The Next Best Book Club discussion

Group Read Discussions > Book Thief - Spoiler free

Comments (showing 1-50 of 109) (109 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 8591 comments Mod
This is for general discussion. Refrain from posting any spoilers here, we have a seperate thread for those. Let us know what you think as you go, how far in you are....

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather I read this book about a year ago and I loved it. But, I did wonder about its classification as YA literature. I think it's perfectly suited for YA readers, but will it appeal to them? I hope to hear your thoughts on it if you've finished the book or as you read it.

message 3: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 8591 comments Mod
I read this about oh... 6 months or so ago. and wasnt really that impressed with it overall. i guess I expected more, it starts out so beautifully, with an interesting narrator device, but its a book that loves to spoil itself... It got old for me pretty quick. I like to NOT know before I know, you know?

message 4: by Boof (new)

Boof I read it about 6 months ago and really, really enjoyed it. It was one of those books that packed such an emotional punch at the end that I walked round in a daze for days afterwards.

We read it at my bookclub that I go to and it was one of the biggest successes we have ever had. There are 15-20 people that go and there was only one person who said he could "take it or leave it".

message 5: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstybooks) | 618 comments I read it with the YA Book Club on GR in...March/April? I really enjoyed it, I was completely ensconced in it, and found myself crying in a number of places.

message 6: by Boof (new)

Boof I cried at a particular bit too Kirsty, but I would need to go onto the spoilers post to say which. Will do that when other people start posting so we can disucss.

message 7: by Mandy (new)

Mandy I read this a couple of years back and I thought it was good but unfortunately can't remember a lot about it but I do remember I really liked the narration. My mind will be jogged when I read through everyone's posts so I'm looking forward to hearing what you all think.

message 8: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 711 comments I found this at a used bookstore while I was away so I grabbed it. I figured even if it wasn't chosen I'd still want to read it.

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather Thanks Leppaluoto! I think I need more students like your daughter! I've suggested The Book Thief to several of my students, but they couldn't get past Death narrating the story and the discussion of colors. Several of the students did like another one Zusak's books called I am the Messenger.

message 10: by Tisha (new)

Tisha I have just started this book late last night and am only on page 56, but am intrigued. The choice of narrator is interesting and the observations/comments randomly inserted are a nice touch.

message 11: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 79 comments I am about 160 pages in and am enjoying the book so far. I like the narrator as well, it provides a different view into the lives of the character. I'm looking forward to continuing and seeing where it goes.

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather Leppaluoto - I checked out your daughter's shelves. She has some great books there. My students too loved the Ellen Hopkins' books. I'm also going to add several of the books your daughter read in my classroom.

message 13: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (Trina26) I have to agree with Lori, I wasn't very impressed with this book. I read I Am The Messenger first and love that book so much that this was sort of a let down. I too was expecting more since Death as a narrator is such and intriguing idea. I just couldn't get into the characters as much as I wanted to. Death was by far the most interesting voice. I felt that after novelty of Death wore off, the story got old and I got bored. I was so excited about this book that I was truely disappointed to not like it. Maybe you all can change my mind.

message 14: by Val (new)

Val Nichols | 159 comments Katrina, I think that to change your mind we need to talk in the "spoiler" thread. I'd hate to blurt out something about the book and ruin it for someone. But I'll say this: it took me a bit to get into it, but I LOVE this book. His writing is so expressive and I have come to care about these characters, even the ones that at first don't seem all that likeable.

message 15: by Boof (new)

Boof Tisha, just saw your post saying that no-one is discussing it so here I am. Which bit are you at?

message 16: by Tisha (new)

Tisha Yay...thank you!

I'm at the end of "The Attributes of Summer" page 149.

message 17: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments As I watch the post total creep up on the spoiler thread, I am getting more antsy to finish the book. I have about a hundred pages to go so I hope to finish it tomorrow.

message 18: by Tisha (new)

Tisha same here...I am posting there, because I do like discussing what I have read so far...but I am cautious as I read.

How far are you Jessica? I'm on page 247, in "The Gamblers (A Seven-Sided Die)" chapter.

message 19: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments I am on page 445, in "The Hidden Sketchbook." Do you think I'd be safe to head into the spoilers thread?

message 20: by Tisha (new)

Tisha Jessica,

Yes, you are safe. I've been in there and I'm only half done. There is one with a spoiler (end of book) alert...so avoid it, but otherwise your good. Just be cautious and starts the posts slowly, that's what I've been doing! :)

message 21: by Boof (new)

Boof Hi guys, just warning you that we have been talking about the ending in the spoiler thread so if you haven't got that far it may be best to stick to this one as I don't want to ruin it for you.

What does everyone think of it so far?

message 22: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 79 comments Thanks for the warning, Boof. I've been treading caustiously in there as I'm only about half way through, so I think I will stay out for now!

I'm enjoying the book so far. I'm sad for Liesel, I wish I could make things better for her and hope that she gets a break in the end.

message 23: by Tisha (new)

Tisha I've been dabbling in the Spoiler thread, but I'm staying out from now on. Tempation is an SOB though. I am enjoying the book... can't wait to see what happens.

message 24: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments I read on my lunch hour and I am 20 pages from the end. I was so mad when I had to get back to work! I need to finish it NOW, my drive home better go quickly.

message 25: by Marsha (new)

Marsha I am going to read this one late this month, because it is actually my IRL book club pick for September.

Val- You should think about driving down... we meet the third Thursday of the month. It's the Sno-Isle Mukilteo branch book club. Nice group of people. We are reading The Highest Tide for the 21st of this month.

message 26: by Val (new)

Val Nichols | 159 comments What time do you meet, Marsha? I would love to talk further about The Book Thief, as I thought it was fantastic. I had to take it back to my library today. :( Yes, I'll be buying it first chance I get!

message 27: by Linda (new)

Linda | 887 comments Val,

I loved the Book Thief as well. The whole narrator (won't spoil it) thing is amazing.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

This is the thread I've been savoring...although I'm really waiting for the spoiler thread but I am only 100 pages in right now. I scored last week before I left on my camping trip I stopped into my hometown library which I have not used in years and the librarian gave me two thumbs up for taking it out. I also found out that I owe $3.60 in late fees!

Anyway, I am really liking this book. I like the characters (except for one so far but isn't that the way it is supposed to be?) Maybe I am a young adult at heart...or maybe 31 is still a young adult...but this is good. For some reason I am reminded of Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. It may be due to the author using the asterisks and asides.

message 29: by Tisha (last edited Aug 11, 2008 12:23PM) (new)

Tisha Can't wait to hear what you think. I finished last week and really enjoyed it.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I will be all over the spoiler thread very soon after I finish. The other exciting part is this is my first TNBBC group read!

message 31: by Tisha (new)

Tisha It was mine too! I just started Book of Lost Things too.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I just had to email the library because Book of Lost Things arrived and if I don't pick it up soon they will send it back...but I won't be back until the end of the week so I asked them to please hold it for a couple of extra days.

In the meantime, I am hoping to squeeze in Of Mice and Men between books because a couple of others here just read it and I love Steinbeck.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Tear-jerking book, but excellent.

message 34: by Stacie (new)

Stacie I am picking this up at the library tomorrow and after reading all the raves about it, I can't wait to get started.

message 35: by Briony (new)

Briony (rionybay) | 10 comments I read this when it first came out, and I was suprised to hear that it was considerd YA. I enjoyed it but I found it difficult to read. Methinks I need to read it again :)

message 36: by Tisha (new)

Tisha Ken,

I am curious as to what you are referencing. Please post it in the Spoiler thread! :)

message 37: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Hello all, this is my first discussion with this group and I have just started this book over the weekend;about 200 pages in. It was intriguing and enjoyable for about half that, now I find myself nodding off. Don't get me wrong, the topic is sad and horrible but the narrator, originally so intriguing, as metioned above, seems to have been lost somewhere. His voice at least comes through less and less as more of the story is coming out. I don't know, I'll definiitely finish it because it's short enough but I can't say that it will be a memorable book depite the content.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

I have not been able to read so much in the past couple of days (only about 30-40 pages) but I am still very drawn in. I had seen a comment in here about the narrator being as spoiler but I am finding the foreshadowing to be a perfect measure and he is not telling you exactly what happens, in fact he has fooled me once already.

At this rate, I don't think I'll be able to enter the spoiler thread until the weekend. :(

message 39: by Liz (new)

Liz   (LizVegas) ALthough I love Death's voice in this book, it took me a few hundred pages to actually get totally absorbed. I Flew through 200 more pages last night, so I have about 100 to go. I can't wait to see what happens.

message 40: by Stacie (new)

Stacie I picked this up at the library yesterday and am only about 40 pages in and am really liking it. I like the voice of death...the way I am reading/hearing the voice is really pulling me along. I can't wait to get further into it and just into the discussion more.

message 41: by Kathy McC (new)

Kathy McC I loved this book. It is a creative presentation of a horrific era. I truly thought weaving the book theme throughout the story added a dimension of the holocaust that is not always remembered. I hope to read Messenger soon, as this writer's prose style is wonderful.

message 42: by Boof (new)

Boof Jeremy, I also liked the fact that Death being a spoiler but I found that that packed a really powerful punch for me cos you know you are living through some characters final days with them. I really liked that angle.

message 43: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Ok, just finished and decided that I really liked this book. The author really has a nice new way with description. I like it. Even though I felt that the narrator lost his voice in places, overall it was a great idea and an excellent tool for young adults to explore a difficult time in history.

message 44: by Julianne (new)

Julianne | 311 comments I'm a little over 100 pages in, but I have to put it down for a bit. Reason: I'm also reading (audiobook) Atonement, and I can't take that much WWII. War novels aren't my thing (war movies, either), so to have those be the only things I'm reading is too difficult. But, we're only 1/2 way through the month, so....

But, I just got to the part where Liesel stole her second book (since the narrator foreshadowed this, I don't consider it a spoiler), which I think puts me to Part 3.

message 45: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 163 comments I picked this up @ the library on Friday so I could start it over the weekend...I read yesterday and am about 100 pages in. So far it is good and I am liking it...

message 46: by Stacie (new)

Stacie I am really liking this book and it is killing me that I am reading another book simultaineously, so I am only reading this at night. I am about 160 pages in. I can tell you, I am DYING to go into the spoilers section, but keep holding myself back.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm with you Stacie. We'll have lots of catching up to do. I wonder if the fact that so many other people are reading this affects the way I feel about the book. For sure, I am constantly thinking of phrases I would like to post or what I would like to discuss. Hopefully, I will not forget it all.

Boof - what is neat about Death being the spoiler is I have been mislead by him on two or three occasions. I find him to be tricky.

message 48: by (G)Emma (last edited Aug 21, 2008 02:23PM) (new)

(G)Emma  (litlover) | 2396 comments I've just started reading The Book Thief and I really like it. Death being the narrator is an interesting twist.

message 49: by Sharee (new)

Sharee | 55 comments I'm about two-thirds of the way through the book. I rather like it, actually. I was pleasantly surprised by that fact. Good choice for a club read! ...at least it is thus far! :)

message 50: by (G)Emma (new)

(G)Emma  (litlover) | 2396 comments I'm just up to the part where Max appears. I'm trying to finish before Sunday! And then I'm going to try to read The Host before September.

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Avempartha (other topics)
Crocodile on the Sandbank (other topics)
Nevermore (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Michael J. Sullivan (other topics)