Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour (Scott Pilgrim, #6) by Bryan Lee O'Malley

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2) by Richelle Mead Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3) by Richelle Mead Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4) by Richelle Mead Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, #5) by Richelle Mead Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy, #6) by Richelle Mead

message 30: by Jex (last edited Dec 22, 2011 04:32PM) (new)

Sign of the Times

December 23 to January 22 - Capricorn 7/9
Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2) by Richelle Mead
January 23 to February 19 - Aquarius 4/8
House Rules by Jodi Picoult Married with Zombies by Jesse Petersen Genesis by Bernard Beckett Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3) by Richelle Mead
Pisces - February 20 to March 20 6/6
Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4) by Richelle Mead Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life (Scott Pilgrim, #1) by Bryan Lee O'Malley Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (Scott Pilgrim, #2) by Bryan Lee O'Malley Scott Pilgrim and the Infinite Sadness (Scott Pilgrim, #3) by Bryan Lee O'Malley Scott Pilgrim Gets It Together (Scott Pilgrim, #4) by Bryan Lee O'Malley
March 20 to April 20 - Aries 5/5
The Iron King (Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel García Márquez Little Brother by Cory Doctorow XVI (XVI, #1) by Julia Karr Switched (Trylle Trilogy, #1) by Amanda Hocking
April 21 to May 20 - Taurus 3/6
Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles, #1) by Melina Marchetta 1984 by George Orwell Between Two Ends by David Ward
May 21 to June 21 - Gemini 3/6
Not Everything Brainless is Dead (Book One of The Absurd Misadventures of Captain Rescue) by Joshua Price The Softwire Virus on Orbis 1 by P.J. Haarsma Darker Corners by Richard Cody
June 22 to July 22 - Cancer 6/6
Go the Fuck to Sleep by Adam Mansbach My Soul to Lose (Soul Screamers, #0.5) by Rachel Vincent Everyday Surveillance Vigilance and Visibility in Postmodern Life by William G. Staples Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, #5) by Richelle Mead Probability Angels by Joseph Devon A Mind Not Worth Controlling (A Captain Rescue Short Story) by Joshua Price
July 23 to August 22 - Leo 3/3
Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy, #6) by Richelle Mead The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones
August 23 to September 22 - Virgo 2/5
Defiance by G.C. Naffin Hunted (The Shadowing, #1) by Adam Slater
September 23 to October 23 - Libra 5/5
Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1) by Kiersten White Bloodshot (The Cheshire Red Reports, #1) by Cherie Priest Torment (Fallen, #2) by Lauren Kate Juliet by Anne Fortier Dangerously Placed by Nansi Kunze
October 24 to November 21 - Scorpio 6/7
Hereafter (Hereafter, #1) by Tara Hudson Bite Me (A Love Story, #3) by Christopher Moore Timeless (Timeless, #1) by Alexandra Monir Shit My Dad Says by Justin Halpern Ill Wind (Weather Warden, #1) by Rachel Caine A Beautiful Friendship by David Weber
November 22 to December 22 - Sagittarius 6/11
Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1) by Kendare Blake The Lost Dogs Michael Vick's Dogs and Their Tale of Rescue and Redemption by Jim Gorant If There is Something to Desire One Hundred Poems by Vera Pavlova Newspaper Blackout by Austin Kleon Unbearable Lightness by Portia de Rossi First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1) by Jeaniene Frost

message 31: by Jex (last edited Dec 30, 2011 12:27PM) (new)

Chinese Zodiac

January - Rat Wise 7/7
Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2) by Richelle Mead House Rules by Jodi Picoult
February - Ox Calm 5/6
Married with Zombies by Jesse Petersen Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3) by Richelle Mead Genesis by Bernard Beckett Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4) by Richelle Mead
March - Tiger 5/5
Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life (Scott Pilgrim, #1) by Bryan Lee O'Malley Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (Scott Pilgrim, #2) by Bryan Lee O'Malley Scott Pilgrim and the Infinite Sadness (Scott Pilgrim, #3) by Bryan Lee O'Malley Scott Pilgrim vs The Universe (Scott Pilgrim, #5) by Bryan Lee O'Malley Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour (Scott Pilgrim, #6) by Bryan Lee O'Malley
April - Rabbit 6/6
Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel García Márquez Little Brother by Cory Doctorow XVI (XVI, #1) by Julia Karr Switched (Trylle Trilogy, #1) by Amanda Hocking Inside Out (Insider, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles, #1) by Melina Marchetta
May - Dragon 3/6
1984 by George Orwell Between Two Ends by David Ward Not Everything Brainless is Dead (Book One of The Absurd Misadventures of Captain Rescue) by Joshua Price
June - Snake 3/5
The Tinkerer's Daughter by Jamie Sedgwick The Softwire Virus on Orbis 1 by P.J. Haarsma Darker Corners by Richard Cody
July - Horse 5/5
Everyday Surveillance Vigilance and Visibility in Postmodern Life by William G. Staples Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, #5) by Richelle Mead Probability Angels by Joseph Devon A Mind Not Worth Controlling (A Captain Rescue Short Story) by Joshua Price Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy, #6) by Richelle Mead
August - Sheep Shy 4/8
The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate The Emo Bunny That Should A Story For Demented Children by John H. Carroll First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones
September - Monkey 4/6
Defiance by G.C. Naffin Hunted (The Shadowing, #1) by Adam Slater Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1) by Kiersten White Bloodshot (The Cheshire Red Reports, #1) by Cherie Priest
October - Rooster 5/7
Torment (Fallen, #2) by Lauren Kate Juliet by Anne Fortier Dangerously Placed by Nansi Kunze Spy Killer by L. Ron Hubbard Bite Me (A Love Story, #3) by Christopher Moore
November - Dog Loyal 4/8
A Beautiful Friendship by David Weber The Lost Dogs Michael Vick's Dogs and Their Tale of Rescue and Redemption by Jim Gorant Timeless (Timeless, #1) by Alexandra Monir Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1) by Kendare Blake
December - Pig Naive
If There is Something to Desire One Hundred Poems by Vera Pavlova Newspaper Blackout by Austin Kleon Unbearable Lightness by Portia de Rossi One Day by David Nicholls Burnt Children by R.E. Washington

message 32: by Jex (last edited Dec 30, 2011 12:27PM) (new)

Jex (Jexball) | 2216 comments All About You Challenge
This task: 2/3
Tasks Complete: 3/12

Task 4: Read your Chinese zodiac sign (Spell it out challenge) Rat

R - R.E. Washington (author) Burnt Children
A - Anna Dressed in Blood
T -

Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1) by Kendare Blake Burnt Children by R.E. Washington

Read your favorite flower (Spell it out challenge) or read 3 or 4 books with your favorite flower on the cover Sunflower
Task 5: Read 3 or 4 books set in a country you'd like to visit Australia
Task 6: Read 3 or 4 books from your favorite genre Dystopian
Task 7: Read 3 or 4 books with your child or a friend
Task 8: Read 3 or 4 books written by some of your favorite authors
Task 9: Set yourself a personal goal to exceed the amount of books you normally read in a month
Task 10: Read one of your favorite foods (Spell it out challenge)
Task 11: Read 3 or 4 books by authors you've never read before, but have been meaning to
Task 12: Read your favorite Book Crush's name

Task 1: Read your Birthday Month December
Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel García Márquez Little Brother by Cory Doctorow XVI (XVI, #1) by Julia Karr Switched (Trylle Trilogy, #1) by Amanda Hocking Inside Out (Insider, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles, #1) by Melina Marchetta 1984 by George Orwell Between Two Ends by David Ward

Task 2: Read your Birthstone Turquoise
Not Everything Brainless is Dead (Book One of The Absurd Misadventures of Captain Rescue) by Joshua Price The Tinkerer's Daughter by Jamie Sedgwick The Softwire Virus on Orbis 1 by P.J. Haarsma Darker Corners by Richard Cody Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, #5) by Richelle Mead Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy, #6) by Richelle Mead Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones Defiance by G.C. Naffin

Task 3: Read your sign (Spell it out challenge) Sagittarius
Hunted (The Shadowing, #1) by Adam Slater Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1) by Kiersten White Bloodshot (The Cheshire Red Reports, #1) by Cherie Priest Torment (Fallen, #2) by Lauren Kate Juliet by Anne Fortier Dangerously Placed by Nansi Kunze Spy Killer by L. Ron Hubbard Hereafter (Hereafter, #1) by Tara Hudson Bite Me (A Love Story, #3) by Christopher Moore Timeless (Timeless, #1) by Alexandra Monir A Beautiful Friendship by David Weber

message 33: by Jex (last edited Dec 30, 2011 12:29PM) (new)

Jex (Jexball) | 2216 comments Animal Alphabet Reading Challenge
Letters Complete: 3/26

Dove 3/4
D - Diane Ray (narrator) Summer's Path
O - Okata (character) Bite Me
V -
E - The Emo Bunny That Should: A Story For Demented Children

Bite Me (A Love Story, #3) by Christopher Moore The Emo Bunny That Should A Story For Demented Children by John H. Carroll Summer's Path by Scott Blum

Emu 2/3
E -
M - Michele (character) Timeless
U - Unbearable Lightness

Timeless (Timeless, #1) by Alexandra Monir Unbearable Lightness by Portia de Rossi

Flamingo 6/8
F - First Drop of Crimson
L -
A - Amelia (character)Hereafter
M - Matthew Zapruder Come on All You Ghosts
I - Ill Wind
N -
G - The Ghosts of Ragged-Ass Gulch
O - One Day

The Ghosts of Ragged-Ass Gulch by Bill Pronzini Hereafter (Hereafter, #1) by Tara Hudson Ill Wind (Weather Warden, #1) by Rachel Caine Come on All You Ghosts by Matthew Zapruder First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1) by Jeaniene Frost One Day by David Nicholls

Giraffe 6/7
G - Girls Against Girls: Why We Are Mean to Each Other and How to Stop the Hating
I - If There is Something to Desire: One Hundred Poems
R - Romeo (character) Juliet
A - A Beautiful Friendship
F - Fallen
F - First Grave on the Right
E -

Girls Against Girls Why We Are Mean to Each Other and How to Stop the Hating by Bonnie Burton Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones Juliet by Anne Fortier A Beautiful Friendship by David Weber If There is Something to Desire One Hundred Poems by Vera Pavlova

H - Halpern (author) Shit My Dad Says
E -
D -
G -
E -
H -
O -
G -

Shit My Dad Says by Justin Halpern

Ibex 1/4
I -
B - Blake, Kendare Anna Dressed in Blood
E -
X -

Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1) by Kendare Blake

Jaybird 1/7
J -
A - Acadia, Book I: The Lost King and the Goddess of Time
Y -
B - Burnt Children
I -
R -
D

Burnt Children by R.E. Washington

Koala 0/5
K - Kleon, Austin Newspaper Blackout 12/2/11
O -
A -
L -
A -

Newspaper Blackout by Austin Kleon

Lynx 0/4
Meerkat 0/7
Nightengale 0/11
Ocelot 0/6
Panda 0/5
Quail 0/5
Raccoon 0/7
Seal 0/4
Toucan 0/6
Urchin 0/6
Vixen 0/5
Wolf 0/4
Xenopus 0/7
Yaffle 0/6
Zorillo 0/7

ALPACA
Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel García Márquez Little Brother by Cory Doctorow XVI (XVI, #1) by Julia Karr Switched (Trylle Trilogy, #1) by Amanda Hocking Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles, #1) by Melina Marchetta 1984 by George Orwell
BASILISK
Between Two Ends by David Ward Not Everything Brainless is Dead (Book One of The Absurd Misadventures of Captain Rescue) by Joshua Price The Tinkerer's Daughter by Jamie Sedgwick The Softwire Virus on Orbis 1 by P.J. Haarsma Darker Corners by Richard Cody Everyday Surveillance Vigilance and Visibility in Postmodern Life by William G. Staples Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, #5) by Richelle Mead Probability Angels by Joseph Devon
CHINCHILLA
A Mind Not Worth Controlling (A Captain Rescue Short Story) by Joshua Price Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy, #6) by Richelle Mead The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff Defiance by G.C. Naffin Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1) by Kiersten White Bloodshot (The Cheshire Red Reports, #1) by Cherie Priest Torment (Fallen, #2) by Lauren Kate Dangerously Placed by Nansi Kunze Spy Killer by L. Ron Hubbard

message 34: by Jex (last edited Dec 30, 2011 12:31PM) (new)

Singing in the Snow
Start: December 1st - December 31st
Complete: 5/5

✓"Santa Claus is Coming to Town"
Book: Unbearable Lightness
Why: I'm sure Santa sleigh has to be light in order to fly through the air.
Unbearable Lightness by Portia de Rossi

✓"I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" 12/1/11
Book: If There is Something to Desire: One Hundred Poems
Why: Desire leads to kissing
If There is Something to Desire One Hundred Poems by Vera Pavlova

✓"O Come All Ye Faithful"
Book: Come on All You Ghosts
Why: Titles sound similar
Come on All You Ghosts by Matthew Zapruder

✓"The Christmas Song" (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire)
Book:Burnt Children
Why: Roasting, burning, it's all the same really...

✓"Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer"
Book:First Drop of Crimson
Why: Crimson in the title
First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1) by Jeaniene Frost

message 35: by Jex (last edited Dec 26, 2011 02:16PM) (new)

Jex (Jexball) | 2216 comments New Year's Eve Masquerade Ball Challenge
Start: December 4th, 2011
End: January 31st 2012
Completed: 0/6

Item #1: Outfit/Costume: Gorgeous in Red
The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk Chronicles, #1) by Kady Cross

Item #2: Your Date: Korvin

Item #3: Transportation:

Item #4: Music:

Item #5: Entree:

Item #6: Toast:

message 36: by Jex (last edited Dec 26, 2011 02:18PM) (new)

Jex (Jexball) | 2216 comments Winter Challenge from Seasonal Challenge Group

5.1. It’s the Latest Thing! – contain the suffix ist (alchemist, polygamist, etc)

5.2. That bugs me! – insect in the title or on the cover

5.3. Round Here...... something round or oval on the cover

5.4. Let’s Call it a Goal! - involves something you’d like to do in 2012, a goal or an aspiration or even a faint hope

5.5. All Around the World – published or set from 1837-1901

5.6. Other People Liked It, Why Not Me? - nominated for the 2011 GR Choice Awards

5.7. Third stone from the sun. – part of a trilogy, or is #3 in a series

5.8. Jump! – page # divisible by 4

5.9. Trash to treasure. – read book that friends rated 1 or 2 stars

5.10. EARTH – authors first or last name starts with E, A, R, T, or H

10.1 Climb Every Mountain: - a book that’s been on your TBR list for over a year

10.2 As You Like It: a book that’s been recommended by Goodreads

10.3 Here, There Be Dragons: features a dragon, has dragon in the title, or picture of dragon on the cover

10.4 Blue, White, and the Black of Night – cover is blue, white, black, or combo of these

10.5 It’s Summer Somewhere: - book set in southern hemisphere or takes place during the summer

10.6 Can't Wait 'Til Spring! – nonfiction about gardening, nover featuring a gardner, book with flower on the cover

10.7 Featuring Earth: - word Earth in the title

10.8 Hidden Gems – less than 1000 ratings

10.9 Earth Signs Read – author born under an earth sign (dec 22-jan19, april20 – may20, aug23 – sept22)

10.10 The Winter Blues – book you’ve been dying to read

15.1 Cause Knowledge is Power!: - 2 books from 2 different options or 1 book that covers 2 options
A. Conjunction Junction: - title contains for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so
B. Unpack Your Adjectives – title has superlative adjective (biggest, best, worst, etc)
C. Rufus Xavier Sarsaparilla – title has pronoun
D. Interjections!- title has interjection or exclamation point

15.2 Make it Work: - 2 books that fit options (can use the same one twice)
A. title has sewing element: silk, satin, corduroy, denim, leather lace, button, bead, etc
B. cover is all about the dress

15.3 Winter Wonderland: - 2 books that fit options – 1 from each
A. Winter: title has winter, set in winter, winter on the cover, or about a winter holiday
B. Wonderland: set in location of a world wonder

15.4 Go Green: Is it easy being green? – 2 books from options (can choose the same twice) or 1 book that fits 2 options
A. green in the title
B. author named green Read a book by an author named "green"- "green" should be found intact in any name
C. green cover Read a book with a green cover
D. non-fiction about environment

15.5 All Shiny and New: - published after 1/1/11 by a new to you author

15.6 Read 'Em Their Writes!: - about a police officer or law enforcement professional

15.7 Directionally Challenged: - title has north, south, east, west, map, globe, compass, chart in the title

15.8 What’s IndieNext? – on indie next list on indiebound.org

15.9 Hark! The Herald Angels Sing: - title has angel or heaven, features angels

15.10 Sweet!: a book of your choice

20.1 Most Improved Player -

20.2 Rookie at the Top -

20.3 Best Review -

20.4 Author! Author! -

20.5 Bigger is Better -

20.6 Seasoned Reader -

20.7 Shorter is Sweeter -

20.8 It's My Birthday -

20.9 Lucky Me! -

20.10 Group Read – Group Read and post
A. Category: "1st book in a Mystery Series with a Female Protagonist"- The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King The discussion thread is here
B. Category: "Steampunk"- Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld The discussion thread is here
C. Category: "African American Literature" - The Color Purple by Alice Walker The discussion thread is here

25.1 - Where Have All the Flowers Gone? – 2 books from 2 categories
White Lilacs (youthful innocence): YA book
Marigold (pain and grief): death is central point
Red Rose (true love): Read a romance.
Daffodil (chivalry): Read a book set during the medieval times.
Hollyhock (ambition): Read a book related to an ambition you have Sweetbriar (simplicity): Read a book with a one word title.
Hibiscus (rare or delicate beauty): Read a book with a beautiful cover.
Plumeria (new beginnings): Read the first book in a series.

25.2 - Santa by any other name is..... choose 1 option, 2 books
Option 1: 2 books by authors with names that sound the same but are spelled different
Option 2: 2 books by 1 author that uses two names. Name must appear different.
Option 3: 2 books one authors name can be used as a nickname for the other (ex lilli and Lillian)

25.3 - Mrs. Soule's task:

25.4 - Sandy’s Task: On This Day in History – 2 books from different months
A. December
1. title has palace, king, queen, prince, or princess or as a significant character
2. title has blue, moon, lunar, or eclipse or cover of the moon
B. January
1. ice in the title or authors name
2. native American author main character
C. February
1. magic or witchcraft is important to the plot
2. title with word from one songs by Sergeant Pepper

25.5 - Mstan's task: "Movies - Ruining (Advertising?) the Book Since..." 2 books 2 options
Option A: Made the Grade A – 3.95 rating or above on GR and movie adaptation received 80% or above on Tomato meter
Option B: Stay Home; Read The Book – 3.95 rating or above on GR but movie is 79% or lower
Option C: Larger than Life – 3.94 or lower on GR, move is 80% or higher
Option D: In the Eyes of the Beholder 3.94 rating or below on GR, movie 80% or below

25.6 - Laurie ME's task:

25.7 - Amanda A's task: Name Train – 2 books
Book 1 – author’s first, middle, or last name begins with the last letter of your reader board name
Book 2 – author’s first, middle, or last name begins with the last letter of the previous authors name

25.8 - Gayla's task: 2011: The Year in Review – 2 books 2 options
1. Read one of the 100 Notable Books of 2011, according to the New York Times.
2. 2011 movie based on
3. about the british royal family or features a wedding as central event
4. set in Egypt, libya, Algeria, yemen, Jordan, Bahrain, Syria, iraq, iran, Israel, Tunisia, or Saudi Arabia
5. set in an occupy protest location or about a political movement
6. about a memorable event of 2011 (from your life)

25.9 - Denise NC’s Task: My Favorite Genres – 2 books, different genres
Option 1 – Young Adult
Option 2 – Urban Fantasy
Option 3 – Mystery
Option 4 – Adventure / Thriller
Option 5 – Romance - One Day by David Nicholls by David Nicholls
Option 6 – Historical Fiction

30.1 - Cheryl TX/Lori (BNPL)'s Task: Unique Winter Holidays
Roll 2 dice to choose task. If you roll: 1 by new to you author 2 is new to you or by same author as before
4. author’s initials are reversed from yours
6. book by author with a first name you love (name you’d want)

30.2 Sheila’s Task: One Author – Two Series
Book 1: Read any book in any series by an author who has written at least 2 different series.
Book 2: Read the FIRST book in a different series written by the same author of your first book.

30.3 - DLMRose's task: Small Changes or Simple Swaps – 2 books
1. book of your choice
2. select a word in the title or subtitle of your first book and make one of the following changes. Read a book with that new word in the title or subtitle.
A. add one letter or character to that word:
B. subtract one letter or character from that word:
C. swap one letter or character in the word for a different letter:

30.4 - Donna Jo's task: Double or Nothing
2 dice 2 books published before 1975
Book A.3 odd= authors name contains double consonents
Book B. 5 odd = consecutive words that begin with the same letter

30.5 - Butterflycager's task: Christmas Carolling
2 books: choose carol from the list: book with 2 of the same words as the carol

30.7 - Delicious Dee's task: Don't Judge a Book By Its Cover
2 books: flip 2 coins
If you get 1 heads and 1 tails,
Cover I Don't like:
Cover I Like:

Completed Tasks:
30.6 - Sassafrass's task: The Many Facets of EARTH
4. Unbearable Lightness A Story of Loss and Gain by Portia de Rossi 5. First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1) by Jeaniene Frost

Total Points Earned: 30

message 37: by Jex (last edited Dec 26, 2011 02:16PM) (new)

Jex (Jexball) | 2216 comments January Reading Plans:

On Hold at Library:
Juliet Immortal BOM
Feed BOM
The Girl in the Steel Corset BOM, NYEMB

Stuff I Need:
Read Your Bday - 2
All About You - T
Masquerade - Dress, Transport, Music, Food, Drink
Read the Alpha - K, Q, W, Y, Z

message 38: by Jex (last edited Dec 29, 2011 05:58PM) (new)

Jex (Jexball) | 2216 comments 2012 Goodreads Awards Challenge
Start: January 1st, 2012
Ends: December 31st, 2012

Ok...here's books on the list that interest me. Some are duplicated across categories. Just because it's on the list doesn't mean I'm going to read it. It's just there for reference.

Goal: Read 30
Complete: 1/30

Best Fiction:
1Q84
The Peach Keeper
Sing You Home
Night Road
State of Wonder
The Submission

_______________Left OFF____________________

Best Mystery & Thriller:
Before I Go to Sleep

Best Historical Fiction:
The Paris Wife
The Dovekeepers
The Sisters Brothers
Madame Tussaud: A Novel of the French Revolution

Best Fantasy:
The Night Circus

Best Paranormal Fantasy:
A Discovery of Witches

Best Science Fiction:
11/22/63
Ready Player One
When She Woke

Best Horror:
Graveminder
What the Night Knows

Best Humor:
Bossypants
Go the Fuck to Sleep
If You Ask Me: And of Course You Won't
If You Were Here: A Novel

Best Nonfiction:
The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth: Popularity, Quirk Theory and Why Outsiders Thrive After High School
Cinderella Ate My Daughter: Dispatches from the Frontlines of the New Girlie-Girl Culture
It Gets Better: Coming Out, Overcoming Bullying, and Creating a Life Worth Living
The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry

Best History & Biography:
Steve Jobs
In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin
Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman
The Eighty-Dollar Champion: Snowman, the Horse That Inspired a Nation

Best Memoir & Auto-Biography:
Two Kisses for Maddy: A Memoir of Loss and Love
A Stolen Life
Stories I Only Tell My Friends
My Lucky Life in and Out of Show Business

Best Young Adult Fiction:
Lola and the Boy Next Door
What Happened to Goodbye
Beauty Queens

Best Young Adult Fantasy & Science Fiction: