Twilight VS. Harry potter discussion

Character Discussions > Ok.. how did Edward Cullen get Bella pregnant when he has no blood?

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Didi (DidiGiraffe) | 3 comments Its physically impossible for Edaward to get Bella pregnant. he has no blood. Therfore he cannot get and erection. Or ejaculate.

See? This was an error.

LittleDolphin | 19 comments Mod
:P Actually, there is an explanation and it is possible. Because it was subject sensitive for younger readers it wasn't put into the books. Once the question was asked Meyer gave her answer. The reason Bella was able to conceive Edward's child was because male vampires have a special type of venom. I think (it's been a while since I read the books) that Carlisle didn't even know it was possible. Anyways, vampires have a venom to change humans into vampires, right? So Stephenie Meyer explained that when turned human blood is replaced by that venom. So like there are different types of blood cells there are different types of venoms. And that's about it. Male vampires have a certain type of venom that replaces semen and that's why Edward was able to impregnate Bella.

~♥Alyssa♥~ (Lyssie123) | 26 comments ....Haha, I hate arguing with you LittleDolphin, but I personally think that's a cop-out on Stephenie Meyer's part.

If you're squeamish, you may want to skip over this.... In reproduction, semen isn't what makes a baby. It's the sperm in the semen. Sperm are living cells. Edward is dead - his cells have been burned and crystallized by venom, as described by Stephenie Meyer herself. Therefore his sex cells (sperm) are also dead. Dead cells aren't functional. His sperm couldn't pass on DNA and fertilize an egg. So no, it really shouldn't be possible for him to get Bella pregnant.

And if she's brave enough to put sex in her books (which younger audiences read), I don't see why she couldn't use the word "semen."

However, because this is a fictional book, I am perfectly happy to accept the excuse "magic." :)

I hate arguing with you too. =/

Anyways, details, details. It's been a while since I read the article, but the way Stephenie explained it was that it was this certain type of venom that enabled him to get Bella pregnant. As I said before like there are different cells there are different venoms that replace them. So if you get past the part of him being dead and realize that there are these different venoms that replace the cells it is possible. It's how she explained it and if that's what the author says then it's legit because it's her book, her characters, her world that she made up.

She didn't really put any scenes into the book. It was just implied so really, based on how they're classifying movies now, it was pretty PG. It's not that she couldn't use the word it's that it would have been really long and detailed to explain which would have made it not PG.

Yeah, and that's something I think a lot of people need to do when discussing these books. I mean, it's not like there aren't any screw ups in Harry Potter, which there are.

~♥Alyssa♥~ (Lyssie123) | 26 comments Sigh. Well, we could agree to disagree. ;)

Yeah, I just went and read her explanation on her website. I don't really agree with it (specialized semen-venom is NOT a replacement for a living cell needed to reproduce with a human) but since it is her book, I'll ignore it and give her the benefit of the doubt.

I suppose there aren't any scenes, but even "implied" would make it PG-13 if it were a movie.

Yeah, in all fantasy books there's going to be something unrealistic that doesn't make sense in real life. So maybe I just won't say anymore. :)

Didi (DidiGiraffe) | 3 comments Whoooaa! I wasnt really expecting any replies to this. I was thinking when i read the book that its actually impossible for Edward to get *cough* um hard . Because all the blood rushes to your private parts right? When your ... um excited. And so . Since he had no blood.

Aha. I didnt know Stephenie had a explanation ! Thanks for that ! i just , dont get the concept of dead cells (inside a vampire, which is dead) ,and dead special vampire semen having the ability (when inside a woman) to help create a baby . When the venom or semen , is actually dead.

I dunno. Im a bit confused.

message 7: by LittleDolphin (last edited Aug 13, 2011 01:23PM) (new)

Didi, I understand why you're confused. But instead of explaining it myself again I'll just post Stephenie Meyer's explanation in the next post. It is exactly copied from her website.

Alyssa, yeah, we could. But just this last thing, I don't really know. The way she explains it does make sense. And it is her book and she does say none of it is really possible because it's just a book.

"Now, on to the "how is this possible?" question. First of all, of course it's not possible. None of this story is possible. It's a fantasy story about creatures that don't actually exist. Within the context of the fantasy, however, this is how it works:

Vampires are physically similar enough to their human origins to pass as humans under some circumstances (like cloudy days). There are many basic differences. They appear to have skin like ours, albeit very fair skin. The skin serves the same general purpose of protecting the body. However, the cells that make up their skin are not pliant like our cells, they are hard and reflective like crystal. A fluid similar to the venom in their mouths works as a lubricant between the cells, which makes movement possible (note: this fluid is very flammable). A fluid similar to the same venom lubricates their eyes so that their eyes can move easily in their sockets. (However, they don't produce tears because tears exist to protect the eye from damage, and nothing is going to be able to scratch a vampire's eye.) The lubricant-venom in the eyes and skin is not able to infect a human the way saliva-venom can. Similarly, throughout the vampire's body are many versions of venom-based fluids that retain a marked resemblance to the fluid that was replaced, and function in much the same way and toward the same purpose. Though there is no venom replacement that works precisely like blood, many of the functions of blood are carried on in some form. Also, the nervous system runs in a slightly different but heightened way. Some involuntary reactions, like breathing, continue (in that specific example because vampires use the scents in the air much more than we do, rather than out of a need for oxygen). Other involuntary reactions, like blinking, don't exist because there is no purpose for them. The normal reactions of arousal are still present in vampires, made possible by venom-related fluids that cause tissues to react similarly as they do to an influx of blood. Like with vampire skin—which looks similar to human skin and has the same basic function—fluids closely related to seminal fluids still exist in male vampires, which carry genetic information and are capable of bonding with a human ovum. This was not a known fact in the vampire world (outside of Joham's personal experimenting) before Nessie, because it's nearly impossible for a vampire to be that near a human and not kill her."

-And that's her explanation.

~♥Alyssa♥~ (Lyssie123) | 26 comments My biggest problem with her explanation is that specialized venom isn't a replacement for living sex cells. Eggs can only be fertilized by sperm because they are living cells that carry the specific amount of DNA (23 chromosomes - not 23 pairs) to the egg. They are alive. None of Edward's cells are alive, and even if he still has sperm in his specialized semen-venom, the sperm is no longer functional. Besides, somehow vampires magically grow tow new pairs of chromosomes when they are changed (Carlisle says they have 25 pairs). The two extra pairs wouldn't just recombine with themselves. It doesn't match up to a human's 23 pairs, and that's the essential part of reproduction at the cellular level.

But yeah... since it's her book and she admits it's not really possible, like I said, I'll be satisfied. I just don't like how she seems to think it's a logical scientific explanation when it's NOT. And I like when authors can find a way to make fantasy seem possible, which she really doesn't.

unread topics | mark unread