The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Intros, Questions & Suggestions > Tell us about yourself

Comments (showing 1-50 of 693) (693 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

message 1: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (new)

Shannon | 254 comments Mod
I thought I'd finally introduce myself a bit. I started watching Gilmore Girls towards the end of season 6. I had always blown off the show as some lame teen drama - boy was I wrong. Once I really sat down and watched a few episodes I was totally hooked - then I started buying the entire dvd collection. I love this show and feel like a total nerd for saying that, but the writing is amazing, original, and witty. I really love how it speaks up to its audience.
I really love all the smart books Rory reads - it's very inspirational. Before I would only read books to escape - lots of chick lit, but since I've picked up her reading list and began to read the books - it's pushed me to start thinking again. I've been out of school for a quite a few years and was getting a little rusty. Anyways that's just a little about me actually more about why I decided to start this group. I look forward to getting to know you all. Thanks for joining !

message 2: by Brooke (new)

Brooke Hi I've watched the Gilmore Girls from the very first episode to the very last...I love the show. And I love to read.

message 3: by Meghan (new)

Meghan I've watched it from the beginning and it's been one of my favorite shows of all time. I love that I'm not the only person who reads multiple books at a time. Nor am I the only one (even if she's a fictitious character) who has books for various reasons (riding the bus book, lunchtime book, "deep" book, etc.).

I love books and I like to try new genres. I find I tend to find an author I really like and just stick with them. So book clubs really help me branch out of my "comfort" zone. I've really found some great "new" finds because of them. I love hearing what other people think about books too. Nothing is better than arguing the finer (or less than fine) points of a good (or terrible) book. So I'm really looking forward to this group!

message 4: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego? (whichwaydidshego) | 1996 comments Mod
I watched Gilmore Girls when it first started and loved it, but halfway through the first season I moved to Europe... Even if it was aired there, which it wasn't, I lived without television during that time. (In my city I became known as the person with the English lending library!)

When I returned to the states and eventually realized it was still on the air, I was hooked until the last episode... in which I balled. I of course own all the seasons so far for sale and since joining this book club, have started watching them again. You know, I never did get all filled in on the time I was gone!

As for my love of reading, it started really young. In fact I spent an entire summer just reading and reading until the headaches brought about the realization of my need for glasses! This enjoyment grew and eventually one of my majors in college was literature (the other was art - both SOOO useful, don'tyaknow). I had to read so much for college that when I was forced to take a break after the first couple years, I found I never wanted to read.

After some time, I again discovered the joy of reading, so when I returned to school I swore I wouldn't let that happen again. I read something for pleasure every day... even if I could only manage a paragraph or a poem. This was when I began to read (for pleasure) multiple books at once - up in to the teens at times - because with all I had to read for studies, I often needed different sorts of distractions. Thus "mood reading" became a part of my lifestyle, and still is to this day.

There are, of course books that grab me and keep me hooked to the very last, and I don’t even think about the others, but I really do enjoy being in the midst of several adventures at once! Plus then the loss felt at the end of a book is lessened if I already have other characters with whom I’m involved!

I am by no means a genre-specific reader, loving to jump about from a self-improvement to a classic to a chick-lit to a mystery to a children’s book to a memoir to modern fiction and on and on. I do seem always to come back to the classics, though. That’s why I think this is going to be really fun – because here there is the best of the modern with a healthy dose of the classics. Besides, who wouldn’t want to be like Rory?

message 5: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

Sorry. A bit too effusive. I'm a storyteller at heart.

message 6: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
I lived in NYC for a couple of years, and I was pregnant there with twin girls (doing a LOT of lying around on the futon) when I noticed the previews for The Gilmore Girls. Of course the premise of the mother/daughter relationship caught my attention, but I could also just tell from the previews it was going to be something different. I lost the show for a little while when we moved back to the South, but my husband has since bought me all of the dvds. I appreciate that the the writers don't insult the intelligence of the audience. The characters speak quickly, and they're smart, and they appeal to a certain group of people who like to be challenged. I love the setting in the small Connecticut town (so dreamy!), and I love Lorelai's personality and how it clashes yet meshes with Rory's. I feel silly talking about a TV show like these are real people, but I think the fact that you CAN dissect these characters proves that it was an intelligently written show with multi-layered characters. Watching an episode was like reading a book. Loved it, miss it!

message 7: by Kiara (new)

Kiara | 2 comments When I saw this group, I knew I had to join. I've loved Gilmore Girls since they first started. My husband was banned from the living room for the final episode; I needed to say good-bye by myself. It was like the last page of an amazing book. I'm looking forward to reading some of the books mentioned in the show that I've never had a chance to read. I think it will motivate me to read some of the more challening books since I'm no longer in school.

message 8: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (new)

Shannon | 254 comments Mod
Kiara and Nelly - welcome to the group!

Kiara - I can relate. I wouldn't let my husband watch the last episode with me either - well he never really watches them with me anyway - oh well.

Nelly- I totally agree. I wish I could have watched this show in high school or maybe earlier also. Gilmore Girls has a very pro woman emphasis that you never see. It so great to see positive characters you can relate with and look up to.

message 9: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

Nelly, don't you think that Lorelai had a big part in why Rory was so secure in just being herself & knowing that was fantastic... and therefore never feeling that need to "fit in," etc.? She's has strong character because she has a mom who both exemplified and encouraged that. Anyway, that's one girl's opinion.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not trying to argue your point... I agree. I just think props need to be given to Lorelai. And anyway, she's no slouch in the smarts department!

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 7 comments Hi everyone!

OMG! I can't believe that this group exists! I am so happy...

I have watched Gilmore Girls regularly from season 4, but was an occassional viewer from the beginning. I already miss it so much now that it is over! I bought every season and I am eagerly awaiting the last/final season to complete the series in my DVD collection. My fascination with the show inspired others in my program (I am in graduate school studying psychology) to watch! Now all my friends love it and are mourning the loss with me.

I completely agree with Allison's portrayal of the depth that the show has, which is very rare for a television series.

Enough babbling from me for now....

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Null (songgirl7) Meghan got me into the show during its fifth season... she was always telling me how great this episode or that episode was. I saw a couple of repeats on ABC Family and then I bought the DVDs of the first four seasons. My husband was going to be gone in the evenings for rehearsals, so I was going to have plenty of time to watch. One night, I started an episode before he had to leave, so he watched it with me. Next thing I knew, he was asking me not to watch them without him! He was hooked too! My favorite characters (besides Lorelai and Rory, of course) are Kirk, Lane, and Paris. I hated it when they gave Luke a kid who was basically a junior version of Rory.

I, like Meghan, loved the fact that Rory would be reading several books at once. Even when I fly, I have to bring at least three books because I never know what mood will strike me on the plane. So I bring a fluff book, a "serious" novel, and a nonfiction.

message 12: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

Sarah, you rock. I'm there with you on the multiple book thing. I'm a minimalist when packing, yet I tend to ALWAYS overindulge when it comes to packing books... because it's NEVER just one... or even just two usually.

My ex-boyfriend got really into the show as well. He introduced me to the fantastic Battlestar Galactica (he's was/is a techy geek), and I introduced him to Gilmore Girls. I didn't expect he'd watch it, but he was the one that always wanted to get home to see it if we were out... even with it being recorded!

Me? I'm a DVR junkie. Don't know if I'd see anything I really liked if I didn't have that... I like to live all I can and watch when the mood strikes. That's rarely ever at "prime time."

message 13: by Arctic (last edited Dec 12, 2007 12:34PM) (new)

Arctic | 571 comments whichwaydidhego, i agree with your point about Lorelai's influence on Rory. Also, just from reading your many posts on this forum, I have to say that you remind me of Lorelai quite a bit, in both spirit and loquaciousness (loquacity?). :)

People had been recommending the Gilmore Girls to me for years but I never got into it until recently when I went on maternity leave after my daughter was born and I finally had time to watch the reruns on ABC Family. I really relate to what others have said about the mother/daughter relationships and strong female characters being a huge draw. It definitely was for me as well. combine that with the witty dialog, ubiquitous pop culture references, and literary components, and now i'm hooked for life. I'm hoping to get the complete series on dvd for christmas.

as for books, i usually have 3-5 going at once, and always keep one on hand. i used to moderate a book forum, but found it took a lot away from my reading (and family) time, so I retired. You all seem like a smart and fascinating bunch though, and I'm really excited to see what you'll have to say here. :)

message 14: by Sera (new)

Sera I starting watching GG over the summer on DVD. I had seen the reviews year after year in Entertainment Weekly and the critics loved the show, except for the last season. I am completely hooked, and ready to start Season 3, but I share my Netflix account with my husband so I have to sneak them in between other DVDs.

One of the reasons that I love the Rory character is because she loves to read, is a good student, and generally just a nice person. I also love Star's Hollow - what a sweet place to live. I don't think that I have a dislike for any character on the show, even Taylor can be endearing.

message 15: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

Heather, thank you for that amazing compliment! That's pretty great to remind someone - in any way - of Lorelai! And yeah, I talk that much. LOL

Congratulations on you new baby girl! What a blessing! May that precious bond between you and your daughter be as engaging and tight as Lorelai and Rory's!

I'm so glad you joined us here!

Sera, fight for it! Sneak your DVD's up the list! Oh, and your right, I didn't dislike anyone either... Taylor can be annoying, but I liked him still. Stars Hollow wouldn't be Stars Hollow without him! Plus they never would have had the hay maze! Oh! Wait! You aren't there yet! You'll see...

message 16: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments Sera - ditto on your love of Rory the reader and the Star's Hallow ambiance. I can't get enough of them either.

Whichwaydidshego, glad you took it as a compliment...i was thinking afterward that maybe not everyone would. It was intended as such though. I always envy Lorelai's spontaneity and witty optimism on the show.

Thanks for the congrats on my little girl. She really is so amazing, but also intimidating. I sometimes wish they would do a Gilmore Girls early years spinoff so I can see what the secret is to making a Rory. :D My mom and I had more of a Emily/Lorelai thing, so I'm really hoping for something different with my daughter and I.

message 17: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

Just invest in her as a friend while still being mom and all that entails (discipline, protection, unconditional love, etc.)... share YOU with her. So often moms forget that part. And always be willing to admit you were wrong and apologize. Anyway, that's my thoughts on it.

How old is she now? Meghan's precious Jade just turned one at the beginning of this month. You two could maybe find your way together now and then.

My name's Michele, by the way Heather. A pleasure to meet you!

message 18: by alicia (new)

alicia (shesha34) Hello I am a newbie in the board but it's so cool I found this.I love the Gilmore Girls and have watched it since the 2nd season? I think.My 2 daughters loved it as well and we would sit down together and watch it.We are so sad it ended.It gave me so much hope that a mother and daughter could be so close.My oldest is 15 and number 2 is 10.I want to get all the dvd's as soon as possible.I watch the reruns when I can.I just love the twon they live in all these wacky characters.I was so pulling for Luke and Lorelai.

I have loved to read since I was little.Books have always been a huge part of who I am.My dh just doesn't get it at all.Not a reader much.My oldest dd was for awhile and we were in a bookclub together when she was in 5 and 6th grade through the elementry school.She loved the same books I did.She was totally into the Harry Potters and read up to Goblet of Fire.But once she hit jr high reading to a back seat to friends,myspace and AIM.She did eventually read the 5th Harry Potter but now that she is in high school and is in Band and swimming there is not much time left to read for fun.My middle dd is just finally starting to like reading.My youngest is 3 and just loves nothing better than sitting in my lap with a story book.

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Null (songgirl7) Welcome, all!

message 20: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments Hey everybody:

I just want to proudly report that Gilmore Girls: Season 1; Disc 1 is next on my queue at netflix, so I could see my first episode as early as tomorrow night! I probably won't get home from work until late, though, so I may have to watch it in the middle of the night. I'm having such fun with this group that I feel pretty confident I'll really like it. Also, I remember seeing previews for it, but was never able to watch an episode. Better late than never, eh?

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Null (songgirl7) Robbie, you will love it!

message 22: by Beth (new)

Beth | 173 comments I love "Battlestar Galactica", too - glad someone mentioned it! As fine examples of television go, it ranks right up there with "Gilmore Girls". It is a sad time for television in my life, with the recent end of "Gilmore Girls", "The Sopranos", and "The O.C.", and BSG coming to an end this next year.

My husband and I started watching "GG" toward the end of the first season, after a very intelligent and well-read friend of ours recommended it. We were hooked! After that, we never missed an episode. It was the primary reason we shelled out for TiVo. I have all the DVDs, and when I'm cleaning house, I'll just put one on and turn up the volume and listen to the dialogue. Can I just say that I LOVE JESS!!! Dean is a big goober!!

I have always been a voracious reader. My mom and I lived at the library growing up. There really wasn't much else to do where we lived! I used to read just about anything, but I'm trying to make what I read count more these days, trying to read more classics and things of substance. I have a terrible habit of buying books, which I have got to stop, because I'm running out of space...but I have started collecting beautiful hard-cover editions of my favorites, as well as signed first editions when I can get them.

message 23: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments i do that too, Beth, when i'm working around the house. The dialog is so rich you almost need no pictures. I also share you book collecting habit.

Michele, my baby Aliera will be 3 months just after Christmas. I hope you're right that being myself is all it takes. not really anything else i can do i suppose.

nice to meet you too!

message 24: by Arielle (new)

Arielle | 120 comments I found GG when my husband was working evenings, I think it was season 2, or 3 maybe? Anyway, I quickly got addicted, and stayed with the show til the end. I love the dialogue, and most all of the characters, but I'll admit, sometimes Jackson grated on my nerves. I do love Sookie though.
Beth, my hubby is the biggest Battlestar Galactica fan ever (and I may as well come clean, I enjoy it too!), and will freak out about what you said. Is it really ending this year?
About reading, my mom worked at a used bookstore when I was little, and I would go in and spend her whole shift just wandering around the dusty stacks. It was like my summer job too because I was there so much! Ever since I can remember I've just devoured books, but after high school, I kind of got stuck in a rut and didn't try many new things. That's why I'm so excited about this group. I WILL broaden my horizons, even if you have to drag me kicking and screaming! JK, I can't wait to pick next month's books.

message 25: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

Beth! Yea BSG! But, SHUT UP!!! I had no idea it was going into it's final season! I'm so sad! Did you see BSG:Razor the other week. That was really well done. I very much liked the character of the girl they focused on for that. Exceptional side story! Oh man... another thing to be depressed about.

I have really vivid library memories from when I was a kid. It was such a treat to go... and they used to have summer craft classes and such, too. I remember the little nook with a window seat that I would take all my possible selections and anxiously whittle them down to the appropriate amount selected by my mum. These are memories of when I was really very little, too. So they must have been moments full of emotion because otherwise I don't really remember much from then. As a side note, my first memory is a nightmare I had at age 2. It's comical now, really, but I was deathly afraid then.

Heather, (Can I still call you that?) you will be amazing. And I am a member of the Book Buying Anonymous group on here for the very reason that I do the same thing!

Okay, I just have to ask for all you BSG fans, did you think before Razor that Starbuck's return wasn't a good thing? I was sure suspicious!

message 26: by Beth (new)

Beth | 173 comments I wasn't sure about Starbuck's return, either. But I love her character so much! What a tough warrior chick. I even watched that crappy new "Bionic Woman" series on NBC just to see her (avoid this like the plague, btw, not even Starbuck can make it worthwhile). But, yes, the creators of BSG have stated that the upcoming fourth season will be the last. Apparently, they feel that will be time enough to resolve the current story without worrying about a decline in quality. I am so sad! I have loved it so much. Is Gaius Baltar not the greatest ever? So evil, but he wants to do the right thing....Remember the episode after the attack on Caprica, when they are trying to escape the Cylons, and they keep attacking every 30 minutes? OMIGOD!! Maybe the best episode of TV I've ever watched. Unbelievable tension!! But so many other great characters: Starbuck, Tyrol, Helo, Number Six. And, don't forget Lucy Lawless, or "Xena the Cylon" as my husband says. Please, people, even if you hate science fiction, PLEASE watch this show. It will rock your world.

message 27: by Beth (new)

Beth | 173 comments "Razor" was great, too. I loved seeing the
old-style Cylon models. Boy, that Admiral Cain was a crusty old bitch. My husband was hoping for some action between Number Six and Admiral Cain, but alas, it was not to be.

message 28: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments Okay, I watched disc one last night, and I LOVED it! What fun characters! I can see why everybody is hooked! I was relieved that they seemed to scale back on the Sookie being a clutz thing after the pilot episode. There are even people you can love to hate! Grandpa's turning out to be pretty sweet. I like that they're showing a good contrast between daughter-mother relationships and grandchild-grandparent relationships. I try very hard to not complain about my parents or in-laws in front of my children for this very reason.

About me, like many of you, I have always enjoyed reading. I remember getting my first library card when I was 5 and feeling so grown-up! I had at least one of those summers, Michele, when I read all the time. Later, after I became best friends with one of my neighbors, I found out that the kids called me a hermit that summer. I took lit. classes in college, mainly so I'd have some time earmarked for reading. I chose ones that didn't have any outside writing, since I was (okay, am) a procrastinator and my assigned writings were essentially impromtu writings anyway. During medical school, I'd have to cram in pleasure reading during holiday breaks. Fortunately, my best friend did the same thing. So, we'd go up north to her parents' cabin, and spend most of the time sitting around reading in silence, except for chuckles at funny parts. I still love to do that on vacation. I'm learning to pack more books, so I don't get stuck trying to buy something in the middle of nowhere.

When my husband and I first got married, he told me about this song he knew that applied to me. Some of the words are, "My baby loves a bunch of authors. I like to go out dancing. We haven't talked for ages. My baby just sits there...turnin' pages!" He meant it good-naturedly. He's not much of a reader. He did read The Last of the Mohicans because it was on his palm pilot. I've never read it, probably never will. Maybe HE needs a kindle!

message 29: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

Beth, sooooo with you on Starbuck! She's completely a wreck and thick-headed, but I LOVE how tough she is... badass, really. I think it was a stroke of genius to cast that character as a woman.

But that's partly why Razor was so good. Man, that girl was hardcore!

I know what you mean about Bionic Woman. I did see and episode and was so excited to see Kara Thrace in it, but it was terrible. Why is it that they couldn't make a show like that great? Seriously. Is it so hard to make a show with a strong woman as a lead and not have it be trite?

But back to BSG! Helo and Sam... OH. MY. FRACKING. GODS. (Hee!) So bloody hot! I really like the Tyrol character, too. And who do you think the last Cylon will turn out to be?

The thing about this show is everything weaves together, and every character - even the "bad" guys - are really, really interesting and have such depth and "humanity" (yes I know they are not human, but you know what I mean). The main story - and all the little stories - are absolutely incredible.

I'm with your husband... some action between those two would have been hot! Hee!

Seriously, in my recording queue, BSG was - is - FIRST and GG was second!

Shoot! I want to keep talking about it, but I'm thinking the others in the group might be getting annoyed. Sorry gang!

Robbie, I'm so totally glad you are enjoying Gilmore Girls! I wish you could get more than one disc at a time, though!

I'd better try to get going do something useful today!

message 30: by Beth (new)

Beth | 173 comments I think the last Cylon will be either Roslin or Admiral Adama. Oh, yes, I totally love Tyrol, too. He is my favorite hot guy on the show. But I did see a promo the other day with Jamie Bamber, who plays Lee Adama, speaking as himself......purrrrrr, that British accent, made me a little light-headed! Yes, we need to stop talking about BSG, I could go on forever! So say we all!!

message 31: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

So say we all!!!

message 32: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments Alas, if I got more than one disc at a time, I wouldn't sleep for days! I have experienced this with Law & Order and Moonlighting collections!

message 33: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

LOL, Robbie. Yeah, I kinda know how that is. I get focused, or just want to check it off my list, or simply get hooked and have that happen. Like right now. I just took on a project that by no means should I have started the week before Christmas when I was sick for two weeks and am therefore behind on everything. I'm so lame sometimes!

message 34: by Beth (new)

Beth | 173 comments So, Robbie, do you think Moonlighting stands the test of time, or does it seem dated? I might have to revisit it, if it still holds up.

message 35: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments Beth,

Hmmm...good question. I still thought it was pretty funny, especially when they had the clever dialogue. Interesting to see Bruce Willis back then again. I remember when I first heard of Die Hard. I just couldn't imagine David Addison playing a character like that! Another thing I noticed was that a guy friend I had later was just like him! One sad thing was that there weren't all that many episodes, so I saw several of them more then once, even back in the 80's. I say, do netflix.

message 36: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments Oh, Michele:
I just want to say that I was happy to see you posting again. You know, missing a whole day or so, I was worried about you! It's great to have virtual friends!

message 37: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

Thanks, Robbie! It's nice to be missed! I was craving to be online, but trying to be good and accomplish a few things. But there will always be loads to do, right? Heh. I heart this group.

Thanks again, it really did mean something to me. (Kind of going through the ringer just now, so there's that, too.)

message 38: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments seriously, it was a scary day. someone asked who Rory Gilmore was and the group almost fell to pieces (confused or amused, not sure). thank god you're back!

also we were all getting very anxious about what to do if January came and there was no book nomination. thanks for putting that together and keeping everything so organized. sincerely. i hate to find a such a terrific group only to see it dissipate soon afterward. you're definitely the glue, Michele, or at least the most gluey part of it.

ok i'm going now before i embarrass myself further.

glad to have you back.

message 39: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments Michele,
You sure have lived an interesting and exciting life so far! When I was in Italy for a vacation, my favorite places were the Cinque Terre (I think Vernazza was the name of the town I like best)and Florence.

Have you read The Birth of Venus? I read it recently and really enjoyed it. If you spent a lot of time there, you might like it, too.

message 40: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

Heather... wow. (Blush.) That was high praise indeed! I like being called gluey. Hee!

Oh, and I saw your response to that "questionable" post. Well done!

Dottie, I visited Cinque Terre... it was lovely. I especially liked hiking between the towns. Stunning! I lived in Florence. Know it better than about anywhere on earth. It really is very charming, isn't it? Sigh. I sure do miss it. And my friends there. And my favorite pub. LOL

message 41: by Dottie (last edited Dec 19, 2007 04:03PM) (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 698 comments Michelle -- it was Robbie who brought up Cinque Terre -- I have not been to Italy -- gulp -- my own fault, too. Maybe it will happen one day, maybe not. I second the thought you seem to have led an interesting life thus far -- which is why you are who you are and why you can be gluey.

Artic -- seriously -- someone asked who Rory Gilmore is? How did I miss that? Funny.

message 42: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

Sorry to both of you... it's the "ie" ending with an "o" followed by double letters that got me. Heh.

message 43: by Debra (new)

Debra | 3 comments Hi, let me say that I love this reading group. Did someone make a running list of all the books mentioned on the show or was it mentioned somewhere?

I am a professor of Spanish literature in San Antonio, Texas (originally from Beacon, NY. Anyway, I still love New England (did my undergrad there) and I have a question for you all:

I'm creating a course entitled "American Women in Popular Culture at the End of the Millenium" we will definitely be watching episodes of GG. However, do any recent novels (say last ten years) come to mind?

I of course think of Bridget Jones' Diary but she is British. I don't have to confine myself to American Women but for the sake of organization wanted to define the course as much as possible.

I recently bought the first four seasons (at the Sam's Club here they were $17 a piece!

As a teacher I have to say that I'd love to have Rory as a student.

message 44: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
These are kind of fluffy, but I'm thinking "The Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing", "The Nanny Diaries", "The Jane Austen Book Club." I guess you could count those novels that Sex and the City were based on...but I'm not sure how accurate a depiction that is. Also, "The Glass Castle" is about an amazing woman who overcame unbelievable circumstances.

You're going to get a lot of response here, Debra! I think the WB (The Gilmore Girl's network) came up with the reading list.

message 45: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Null (songgirl7) Welcome, Debra! The end of the millenium? Can you be more specific? I mean, do you just mean the 1990s or do you mean the 1980s? Or do you mean up to 2001 since that is when the millenium actually started? Gilmore Girls actually premiered in 2000, so I'm not sure if it qualifies as the end of the millenium.

I think the biggest 1990s female pop culture icons were the four ladies from Sex and the City. That show made Manolo Blahnik a household name.

In the 80s and 90s, weren't romance novels really popular? Authors like Danielle Steele, Sandra Brown. Johanna Lindsay, Lavyrle Spencer? Or maybe I just thought they were popular because my mom read them.

message 46: by Cody (new)

Cody Wilshire (codywilshire) | 85 comments I'd agree with Sex and the City, but that was more, the second half of the 90s, when it was all about girl power, and the Spice Girls and it was the first time women were making more money and had more power then men and it was a giant culture shock change.

The ladies from 'Friends' also were a huge culture icon. If Rachel Green wore a sweater, you can bet the next day, Barneys' everywhere would be sold out.

message 47: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Null (songgirl7) Oh yeah. She even had a hairstyle named after her.

message 48: by Summer (new)

Summer | 34 comments I don’t actually watch Gilmore Girls, or much tv at all. I’ve seen Gilmore Girls. I liked it. I have the dvds in queue at Netflix, but I won’t be able to contribute much to discussions about the show. I’m joining your group (if you let me) bc I love to read and, after a quick perusal, I like both your format and selections.

I’m a freshman nursing student. I’m choosing between nursing informatics (sort of like nursing media librarian) and education as my final degree goal, but I have a ways to go before that is accomplished.

I look forward to reading along with you.

message 49: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Null (songgirl7) Welcome, Summer!

message 50: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments Welcome, Summer!
Don't worry, I joined the group before I saw a single episode! It's a fun group, and now that I've seen some episodes, I can see why everybody loves the show.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Swann's Way (other topics)
Anna Karenina (other topics)
Water for Elephants (other topics)
The Road (other topics)