The Next Best Book Club discussion

Personal Reading Goals > Eric's 2011 Reading Goal

Comments (showing 1-28 of 28) (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric (last edited Jan 06, 2011 06:00AM) (new)

Eric | 382 comments In 2009 I chose 40 books and met my goal. In 2010 I raised my goal to 50 and didn't even reach 40 books. I think I am going to drop it back down to 40 books again for 2011. Hopefully, I'll overachieve and reach 50 plus books instead.

Book Goal For The Year: 40 Books
Page Goal For The Year: 10000 Pages

message 2: by Eric (last edited Jan 12, 2011 08:52AM) (new)

Eric | 382 comments Book 1
The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins
The Hunger Games
Suzanne Collins

This was a fairly good book and I can see why people are absorbed by this series. I know because I look forward to reading the other two book, as well.

The concept was interesting with the setting being a rebuilt and alternate western United States. I hope that the author expands on this in the next books, as I suspect that she will.

The characters were interesting and fun to read about and the story kept you moving forward and wondering how everything will be resolved. My only complaint is of the main character's ignorance. There were several times where the author blatantly tell the reader something through the main character's eyes, yet the main character keeps remaining oblivious to the obvious. This is clearly done to heighten the story, but I found it most annoying when things are said to and actions performed to the main character, but she is still claiming to be confused, to not understand what motivations are, and to feel she is being tricked about stuff.

Overall though, I did enjoy this book and it is a great story for ages teen and up.

4 Stars
-----
Book 1
January 1 to January 10
374 Pages
Pages For Year: 374

message 3: by Cebrina (new)

Cebrina | 6 comments I also enjoyed The Hunger Games. I loved how fast paced it was and how the Collins had an active female protagonist. So often, authors will have a female protagonist but she will still heavily rely on others instead of herself.

message 4: by Eric (new)

Eric | 382 comments Book 2
The Unseen by T. L. Hines
The Unseen
T.L. Hines

I didn't care for this book very much. Although, it was nothing like what I thought it would be, I continued to read it and give it a fair chance.

This book was extremely odd and at times fairly creepy as well. Even though I didn't care for the story very much, it did keep me wanting to know what was going to happen next. Lasty, as in this book, the idea of people in the walls of my home or work is enough to give me nightmares.

This book was creepy but also weird...Way too weird for me.

2 Stars
-----
Book2
January 11 to January 31
383 Pages
Pages For Year: 757

message 5: by Eric (new)

Eric | 382 comments Book 3
These Children Who Come at You with Knives, and Other Fairy Tales Stories by Jim Knipfel
These Children Who Come at You with Knives
Jim Knipfel

This book is a collection of fairly tales written for the adult. There is swearing, violence, etc mixed in with the usual gnomes, dwarves, fairy tale stigmas.

I can't say I much cared for it. Right off the bat, I can say that the only story I really liked in the whole book was the Preface. I think that says a lot right there.

The rest of the stories each had their funny moments, but overall left me unfulfilled. I'm not sure exactly what I'm trying to say exactly, but if you want fairy tales, stick to the classics.

2 Stars
-----
Book 3
February 1 to February 6
229 Pages
Total For Year: 986

message 6: by Eric (last edited Mar 15, 2011 12:22PM) (new)

Eric | 382 comments Book 4
Big Fish by Daniel Wallace
Big Fish
Daniel Wallace

I've seen the movie a few times and always found it to be a bit magical and creative so I decided to read the book. I hate to say it, but I liked the movie better. The two are similar and follow the same path (for the most part) but, somehow, Tim Burton was able to inject some extra magic into the story. Don't get me wrong, the book is ok, but just left me a bit dry.

3 Stars
-----
Book 4
February 6 to February 19
180 Pages
Total For Year: 1166

message 7: by Eric (new)

Eric | 382 comments Book 5
Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank
Alas, Babylon
Pat Frank

This was a pretty good book focused on what would happen to people if America was bombed out by Russia. The author's, Pat Frank, writing is smooth and fluid and keeps you turning pages. The story was well written and fairly believable if not a bit boring at times. Picturing living in a world without order, I imagine a bit more chaos than Mr. Frank describe but this is still an enjoyable read with likeable characters. If you like end-of-the-world type books, give this one a try.

3 Stars
-----
Book 5
February 19 to April 15
322 Pages
Total For Year: 1488

message 8: by Eric (new)

Eric | 382 comments Book 6
The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11) by Lemony Snicket
A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Grim Grotto
Lemony Snicket

I don't know what to say here. By the time you reach this book in the series (#11), you have read the same story over and over and over again. I am very bored with the series and am just trying to power through the last couple books to be done with them.

The series stated out interesting but was dragged out way too long. I think if the author had designed this as a 7 book series it would have been exceptionally more enjoyable.

2 Stars
-----
Book 6
January 1 to April 18
323 Pages
Total For Year: 1811

message 9: by Eric (new)

Eric | 382 comments Book 7
The Penultimate Peril (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #12) by Lemony Snicket
A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Penultimate Peril
Lemony Snicket

The series is finally winding down with this book. The story here was more entertaining than in past books and is clearly setting up for the finale. I am curious as to what is going to happen in the last book but am also glad that this series is almost over.

3 Stars
-----
April 19 to April 23
353 Pages
Total For Year: 2164

message 10: by Eric (new)

Eric | 382 comments Book 8
The End (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #13) by Lemony Snicket
A Series of Unfortunate Events: The End
Lemony Snicket

Finally, I finished this series. I can't say that I am sad that it's over. As a whole, I found the series repetitive and dull with exception to 1 or 2 books. This book, the last one, is lackluster and anti-climactic and just plain boring. All the books, including this one have a moment or two of humor that made me laugh but then it's followed by dull stretches that make my eye twitch. I have to say that I would never read this series again and I can't recommend it to others.

2 Stars
-----
April 24 to April 29
334 Pages
Total For Year: 2498

message 11: by Eric (new)

Eric | 382 comments Book 9
Lord of the Flies by William Golding
Lord of the Flies
William Golding

I read this once in high school years ago and, because I was in high school, I don't think I really appreciated the story. Therefore, I decided to read it again now that I enjoy a good book more than I used to.

At first, I couldn't get into this. I thought it was tough to read a kind of drab. But as I continued with the story, I really got into it more and couldn't put it down. The author really sets a strong lesson about humanity in this book that is reinforced by the fact that this story almost seems believable.

The kids in this story seem realistic in their behavior and attitude and the author makes the island believable. I recommend giving this a read even if you didn't like it when they forced you to read it in high school.

On a side note: A lot of this story and some of the characters really reminded me of the show LOST. I am sure that they took some inspiration from this book (as well as many others.)

3 Stars
-----
April 30 to May 15
205 Pages
Total For Year: 2703

message 12: by Eric (last edited Jul 03, 2011 02:27PM) (new)

Eric | 382 comments Book 10
One Day by David Nicholls
One Day
David Nicholls

I went into this book knowing it would be okay. The reviews were good and recommendations were high, but this really isn't my kind of book. After reading this, I discovered that I had severely underestimated the quality of this book.

This is easily a 5 star book in my eyes. The story had me on an emotional roller coaster of joy, anger, sadness, and back again. Both the main characters were extremely likable and I really really really enjoyed the playful banter between the two of them. I was always needing to know what would happen next. And the author was great and had a way of keeping you in suspense even while you were reading what was happening, which I found creative and original.

Like I said, I am not normally a reader of books like this, but I can't recommend this enough. Even if this is not your thing, pick it up, and refresh your palate from what you normally read. You'll thank me.

5 Stars
-----
May 15 to June 2
435 Pages
Total For Year: 3138

message 13: by Eric (new)

Eric | 382 comments Book 11
The Internet is a Playground by David Thorne
The Internet is a Playground
David Thorne

This book was, kind of, split into two types of chapters. The main chapters of the book were humorous, and sometimes hilarious and encompassed about half of the book. The rest of the chapters were silly, boring, pointless, and just seemed like filler to make the book longer.

The main chapters were just reprints of the authors email correspondence with various people where he messes with them or eggs them on. These were funny and if the book were just these, it would have rated much higher. It was the rest of the chapters that really ruined this book.

Unfortunately, I have to say that I don't recommend reading this book.

2 Stars
-----
June 3 to June 10
224 Pages
Total For Year: 3362

message 14: by Eric (last edited Jul 03, 2011 02:34PM) (new)

Eric | 382 comments Book 12
In Fifty Years We'll All Be Chicks by Adam Carolla
In Fifty Years We'll All Be Chicks
Adam Carolla

This was a funny book. I've always been a fan of Adam Carolla and his rants and raves and this book was no let down. He had something to say about almost everything and often his book had me laughing out loud. He also touches on some history from time to time and talked about his childhood and growing up which I found fun and interesting, as well. If you are looking for something funny to read, give this book a try.

3 Stars
-----
June 11 to July 2
264 Pages
Total For Year: 3626

message 15: by Eric (new)

Eric | 382 comments Book 13
Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson
Robopocalypse
Daniel H. Wilson

I really, really, really enjoyed this book. It was well written and kept me absorbed until the very end. I couldn't put this down. The characters were all well conceived and plot was original. I rarely give books 5 stars on this site, but this book earned it. Great Read!

5 Stars
-----
July 3 to July 14
348 Pages
Total For Year: 3974

message 16: by Eric (new)

Eric | 382 comments Book 14
The Bedwetter Stories of Courage, Redemption, and Pee  by Sarah Silverman
The Bedwetter
Sarah Silverman

This was a good book. Sarah Silverman has certainly had some funny moments in her life that translate well into a book. Her stories were interesting and well written and often made me laugh out loud. The book is very...well, Sarah Silverman-ish, so if you like her comedy you'll like this book. If you're not a fan of her stand-up, then you might want to pass on this.

3 Stars
-----
July 10 to August 10
237 Pages
Total For Year: 4211

message 17: by Eric (last edited Aug 11, 2011 07:44AM) (new)

Eric | 382 comments Book 15
Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7) by J.A. Konrath
Shaken
J.A. Konrath

After being a little disappointed with the last book in the series, I was a little hesitent to start this one. I was wrong to feel that way, because Konrath rehooked me with this latest story. I felt this was one of the best installments in the series and it had me hooked until the very last page. The story kept pushing forward and had me guessing to what would happen next. Jack Daniels kicks ass and I can't wait to read the next one. Please don't stop writing this series and keep them coming, Mr. Konrath.

4 Stars
-----
July 15 to August 11
262 Pages
Total For Year: 4473

message 18: by Eric (new)

Eric | 382 comments Book 16
Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins
Catching Fire
Suzanne Collins

Another great story in the the Hunger Games trilogy. I don't want to say much due to spoilers, but if you liked the 1st book, you'll love this one too. I can't wait to read the final book in the series and see what happens.

4 Stars
-----
August 12 to September 1
391 Pages
Total For Year: 4864

message 19: by Eric (new)

Eric | 382 comments Book 17
The Walking Dead Compendium Vol. 1 by Robert Kirkman
The Walking Dead: Compendium Vol. 1

This is a gigantic whopper of a a book collecting the first 48 issues of the popular comic book. This was worth the read. The story was engaging and enjoyable. It goes slightly "over the top" at times but manages to real itself back in nicely. I look forward to Vol. 2 and seeing what happens next.

4 Stars
-----
September 11 to September 25
1088 Pages
Total For Year: 5952

message 20: by Eric (last edited Oct 24, 2011 02:45PM) (new)

Eric | 382 comments Book 18
Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins
Mockingjay
Suzanne Collins

I was pretty disappointed with this book. Although entertaining at times, I found it to be a poor and lackluster finale to an otherwise great series. The main character was all over the place mentally and the story was kind of plodding. I found it difficult to finish this through. The score of 3 stars is generous. It is bumped up simply because the other 2 books in the series are so good and you can't read those without finishing with this one.

3 Stars
-----
September 26 to October 8
398 Pages
Total For Year: 6350

message 21: by Eric (last edited Oct 24, 2011 02:45PM) (new)

Eric | 382 comments Book 19
Supergods What Masked Vigilantes, Miraculous Mutants, and a Sun God from Smallville Can Teach Us about Being Human by Grant Morrison
Supergods
Grant Morrison

This is a nonfiction book talking mainly about comic book history but also about the author's involvement in writing comics as well. It started out really interesting until about 1/3rd of the way through.

At this point the author (an excellent comic book writer btw) began to turn inward on himself and his history and the history of comics that he wrote. Unfortunately, I found this part to be horrendously boring and it is about 1/3rd of the book as well.

The last 1/3rd of the book was interesting again as it focused on current generation of comics and how the pertain to us, etc. It was a little more engaging.

As a whole the book was okay. The author crammed the entire history of comics into a normal sized book and still had time to talk about his involvement as well. It was bound to be a bit boring at times.

3 Stars
-----
October 9 to October 24
444 Pages
Total For Year: 6794

message 22: by Eric (new)

Eric | 382 comments Book 20
Hold Tight by Harlan Coben
Hold Tight
Harlan Coben

A faily good book involving a missing child tied in with a conspiracy tied in with a murder tied in with a terrorist cult tied in with...

3 Stars
-----
October 8 to October 24
416 Pages
Total For Year: 7210

message 23: by Michael (new)

Michael (book_nerd1991) I have 68 books this year, my goal is 75, so far.

message 24: by Eric (new)

Eric | 382 comments Book 21
Jack Daniels Stories by J.A. Konrath
Jack Daniels Stories
J.A. Konrath

I loved, loved, loved, this collection of stories in the Jack Daniels universe. The stories were varied and interesting and the book was laid out very well. As a fan of the series, this was a great way to get a taste of all of the ins and out of the main characters. Also, I am a big fan of the side character Harry McGlade, so I was glad to have a few stories with him in the spotlight.

If your a fan of the series already, this is a must read. If you are new to the series, this would be a great way to get to know the characters and get started.

5 Stars
-----
October 22 to October 27
314 Pages
Total For Year: 7524

message 25: by Eric (new)

Eric | 382 comments Book 22
Room by Emma Donoghue
Room
Emma Donoghue

This was an excellent, excellent book told from the perspective of a 5 year old boy. The writing was awesome and the story easily induced an array of emotion in me from anger, to sadness, to everything in between. The only negative that I have is that I wish the 1st half of this book was a little longer and that the 2nd half was a little shorter. That being said, it still doesn't stop me from giving 5 stars to this excellent book.

5 Stars
-----
321 Pages
Total For Year: 7845

message 26: by Eric (last edited Nov 25, 2011 08:54AM) (new)

Eric | 382 comments Book 23
Pariah by Bob Fingerman
Pariah
Bob Fingerman

This was an interesting book. It was original and different than any other zombie book I've ever read. The author definitely created some convincing characters and the story was intriguing. It did seem that he left a lot of questions unanswered though. Read it, but you won't be blown away.

3 Stars
-----
October 28 to November 13
368 Pages
Total For Year: 8213

message 27: by Eric (new)

Eric | 382 comments Book 24
The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
The Phantom Tollbooth
Norton Juster

A strange book that reminds me of an Alice in Wonderland that is full of wordplay and puns. Worth reading once, but never again.

3 Stars
-----
November 14 to November 23
272 Pages
Total For Year: 8485

message 28: by Eric (new)

Eric | 382 comments Book 25
Relic (Pendergast, #1) by Douglas Preston
Relic
Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child

I enjoyed this book. It was a good solid read that kept me turning pages to see what would happen next. The character's were likeable and enjoyable to read about. Not a bad read.

3 Stars
-----
November 23 to December 19
480 Pages
Total For Year:8965

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Hunger Games (other topics)
The Unseen (other topics)
These Children Who Come at You with Knives, and Other Fairy Tales: Stories (other topics)
Big Fish (other topics)
Alas, Babylon (other topics)
More...