Fantasy Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What are you reading in... > What are you reading in January 2011?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 91) (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne (jeannekc) A new year has started, what are you reading this month?

message 2: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 136 comments Just about finished with A Clash of Kings.
Think I am gonna keep going and head right into A Storm of Swords and then A Feast for Crows. Looking forward to the series on HBO and want to be read up by then.

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (captain_sir_roddy) I am finishing up a read of Pamela Freeman's wonderful fantasy, The Castings Trilogy, which is truly quite superb, and very well written!

I am preparing to read Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings.

I am also re-reading Melville's Moby-Dick, or, The Whale, and Ted Hughes' adaptation of Tales from Ovid.

I just finished completely re-reading Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series for the umpteenth time from late-October through December. I am still finding nuggets of important information buried in those volumes!

message 4: by Elise (new)

Elise (ghostgurl) | 608 comments Well last month I read The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett, which I didn't enjoy as much as I would have hoped. I also finished 1984 by George Orwell, which was one of the scariest books I've ever read, but very good.

This month I'm reading Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder. I'm over half way through and totally hooked.

message 5: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla VdL (dunnopris) | 5 comments Almost finishing with reading the Narnian series..
Next i'll be reading Lord of the rings! going to be sweet :)

message 6: by Laurel (new)

Laurel January is about trying new things, and making resolutions. So, my January is going to shape up like this:

I want to read a few well reviewed graphic novels - American Vampire Vol. 1 by Scott Snyder Kill Shakespeare Volume 1 by Conor McCreery Batwoman Elegy by Greg Rucka The Dark Tower The Long Road Home by Robin Furth The Dark Tower Treachery by Robin Furth

I'm hoping to finally get through a sic fi classic - Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1) by Frank Herbert

I'm going to curl up with a few favorite authors - Horns by Joe Hill The Long Walk by Stephen King Komarr (Vorkosigan Saga, #11) by Lois McMaster Bujold A Civil Campaign (Vorkosigan Saga, #12) by Lois McMaster Bujold

Finally, I'm going to try a few new authors/series - The Magicians by Lev Grossman Little, Big (Trade Paperback) by John Crowley Seven for a Secret by Elizabeth Bear

message 7: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 124 comments I'm taking January off in a way to read whatever strikes my fancy. So far that's been Sense and Sensibility, The Eye of the World, and Once a Hero.

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (captain_sir_roddy) Lindsey wrote: "I'm taking January off in a way to read whatever strikes my fancy. So far that's been Sense and Sensibility, The Eye of the World, and Once a Hero."

Isn't "Sense and Sensibility" just a great novel! I re-read two or three Austen novels each year. I never tire of them. Enjoy, Lindsey!

message 9: by Lindsey (last edited Jan 06, 2011 03:53PM) (new)

Lindsey | 124 comments Christopher wrote: "Isn't "Sense and Sensibility" just a great novel! I re-read two or three Austen novels each year. I never tire of them. Enjoy, Lindsey!"

I definitely think that Austen is one of those authors who get better with time and experience. Emma is still my favorite, but S&S was definitely good!

Strangely, re-reading Eye of the World is producing the same response; there was a lot that I missed the first couple times through.

message 10: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (Tonyanc) | 8 comments I'm still reading Mistborn: The Final Empire from December and I got a e-reader from Santa also and have Red Seas Under Red Skiesand Side Jobs: Stories From the Dresden Fileson it that I'm reading.

message 11: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 532 comments Tonyanc wrote: "I'm still reading Mistborn: The Final Empire from December and I got a e-reader from Santa also and have Red Seas Under Red Skiesand Side Jobs: Stories From the Dresden Fileson it that I'm reading."

Good luck in reading Mistborn. You really should read the other two in the trilogy, maybe skip Side Jobs, wait three more month for Ghost Story.

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (captain_sir_roddy) Well you guys and gals made me do it. Yup!

After reading a lot of sincerely high praise for Steven Erikson's series, "The Malazon Book of the Fallen" here on FBC, I drove over to my local bookstore tonight and purchased the first four volumes in the series. I had read the first book, "Gardens of the Moon" right after it first came out, but I obviously wasn't ready for it then as I really struggled with it.

I have a plane flight tomorrow for business, and it is going in the bag with me. I'm stoked to start anew and really explore this world that Erikson has created! Wish me luck!

message 13: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 52 comments Currently reading Spy Glass but after that I'm going to try and branch out into fiction rather than reading just fantasy, so I've got The White Tiger and Half of a Yellow Sun lined up for after that.

message 14: by Hans (new)

Hans (Abaia) Good luck, Christopher :) The series is a flawed masterpiece, but the good things certainly outweigh the bad things.

I've just finished Stonewielder, which incidently is also a Malazan novel. It was quite good but nothing extraordinary.

For the rest of January I hope to readMoving Pictures, The Complete Persepolis, The Windup Girl as well as American Vampire Vol. 1

message 15: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Landmark (clandmark) | 108 comments I'm currently reading The Castings Trilogy by Pamela Freeman and I totally agree with Christopher. This is a well-written and enjoyable fantasy so far.

message 16: by Nita (last edited Jan 07, 2011 09:03AM) (new)

Nita (gillnit) About half way through The Eye of the World. Enjoying and taking my time with it. Brandon Sanderson is reading the book too and posting some of his thoughts on twitter. Reading his thoughts is making the reading experience fun and eye-opening. He has read them before and has studied them, obviously, so he is catching things I completely missed and don't completely understand. But hopefully as I read the series, things will become clearer. :D

Also reading a non-fiction book The Wordy Shipmates. It is about the puritan group that sails to the New England on the Arbella in 1630. Vowell is pretty funny and seems to know what she is talking about.

message 17: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (rocktopusjones) I'm hoping to finish Moby-Dick or, The Whale, The Curse of the Mistwraith, The Mountains of California by John Muir, The Dragonbone Chair and Assassin's Apprentice.

I was also reading To Light A Candle, but it's losing me. The first book was so fun I could barely put it down, but this one is dragging.

Next up will be Sabriel, The Name of the Wind and The Way of Shadows. On the "Classics" shelf, I hope to read The Four Feathers.

message 18: by Bill (last edited Jan 08, 2011 08:06AM) (new)

Bill (kernos) | 320 comments I just finished the glorious The Curse of the Mistwraith and will continue [series:The War of Light and Shadow]*. Between these I will be reading David Gerrold of Star Trek fame novels, beginning with the Star Wolf series. Also I am reading a couple of book club selections: Probation and The Carnivorous Lamb

*I've been trying to get the GR powers to develop a [series:series name] tag, like the book, author and cover tags. They are resisting. If you think this a good idea, please support:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...

message 19: by Emma (new)

message 20: by Nita (new)

Nita (gillnit) Well, finished The Eye of the World and liked it quite a bit. I enjoyed the story and cared for the characters for the most part (Nynaeve was a bit annoying). Perrin's character intrigues me the most and I really look forward to more of his part to this story. I also look forward to learning more about the Aes Sedai and their society and beliefs.

Now startingThe Windup Girl.

message 21: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 124 comments Nita wrote: "About half way through The Eye of the World. Enjoying and taking my time with it. Brandon Sanderson is reading the book too and posting some of his thoughts on twitter...."

That's why I started rereading it this month. Don't know if I'll stick with the whole series as he does this in preparation for writing the last book, but so far it's been a lot of fun to read his thoughts. It's helping me pick up some things I missed the first time.

message 22: by Adam (new)

Adam I have just finished The Summoner chronicles after a 2 year hiatus from the 1st book, only to discover that the 3rd and 4th books were written during my foray into other authors. I must say was very please with this quartet and im VERY much looking forward to the new trilogy out in February. A recommended MUST read for a heroic fantasy.

Presently im reading my secret santa gift American Gods. A nice change from the usual.

message 23: by Adam (new)

Adam Kevin wrote: "Tonyanc wrote: "I'm still reading Mistborn: The Final Empire from December and I got a e-reader from Santa also and have Red Seas Under Red Skiesand Side Jobs: Stories From the Dresden Fileson it t..." Mistborn gets a little draining but hang in there its not to bad

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) Adam wrote: "I have just finished The Summoner chronicles after a 2 year hiatus from the 1st book, only to discover that the 3rd and 4th books were written during my foray into other authors. I m..."

Glad to find another 'Chronicles of the Necromancer' fan. I'm also highly ancitipating The Sworn - the first in the Fallen King's cycle.

In a way you're lucky that you too a break. The wait between the cliffhanger ending of book 3 and the release of book 4 was far too long for my tastes. LOL

message 25: by Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (last edited Jan 12, 2011 03:13PM) (new)

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (captain_sir_roddy) In January 2011, I've read--

Finished Tales from Ovid adapted by Ted Hughes
Finished The Castings Trilogy by Pamela Freeman
Finished Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson
Reading Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson

I really am completely gobsmacked at the sophistication of "The Malazan Book of the Fallen" series. This is some seriously good stuff!

message 26: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 46 comments Colleen ~blackrose~ wrote: "Adam wrote: "I have just finished The Summoner chronicles after a 2 year hiatus from the 1st book, only to discover that the 3rd and 4th books were written during my foray into other..."

I actually won a copy of the first book from the author not long after it was published, but I didn't ever quite start reading it. Should I put it back on my TBR list then?

message 27: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) | 1947 comments I confess to taking it easy this month and last, rereading some favorites. Nevertheless, I have listened to a few 'candy' books and have a current month shelf.

message 28: by Emma (new)

Emma Starting Troy: Lord of the Silver Bow by David Gemmell.
I've heard some great opinions, so I'm anxious to see how good it really is.

message 29: by Tina (new)

Tina (nicotinca) I'm reading Poison Study now, and will start on The Waste Lands after that. I think it will be all I have time for in January, college takes all my time atm.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) Kerry wrote: "I actually won a copy of the first book from the author not long after it was published, but I didn't ever quite start reading it. Should I put it back on my TBR list then? "

Well, I would say yes, of course, since I really liked the series. But I'll also believe in full disclosure, so:

There's nothing particularly original about the books, especially not at the start. They're stock sword & sorcery types characters in stock situations. However, for me, they were written so well, so believably, that I didn't really care about the clicheness of some of the story, because I cared about the characters and wanted to read about what happened to them and how they dealt with it.

So, if you're all about the originality factor, then you might not like it. But if you can deal with a sort of standard story, but well written, then you might.

I'll also add that hubbie, with whom I generally have similar tastes, though it was slow going at the start, but I didn't think the set-up was all that slow, so I guess opinions vary on pacing. :>

message 31: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 46 comments Thanks, Colleen. I'll seriously consider it, but the TBR is already pretty big.

message 32: by Karen (new)

Karen (MeaninglessName) | 16 comments This month I finished:
A Spell for Chameleon by Piers Anthony, which was pretty good.

I'm working on:
Between a Rock and a Hard Place by Aron Ralston I know this isn't fantasy, but actually non-fiction. But still, it is AMAZING.
Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey which I like so far.
Eldest by Christopher Paolini which I'm not very far into yet, but it's already exciting. I loved Eragon, and I'm really into this.
And I'm still working on The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection From the Living Dead by Max Brooks.

message 33: by Elise (new)

Elise (ghostgurl) | 608 comments Finished Poison Study. Loved it enough to jump into the next book in the series, Magic Study

message 34: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 532 comments Reading Silverthorn, not liking the first 100 pages or so of events leading up, not at all explained on the back of the book.

message 35: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Finished all the Harry Potter books so far (reread), as well as:
Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt Firebird (Fairy Tales, #1) by Mercedes Lackey

Currently reading:
Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Legend (Drenai Tales, #1) (Druss, #1) by David Gemmell

message 36: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Landmark (clandmark) | 108 comments I'm presently reading The Castings Trilogy and loving it! I'd highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys fantasy. I'm also reading The Titan's Curse, the third book in the Percy Jackson series.

message 37: by Hélène (new)

Hélène (HlneB) | 33 comments I'm reading Furies of Calderon. Next will be The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

So far this month I've read Waterfall Dance, Wuthering Heights, and A Wizard of Earthsea.

I'm currently reading North and South.

message 39: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Donegal wrote: "So far this month I've read Waterfall Dance, Wuthering Heights, and A Wizard of Earthsea.

I'm currently reading North and South."

North ans South! It's an upcoming on my to-read as well. I've been wanting to get my hands on it ever since watching the BBC TV Series. I absolutely loved it, can't wait to read the full story behind it.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Sarah wrote: North ans South! It's an upcoming on my to-read as well. I've been wanting to get my hands on it ever since watching the BBC TV Series. I absolutely loved it, can't wait to read the full story behind it.

I loved the miniseries, too. It's how I originally heard of Gaskell, whose work I have so far really enjoyed. I'm going to have to get my hands on that BBC miniseries as soon as I finish the book; I haven't seen it in years!

message 41: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) | 1947 comments Donegal wrote: "Sarah wrote: North ans South! It's an upcoming on my to-read as well. I've been wanting to get my hands on it ever since watching the BBC TV Series. I absolutely loved it, can't wait to read the fu..."

You guys are making it sound good, so I added it to my pile. The Nookbook is only 1.00!

message 42: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) | 1947 comments And the BBC series is available on Netflix instant play.

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (captain_sir_roddy) Elizabeth Gaskell is an amazingly terrific author. I read pretty much most of her works during 2008 and 2009. Her last novel, "Wives and Daughters" is fabulous; and the BBC made an excellent film adaptation of it as well. Have fun with Gaskell, she is well worth reading!

message 44: by John (new)

John Beachem | 373 comments Not hitting much fantasy this month. Currently working on Larry Correia's [Book: Monst Hunter Vendetta]. The guy's books may be little more than b-horror flicks in novel form, but he knows how to keep a story moving.

message 45: by Eric (new)

Eric (eterrell3) Hey all, jumping back into some fantasy after a lengthy diversion into the horror realm...

Currently reading and enjoying Elantris. My first foray into Sanderson's work. Looks like I've got a lot of good readin to look forward to!

message 46: by Bill (last edited Jan 18, 2011 06:32AM) (new)

Bill (kernos) | 320 comments Emma wrote: "Starting Troy: Lord of the Silver Bow by David Gemmell.
I've heard some great opinions, so I'm anxious to see how good it really is."

I really like Gemmell. I have read his Drenai and Rigante series and have Troy on order.

Please let me know how you like it and how historical it seems.

I am now about 16% of the way into Ships of Merior and just read the chapter Masque last night, a most remarkable chapter.

message 47: by Alan (last edited Jan 17, 2011 07:27AM) (new)

Alan Duggan (dugie) Just finished Graceling by Kristin Cashore and i am now starting Magician by Raymond E. Feist.

message 48: by Emma (last edited Jan 17, 2011 06:56AM) (new)

Emma Kernos wrote: "Emma wrote: "Starting Troy: Lord of the Silver Bow by David Gemmell.
I've heard some great opinions, so I'm anxious to see how good it really is."

I really like Gemme..."

I absolutely loved the book. I even wrote a review, so you might want to check it out :)

It does have a very strong historical vibe to it, with some references to the Greek Mythology obviously, and to the bible. Of course, that doesn't make it historically accurate or anything.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if you weren't happy with your order :)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) Alan wrote: "Just finished Graceling by Kristen Cashore and i am now starting Magician by Raymond E. Feist."

What did you think of Graceling? I'm scheduled to read it in April, but I've heard mixed things.

message 50: by Qylie (new)

Qylie | 33 comments IS there no book reading for the group this month?

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Clash of Kings (other topics)
A Feast for Crows (other topics)
A Storm of Swords (other topics)
Moby-Dick (other topics)
Tales from Ovid: 24 Passages from the Metamorphoses (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Brandon Sanderson (other topics)
David Gerrold (other topics)
Juliet Marillier (other topics)
Michael J. Sullivan (other topics)
David Gemmell (other topics)
More...