Outlander Series discussion

Characters > Master Raymond spoilers.

Comments (showing 1-50 of 64) (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Susan K. (new)

Susan K. K.  | 83 comments When Claire went back to Paris/Le Havre with Jamie (Voyager, she tried to find Master Raymond. He was gone. Where do you think he'll pop up next? Under what circumstances?

message 2: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 322 comments I think he pops up in 1968 with the group of American Indians that go back in time to try to change history. At least Claire thinks that it may be Master Raymond.

message 3: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3150 comments I think it's Raymond too. I think DG has alluded to the fact that Raymond is a time traveler. I think he'll pop up again, maybe in the next book.

message 4: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 39 comments I too am fascinated with Master Raymond. It has to be the same Raymond referred to in the diary of the American Indian from 1968 because it would make an interesting twist to the story. I must re read DIA to see if there are any clues. There was definitely something mysterious about him. If he is one of the time travellers did he go to 1968 after he met Claire or had he already been. How long has he been doing it? Is he limited to the 200yr thingy or can he direct his travel to a certain date? Hmmm....Food for thought. Any ideas ladies?

message 5: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3150 comments Claire thought something about Raymond was off too. That's why she felt for a vaccination scar.

message 6: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 329 comments Wendy wrote: "Claire thought something about Raymond was off too. That's why she felt for a vaccination scar."

I thought Master Raymond more than rather weird, but all the credit to him for saving Claire's life. As I did not like the Paris part of DIA as much as the other early books of the series, I think I just read it twice; and this was some time ago. Therefore I cannot remember Claire looking for a vaccination scar! Do you maybe have more details, please?

I do remember, though, DG remarking something about this man, unfortunately I cannot remember where. I checked the Outlandish Companion, but no results there either. DG confirmed Raymond to be a time-traveller as well, from farther "back", though, something like from the Middle Ages. She also stated she'd like to do a book about his story. I do hope after having finished the REAL outlander thing!

message 7: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3150 comments I remember her saying she'd like to do a story about Master Raymond too. It would be interesting.

If I'm remember correctly, it was after Claire's misscarriage. He came to help heal her. He put his hands on her stomach and did his mojo asking her to call out for Jamie. Then right before he slipped out uncaught she slid her hand up his sleeve looking for the ridges of the vaccination scar because she was so sure he wasn't from that time. She didn't find one though, which makes sense if he came from even further back.

message 8: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 329 comments Wendy wrote: "I remember her saying she'd like to do a story about Master Raymond too. It would be interesting.

If I'm remember correctly, it was after Claire's misscarriage. He came to help heal her. He p..."

Thank you! I'm about to finish listening to Outlander on Audible, so the next one will be DIA. But before, I'm going to look it up in the book.

message 9: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments I think the whole Master Raymond was not that clear to me in the later books... I know he plays a big roll in whatever happens to J & C... That DG can get sneaky.

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy (amyrica) Diana has alluded to the fact that Raymond is actually an ancestor/relative of Claire's. Juicy, eh?

message 11: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3150 comments ooooh, that would be interesting.

message 12: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 322 comments Amy wrote: "Diana has alluded to the fact that Raymond is actually an ancestor/relative of Claire's. Juicy, eh?"

Right, in Paris Claire finds out that her and Geillis (sp?) had the blue shroud like Master Raymond (auras?) that Master Raymond told her about. Like they were ancestors or something of him.

message 13: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments Amy wrote: "Diana has alluded to the fact that Raymond is actually an ancestor/relative of Claire's. Juicy, eh?"

She always makes us think...huh!! I cannot wait for #8 :)

message 14: by Alex (new)

Alex (AlexC1988) | 34 comments Ohhhhh... I always found Master Raymond very interesting. Hope there's more about him in the next book(s)...
I wonder how he'll end up an ancestor/relative to Claire! Did he have children in his own time, or in the past? If Claire and Geillis have the same aura, so they might both be related to Master Raymond? But how??
Hope every question will be answered eventually...

message 15: by Susan K. (new)

Susan K. K.  | 83 comments And to throw another wrench into the works.............I think that Fergus is related to Claire, because her maiden name, being Beauchamp, is the name of the mysterious guy that is looking for Fergus in the last book!

message 16: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments I think you are right Susan... Okay i forget who Claire's parents are?? I know that her uncle raised her... but for the life of me i cannot remember her parents.

message 17: by Susan K. (new)

Susan K. K.  | 83 comments And......I just finished listening to Voyager (again!) and realized that Joe Abernathy may be related to Gellis's husband in Jamaica (Mr. Abernathy - another husband killed by Geillis). Mr. Abernathy was having 'relations' with some of his female slaves.

message 18: by Wan (new)

Wan  (WanWaddell) | 564 comments Susan K. wrote: "And to throw another wrench into the works.............I think that Fergus is related to Claire, because her maiden name, being Beauchamp, is the name of the mysterious guy that is looking for Ferg..."

That was Percy Beauchamp. My gut tells me he's related to Claire in someway -- but I thought he was gay.

message 19: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Major (kmajor816) | 2 comments Percy *is* gay--read the "Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade" for his history with Percy. It doesn't mean he couldn't be Claire's ancestor, though. Percy is opportunistic to the extreme. :-)

message 20: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3150 comments He married into Johns family, so he has sex with women. I think Fergus is related to Claire too, which will be wonderful!

message 21: by Wan (new)

Wan  (WanWaddell) | 564 comments Thought so. I do have LJG books waiting but don't think I'll get to them soon though. May be wait until the LJG and Scottish Prisoner ready to come out.

message 22: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 322 comments Wendy wrote: "He married into Johns family, so he has sex with women. I think Fergus is related to Claire too, which will be wonderful!"

I agree about Fergus, I think he's related to Claire too.

message 23: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 322 comments Susan K. wrote: "And......I just finished listening to Voyager (again!) and realized that Joe Abernathy may be related to Gellis's husband in Jamaica (Mr. Abernathy - another husband killed by Geillis). Mr. Abernat..."

I never connected those two - you're right! I love how they are all interconnected - that's there's this cosmic finger moving them all around.

message 24: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments They how is Master Raymond related to Claire? COuld he be her grandfather?

message 25: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 322 comments I think some long, long ago ancestor.

message 26: by Wan (new)

Wan  (WanWaddell) | 564 comments I sure hope not .. he looks like toad.

message 27: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments Well then how are they related do you think. He has such a vested interest in Claire and her survival

message 28: by Carolyn F. (last edited Jan 06, 2011 04:39PM) (new)

Carolyn F. | 322 comments Claire thought he was a time traveler from the neolithic? period. When Master Raymond met her at his apothecary he had mentioned something along the lines that Claire and one other person he recognized as related through their blue aura. When he described the other person, it sounded a lot like Geillis(sp?) Duncan.

message 29: by Wan (new)

Wan  (WanWaddell) | 564 comments I think he was interested in her because he knew that she's also a time traveler and they're both into medicines/herbs.

message 30: by Susan K. (new)

Susan K. K.  | 83 comments Kathryn wrote: "Percy *is* gay--read the "Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade" for his history with Percy. It doesn't mean he couldn't be Claire's ancestor, though. Percy is opportunistic to the extreme. :-)"

Oh, aye! Remember when he said that his 'work' was sleeping with wealthy women?

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Percy Beachamp is not a relative of Clair's. He married into the Beachamp family and took their name but one of the other Beachamp's could be related.

message 32: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments that's right Beth!! It felt strange that he wanted to find Fergus so bad.

message 33: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3150 comments **Spoiler**

That's right!! He married into the Beauchamp family, and he's looking for their sister's son who's Fergus. So that's how Fergus is maybe related to Claire.

message 34: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments But why did he go to so much trouble to find Fergus? it's just strange to me

message 35: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (LChacha) | 59 comments Leea wrote: "But why did he go to so much trouble to find Fergus? it's just strange to me"

It's been a while since I read Echo, but didn't it have to do with needing an heir?

I just started with the audio version of Outlander and am really enjoying it!

message 36: by Susan K. (new)

Susan K. K.  | 83 comments Susan K. wrote: "And......I just finished listening to Voyager (again!) and realized that Joe Abernathy may be related to Gellis's husband in Jamaica (Mr. Abernathy - another husband killed by Geillis). Mr. Abernat..."

I am rethinking this one - Joe doesn't need to be related to Mr. Abernathy - the slaves would all just have his last name. I think he is related to Ishmael, the slave. Remember that Joe's son took the name of his ancestor, Ishmael? On Jamaica? Fun stuff.

message 37: by Alex (new)

Alex (AlexC1988) | 34 comments I always thought Joe was related to Ishmael...
If I remember correctly, in Voyager, when Claire is in the jungle, with the ceremony, with the rooster/cock's blood... there was a drug in the cup going around, and she started seeing Joe instead of Ishmael...

message 38: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3150 comments And she said that Ishmael had Joe's voice too.3

That's right, they did need an heir. I thought it had something to do with money.

message 39: by Leea, Escape Artist (new)

Leea | 1239 comments Wendy wrote: "And she said that Ishmael had Joe's voice too.3

That's right, they did need an heir. I thought it had something to do with money."

that's right! I really need to re-read these books... i'm forgetting some details that we all know will come into play at some point in the next books.

message 40: by Mary G. (new)

Mary G. (nonometoo) | 319 comments Leea wrote: "But why did he go to so much trouble to find Fergus? it's just strange to me"
Percy is trying to find Fergus to prove he is an heir because of some property in Canada that the French want very much to control. I think this property is under English contol at the moment. The French hope to get back land under English control by helping the colonists gain independence.

message 41: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 329 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "Amy wrote: "Diana has alluded to the fact that Raymond is actually an ancestor/relative of Claire's. Juicy, eh?"

Right, in Paris Claire finds out that her and Geillis (sp?) had the blue shroud li..."

This also is in DIA? I really cannot remember a blue shroud and nothing that Claire knew about Geillis staying in Paris when she thought her having been burned as a witch. I really have to re-read the Paris part of DIA at least. Don't you think that Master Raymond rather is Claire's and Geillis's ancestor than the other way round?

It also is funny how all the main characters seem to be related with each other, having a distant common ancestor. That is if we do not assume that we all are related via Adam and Eve...

And I am wondering where and how William will fit in. When we remember this incident in his childhood that was mentioned in Echo, he might be able to time-travel as well. As it does not come from his father, could it not be that we meet some Dunsanies (ancestors) as well?

message 42: by Susan K. (new)

Susan K. K.  | 83 comments Lotte wrote: "Carolyn F. wrote: "Amy wrote: "Diana has alluded to the fact that Raymond is actually an ancestor/relative of Claire's. Juicy, eh?"

Right, in Paris Claire finds out that her and Geillis (sp?) had..."

I think Master Raymond referred to it as an "aura".

message 43: by Lety (new)

Lety | 13 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "Amy wrote: "Diana has alluded to the fact that Raymond is actually an ancestor/relative of Claire's. Juicy, eh?"

Right, in Paris Claire finds out that her and Geillis (sp?) had the blue shroud li..."

I remember that Raymond mentioned that to Claire, her aura, but about Geillis? Can't recall...

message 44: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (booklove83) | 10 comments I could be totally wrong.... But didn't DG post an excerpt or something she was working on a while ago that placed Raymond as originating in the Neolithic period? I'm thinking she posted this on Compuserve and that I found it through the Sinjari website.

I was right... heres the link to all of Master Raymond's excepts...
http://www.sinijari.fi/linkit/outland...
Scroll down to the bottom for "Into Thin Air".

message 45: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 322 comments Woo hoo, I thought it was neolithic!

message 46: by Dee (last edited Feb 21, 2015 10:03AM) (new)

Dee Sauter (InDeathAddict) To find out about Raymond whether he is from the future or not you need to read the novella the Space Between. I got it last week for $1.99 at Amazon for my kindle.

I want to understand the Blue aura better. That kind of confuses me.

message 47: by Arlene (new)

Arlene | 253 comments I want to understand the Blu..."

I just finished DIA. I believe this is the first place where the blue aura comes into play. Master Raymond calls Claire Madonna from the moment he met her. After she loses her child, he comes to the hospital to heal her. Claire sees the blue aura during this process. When she goes to see him again, he still calls her Madonna and she questions that because she is no longer pregnant. He tells her that he calls her Madonna because he sees her with a blue aura, just the color of Mary's robe. In some of the later books, we get more references to the aura and find there are other time travelers that have healing powers. Maybe ALL the time travelers are descendents of Master Raymond.

message 48: by Mary (new)

Mary (PoetsDream) | 196 comments Arlene wrote: "I want to understand the Blu..."

Maybe ALL the time travelers are descendents of Master Raymond. ."

DG talks about this on her website. At least she mentions that Claire and Gellis are both descendants of Master Raymond. Roger also has the ability to cure with a blue aura, and he is related to Gellis. So it does seem that it comes from him. I think Claire also did some healing with a blue aura (I don't remember which book it was in though). So perhaps all of the time traveler can, perhaps they just don't know how to use it.

message 49: by Lorinda (new)

Lorinda Cockrell (rindalovestoread) | 40 comments I was thinking the same thing about Master Raymond! I believe we will have to find out who Claire ancestors are in order to find out how she became a time traveler. Maybe Master Raymond controls who travels to where.

message 50: by Arlene (new)

Arlene | 253 comments In my opinion, there will be a lot more about Master Raymond and how all the travelers are inter related. I would not be shocked if they all revert back to Master Raymond. Only time will tell as we patiently (or not) wait for the next book to come out.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread