Pulp Magazine Authors and Literature Fans discussion

Specific authors/works > Harold Lamb

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Steven Harbin (StevenHarbin) | 86 comments Mod
Although I get sidetracked by other things sometimes, I've become more and more interested in pulp aventure great Harold Lamb Harold Lamb, who is also well known as a popular historian, biographer and screen writer.
A couple of links on Lamb that I'm listing (even though I may have mentioned these before in some previous postings) are his wikipedia.org entry
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Lamb

an article on Lamb published in the Wall Street Journal by editor and author
Howard Andrew Jones

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001...

I've recently been reading a collection of Lamb's stories which have Arab protagonists and / or major characters, entitled

Swords from the Desert by Harold Lamb Swords from the Desert

I'm presently on the 4th story in the collection, "The Road to Kandahar" and I'll post my reactions to this story and the others in the collection later, but the main thing about this book that peaked my interest was the forward by Jones, in which he makes note that Lamb was actually an itelligence officer for the US in Iran during WW II. Reading just a sample of Lamb's messages and notes from that period is extremely interesting. Lamb was, in addition his literary influence, a very able and extraordinary man. I think he deserves even more credit these days than he's gotten, and I'm making it a point to acquire more of his work.

message 2: by Jim, Co-moderator (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 230 comments Mod
Omar Khayyam was one of my first & best loved historical fictions.

Rogue Blades Entertainment (RogueBlades) | 5 comments I was a Lamb biography fan and collector since high school in the 1980s but it wasn't until 2005 I even knew he'd written fiction shorts.

Great author whom I greatly enjoy too. Much thanks to Howard Andrew Jones for his labor of love.

Ó Ruairc | 12 comments Thanks for posting the links, Steven. The Wall Street Journal article is especially interesting.

I'm sad to say/embarassed to admit that I was aware of him and his biographies for a long time, but always had him on my "to be gotten around too one day" list. Thankfully one day finally came!
Currently on Swords from the West by Harold Lamb and Wolf of the Steppes  The Complete Cossack Adventures, Volume One by Harold Lamb

Jim wrote: "Omar Khayyam was one of my first & best loved historical fictions."

I recently saw that this book is available at the library I go to near my job. I'll have to check it out soon. Thanks Jim.

message 7: by Jim, Co-moderator (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 230 comments Mod
I hope you like it, Steven. I figure any book that can get a teenager to read poetry (I read the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam several times.) must be pretty earth shaking.

Pulp Magazine Authors and Literature Fans

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Swords from the Desert (other topics)
Omar Khayyam (other topics)
Wolf of the Steppes: The Complete Cossack Adventures, Volume One (other topics)
Swords from the West (other topics)
Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Howard Andrew Jones (other topics)
Harold Lamb (other topics)