SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > What I'm also reading in August

Comments (showing 1-39 of 39) (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (last edited Aug 01, 2008 08:28AM) (new)

Elizabeth (elizabethoverton) | 11 comments My list:
Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman
The Sweet Far Thing, by Libba Bray
Childhood's End, by Arthur C. Clarke

message 2: by Jon (last edited Aug 01, 2008 06:09PM) (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 894 comments The Wood Wife by Terri Windling
Planet of Mortal Worship by Donald Templeman
Sisters of the Ravens by Barbara Hambly
The Golden Rose by Kathleen Bryan

Just for starters :)

message 3: by Nick, Founder (Hoping to be more involved one day!) (new)

Nick (nickqueen) | 310 comments Mod
Finishing up A Clash of Kings
Reading several for work (Shoot Em Down - The Flying Saucer Air Wars of 1952, Flying Saucers and Science, Haunted Gettysburg and Haunted Pennsylvania)

Hoping to read Color of Magic this month!

Fidrox | 4 comments
August List:

*The Book Thief
*Brother Odd
*The book of lost things
*Lightning thief
*The color of magic (just about to finish)

Jeffrey | 193 comments i liked the wood wife. I keep meaning to read the first book by Bryan but cannot find the time. Let me know how you like Wood Wife.

Jeff

Jeffrey | 193 comments My list for the next 2 weeks is pretty ambitious:

I am currently reading Rules of Deception by Christopher Reich

I have the following that I want to read as well

By Schism Rent Asunder by David Weber
Say Goodbye by Lisa Gardner
The Dark Tide by Andrew Gross
Victory of Eagles by Naomi Novik
The Lost Fleet by Jack Campbell
Illegal Action by Stella Rimington

Not sure what else I will read.

Sandi (Sandikal) Right now, I'm reading:

"Insufficient Mating Material" by Rowenna Cherry
"The Wind-up Bird Chronicle" by that Japanese guy
"The Physics of Superheroes" (I'm stalled on this one.)

Next, I'll be reading "The Book of Lost Things."

Terence (Spocksbro) | 96 comments In progress: "Say You're One of Them," Uwem Akpan

Now, I can't think I'll get to ALL of these in August but they're on the To-Read shelf, their plaintive voices crying, "Read us! Read us!"

"Doctor Rat," William Kotzwinkle
"Before They Are Hanged," Joe Abercrombie
"Winterbirth," Brian Ruckley
"Maske: Thaery," Jack Vance
"The Lord of Lies," David Zindell
"Dark Sleeper," Jeffrey Barlough
"Godslayer," Jacqueline Carey
"The Moonstone," Willkie Collins
"Viriconium" and "Light," M. John Harrison

And that's just the fiction shelf.

Thomas | 252 comments I plan to catch up on my periodicals: Cook's Illustrated, Funny Times, Environmental and Engineering Geoscience, AEG News, etc. I'm more than a year behind in some instances.

Beth A. (BethALM) I haven't started Down and Out yet so that's next. Then I'm going to read the Twilight series and The Miracle at Speedy Motors by Alexander McCall Smith.

message 11: by Lori (Hellian) (last edited Aug 02, 2008 12:05AM) (new)

Lori (Hellian) Still slogging thru Cloud Atlas. It's not a difficult book but even so it's dense - not a fast read. After that I'm eager to get back into Sergei Lukyanenko, I've got Twilight Watch set to go! I'll be leaving for a wonderful relaxing week on Orcas Island where I do nothing but read all glorious day long, so will be carefully choosing a selection of light and heavy.

Cicero | 48 comments “The Bonehunters” – Steven Erikson
"Dubliners" - James Joyce

These are the books I planned to read last month but I am still waiting to obtain from library or book shop.

The book from last month that stood out for me was “Hundred Years of Solitude” by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. It is possible to read this book without focusing on anything but the descriptions and imagery which is easily the best I have ever read.

I am currently reading “Shadow of the Wind” by Carlos Ruiz Zafon but am only a few pages in so have little opinion on it yet. I hope to read the following books by the end of August in the following order.

“Perdido Street Station” by China Melville
“Tigana” by Guy Gavriel Kay
“The Memoirs of Hadrian” by Marguerite Yourcenar
“Down and Out in Paris and London” by George Orwell
“Count Belisarius” by Robert Graves

Branka (taiyo) | 22 comments Right now I'm in the middle of the Kushiel's Scion - Jacqueline Carey, book 4. The saga continues, Phedre has done her job, It's time for her foster-son to be in the middle of happening. Style is still the same, nice setting, nice story-telling, some sex and torture, still the same Carey ;)

Myles | 15 comments Read The Color of Magic.

Currently reading:
1. The Devil You Know - Mike Carey. This is sort of like Harry Dresden's London counterpart.

2. The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follet: I was having a hard time finishing this, but I am rocking along now.

3. Mona Lisa Overdrive - William Gibson

4. On Basilisk Station - David Weber. This may be a poor choice, starting a huge series like this...I have a tendency to become addicted.

Need to Read:
1. Down and Out - for the 2nd club selection of the month

message 15: by TeraD (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:08AM) (new)

TeraD (teradugan) August Reads:

A Game of Thrones
The Book Thief
City of Bones
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
Perfume
Snow Crash

and we'll see if I have time to fit anything else in. BTW, Elizabeth, Neverwhere was great. It is the one Neil Gaiman book that I have enjoyed so far. I've only read 3 of his books so I'll need to try a couple more before I know what I truly think about his writing.

Steingard (SteingardVada) | 11 comments Apparently lots of people in this group make lists of books they plan to read each month. Amazing! I never know where my next book is coming from, but at the moment I’m reading To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee), Startide Rising (David Brin) and Stalin. The Court of the Red Tzar (Simon Sebag-Montefiore). Last week I also read My Uncle Oswald (Roald Dahl), which was amusing, but not a lot more.

Deanna | 30 comments I have almost finished the Furies of Culderon by Jim Butcher...it's pretty darn good , but of course it took about 100 pages to get past seeing Harry Dresden as the main character all the time and then really started to enjoy it. Looking forward to the next one.

Angie | 341 comments In August I plan to read:

The Count of Monte Cristo
City of Bones
The Color of Magic
Skeleton Crew
Me talk pretty one day

Sarah  | 7 comments I'm currently reading Murakami's The Elephant Vanishes but am actually waiting for my orders from Amazon to come by soon so my list for August:

Final Friends Trilogy by Christopher Pike
Eternals by Gaiman
Time Paradox (Artermis Fowl) by Eoin Colfer
Raven Rise (Pendragon) by DJ Machale
Coraline by Gaiman
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Pilgrims of Rayne (Pendragon) by DJ Machale
Interworld by Gaiman

and if there's still August left, I'm going to start on Game of Thrones :)

Sandi (Sandikal) I just finished "The Wind-up Bird Chronicle" by Murakami and have moved on to "Soon I Will be Invincible" by Austin Grossman.

Ben (bcaldwell) | 251 comments I've just started reading The Wind-up Bird Chronicle. Only through about 75 pages or so but I'm enjoying it.

I have also just started listening to Storm Front. I tend to stay away from stuff like this but I figure I can get through it as an audiobook.

I just finished listening to The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. It was incredible. I recommend it to everyone, but especially to those that care about what goes into their stomachs.

Sandi (Sandikal) "The Omnivore's Dilemma" is probably the best non-fiction book I've ever read. I usually get bored reading non-fiction, but that one kept me turning the pages. It surpassed "The Hot Zone" in readability.

Ben (bcaldwell) | 251 comments I agree. I'm going to try out In Defense of Food soon, which I think is a continuation of Omnivore's Dilemma.

Sarah  | 7 comments How far now in Wind Up Bird Chronicle, Ben?

I love that book, I dont want to spoil it but oh! I wanted to eat WUBC after it finished lol!

My fave is Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World though.

Ben (bcaldwell) | 251 comments Not very far still. I think around pg 200 so about 1/3 of the way through. A bit slow but I'm really getting into it now. The skinning scene has scarred me though.

Sandi (Sandikal) That scene was awful!

Deanna | 30 comments I just finished the first 3 books of the Codex Alera Series by Jim Butcher. Once I stopped seeing Harry Dresden (one of my other fav's, cant wait til April ;o) ) I really got hooked into this story. Started to get a little predictable, but still an enjoyable read. Hooked on another one...sigh!

Carly | 25 comments tried to read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (a little too existential). read a bio, Alice Waters and Chez Panisse. (this may be cheating b/c it's not reading but) watched dvds, Persepolis (animation, comic book style) and Paprika (anime, sci-fi, fantasy-ish).

Michael (bigorangemichael) | 186 comments So far, I've read...

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow
Where the River Ends by Charles Martin
Darkness of the Light by Peter David
Dirty Secrets Club by Meg Gardiner
Accidental Time Machine by Joe Haldeman
On the Beach by Nevil Schute
Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett

Currently working on:
The Truth by Terry Pratchett

On my shelf:
Star Wars: Clone Wars
Oxygen
The next few Dresden Files books

Audio books:
Gingerbread Girl by Stephen King
Stationary Bike by Stephen King (both are short stories)
Dr Who and the Daleks

Deanna | 30 comments Started Kusiel's Dart this am...

John | 109 comments Deanna, my wife probably started Kushiel's Dart about the same time you did, which was on our honeymoon. Incidentally, I'll recommend to any of you contemplating a honeymoon: DON'T DO IT! YOU'LL NEVER GET CAUGHT UP ON E-MAIL AND OTHER WEBSITES!

Just kidding, except that I probably WON'T ever get caught up.

I only got a little reading done on my honeymoon, reading The Traveler by John Twelve Hawks and The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold. I'm also reading A Mind of Its Own: How Your Brain Distorts and Deceives by Cordelia Fine.

Pleasure reading is just about over, since I'm a teacher and school will be starting soon.

Deanna | 30 comments John hope your wife enjoys it as much as I did...little LOOOOOng starting out, but once the story got rolling I quite enjoyed it. Stated Kushie's Chosen yesterday, not sure yet...keep you posted on that one.

Rowena (Rowenacherry) | 19 comments Sandi wrote: "Right now, I'm reading:

"Insufficient Mating Material" by Rowenna Cherry
i>

It's
Rowena Cherry but thank you very much, Sandi. Anyone mildly intrigued could find out a little more and perhaps even vote for the cover, clever title, and blurb at blurb contest which is only for what is on the page, not for a literary award, and voting for one book does not preclude voting for all others in the contest.

Best wishes,
Rowena Cherry

Sandi (Sandikal) I thought it was a little early for a "What are you reading in August" thread. This is from LAST August! Eek!

Jon (jonmoss) | 894 comments Might be a good idea to include the year in the future?

Kevis Hendrickson (KevisHendrickson) I'm currently reading:

Ravenshade by C.S. Marks
The Hourglass of Souls by James Todd Cochrane
The Once and Future King by T.H. White
Foundation and Empire by Isaac Asimov

Lianna Vigil (liannallama) | 42 comments I'm currently reading:
Joust and I'll probably continue with the series.

Dreamfever is coming out next week so I will get the second as soon as I can (#3 was a cliffhanger and I suspect this one will be too--dang--will I have to wait a year for the final volume!?)

I have a ton of indie authors on my list and I think I will start with
Waiting For Spring
then maybe Elfhunter A Tale Of Alterra, The World That Is and if I like it I'll finish the series

I keep hearing this will be on Kindle soon so I will read it the minute it comes out--I am loving this series. Offspring

Beth A. (BethALM) Jon wrote: "Might be a good idea to include the year in the future? "

Perhaps it would be helpful to close the previous year's thread. ie... this one...

Michael (bigorangemichael) | 186 comments

*The Book Thief
*Brother Odd
*The book of lost things
*Lightning thief
*The color of magic (just about to finish)
"

I really liked Book Thief and Lighting Thief.

Couldn't make it through Brother Odd, but I'm not a Koontz fan.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Snow Crash (other topics)
Skeleton Crew (other topics)
Elfhunter (other topics)
Waiting For Spring (other topics)
Offspring (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Rowena Cherry (other topics)